PDA

View Full Version : Green Naming Policy (Petition)

Maker_Mayhem
09-13-2019, 05:21 PM
Greetings Devs and Friends;

I am super grateful for the time you have all spent in developing P99 and in no way am I trying to sound entitled, or as if your efforts aren't sufficient, etc. I am full aware you guys are aiming for a classic experience and not to crowd please.

The official announcement for Green has me ecstatic! I have been literally planning for this server since a former GM told me about it in 2014, and have been planning characters, playing ALS style (since before ALS was a thing lol) just day dreaming about a new server.

With that said, I feel there should be reconsideration for the Green Naming Policy -- perhaps for Green to be its own dumping ground for future Green servers? Or to simply add an x upon merging to blue?

With over 1,000,000 characters created on Blue, it just seems so many names are already taken. And I do not mean names like "Detoxx" and "Hokushin", etc. But literally multiple accounts of "name banks" by players long gone. I just hope you might would consider, that the summit of your project 1999, the completion of it for a whole new adventure with Green, could be started out on a fresh ground and that our names would not be limited to what is left over from a 10 year old beta, with over 1,000,000 characters.

Cen
09-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Change the non manipulative answer to "but I wanted to pretend to be Kraddok!"

Chortles Snort|eS
09-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Maybe they’ll run inactive level (X) accounts script and wipe unused names?

Vidar
09-13-2019, 05:45 PM

Hope so

loramin
09-13-2019, 05:46 PM

This. I feel like if you don't play your character for a really long time (I'd vote a year, but I'd imagine staff would be kinder and do two or three) your name automatically becomes pleasePetitionForARename1234.

Jibartik
09-13-2019, 05:48 PM
So bummed I wont see people with the names

Keep Out
Stay Out
Manastone Camper
Dark Elf

...and on and on and on thanks to this decision.

/sarcasm

Twochain
09-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Voted yes so I can FTE Detoxx’s name and train people

(No)

Nirgon
09-13-2019, 06:30 PM

wOULD lOSE mUH pRECIOUS Banks

monkeydoc
09-13-2019, 06:55 PM
I support the current policy as long as they wipe inactive/low level characters

Evia
09-13-2019, 07:01 PM
I think they should save names for any lvl 60 on blue. Those lvl 60 names can be re-created on green from the same account.

Wipe the rest.

This simultaneously eliminates banked names on ghost accounts AS WELL AS allow well known and established blue p99 players the ability to keep their identity, and names, of their main characters.

Just my 2cp

Maker_Mayhem
09-13-2019, 07:03 PM
That's a pretty good compromise Evia.

slowpoke68
09-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Totally happy about the launch and great job staff!! However, I agree that the naming policy as I understand it is going to be problematic. It is really hard to come up with a good name on Blue as it is. I love seeing lore appropriate names but it is so hard to come up with one that isn't taken.

I can see wanting to let long time players keep their blue name but I am hoping you can limit it in someway to free up a whole bunch of names. Maybe something like limiting it to level 60 or level 50 plus characters with some recent play time or something along those lines.

Thanks again for all your hard work and will definitely be seeing you next month!

baakss
09-13-2019, 07:18 PM
No thanks, I don't wanna have to race to FTE my famous names.

slowpoke68
09-13-2019, 08:31 PM
What does FTE mean?

Evia
09-13-2019, 08:43 PM
What does FTE mean?

First to engage

Canelek
09-13-2019, 10:56 PM
Wiping inactive level 1 characters is indeed classic. I cannot cite date(s), however.

Maker_Mayhem
09-14-2019, 01:10 PM
That would be neat if you could find a reference point Canelek?

Chortles Snort|eS
09-14-2019, 02:11 PM
SEPTEMBER 28, 2000

Level 1 Character Purge:

The Level 1 character purge has been completed. All level 1 characters that have not been played within the past 30 days have been deleted.

