PDA

View Full Version : So how many of you will really go to green?

Budder
09-16-2019, 09:13 AM
So how many people will go to green? I mean all the time invested in your toons here on blue getting the Uber gear from raids and the hundreds of hours you’ve put into it.

And how about the more casual players like myself that have yet to hit level 40 or 50? Are you willing to give up your 37 warrior with twinked armor and weapons that your guildies gave to you to start over with rusty weapons and cloth/leather armor?

I think the devs who are working hard on green are doing an incredible job and I WILL donate via PayPal (I have already done it once or twice) to help with everything but I don’t see myself over on green much if at all. I hope blue keeps a decent population because I love it there.

Just my 2 coppers worth, what say you?

honeybee12874
09-16-2019, 10:14 AM
I am in the same boat as you, I only started on P99 about a year ago and my main toon is only Level 54 :) I intend to stay on Blue so that I can continue playing her and get her to Level 60! I also have my 2 alts which are still below 30, and yet both still have enough time invested that I don't want to start from scratch with them either. So... in short, there is still a LOT that I need to do on Blue with my characters.

That said, I TOTALLY understand why a lot of people are so excited about Green, especially people who already have multiple Level 60 characters on Blue.

I might still make a character on Green just so I can see what things are like in the pre-Kunark era (I never played on Live, and as I said, I started in P99 during Velious era) but I don't plan on playing a character on Green seriously. Because I still have so much to do on Blue...

And yeah, I hope Blue stays decently populated as well because it is a great community and I've really enjoyed my time so far! :)

Demoraliser
09-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Playing Blue & Green at the same damn time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Y39QnwRvY), at the same damn time, at the same damn time, at the same damn time, at the same damn time.

Red eyes no visine, I'm loc'd out on the evercrack.

Legidias
09-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Park 60's in raid locations, play green instead of BiS'ing your 5th alt

zodium
09-16-2019, 10:39 AM
not me op, blue is a good game in its own right and if I did somehow got tired of playing Gatmanno I don't see myself having any more fun farming guises or bum rushing Nagafen with 120 level 50s or what have you

Halfcell
09-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Been playing on Blue for almost 5 years and always been mad that I didn't get in on it at the beginning. I wont make that mistake a second time. All in on green.

Starting over doesn't scare me. Done it on numerous live servers, progression servers, and on P99. Nothing more classic than starting with nothing.

Budder
09-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Been playing on Blue for almost 5 years and always been mad that I didn't get in on it at the beginning. I wont make that mistake a second time. All in on green.

Starting over doesn't scare me. Done it on numerous live servers, progression servers, and on P99. Nothing more classic than starting with nothing.

I’m not scared and I agree with you %100 about it being classic, my deal is just time. I’m lucky to get a few hours in during the week. I’d LOVE to be able to dedicate hours every day but it’s just not possible. I’ll make a toon or two just to see it again but will stick with Blue.

xCry0x
09-16-2019, 11:13 AM
So how many people will go to green? I mean all the time invested in your toons here on blue getting the Uber gear from raids and the hundreds of hours you’ve put into it.

For the same reason anyone gives up one game and moves to the next.

I played blue. I got to 60. I did the kunark raid scene. I quit. I came back, did the velious raid scene. Quit again.

Green presents a forced reset - no twinks, no crowded raid scene with 5 million alts. No insanely inflated economy. Makes it a "uniquely" new experience.

If I was still leveling to 60, I agree, I'd probably not want to drop my "unfinished" character and start over.

My only dilemma this time around is do I play a class that fits my lifestyle (Druid/Necro -- something that can solo). Or a class that fits what I enjoy most, which is the social element of leveling, but will get stuck in the horrible EQ experience of spending your entire night LFG and accomplishing absolutely nothing on a day-day basis because you cannot find a group.

El-Hefe
09-16-2019, 11:14 AM
Of course I’m playing green. Blue is fine and all, but with the amount of free/cheap gear floating around it is more of a PL/Twink server and less of a classic experience.

loramin
09-16-2019, 11:20 AM
I strongly suspect most people will try Green. I also strongly suspect that many of the people who do think they're going to stick with Green, but won't, because they'll realize how much better of a game Blue is.

A fresh economy sounds great, but when you're running around with a rusty tin pot on your head and a branch you found on the ground, with an ugly UI that doesn't tell you your pet health or exact mana or XP ... not to mention the fact that Green is going to just be a mess for the first couple months ... I really think a lot of the "I'm going Green" camp is going to come back to Blue.

So to me the really interesting question isn't "how many are going to try Green?", it's how many are going to stick with it past the first couple months. I really think the "better game" is going to win over "more classic" game for a lot of people (and again, a lot of the people that think they want a more classic game).

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-16-2019, 11:50 AM
For the same reason anyone gives up one game and moves to the next.

I played blue. I got to 60. I did the kunark raid scene. I quit. I came back, did the velious raid scene. Quit again.

Green presents a forced reset - no twinks, no crowded raid scene with 5 million alts. No insanely inflated economy. Makes it a "uniquely" new experience.

If I was still leveling to 60, I agree, I'd probably not want to drop my "unfinished" character and start over.

My only dilemma this time around is do I play a class that fits my lifestyle (Druid/Necro -- something that can solo). Or a class that fits what I enjoy most, which is the social element of leveling, but will get stuck in the horrible EQ experience of spending your entire night LFG and accomplishing absolutely nothing on a day-day basis because you cannot find a group.

This is how clerics are made.

I started a cleric because i heard they were what got groups. I wasn't wrong. I ended up raiding past planes of power with a cleric from Kunark. I ended up being utterly bored with it. Facing walls in raids casting complete heal.

Not much point to this post i suppose other than warning people off making a character other than the one they want to play. Getting groups easy is initially amazing but turns to ashes in your mouth unless you really want to play it.

It's a good way to get an upper hand on a server as you will not want for groups, people will hound you for rezzes/ports and the like and more than likely you will have access to higher up loot and likely make money quicker.

But you will likely end up making a new character eventually.

In my case i ended up raiding with a character that bored me and was valuable for almost only one spell (Complete heal) and my clicky epic.

