PDA

View Full Version : Alright, who took time off from work?

honeybee12874
09-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Curious if anyone took some time off to play Green lol.

Coincidentally, I had actually asked for October 25th off (before the announcement was even made) simply because my vacation time is accruing too much and I needed to take some time off (the classic use it or lose it scenario).

Not sure if this is some sort of sign that I should be playing Green or not.

Anyway... who took time, and what time did you take? :D

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Welfare got the whole year clear.

Evia
09-17-2019, 03:13 PM
I was planning on using 5 days plus the front and back weekend for a total of 9 days off. Unfortunately I only had 3 days remaining so I asked off the 29th, 30th and 31st. So I'll have from launch day until the 4th (minus Monday the 28th and Friday the 1st) to neckbeard! Still have to decide my class though...

Shrubwise
09-17-2019, 03:22 PM
I’ll make a character or two on release day, simply to reserve names & to have a cool character birthdate (server release day) but am not planning on actually playing on Green until a month or two afterwards. I’m not going to take time off work to compete with 30 other players in the newbie area.

GinnasP99
09-17-2019, 03:48 PM
300 other players

Fixed

Dolalin
09-17-2019, 04:02 PM
Coincides with time already booked off, plus a work trip to Malaga, though tbh I'll probably be in the bars in the evening instead.

Videri
09-17-2019, 04:28 PM
I’ll make a character or two on release day, simply to reserve names & to have a cool character birthdate (server release day) but am not planning on actually playing on Green until a month or two afterwards. I’m not going to take time off work to compete with 30 other players in the newbie area.

FYI, you can reserve names by making a character with that name on Blue. Same account.

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 04:34 PM
I submitted my vacation paperwork today lol Gonna relax on the beech squeeze the pixels between my toes.

https://i.imgur.com/aSuQAoL.png

loramin
09-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Not sure if this is some sort of sign that I should be playing Green or not.

Keep in mind that Blue ... while it certainly won't be empty ... is going to be a hell of a lot emptier. If there's anything you want on Blue (a hard to get epic mob, a popular camp like the King in Seb, some PoM thrones, whatever) you could also use your vacation to avoid the Green madness and get stuff for your Blue toon instead.

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 04:41 PM
This game is not played for STUFF!

it is played to hail lions in the karanas!

Blaspheme!

hehe

IM SO EXCITED ABOUT OUR SECTION I CAN BE WHO I REALLY AM INSIDE

The greenest halfling around.

Evia
09-17-2019, 04:48 PM
I submitted my vacation paperwork today lol Gonna relax on the beech squeeze the pixels between my toes.

https://i.imgur.com/aSuQAoL.png

How many days/weeks/months?

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Just enough that they would fire me so it's permanent lol

Chortles Snort|eS
09-17-2019, 05:25 PM
HApPLy ME ascendeD to eldER elFhooD n hAv sometHing NeeD doIn untIl thXgVn WK n XmAS 2WK in dWnTwN noRth frEePorT

at leAst Me fRiDAys vs UR friDayS gUN loOk 👀 REAL SiMuLaR tho! 😃

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 05:33 PM
There's another one!

*a wild emoji appears

Runaf
09-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Thinking about taking time off- are any of you worried about stability or downtime on launch day?

loramin
09-17-2019, 06:24 PM
Thinking about taking time off- are any of you worried about stability or downtime on launch day?

It's going to be a very challenging launch, no doubt, but we have systems admin extraordinaire Rogean running the show. Of course he's still human, so I can't guarantee it will go off without a hitch, but if anyone can pull it off it would be Rogean.

As a programmer (and admittedly not a systems administrator/dev ops person) who isn't involved in the project, I obviously can't fully assess his abilities. But from everything I have seen over the years, the guy is as pro as anyone I've ever gone to launch with in a "real" project (for instance, in a Silicon Valley start-up).

Videri
09-17-2019, 06:30 PM

I remember Dreadlands/Karnor's Castle during a big battle of...60? 80? 100? people on each side. People were desyncing left and right. That was on Red, however, which may not not have been as robust as the Blue server's hardware.

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure people here on the forums have predicted 2,000 to 4,000 players logging in in the early days. Even if they're divided among 11ish newbie zones, we'd be looking at 180-360 people per zone.