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000928.html

AUGUST 9, 2000

Character Purge:

Time has come to do some cleanup on character data across the servers. On August 23rd (Pacific), we will be doing a system-wide cleanup of level 1 characters. All level 1 characters that have that have not been played within 30 days from the date of the purge will be deleted. As GMs will not be able to restore any characters that are deleted, please be certain to log in any level 1 characters that you wish to keep prior to the purge.

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000809.html

Llandris
09-14-2019, 02:14 PM
Wiping inactive level 1 characters is indeed classic. I cannot cite date(s), however.

A "purge" would fall into the realm of classicness since it happened sometime early live era. I gave my opinion on the matter and I would like to see it happen prior to Green release. Something along the lines of all inactive level 1's (5+ years) are purged or have a letter or letters added to the end of their names so it frees the name up.

Danth
09-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Letters added to the end of their names might be better. Some of those inactive level 1's are probably storage alts and at least a few of 'em are likely to be back due to green re-invigorating some interest.

Danth

loramin
09-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Letters added to the end of their names might be better. Some of those inactive level 1's are probably storage alts and at least a few of 'em are likely to be back due to green re-invigorating some interest.

Danth

Agreed, but the devs can be smart too.

If the toon has no loot (or whatever the devs consider to be the equivalent of "no loot" ... maybe <5p in total droppable goods and no "no drop" items except from newbie zones?) they could delete it, but if it has stuff on it they could rename the toon instead.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-14-2019, 02:25 PM
elveS got 40 DayS b4 leveL 1 deleTES!

Maker_Mayhem
09-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Thanks Llandris for your input! More GM or Dev input would be greatly appreciated :)

Arvan
09-15-2019, 10:03 AM
The big thing is that on p99 anyone can make 100s of accounts full of names for free on live you had to pay for each account full of names. Name purge is sorely needed!

BlackBellamy
09-15-2019, 11:04 AM
I think they should save names for any lvl 60 on blue. Those lvl 60 names can be re-created on green from the same account.

Nah, better idea is to require two level 60s. That way my proposal will screw you, just like your proposal screws over people with level 59s.

loramin
09-15-2019, 11:20 AM
The big thing is that on p99 anyone can make 100s of accounts full of names for free on live you had to pay for each account full of names. Name purge is sorely needed!

+1 this: it completely invalidates all "it's unclassic to purge" arguments (ignoring of course the arguments that purges are classic).

It's the same thing as 2-boxing: P99 can't be like live because we can't charge, so we have to have an unclassic policy (no 2-boxing, no millions of characters rotting on accounts) to make things feel classic here.

Maker_Mayhem
09-15-2019, 11:25 AM
Great points Arvan & Loramin.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-15-2019, 12:55 PM
Not logging in for (x) aMount of TiMe seem REAL reaSonaBLe puRGE parAmaTer

slowpoke68
09-16-2019, 05:55 AM
Also if we are talking about whether it is classic to purge names or not I would add that the only thing less classic than a modified name purge would be allowing people to reserve a name at all on a new server.

For instance since I played on X server and I had a name I should be able to get that same name on Brell Serilis when it opens. (Brell launched a couple of months after the initial launch.) I rolled on Brell the day after it opened and there were no reserved names at all for people wanting to reroll from one of the initial launch servers that I am aware of.

But as I have said before I will take Green however the devs want to do it and be happy. I do urge them to reconsider this policy though as I believe it will severely limit people's ability to secure a lore appropriate name.

Thanks for listening.

Videri
09-16-2019, 06:05 AM
People might have muled an important item on a level 1 character.

Adding an "x" to the end of the name to free it up seems more likely than deleting people's characters.

Raev
09-16-2019, 07:26 AM
A "purge" would fall into the realm of classicness since it happened sometime early live era. I gave my opinion on the matter and I would like to see it happen prior to Green release. Something along the lines of all inactive level 1's (5+ years) are purged or have a letter or letters added to the end of their names so it frees the name up.

Forget green, this would be a big win for Blue. The funny thing would be the character name gold rush that would immediately follow. Would it not be relatively straightforward to compute the platinum value of an account by cross referencing with the wiki?