On the other hand if you can stand the above and are fine remaking yourself with a twink then maybe not a bad idea :D Not sure my testicles could bear it all over again though :D

EDIT: To be clear i loved being a cleric bar the raiding. Seems most classes had a bit more of a fun time with it due to variety (E.g. pulling etc)

I loved helping people, being wanted and a valuable class etc.

zodium
09-16-2019, 12:07 PM
I strongly suspect most people will try Green. I also strongly suspect that many of the people who do think they're going to stick with Green, but won't, because they'll realize how much better of a game Blue is.

A fresh economy sounds great, but when you're running around with a rusty tin pot on your head and a branch you found on the ground, with an ugly UI that doesn't tell you your pet health or exact mana or XP ... not to mention the fact that Green is going to just be a mess for the first couple months ... I really think a lot of the "I'm going Green" camp is going to come back to Blue.

So to me the really interesting question isn't "how many are going to try Green?", it's how many are going to stick with it past the first couple months. I really think the "better game" is going to win over "more classic" game for a lot of people (and again, a lot of the people that think they want a more classic game).

this all appears to be correct :eek:

zodium
09-16-2019, 12:11 PM
imo the most delightful thing about p99 is that in pursuit of recreating a game that was abandoned in the first place because it was legitimately never viable for a host of reasons including but not limited to loramin's list, the developers created a wonderful game in its own right. often in spite of adamant insistence by those same developers that blue is not even a real game.

astuce999
09-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Oh boy, you guys are in for a treat.

Don't be fooled by the term "vanilla". Original EQ is pure crack. It hasn't been cut with anything else. Progression servers or whatever they call it nowadays are nothing; it's methadone at best.

What you are about to experience in a couple of months on Green, is a second shot at Eden. You just have no idea yet.

You will miss sleep. You will miss work. You will forsake your family and friends.

And when you catch a glimpse of the time and it's 2:43am on a Thursday, and you're still debating whether to log or not since you've only finally gotten into this camp that drops your quest piece for lambent armor(it has stats!!), and you realize you haven't logged in any of your blue server raid toons in weeks, you will smile.

And you will remember this post.

Astuce

Chortles Snort|eS
09-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Nothing more classic than starting with nothing.

Keza
09-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Quitting blue to play green is absolutely no different from quitting EQ (whatever year that was) and eventually playing blue. It's no different from quitting one game and playing another, and believe me I've played a ton of MMOs. Anyone saying otherwise is a pixel obsessed elflord. It might be annoying for people just starting blue, but if you read what the project was about it should have been obvious that green was coming soon. Your reward for restarting is getting to play a fresh server with no bullshit.

Giving up your twink gear and groups full of twinks isn't a sacrifice.

It's classic.

Neno
09-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Original EQ is pure crack. It hasn't been cut with anything else.

????

Fifield
09-16-2019, 01:20 PM
You'd be a fool to be a fan of classic EQ and not participate in some form on a P99 Classic EQ server launch. Continue playing Blue or WoW classic or whatever it is your into at the time, but definitely make a character and join up IMO. This doesn't happen often.

Other servers try to match P99's ability to recreate this experience, P99 does it the best.

I have literally anything you could want on Blue and would give it all up without thinking for that classic group with no twinking. I /salute all you rolling green as a melee. Brave souls its going to be a very rewarding adventure

Canelek
09-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Baking soda + already-cut-cocaine was the general makeup of crack in the 80s/90s. Not sure what you kids are smoking today though.

Canelek
09-16-2019, 02:16 PM
I'll go green just because I didn't start until Kunark in 2000 and I am not really invested on Blue99. It's great, but I don't really raid or have massive amounts of shit so I do not mind starting from scratch.

xCry0x
09-16-2019, 02:48 PM
This is how clerics are made.

I started a cleric because i heard they were what got groups. I wasn't wrong. I ended up raiding past planes of power with a cleric from Kunark. I ended up being utterly bored with it. Facing walls in raids casting complete heal.

I made a cleric on p99 because I like to rotate roles when switching between MMOs and I was due up to be a healer again.

I also figured they would be desirable in groups and remembered the pain of trying to get groups on live vanilla wow.

I can say that from my experience in p99, being a cleric didn't inherently make it easier to get a group. Groups only need 1, and there are a pile of other people making them for the same "it will be easy to get groups" reason.

So I agree, play what you want to play. Except rangers. Nobody ever needs a ranger. :p

Axlrose
09-16-2019, 03:15 PM
When I discovered Project 1999 three to five years ago, basically I copied my Live characters verbatim. I have added a few more since then, but since I am still adventuring on Blue - highest character only level 29, no real point to jump to Green. By the time I "catch up" to where I am on Blue, Green will be recycled!

reznor_
09-16-2019, 03:18 PM
I will give green a shot, my friend who I originally played eq with in 1999 is starting there too. We'll duo and see how it goes. I will plan to remain raiding here though.

soronil
09-16-2019, 04:36 PM

That's interesting. Obviously people have characters they are attached to, but I don't really see how blue is a better game to roll a new character on unless what you value is being able to easily twink a melee class and solo your way to the upper levels. For me, I am looking for a classic experience / nostalgia. Otherwise, there are simply better games to play.

There is really not a ton of changes to the game between start and end of timeline, mostly content. Sure you get 4 more hotbar buttons and a pet window on blue. It's not game changing for most. So really it's all about the itemization / economy / mmo dynamic (having people to play with)

Leveling on blue is made trivial by velious twink gear
Leveling on blue feels empty because you don't loot anything that matters (because you're twinked, even if it's your first char, you'll aquire high level gear gear quickly)
Leveling on blue is often solo, or in 1 area per level range. (if you can even find a group at your level range, there are some dead spots)
Traveling on blue is trivial. So many druids, so much plat. blows my mind to see all the level 10s in my casual guild begging for ports every 30 minutes to go try a new place. We just ran everywhere on live. Ports were a luxury.
Being on blue as a relatively new player surrounded by people that have been there forever.... meh.

As someone who really has just been on blue for the last month, the experience is a bit hollow. Will green be everything people hope it is? Probably not, but hopefully closer. I am looking forward to starting from scratch and slowly building up a character or two at launch. Anticipating then doing Temple of Solusek Ro quests at a point in the timeline when that gear is relevant. Experiencing as many dungeons as i can in a level / gear appropriate group setting.