It's so hard to predict. Here we are 10 years after P99 started and even though many players have retired, some will return...plus the advent of the new server will have generated some amount of splash on the interwebs at large (as Zander noted, Kotaku wrote an article about Green (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333970))...it's anyone's guess.

Rogean
09-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Anyway... who took time

I did, but that's for obvious reasons >_>. I don't use all my time anyways and I end up losing most of it at the end of the year. So might as well.

Rogean
09-17-2019, 06:41 PM
I have no worries about the stability of the server at launch, considering we've had over 2100 people on blue before and over 400 in a single zone (People Per Zone is the only real statistic we need to be worried about). That's also on current hardware, which is nothing compared to the new server that is en route (Oh boy is it beefy :) ). Other than that, there are some things that are outside of my control that could affect the launch as well.

El-Hefe
09-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Only taking one day off. But yes, a momentous occasion such as this is once in a lifetime deal.

ThonDaMan
09-17-2019, 06:52 PM
It launches on a Friday, I'd imagine any issues could get resolved by the weekend. Very stoked for it!

Worry
09-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Welfare got the whole year clear. Lmao.

True though.

Runaf
09-17-2019, 07:47 PM
I have no worries about the stability of the server at launch, considering we've had over 2100 people on blue before and over 400 in a single zone (People Per Zone is the only real statistic we need to be worried about). That's also on current hardware, which is nothing compared to the new server that is en route (Oh boy is it beefy :) ). Other than that, there are some things that are outside of my control that could affect the launch as well.

Sold- I'll file my time off request, and donate to keep things beefy!

Thanks for all you and your team has done with this project, can't wait for the Green launch.

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 08:12 PM
If rogean launches a server that we call can log into on the launch date.

He will have done something BLIZZARD has never once been able to.

lol

slowpoke68
09-17-2019, 08:30 PM
I am semi-retired and work for myself so I have a lot more flexibility than most. But I am definitely going to be clearing my schedule for the most part for a couple of weeks after launch.

Yes I also plan on making a nice donation as well in recognition of the team's tremendous efforts and fantastic work.

Cen
09-17-2019, 09:38 PM
I cancelled the monthly weekend orgy to play hardmode with the weakest class in game. I want to become a server legend this time around.

Topgunben
09-17-2019, 09:53 PM
Welfare got the whole year clear.

lol, sadly true for too many on this box.

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 10:00 PM
I would play green99 if dying in game meant dying IRL

Chortles Snort|eS
09-17-2019, 10:04 PM
LOL

YendorLootmonkey
09-17-2019, 11:20 PM
Time off from work is easy mode... I'd like to know who divorced their spouse or dumped their significant other or had a colostomy bag installed in preparation for Green launch.

damiendev
09-18-2019, 12:52 AM
i could not, but i have it setup on my office work Station :D
also my wife is going on 2 month trip with her friend. told her work will be very busy

Tethler
09-18-2019, 03:22 AM
I remember takin 3-4 days off for one of WoW's expansions (BC or WotLK, I forget) and Blizzard got DDoS'd for like 2 days of it. I was salty as hell for wasting my vacation time. Never again will I take vacation time for an online video game. Hope all goes smoothly for you folks though!

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-18-2019, 05:47 AM
Luckily for me the school holidays seem to coincide with green release. I mean shit if im at home already it would be rude not to give it a go right?

Thrombosis
09-18-2019, 06:53 AM
I took the day off when one of the Live EQ expansions went live - Luclin or PoP I think, only for the servers to be down all day. I'm not planning on taking any time off, work Green goes live Friday evening for me anyway, will be encouraging the other half to go out with her friends that weekend though ;)

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-18-2019, 06:56 AM
I took the day off when one of the Live EQ expansions went live - Luclin or PoP I think, only for the servers to be down all day. I'm not planning on taking any time off, work Green goes live Friday evening for me anyway, will be encouraging the other half to go out with her friends that weekend though ;)

I remember taking the day off for Velious. I got the CD, went home and installed it.

Zoned to Velious, didnt work. Punted me back to Oasis. Like an idiot i took it back and said the copy didnt work.

Turns out i just didnt put the CD KEY into my account to say i owned it. DOH. Half a day wasted :D

Daldaen
09-18-2019, 08:36 AM
I’m a bit sad they didn’t decide to not post a release date and instead just launch it unannounced so that these nerds couldn’t schedule weeks of straight socking time.