Or to simply add an x upon merging to blue?

I think Detoxx already created Detoxxx and such. You might end up with Detoxxxxxxxxxx.

loramin
09-16-2019, 11:13 AM
I think Detoxx already created Detoxxx and such. You might end up with Detoxxxxxxxxxx.

:) I know you're not being serious, but I think the idea is that if a player ignores character X for however long and it gets renamed, but then for some odd reason they actually wanted to play it and not use it as a bank character, presumably they could petition to get it changed to a non-"xxxxx" name.

a_gnome_collector
09-16-2019, 11:44 AM
sorry, but i have to vote against this one for 2 reasons.

Say there is a high profile player on blue and someone takes his name on green just to be a troll and/or create drama for that player. Sorry... freeing up surnames would only add fuel to a troll fire in this respect.

This community happens to be very small. Very, very, small. So its not like wow with hundreds of thousands of players. The potential for creating confusion by unlocking all the names would basically allow one person, who already is an active player, to take a handle from another already active player. Again, just makes no sense.

RIP this thread.
Devs lead the way.

dwarf_cleric420
09-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Everyone would still have their character names locked. The only names that would be freed up in the purge are the thousands of lvl 1 characters that haven't even moved from the original spawn point and were created merely to reserve the name.

Any active character on blue should be able to reserve their name on green, this makes complete sense to avoid troll identy theft... However, forcing everyone to use what's leftover after 10 years is pretty lame, considering how many lvl 1 characters are out there just rotting away with good names.

Purge the lvl ones that have no Plat or items, it just makes sense

a_gnome_collector
09-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Everyone would still have their character names locked. The only names that would be freed up in the purge are the thousands of lvl 1 characters that haven't even moved from the original spawn point and were created merely to reserve the name.

Any active character on blue should be able to reserve their name on green, this makes complete sense to avoid troll identy theft... However, forcing everyone to use what's leftover after 10 years is pretty lame, considering how many lvl 1 characters are out there just rotting away with good names.

Purge the lvl ones that have no Plat or items, it just makes sense

I hear you. Its not a terrible idea. But its not a realistic idea either. Heres why: how are the devs going to identify which names are locked to an inactive account? There is no way to tell. Example, what if theres an active player with dormant accounts he does not use? How would the devs be able to determine this? Not without a lot of extra research. And unfortunately, they probably don't have that kind of time.

What they needed to do was come up with a one-size fits all naming policy, for legacy accounts and future accounts. And I think they did the best they could.

dwarf_cleric420
09-16-2019, 03:42 PM
I'm sure the devs can run a script to look at total playing time, then delete and characters with less than five minutes played, this wipes all characters made for "names sake" and spares any mules etc, no one can complain about losing five minutes.

Maker_Mayhem
09-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Right and the devs should be able to cross reference IPs if there are multiple EQemu accounts. Technically speaking, all of our sub login server accounts are supposed to be handled under the same EQemu account. I’m sure they can run a query though of characters and cross reference play time, creation date, IP, last log in date and inventory in the event that it is a mule.

Coridan
09-16-2019, 06:33 PM
It doesn't even need to delete the characters, when EQLive does it it just adds an X to the ends of those names and should that player want to play that character they can petition for a quick rename.

Jimjam
09-16-2019, 09:54 PM
People might have muled an important item on a level 1 character.That would be a pretty stupid thing to do considering this is a classic server and inactive level 1 purges are classic ;).

RaMaR
09-17-2019, 04:21 AM

Wipe the rest.

This simultaneously eliminates banked names on ghost accounts AS WELL AS allow well known and established blue p99 players the ability to keep their identity, and names, of their main characters.

Just my 2cp

^

Izmael
09-17-2019, 05:47 AM
I'm sure the dev team would be happy to see a healthy flow of 20+ daily petitions reading 'where is my character???'...
...for the next few months / years.

slowpoke68
09-17-2019, 08:22 AM
sorry, but i have to vote against this one for 2 reasons.