Zeboim
09-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Pretty much there with Soronil. Blue may be the better game mechanically, but it's also packed full of twinks, the progression is completely buggered, and 90% of the quests and content are wasted as suboptimal or pointless. It definitely makes for a more empty feeling world. Players in Green are going to have to use the whole buffalo due to gear/money scarcity, mob scarcity and camp competition. It will be interesting to see if it pans out. Maybe it won't, maybe it will. Hard to say.

Perhaps what I'm interested in even more than pure classic however, is Kunark and Velious launches with timeline appropriate resources. That's going to be a pretty different ballgame for most people than how it was on Blue. I'm hoping we'll actually see the lesser traveled Kunark dungeons get packed full of people, major activity in LOIO, the boats through TD being populated, people actually doing all the assorted quests etc.

Jibartik
09-16-2019, 05:05 PM
I have had characters that have had the best items in the game.

And I have had characters that have the worst items in the game.

The latter is way more fun and just as much of a pointless waste of time as the former! 8)

dwarf_cleric420
09-16-2019, 05:17 PM
End game on green will hopefully be better than blue due to accurate timeline and not having BiS gear in every slot on every raid character when the next expansion hits and not having dozens of mage alts to park at every raid target

Razerpaw
09-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Staying on blue here. I would love to play Green for the fun of it but I already know what a shit show it's going to be with all the farmers. Green will be fun for a small group of people that dominate all the fun things.

ThonDaMan
09-16-2019, 05:36 PM
I'm still gonna keep playing blue for some casual raiding & such. I don't see any need to 'quit' it.

But I'm honestly kind of stoked for green because I never really got to experience the true classic dungeons when they were hopping. Cazic Thule, SolB, Lower Guk, all are kind of ghost towns these days and bring your own group.

I started EQ in October '99 and was a n00b so I didn't hit 40's and 50's until Velious was out and by then nobody was going to those zones. And I missed it on this server, joining after Kunark was out.

Wurl
09-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Everyone in this thread saying they won't play green will definitely end up playing green when their guild/online friends all start on green.

Zeboim
09-16-2019, 05:40 PM
End game on green will hopefully be better than blue due to accurate timeline and not having BiS gear in every slot on every raid character when the next expansion hits and not having dozens of mage alts to park at every raid target

While there will be a ton of farming going on by neckbeards, at least the List exists... and so does Kedge. Farming in Kedge with era appropriate gear is an interesting ballgame.

soronil
09-16-2019, 05:42 PM
Staying on blue here. I would love to play Green for the fun of it but I already know what a shit show it's going to be with all the farmers. Green will be fun for a small group of people that dominate all the fun things.

Other than guise / mana stone / rubicite what exactly do you anticipate being farmed? Maybe CoS and some other stuff.

Those items are >0.1% of the content, and will only be around for a small part of the timeline. I don't get why people think that people farming a few prenurf items is going to ruin the game.

Either you are playing green exclusively to get that stuff, in which case you have to deal with the issues you are anticipating, or you are playing green for other reasons, and this just doesn't bother you that much.

Vx36
09-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Well this is what makes green sound so good. I wouldn't be playing Everquest if I wanted a server where everything was dirt cheap and made the game easier. Maybe I am a masochist but I usually mod games to make them harder so it will be great to play an mmo where other players have to suffer too. I'd make an Iksar SK on day one if I could just because it takes 2x as long to level and that's 2x as long I get to enjoy the journey.

Zeboim
09-16-2019, 05:52 PM
What sucks imo is when you have the tin pot and the stick and the guy next to you has a Fungi and a T-Staff. If everyone is starting from scratch, it's about paring your expectations more than it is feeling you suck or are behind.

soronil
09-16-2019, 05:58 PM
I'd make an Iksar SK on day one if I could just because it takes 2x as long to level and that's 2x as long I get to enjoy the journey.

You can make a troll SK day 1. Same (168%) exp penalty. Same regeneration. Trolls can wear plate, but no AC boost, probably evens out pre velious. Trolls aren't as hated as iksar, but are pretty hated in most places. Also, arguably it will be easier to aquire good gear quicker on an Iksar vs a day 1 Troll due to the server having been dropped gear for a year.

tl;dr sounds like you need to be playing a troll SK!

Vx36
09-16-2019, 06:11 PM
You can make a troll SK day 1. Same (168%) exp penalty. Same regeneration. Trolls can wear plate, but no AC boost, probably evens out pre velious. Trolls aren't as hated as iksar, but are pretty hated in most places. Also, arguably it will be easier to aquire good gear quicker on an Iksar vs a day 1 Troll due to the server having been dropped gear for a year.

tl;dr sounds like you need to be playing a troll SK!
If only Trolls weren't so ugly lol. Maybe I'll still give it a try.

Infernoman
09-16-2019, 06:12 PM
I started blue last winter but I will go to green. see what true classic EQ is like.

dwarf_cleric420
09-16-2019, 06:32 PM
If only Trolls weren't so ugly lol. Maybe I'll still give it a try.
Just get a mask before they're gone

loramin
09-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Well this is what makes green sound so good. I wouldn't be playing Everquest if I wanted a server where everything was dirt cheap and made the game easier. Maybe I am a masochist but I usually mod games to make them harder so it will be great to play an mmo where other players have to suffer too. I'd make an Iksar SK on day one if I could just because it takes 2x as long to level and that's 2x as long I get to enjoy the journey.

To be clear, I'm not saying the fresh economy (or even the lack of pet windows, custom UI, or other "objectively good" things) make Green worse than Blue. Many people will enjoy Green precisely for those things.

What I'm saying is, there's a venn diagram. There's a circle of people who think they'll like Green, and a circle who actually will. The two circles don't overlap fully: there's a decent chunk of the "think they'll like Green" group who won't actually like it.

One reason some won't like it because the game really is harder with a fresh economy: mobs will take longer to kill, groups will wipe more often, etc. Everyone talking in the forum can say how great all that is. but it's a whole other thing to actually play and sit through longer fights, go through more CRs, sit their for hours unable to get ports, etc. and still say "I <3 Green".