Jibartik
09-18-2019, 09:14 AM
Sorry our enjoyment of life makes you feel a bit sad.

aaezil
09-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Lots of depraved pixel addicts on here dont work and just play sometimes even RMTing to pay rent and feed the habit

Dark side of evercrack

Lojik
09-18-2019, 09:18 AM
(People Per Zone is the only real statistic we need to be worried about)

Does it matter the size of the zone? Like, is 400 people in WK somehow easier to deal with than 400 in WFP? I'm assuming geographical zone size doesn't matter but just curious

Rogean
09-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Does it matter the size of the zone? Like, is 400 people in WK somehow easier to deal with than 400 in WFP? I'm assuming geographical zone size doesn't matter but just curious

No. What does help is people being more spread out though.

Like the 400 in TOV Example, I believe that was 3 or 4 actual raid forces. If it had been one giant raid force there probably would have been a lot more issues.

Llandris
09-18-2019, 12:08 PM
the new server that is en route (Oh boy is it beefy :) )

https://i.imgur.com/tUMr4zr.gif

mcoy
09-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Specs leaked:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

-Mcoy

Lojik
09-18-2019, 12:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tUMr4zr.gif

No. What does help is people being more spread out though.

Like the 400 in TOV Example, I believe that was 3 or 4 actual raid forces. If it had been one giant raid force there probably would have been a lot more issues.

Ok, I think I worded the question poorly, because being spread out is kind of what I meant. So WK could support like 1000 players if they spread out?? One full group per spawn in zone? Hehe

soronil
09-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Ok, I think I worded the question poorly, because being spread out is kind of what I meant. So WK could support like 1000 players if they spread out?? One full group per spawn in zone? Hehe

You have to realize that to the server, the physical size of the zone is really of no consequence, it's operating on the coordinates. The game looks much different to the eyes of a human through the client, than it does to the server hardware running the server software.
if you have 2 fights happening, one at 0,0 and one at 100 100, that's the same to the server as the second one being at 10000, 10000.

The extra stress comes in when you have 100 entities interacting with each other, instead of spread out into say 10 different engagements. more calculation needed I suspect

So it's a function of how many entities it has to make calculations for, with complexity increasing for each entitiy-entity interaction

loramin
09-18-2019, 01:24 PM
You have to realize that to the server, the physical size of the zone is really of no consequence, it's operating on the coordinates. The game looks much different to the eyes of a human through the client, than it does to the server hardware running the server software.
if you have 2 fights happening, one at 0,0 and one at 100 100, that's the same to the server as the second one being at 10000, 10000.

The extra stress comes in when you have 100 entities interacting with each other, instead of spread out into say 10 different engagements. more calculation needed I suspect

So it's a function of how many entities it has to make calculations for, with complexity increasing for each entitiy-entity interaction

That was a great "ELI5" of the issue!

(It's a Reddit term: literally short for "explain it like I'm five", but more generally it just means providing a great "layman" explanation of something)

Jibartik
09-18-2019, 01:24 PM
haha I love you Llandris <3

Rogean
09-18-2019, 01:44 PM
I think the better way to explain it is like this:

If you have a group of 6 players fighting an NPC, each time a player swings an attack at the NPC, there's a packet that goes out to all 6 players for the damage done, and the animation.

If you have 10 groups spread out across the zone, each damage swing is only being sent out to the 6 players in that group.

If you have 10 groups all fighting the same mob (Raid Encounter), then that one player's damage swing is sent out to all 60 players now.

This also includes position updates, which can be sent several times a second depending on how the player is moving, and those packets are only sent to other players in the direct vicinity.

Jibartik
09-18-2019, 01:53 PM
are the damage swings being sent out what people refer to as packets of death?

YendorLootmonkey
09-18-2019, 02:03 PM
are the damage swings being sent out what people refer to as packets of death?

No, what you're talking about is the packets from the server that get sent to your client telling it to drop your HP to zero because you just got DEATH TOUCHED! (or fell down a small step carrying 3,000,000 plat.)

Sheriff_Cockroach
09-21-2019, 06:49 AM
I requested off the week following launch. Ive got a ton of time saved up and was looking for an excuse to use it.

Gonna also be nice to be off halloween, might get a costume and hit the bars. I work nghts so havent had a halloween off in a while.