Say there is a high profile player on blue and someone takes his name on green just to be a troll and/or create drama for that player. Sorry... freeing up surnames would only add fuel to a troll fire in this respect.

This community happens to be very small. Very, very, small. So its not like wow with hundreds of thousands of players. The potential for creating confusion by unlocking all the names would basically allow one person, who already is an active player, to take a handle from another already active player. Again, just makes no sense.

RIP this thread.
Devs lead the way.

Looking through this thread, how many "high profile", "well known" or "famous" players are there? Really? Give me a number. 250? 500? 1,000?

I'm sure a way can be found to accommodate these larger than life celebrities, while still freeing up literally tens of thousands of names for people to use on the new server.

Again, can anyone tell me what is even remotely classic about reserved names on a new server?

Chortles Snort|eS
09-17-2019, 08:24 AM
elF VIPs appReciate not loSiNg theyRe elF identiTYs
Me Ok wit iT

Primordial Ooze
09-17-2019, 11:48 AM
As I recall, there was a warning the first time they did a name purge on live. If you wanted to keep your toon's name, you had time to run his ass out to the newbie yard and whack a few rats to lvl him to 2. That's not asking much. And if you miss the warnings, if you're oblivious to the fact that there's a purge coming, maybe you don't really play enough to need that mule.

Muggens
09-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Reserved names is dumb and not classic.

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 01:35 PM
Reserved names is dumb and not classic.

Welcome to project 1999. The staff need your salty tears to keep the gears well lubricated. Please feel free to fill their inbox.

Muggens
09-17-2019, 02:07 PM
Welcome to project 1999. The staff need your salty tears to keep the gears well lubricated. Please feel free to fill their inbox.

Dont care about my characters names, theyre all spur of the moment in creation.

Lots of Pre-salty tears though from players afraid of losing "their names", I say begone with the names and let the server start fresh

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Dont care about my characters names, theyre all spur of the moment in creation.

Lots of Pre-salty tears though from players afraid of losing "their names", I say begone with the names and let the server start fresh

First name i'm making is Muggens

Muggens
09-17-2019, 02:42 PM
First name i'm making is Muggens

hehe be my guest ;)

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 02:46 PM
hehe be my guest ;)

Good then I can tell everyone my forum name is Muggens.
Have fun buckaroo

Muggens
09-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Good then I can tell everyone my forum name is Muggens.
Have fun buckaroo

Sure if it makes your gaming experience better go ahead :rolleyes:

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Sure if it makes your gaming experience better go ahead :rolleyes:

oh it will. Then everyone on green will know how Muggens loves ogre women and the dirty things he/she/they do with them!

Muggens
09-17-2019, 03:00 PM
oh it will. Then everyone on green will know how Muggens loves ogre women and the dirty things he/she/they do with them!

that is kinda true anyway so iz all good :D

Evia
09-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Nah, better idea is to require two level 60s. That way my proposal will screw you, just like your proposal screws over people with level 59s.

The goal is not to screw anyone over. It's to free up names not being used and also allow people to keep their main characters. I said lvl 60 in my suggestion because it seemed to me that anyone leveling up to 60 is likely a main or well established character on the server. Even making it 50+ it'd still make a dent in the humongous list of banked ghost names. You said two lvl 60s just to try and be a dick.

Muggens
09-17-2019, 03:10 PM
The goal is not to screw anyone over. It's to free up names not being used and also allow people to keep their main characters. I said lvl 60 in my suggestion because it seemed to me that anyone leveling up to 60 is likely a main or well established character on the server. Even making it 50+ it'd still make a dent in the humongous list of banked ghost names. You said two lvl 60s just to try and be a dick.

This would screw over anyone without a lvl 60. Lots of folks been here for ages without dinging max level like yourself for many years(as I can remember from your sig, you just recently dinged 60). Even though your char is not 60 it can still be your beloved main.