Again, some people absolutely will ... I just think a fair number of the "Green > Blue" crowd in the forum is going to change their mind when they get in the game.

Vx36
09-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Again, some people absolutely will ... I just think a fair number of the "Green > Blue" crowd in the forum is going to change their mind when they get in the game.Yeah that's probably true.

Just get a mask before they're gone
That's a good idea but I wonder how realistic it will be to get even with lists.

Vart
09-16-2019, 07:29 PM
The 1-60 game on blue is such a enjoyable experience on our little server , I have 6 lvl 60s , 1 alt at 57 and another two in the 40s.( all from part time play over the past 6 years ) Green should offer great 1-60 leveling game play.

But the best part about green is that at least for a while there wont be a artificially inflated number of level 60 toons.

Green wont have Chardok aoe , swarming a whole zone, orcs scalps or goblin ears
( are both those last 2 free xp quest gone? ).

The first few years here while grouping no less then 10x I read the words , " I couldn't take 54(or 59) I paid for Chardok aoe "

These are people who would have never made 60 even once , they would have burned out , never finished the grind to 60 and would have left for another game. ( even though the "grind " can be such a fun journey )

Hopefully the lessons learned from blue will translate to a less top heavy green ( at least for a while )

NegaStoat
09-16-2019, 07:54 PM
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Telling players that want to select a shadowknight, paladin, ranger, or bard that they have to eat a 40% experience penalty on top of their racial penalty while trying to enjoy the classic side of grouping for 2/3's of the server's life span is too much to ask for. I'm giving it a pass.

Jibartik
09-16-2019, 07:57 PM
I feel like if you are excited to play on green99

a 40% experience modifier is not a concern

Jibartik
09-16-2019, 08:01 PM
they should put a 400% penalty on all of us! :p

xCry0x
09-16-2019, 08:24 PM
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Telling players that want to select a shadowknight, paladin, ranger, or bard that they have to eat a 40% experience penalty on top of their racial penalty while trying to enjoy the classic side of grouping for 2/3's of the server's life span is too much to ask for. I'm giving it a pass.

Yup - I pointed to the dev letter on this topic in the other thread about the exp modifiers.

The purpose of the penalty was because at launch, hybrids were expected to be more powerful and the penalty was intended to balance it out.

Same for racial penalties -- ogre warriors were designed to be better than other options so they get an exp penalty to make it fair.

The fact that it was a penalty shared across the group was so that when your 5 buddies play together, 4 of you don't constantly out level your troll SK friend. So the penalty is "shared" so everyone levels at the same rate.

All great logic -- but then they admitted it was flawed and removed the class penalties and shared modifiers.

Its not like I'm going to sit here and cry and refuse to play green because of an exp penalty, I don't even want to play those classes or races.

But, I think it is one of these scenarios where the "Its classic" argument is really silly.

Racial modifiers, sure. Hybrids? No. Splitting it across the group? No.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-16-2019, 08:24 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kiPMApg.gif?1

Vexenu
09-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Honestly, the game is a lot more fun and engaging when you have to scrape and claw your way up from literally nothing. I'm talking about those first few levels where you're literally saving every copper piece you can to buy bags and spells. When you're happy to group with anyone just because the situation of leveling practically naked and untwinked is so dangerous and precarious. That is real EQ. Getting through the early levels of EQ and establishing your character is one of the most satisfying experiences in gaming. The game is really not about uber loots, dragon kills and bat phones. Most players have completely forgotten that you can get a tremendous thrill from looting a large bag and a cracked staff from a decaying skeleton. With Green, they will remember.

Jibartik
09-16-2019, 08:39 PM
The purpose of the penalty was because at launch, hybrids were expected to be more powerful and the penalty was intended to balance it out.

What if only a few players play paladins or rangers or whatever because of the penalty, then that means the brave hero's that chose those classes get to be more unique.

And being unique is the most powerful pixel of them all.

So that means maybe.. the 40% penalty is in and of its self is what made the the most powerful class the most powerful after all.

https://i.imgur.com/zvXOXpZ.gif

xCry0x
09-16-2019, 08:42 PM
What if only a few players play paladins or rangers or whatever because of the penalty, then that means the brave hero's that chose those classes get to be more unique.

So that means maybe.. the 40% penalty is in and of its self is what made the the most powerful class the most powerful after all.

https://i.imgur.com/zvXOXpZ.gif

:D:D:D

I mean, somebody needs to eat death touches once raids open up. Thankfully, those brave souls triumphed over the penalty to fill the role of sacrificial lamb.

Videri
09-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Honestly, the game is a lot more fun and engaging when you have to scrape and claw your way up from literally nothing. I'm talking about those first few levels where you're literally saving every copper piece you can to buy bags and spells. When you're happy to group with anyone just because the situation of leveling practically naked and untwinked is so dangerous and precarious. That is real EQ. Getting through the early levels of EQ and establishing your character is one of the most satisfying experiences in gaming. The game is really not about uber loots, dragon kills and bat phones. Most players have completely forgotten that you can get a tremendous thrill from looting a large bag and a cracked staff from a decaying skeleton. With Green, they will remember.

Amen. Let us remember.

Vizax_Xaziv
09-16-2019, 09:17 PM

Indeed that's the best way to experience the game. When you're in Unrest and people are looting ringmail and bronze as gear upgrades etc.

Feelsgoodman

vetia
09-16-2019, 10:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kiPMApg.gif?1

You crack me up

Zepox
09-16-2019, 10:50 PM
I will play green just to obtain some legacy drops. Then wait for green to merge into blue.

Halfcell
09-16-2019, 11:01 PM
I will play green just to obtain some legacy drops. Then wait for green to merge into blue.

I love this argument. Like "I am going to play green for 6 months so that in 3 years I will have something on blue!"

Please, if you had that kind of discipline and foresight you would be rich in real life and not posting here (and dont bother with "but I am" shit. No you are not and there is nothing you could ever post on an internet forum to make me believe you).

People that try this, and a few will, are going to be sorely disappointed. 3 years is a long time to wait for something on a server that has nothing else to wait for ever again.

gredoo
09-16-2019, 11:15 PM
I love this argument. Like "I am going to play green for 6 months so that in 3 years I will have something on blue!"

Please, if you had that kind of discipline and foresight you would be rich in real life and not posting here (and dont bother with "but I am" shit. No you are not and there is nothing you could ever post on an internet forum to make me believe you).

People that try this, and a few will, are going to be sorely disappointed. 3 years is a long time to wait for something on a server that has nothing else to wait for ever again.

I'm assuming most will play on green sometimes over those 3 years. Considering we can play on both blue and green at the same time, you can grind on green while you EC on blue or do dap ports, wait for a target to pop, etc. Folks will come back on green at kunark and vel to do some raiding and get server firsts.

Green will probably bring in some new players, especially if it gets some hype on twitch.tv and if you're going to start EQ with nothing you might as well start on green.

Zepox
09-16-2019, 11:54 PM

You escalated that quickly. I’m going to green to not make a fortune one day on blue. It’s just I’d like a twink cleric or shaman with a Guise and a manastone.

However, enjoy your trolling.

damiendev
09-17-2019, 02:18 AM
i will play on green, because thats the only closest classic experience you can get.
blue is full of twinks and economy is borken, TLP are full of krono farmers and bots.

Gustoo
09-17-2019, 02:33 AM
Yes, old world pre kunark everquest is a beautiful thing.

When you are leveling up every piece of gear is worth having and gearing up. Fine steel weapons are pretty darn good as far as weapons go, god forbid you get yourself something magical.

Every item has a pretty well conceived place in the classic world. When kunark comes out all of that stuff becomes trash can level right away. Look at a maxxed out classic era player and its quite basic until the planes come out and even then its pretty basic. It is glorious. You can't get it back. That 1 year of classic is the best eq that money can't buy.

Thankx to devs to making it happen a third time.

Krone90
09-17-2019, 03:17 AM
Dang i wanna make a Barbarian shammy so bad, but that darn run through Karana's is a long trip, even more so with my rusty trash can gear lol, I wanna be part of the great barbarian migration when we the ice folk trek bravely into the world to freeport lol...... all huddled in a group hugging each other in fear lmao......

Dolalin
09-17-2019, 04:33 AM
I've been bouncing around a lot on my choice of class, but I think I'm settling on female ogre shammy.

Feer and Inno will be the least crowded noob zones by my estimation. Should be pretty good for leveling up.

Shammy can solo (dot kite in the worst case) so that fills the need for a class that can solo (I have a baby at home).

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-17-2019, 05:23 AM
I just restarted (on blue after 15 year break) and im actually sold on green. Make something self sufficient i guess to weather the initial storm.

As much as blue so far has been fun there seems to be a comical amount of money floating around. In the first few hours i was so excited to find a "purse" so i could hold more items.

Someone gave me a backpack. I was so pleased. But i almost miss the wonder of scrounging up the money to pay someone who has put the work in to learn tailoring enough.

Trading materials with the tailor for hopes he skills up and you get a cheap bag.

I remember playing classic EQ and finding a bronze BP outside karnors and almost shaking with excitement.

I think thats what i want to go back to for good or ill. A place where monetary inflation hasnt devalued the feeling of finding something new.

fugazi
09-17-2019, 05:51 AM
EQ is only fun when it is somewhat challenging. Running around in banded mail with quested weapons will definitely make places like SolA, Mistmoore, and Highkeep more exciting, so yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

And as an added bonus, you might for once actually use the items from nameds you happen to kill! Imagine that!

Barkingturtle
09-17-2019, 06:37 AM
Green is the server I've wanted to play on since I first heard of Project99 something like 12 years ago--Classic Everquest.

Blue has been at best Classic-adjacent since like the third year of Kunark. Personally I never even set foot on Velious because the idea of playing regularly on a server where a significant portion of the population has multiple 60's parked all over Norrath is a bummer.

Axlrose
09-17-2019, 12:45 PM
While catching up on this thread, I believe too many people are looking at their potential future with rose colored glasses.

- On Blue, anyone could have created a brand new character and set forth with whatever they started with and found along the way. But most people found that boring and slow and thus twinked themselves.

- On Blue, anyone could have set forth and just adventured and gained experience for the thrill of the moment. But how many power leveling trips did these same players be a part of, since the lower levels are bad and the higher levels is where the excitement is?!?

- On Blue, how many players not a part of the <top of the line guild here> gathered enough number of players with the skill sets to topple that <top of the line guild here>, so they can claim that "phat lewt"?

Yes, on Day 01, everybody will start off on very even footing. But everybody that is familiar with the game will know the best paths to take and what to avoid. Classes that do not rely heavily on gear will be the first classes to reach level 50 within a month, if not sooner. These maxed out characters will begin farming for their alts. Guilds will form with players amassing these maxed out characters and power leveled alts to lock down the "phat lewt" items on lists - their numbers will push the casual players out. The "New Experience" translates into "Less Competition"!

Unless you are one of the top players running amuck in the game, almost everybody else will be trailing behind. What might start as a great experience will quickly fade into "grind" with people quietly drifting back to Blue since there, they will feel their characters have some semblance of power.

But I could be wrong...

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
I wish green server had 10,000% exp penalty for all classes.

Id definitely play that, would the rest of you?

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 01:34 PM

No, it should be 10,000% exp loss on death. Now that's a server mechanic I can get behind. Very demoralizing death. :mad:

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 01:41 PM
No, it should be 10,000% exp loss on death. Now that's a server mechanic I can get behind. Very demoralizing death. :mad:

HELL YES!

Ataxio
09-17-2019, 04:19 PM
0 Interest in Green. Blue is my perma home, far too much invested here to turn away.

If anything I'm looking forward to Green coming out to relieve some of the pressure on blue and drag the neck beards away... If only for a moment.

Verityn
09-17-2019, 05:13 PM
I love love love to start on new servers. I'm like this with any MMO just like I'm currently playing wow classic, but EQ was my first. I played the day it launched in 1999 and I jumped on a couple new servers when they launched a year or 2 later.

There's just nothing like seeing the newbie areas swarming and the towns buzzing with life. It also makes it easier to groups which is all I like to do.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-17-2019, 07:44 PM
all O uS iS goiN 2 GrEeN!!!!