Evia
09-17-2019, 04:15 PM
This would screw over anyone without a lvl 60. Lots of folks been here for ages without dinging max level like yourself for many years(as I can remember from your sig, you just recently dinged 60). Even though your char is not 60 it can still be your beloved main.

Fair point, I agree. Someone could have characters they care about, or main, that are below lvl 60. This discussion/petition is primarily focused on a brand new servers naming policy. I stress the words brand new.So in order to gain the privilege to have a name reserved on this brand new server, I feel like having characters hit either 50 or 60 isn't really asking that much for a server thats been out 10+ years. Sure, I'll lose out on all of my alt names by the power of my own suggested policy but I think that's fair. It really would be an awful thing to force this incredible brand new server to carry over every single blue name with it.

You don't even need to delete the characters on blue! Just don't let the name transfer over to green. Then that gives you a couple years to do a banked and unplayed character purge plan on blue before all the new green names try to slam back into blue.

Muggens
09-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Still some people would feel left out. It's better these days to go all in and treat everyone on equal footing.
Names and such arent personal anyway, it's just letters scrambled together and tons of people have used the same scribbling in the past present and future

Nilstoniakrath
09-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Deleting characters is a HORRIBLE idea. Just pick a different name, or spell it a little differently, if the one you want isn't available.

And you can use names you already have on Blue, on Green. If you didn't get the name on Blue, well, that was your chance, and you somehow managed to survive the psychological torment of having an inferior name until now.

Evia
09-17-2019, 08:35 PM
If you didn't get the name on Blue, well, that was your chance, and you somehow managed to survive the psychological torment of having an inferior name until now.

???

You don’t see how crazy that reads? This is a totally new server and yet ppl are expected to reserve their character name 10 years earlier on a different server?

I’m actually surprised this isn’t a larger issue to most of you. Anyone who’s tried to make a character in the last 2 years knows how big of a pain in the ass it is to find something decent that sticks. Rolling into a brand new server with a million+ reserved names just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Nilstoniakrath
09-17-2019, 09:34 PM
???

You don’t see how crazy that reads? This is a totally new server and yet ppl are expected to reserve their character name 10 years earlier on a different server?

I’m actually surprised this isn’t a larger issue to most of you. Anyone who’s tried to make a character in the last 2 years knows how big of a pain in the ass it is to find something decent that sticks. Rolling into a brand new server with a million+ reserved names just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they let the names on Green be a fresh start, and independent of Blue 100%. BUT, they are going to merge Green into Blue eventually, so that is not possible.

That being the reality, my point is, DELETING characters on Blue just so someone can have that name on Green, is completely unacceptable. Character wipes are a drastic and serious step, some people have low level toons with a lot of plat and gear who are mules, and maybe they haven't been active for a while because Blue has become a bit toxic, but they will be back in a heartbeat once Green in launched. A character's name is, at the end of the day, irrelevant. Hence my comment that those who are pushing for a wipe just so they have a shot at some precious name are being reckless and selfish.

Maker_Mayhem
09-17-2019, 09:40 PM
???

+1 Evia

Daud
09-17-2019, 10:15 PM
I'm super curious to hear some of these names people have been robbed out of (you know, since a lot of people seem to be referring to them as "their" names, I can only assume "robbed" is the correct term). I bet that I could slightly tweak most any semi-reasonable name through the name filter with some minimal and sensible changes, if it didn't go through outright, unless it was some stupid pop culture, video game character, lotr, bard/singer, gnome, or any other super shitty reference/pun that a thousand other nerds would immediately think of since that's my hunch a lot of these names people think they're gonna get freed up. And TBH I'd rather those names just stay dead and gone on unused characters.

Nilstoniakrath
09-17-2019, 10:25 PM
I'm super curious to hear some of these names people have been robbed out of (you know, since a lot of people seem to be referring to them as "their" names, I can only assume "robbed" is the correct term). I bet that I could slightly tweak most any semi-reasonable name through the name filter with some minimal and sensible changes, if it didn't go through outright, unless it was some stupid pop culture, video game character, lotr, bard/singer, gnome, or any other super shitty reference/pun that a thousand other nerds would immediately think of since that's my hunch a lot of these names people think they're gonna get freed up. And TBH I'd rather those names just stay dead and gone on unused characters.