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 08:13 PM
Killing level 12 lions is stupid!

Killing level 62 lions is where it's at!

I never understood this dichotomy.

Videri
09-17-2019, 09:02 PM
0 Interest in Green. Blue is my perma home, far too much invested here to turn away.

If anything I'm looking forward to Green coming out to relieve some of the pressure on blue and drag the neck beards away... If only for a moment.

I'm so glad there are lots of people who feel this way. I'm going to play on Green and I believe it is going to be overcrowded. I believe I will be able to find a way to advance and have fun, though. But anyway, thank you and everyone else who will not play on Green.

Also thanks to everyone who doesn't have kids. RL server has a population issue as well. Not making more of us is a really humane way to mitigate the problem.

Vidar
09-17-2019, 09:20 PM
I will definitely go to green permanently. no question. The recycle feature is what is missing on blue imo. very hyped for that.

Shourty
09-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Me. I'm going to be there. It's all about the game play. Red, blue or green,. It's the game.

dwarf_cleric420
09-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Looking forward to rerolling a new class/race combo every three years

Baler
10-02-2019, 06:26 PM
I for sure will

Cyph
10-03-2019, 01:00 AM
I recently returned to P99 in preparation for Green, but having found my footing again on Blue, I don't think I'll be changing.

Graventhel
10-03-2019, 02:59 AM

I am stealing this for all time.

magusfire24
10-03-2019, 08:31 AM
I will be on Green full time. Never really played much on blue and I am looking for the old school feel and challenge that green will offer. Starting from scratch with everyone and learning how to get built up.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 08:34 AM
I started on blue, before it was blue, back in October of 2009 but left in late 2010 due to real life BS. I came back here after trying out classic WoW and decided not to get serious on blue since green is launching.

Green is the true vision of the project. As close to the classic era as you can get. I already stopped using the pet window on blue and am using the self created macros to get used to everything.

But yeah, I want classic! So I will be on green on October 25th!! :)

Xallis
10-03-2019, 09:36 AM
I was already on the annual hiatus from blue when green got announced so no reason to go back really. Blue is pretty played out for me and I look forward to grouping in zones unpopular on blue. Cleric was my first to 60 so not having that lifeline for levelling other toons will raise the stakes. All in on green here.

magusfire24
10-03-2019, 09:38 AM
I started on blue, before it was blue, back in October of 2009 but left in late 2010 due to real life BS. I came back here after trying out classic WoW and decided not to get serious on blue since green is launching.

Green is the true vision of the project. As close to the classic era as you can get. I already stopped using the pet window on blue and am using the self created macros to get used to everything.

But yeah, I want classic! So I will be on green on October 25th!! :)

What kind of play times you gonna have Deathrydar? And what race/class do you think you will start as?

I think I will be a high Elf mage. Loved my gnome mage on live except for being so short.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 09:54 AM
What kind of play times you gonna have Deathrydar? And what race/class do you think you will start as?

I think I will be a high Elf mage. Loved my gnome mage on live except for being so short.

My play time will be limited, so I am thinking Human Necromancer, but that can change. I never played an Intelligence caster, and never really wanted to, to be honest. I always played plate wearing melee classes or a priest healing class.

I will be playing on Tuesday and Thursdays from around 6pm-9pm EST and probably some during the weekend. The weekend time will vary and can range from a few hours on one weekend day, to the entire weekend, depending on if my wife can find anything to do while I play.

One of the major issues with my playtime back in 2009-2010 on this server was my ex-wife. My current wife is more understanding of the issue and actually wants me to be happy lol.

magusfire24
10-03-2019, 09:56 AM
My play time will be limited, so I am thinking Human Necromancer, but that can change. I never played an Intelligence caster, and never really wanted to, to be honest. I always played plate wearing melee classes or a priest healing class.

I will be playing on Tuesday and Thursdays from around 6pm-9pm EST and probably some during the weekend. The weekend time will vary and can range from a few hours on one weekend day, to the entire weekend, depending on if my wife can find anything to do while I play.

One of the major issues with my playtime back in 2009-2010 on this server was my ex-wife. My current wife is more understanding of the issue and actually wants me to be happy lol.

It always helps if you have good wife faction. I am in EST but work Monday through Friday at the pharmacy and get home a bit late. I might see you on Weekends then.

Either way . Will be a great time!

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 09:57 AM
It always helps if you have good wife faction. I am in EST but work Monday through Friday at the pharmacy and get home a bit late. I might see you on Weekends then.

Either way . Will be a great time!

Yes it will be. I am a mon-fri worker myself, but all day time shifts. I will let you know what my character's name is once it launches and if you ever need anything, a simple /tell will be all it takes! :)

Jethrayne
10-03-2019, 12:50 PM
I'll wait two weeks before I play there, but I will play there. It'll be nice to experience EQ without seeing twinks almost everywhere.

Mblake81
10-03-2019, 12:58 PM
I am planning on playing a naked necro until I get planes robes.

Will not be power gaming though. I do hope the devs implement player disconnect for having coms running. I will not be using any, if any guilds have issue with it I will have to tell them to go sit on it.

Verityn
10-03-2019, 01:41 PM
I do hope the devs implement player disconnect for having coms running.

Is that really a possibility? I guess I wouldn't mind having an excuse to not be on voice chat.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Is that really a possibility? I guess I wouldn't mind having an excuse to not be on voice chat.

What would you need an excuse to not be on voice chat? Just don't be on it....

Verityn
10-03-2019, 01:52 PM
What would you need an excuse to not be on voice chat? Just don't be on it....

I like being anti-social without anyone knowing I'm being anti-social because people sometimes take things like that personal. Unfortunately I care a lot about the feelings of people I play with.

Mblake81
10-03-2019, 01:53 PM

A forum user had mentioned something like that but none of the devs. I agree with it though, no voice ever. Can argue its just a distraction and ruins immersion in a RPG. :o

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 01:59 PM
I like being anti-social without anyone knowing I'm being anti-social because people sometimes take things like that personal. Unfortunately I care a lot about the feelings of people I play with.

I see. Personally I would just say "no" if I was asked, but I understand everyone is different.

But yeah, voice chats are a no-no with me! I like to fully immerse myself into Norrath!!

Verityn
10-03-2019, 02:09 PM
I see. Personally I would just say "no" if I was asked, but I understand everyone is different.

But yeah, voice chats are a no-no with me! I like to fully immerse myself into Norrath!!

My immersion is part of it too. I think with EQ the combat is slow enough that you can handle teamwork in text chat and maybe some macros if you necessary. With some other MMO's I felt the need to use voice chat to make it easier to quickly give out and receive commands.

Sillyturtle
10-03-2019, 02:13 PM
The thing that excites me the most is the clean economy.

Yes you can do things like join Auld Lang Syne and I was there, I was the first character invited after the ALS guild was formed by splintering off from Ways of Yore. But it’s not truly the same as an entire server starting from scratch.

That said there are a lot of classic changes I just don’t like. I don’t see why I can’t use a custom UI. The content is the same the only thing different is that I can see things like exp percentages and enjoy different layout and coloured window panels.

I can even deal with no pet window but like some of these changes are just unnecessary. Thankfully the book thing isn’t so bad.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 02:18 PM
That said there are a lot of classic changes I just don’t like. I don’t see why I can’t use a custom UI. The content is the same the only thing different is that I can see things like exp percentages and enjoy different layout and coloured window panels.

Because it was not possible to do that in Everquest back in the classic era and this project's goal is to recreate EverQuest in its classic era. <3

TheCowSays
10-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Returning to P99 for this event.

I was a beta tester Barbarian runnin through Everfrost- amazed at this game. I will return to my roots and once again run the hills of Norrath!

That UI will be tough, but EQ is all about that tough life!

Looking forward to restarting in nov2020 for an Iksar too!!

Gustoo
10-03-2019, 02:36 PM
OOo yeah good times ahead.

Voice chat for EQ sucks definitely not classic.

I don't see how they can force it. People that want to be smart can you a cell phone.

Its an obviously superior way to communicate I just don't like hearing people talk to me.

Casual life.

magusfire24
10-03-2019, 02:39 PM
I like how in classic EQ you had to pay attention to your target. Cause you could root and snare yourself and get trampled when trying to kite. Not that I ever rooted myself...... LOL

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 02:40 PM
I like how in classic EQ you had to pay attention to your target. Cause you could root and snare yourself and get trampled when trying to kite. Not that I ever rooted myself...... LOL

I DoT, DD and Root myself on a regular basis...

Vexenu
10-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Maybe there should be a guild formed on Green specifically for players who don't like using voice chat. It should be called <Silent But Deadly>.

magusfire24
10-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Maybe there should be a guild formed on Green specifically for players who don't like using voice chat. It should be called <Silent But Deadly>.

Good name. I would be happy to join. I want to be in a good guild when we start up. Just casual players and have fun.

Mblake81
10-03-2019, 02:55 PM
OOo yeah good times ahead.

Voice chat for EQ sucks definitely not classic.

I don't see how they can force it. People that want to be smart can you a cell phone.

Its an obviously superior way to communicate I just don't like hearing people talk to me.

Casual life.

True, power gamers will find a way. EQ was not designed for it and I think its game breaking. So its a big no for me. The top raiding guilds will for sure be using them, it helps them sit on the spawns. :o

BlackBellamy
10-03-2019, 03:03 PM
I don't like voice chat because once you hear your guild leaders voice crack, it's never the same again.

Baler
10-03-2019, 03:31 PM
I don't like voice chat because once you hear your guild leaders voice crack, it's never the same again.

This is more real than people think haha

Nirgon
10-03-2019, 04:07 PM
If you don't care about classic EQ (most of you don't) keep your QoL changes and overfarmed blue box.

No one wants to take that away, at least certainly not me.

Just keep ur nose outta green being so classic you can't even look at it.

Danth
10-03-2019, 04:12 PM
This is more real than people think haha

So very true. Talking on comms doesn't bother me. Hearing normal folks doesn't bother me. Having to listen to high-pitched nerd voices? THAT ticks me off, and there's a bunch of those types on P99. I'd rather listen to a chorus of yowling alleycats.

Danth

Azoraa
10-03-2019, 04:25 PM

No, because all I see you post constantly all over this forum is pushing for the most ridiculous things to make the game impossible to progress. If this post here doesn't prove that, I don't know what else would. Maybe you can play with your monitor off would be best (if you are even actually going to play, that is) <lol>

Jungleberry
10-03-2019, 05:04 PM
As someone that recently came back to EQ via P99...I will 100% be playing on green. It's going to really hit that nostalgia chord for me and a few buddies.

Verityn
10-03-2019, 05:20 PM
No, because all I see you post constantly all over this forum is pushing for the most ridiculous things to make the game impossible to progress. If this post here doesn't prove that, I don't know what else would. Maybe you can play with your monitor off would be best (if you are even actually going to play, that is) <lol>

I'm suddenly picturing someone kiting 25 mobs as a bard with only those donkey kong drums.

Mblake81
10-03-2019, 07:34 PM
I want to relive a classic EQ memory. Seeing a necro camping the freeport gate guards, the pet was casting a floating skull spell. I was so confused. I want to be that necro now.

-Nerf Soulfire & Recharges for green. Too many power gamers know of them.

Xallis
10-03-2019, 07:52 PM
paying for 3 phone lines so you can talk to people while playing is definitely classic

Mblake81
10-03-2019, 08:13 PM
paying for 3 phone lines so you can talk to people while playing is definitely classic

:D

It's why we only have a single chat box, they figured we would be chatting on the phone with people around the globe.

One of the reasons frequently cited for the decline of the genre is the contemperaneous rise of social media. It's become a truism to assert that turn-of-the-century MMORPGs were the social media of their day. For many people, playing an online game provided their first and for a while their only experience of talking in real time to friends and strangers around the world.

This is entirely true. What's less well-reported, I think, is the focus the primitive technology of the late 20th and very early 21st centuries brought to the mix. In those increasingly difficult to remember days we tended to do one thing at a time. Well, perhaps not one. Fewer, though. Certainly fewer. If you played EverQuest you had to concentrate on that. There were consequences if you let your attention slide. Corpse runs. Experience loss. Misery and despair.