Trust me, most names are borderline annoying and stupid, all the more reason NOT to do a character wipe just to free them up for a new server. If you want to bitch, argue for a clean slate and not a wipe. But the same retards who think those names are cool, will fail to be reasonable on how to get those stupid and lame names.

dwarf_cleric420
09-18-2019, 10:14 AM
Actually, I wouldn't mind if they let the names on Green be a fresh start, and independent of Blue 100%. BUT, they are going to merge Green into Blue eventually, so that is not possible.

That being the reality, my point is, DELETING characters on Blue just so someone can have that name on Green, is completely unacceptable. Character wipes are a drastic and serious step, some people have low level toons with a lot of plat and gear who are mules, and maybe they haven't been active for a while because Blue has become a bit toxic, but they will be back in a heartbeat once Green in launched. A character's name is, at the end of the day, irrelevant. Hence my comment that those who are pushing for a wipe just so they have a shot at some precious name are being reckless and selfish.

No one is pushing for a wipe of geared alts or bank mules.... Just the lvl 1s that haven't done shit except create a name and log out. There's thousands of these sitting on inactive accounts.

Nilstoniakrath
09-18-2019, 10:53 AM
No one is pushing for a wipe of geared alts or bank mules.... Just the lvl 1s that haven't done shit except create a name and log out. There's thousands of these sitting on inactive accounts.

Wipe the rest.

Just my 2cp

Actually, even if your 60, I would say if you don't have your epic yet, and BiS gear in all slots, those should be wiped too.

Evia
09-18-2019, 05:44 PM
Actually, even if your 60, I would say if you don't have your epic yet, and BiS gear in all slots, those should be wiped too.

maybe wiping the chars is extreme, sure, but so is expecting to roll out a new server with 1 million+ names already taken.
You guys have kinda changed my mind on ONE part though...maybe deleting characters IS a bit extreme without more information taken into account.

So my NEW suggestion is exactly like my old one except rather then WIPE THE REST we simply don't let those names move onto the green server name base.
THEN the servers will carry on with names freed up on green, and everyone keeping their names on blue.

When the server merge happens we will end up with a huge issue of hundreds if not thousands of duplicate names. In order to combat this I would suggest the devs do a lvl 1 name purge on blue for characters that haven't been played in x amount of time. They can do this at any point during the 2~ years that green is active and separate from blue. Hell! they could come up with a better plan! but they'd have an ample amount of time to do so. Then when the merge happens you'll have far less conflicts with ppl having the same names, and the people that do end up having a naming conflict will be forced to carry a X or Z at the end of their name for the life of the character. This could also be a cool status symbol thing with the history of the resets! maybe all green chars get a X at the end...so when you see a char with an x at the end of it, you know they came from green. then when the next server launches after green (purple?) those chars get a Z added to the end of their name. So as blue gets older and older we get these little museum characters all repping their original server with their subtle last letter of their name.

I get it that this is a lot of work for something as insignificant as clearing a naming database, but I feel like there has to be a better option here.

Obviously no solution will make everyone happy but I'm just really hoping the devs re-think this one.

bigjeff100
09-18-2019, 05:59 PM
I chose Athemis back in 1999 randomly for a gnome mage.. That name stuck with me through all video games, and nobody ever has it :) for my alt? I just reversed it and swapped 2 letters :) Simetha!!!

Get creative!!! When in doubt, just spell your favorite name backwards haha!

loramin
09-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Obviously no solution will make everyone happy but I'm just really hoping the devs rethink this one.

Honestly I have not heard a single person object to renaming level 1 toons who haven't been played in awhile and who have <5 pp and no No Drop items except from newbie zones. Heck, I haven't even heard anyone be against deleting such toons, or just renaming any level 1s that haven't been played in awhile.