More than that, the game itself resisted distraction. You could not tab out to look something up on Allakhazam let alone check your email. EverQuest could not be windowed. It used all your screen space and all your processing power. You played it until you'd had enough then you closed the program and did something else.

gl0ri0s0
10-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Never played a druid, necro or enchanter in all my years of playing. Even retail. But come green I will have a druid & necro. Still skeered to play chanter. Too much responsibility..... :eek:

LordMorbos
10-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Quitting blue to play green is absolutely no different from quitting EQ (whatever year that was) and eventually playing blue. It's no different from quitting one game and playing another, and believe me I've played a ton of MMOs. Anyone saying otherwise is a pixel obsessed elflord. It might be annoying for people just starting blue, but if you read what the project was about it should have been obvious that green was coming soon. Your reward for restarting is getting to play a fresh server with no bullshit.

Giving up your twink gear and groups full of twinks isn't a sacrifice.

It's classic.

Throatseeker
10-11-2019, 12:48 AM

You think you do but you don't....sounds familiar. :P

Natewest1987
10-11-2019, 12:54 AM
Strictly from the perspective of someone who watches the forums but wouldn’t touch blue, period, I’m coming for green and only green.

Quinas
10-11-2019, 01:37 AM
I initially said I wouldn't focus much on Green (and wrote about it). But a few months away from Blue has meant my connection to those characters is slightly less strong, and I am ready for a new challenge.

Also I logged into my Ench last night and noticed a hotbar gone so I'd basically have to change my muscle memory anyway now. ;) Might as well reroll right??

Chortles Snort|eS
10-11-2019, 08:00 AM
if u no QuiT bLuE foR gReeN
u R no aBouT eVeQueSt

Gustoo
10-11-2019, 09:25 AM
I think the only people with anything to lose is folks closing in on BIS status on blue, who really care about that.

For everyone else I don't see how green has a downside and it's a once in a blue moon experience.

Deathrydar
10-11-2019, 09:27 AM
I think the only people with anything to lose is folks closing in on BIS status on blue, who really care about that.

For everyone else I don't see how green has a downside and it's a once in a blue moon experience.

If there are more than 1500 players online at one time, that is a true downside!

magusfire24
10-11-2019, 09:37 AM
If there are more than 1500 players online at one time, that is a true downside!

Nice thing about EQ is if you try hard enough you can always find a place to exp that isnt crowded. There are some very out of the way areas I know of.

Deathrydar
10-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Nice thing about EQ is if you try hard enough you can always find a place to exp that isnt crowded. There are some very out of the way areas I know of.

I know. But, first, the chances of no one else knowing about those locations is pretty slim.

Secondly, there aren't many of those locations on the original three continents.

Well, Odus isn't even really a continent as it has like three zones so we really only have two continents.

Baler
10-11-2019, 09:49 AM
https://i.imgur.com/XzbyD8X.gif

ZarkinFrood
10-11-2019, 11:12 AM
All in on Green. I'm at the point where I feel done with all of my characters on Blue and get bored when I log in. I don't want to raid anymore.

I have different goals for green. Much of my time on blue was spent power gaming and blasting through the lowbie content. I'm ready to switch it up and enjoy the pain and suffering of those low levels. I want to be excited to loot magic boots so I can kick wisps. I want the sense of accomplishment of finishing my class armor set after (literally) running all around Norrath. I despise tunnelquest and it's boring af when you have the same gear 1-55 with nothing to look forward to.

I've been restless at the destination for too long and it's time for a new journey.

Tecmos Deception
10-11-2019, 11:16 AM
It's an MMORPG. Having everything is boring. Trying new stuff and the power creep as you level up and seeing a bunch of different areas at different levels with different people is what it's all about, even from the perspective of a powery-gamer anti-social sort of fella like me.

AKA if I play p99 again, of fucking course it'll be on whatever the newest server is. I guess if you play little enough that you never feel like you've gotten to the point where you've seen it all and done it all, then staying on blue doesn't make NO sense. But starting fresh with everyone else and moving forwards at a respectable pace instead of playing on a server where the current climate was created as a result of a decade of exploits, bugs, cheaters, and powergaming and there is (nearly) no future changes from where the server is right now? Err... whatever floats your boat!

Kanuvan
10-11-2019, 11:25 AM
the worst thing that can happen to a MMO is a power creeped top heavy server like blue, blue has basically turned into a custom server with its inflation and doesnt even feel like classic eq anymore so it will be a easy switch to green

Reecon
10-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Same here, my rogue is only level 52 and i havent even raided on blue yet so i have no plans of playing on green but i can see why alot of people will because of already hitting level 60 with multiple characters and raiding most the big mobs, i dont think you have to worry to much about blue population going really far down (yes it will go down of course), most the casuals and people who have just started but havent gotten a 60 yet on blue will probably stick around once that new server smell wears off.

Baler
10-11-2019, 02:19 PM
the worst thing that can happen to a MMO is a power creeped top heavy server like blue, blue has basically turned into a custom server with its inflation and doesnt even feel like classic eq anymore so it will be a easy switch to green

THIS ^
and
Starting fresh on an even playing field with all other players is also a huge factor in why I'll be playing green.
It's like a ladder reset on D2. :)

Danth
10-11-2019, 02:32 PM
I'm enjoying reading the large amount of commentary of "I did the power game push now I'm ready to be laid-back!" That's how I felt when I *started* on Blue. Welcome to the club, folks.

Danth

Jibartik
10-11-2019, 02:40 PM
"Hail, a lion."

"Hello Mr lion, how are you today?"

dekova
10-11-2019, 03:00 PM
When green launches, I doubt that I will ever log into blue again. When Greek recycles, I'll either log into the new green server or be done all together.

Talinthis
10-11-2019, 04:17 PM
i just think it sucks that the playerbase is going to be split. will be good for some things obviously but not for others.

Luneward
10-11-2019, 11:51 PM
Also thanks to everyone who doesn't have kids. RL server has a population issue as well. Not making more of us is a really humane way to mitigate the problem.

Yeah, quite the overcrowding issue there. Only issue I have with the RL server is that the death penalty is really harsh.