I really think there's a true community consensus that we should at least go that far.

soronil
09-18-2019, 06:04 PM
on twitch a few days back Rogean confirmed the plan is to purge the level 1s... I'm sure they will announce more details eventually before launch

Daud
09-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Honestly I have not heard a single person object to renaming level 1 toons who haven't been played in awhile and who have <5 pp and no No Drop items except from newbie zones. Heck, I haven't even heard anyone be against deleting such toons, or just renaming any level 1s that haven't been played in awhile.

I really think there's a true community consensus that we should at least go that far.

I guess "compete consensus" is one way to describe a poll that is literally a dead 50/50 split.

loramin
09-18-2019, 06:29 PM
I guess "compete consensus" is one way to describe a poll that is literally a dead 50/50 split.

Was this the poll question?

Honestly I have not heard a single person object to renaming level 1 toons who haven't been played in awhile and who have <5 pp and no No Drop items except from newbie zones.

No? Then I guess I'm not arguing with the poll results.

But if you wanted to disagree with what I actually wrote, how about you just quote a single person making the argument (not checking a box in a poll, but actually saying) that renaming level 1s no one uses would be a bad thing? Then I can read it, then I'll no longer be able to say:

Honestly I have not heard a single person object ...

Daud
09-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Was this the poll question?

Yes, it was. The poll asked asked if things should stay as is or if we should revisit the naming policy for a rename/delete. OP was quite clear what he explained in his OP, and it seems half of the people want things to stay the same.

(not checking a box in a poll, but actually saying

Oh, yeah, of course, it doesn't count.

Edit: Whoops, you said rename not delete, my bad.

Nilstoniakrath
09-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Uh, mmmm, there have been plenty of posts against the idea of any kind of wipe. Deleting characters is a serious step, and to do so just to free up names, when a character name is really irrelevant to the gaming experience, I am totally against.

BUT, I would be ok with a narrowly defined wipe. Only characters meeting the following criteria:

1) Level 1, AND
2) inactive for over a year, AND
3) only in possession of the items a character gets upon creation, i.e. the no drop food and drink, the guild note, and the noobie weapon

Also, there would need to be system messages in game, for at least a week or more before the purge, giving notice to players so that they can take appropriate measures if they want to avoid having their alts deleted

loramin
09-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Uh, mmmm, there have been plenty of posts against the idea of any kind of wipe.

Please don't misunderstand: I'm NOT saying "everyone loves wipes". Not at all. I fully agree that the server is conflicted on that.

What I'm saying is, when you get specific and talk about just renaming (or even deleting) toons that no one has played in over a year, and which don't have any meaningful loot, I've yet to hear anyone actually say "that sounds like a bad idea to me".

When you ask people for a knee-jerk reaction to a poll, do some people think "hell no, I like my character name?" Sure. But again, when you actually talk to them, no one is defending keeping the names on unplayed value-less toons.

Daud
09-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Please don't misunderstand: I'm NOT saying "everyone loves wipes". Not at all. I fully agree that the server is conflicted on that.

What I'm saying is, when you get specific and talk about just renaming (or even deleting) toons that no one has played in over a year, and which don't have any meaningful loot, I've yet to hear anyone actually say "that sounds like a bad idea to me".

I said it in a round about way, but yeah, I feel like renames/deletes are a bad idea. I've got no problem getting 5-8 letter names that aren't Aiqwej'apsdfji out of the random name generator.

For example, Gazran. Popped right out of the random name generator. That's a fine, strong name for a young ogre or troll. I deleted it, so it's still available if anyone wants it now. Go get 'em, Gaz!

But back to why I think renames/deletes are a bad idea, I'm really curious about what names we're talking about here. I know, no one wants to actually post it because it's all OC DONUT STEAL stuff so I get the secrecy. But I find it highly unlikely people are just sitting on naked level 1 random, generic fantasy sounding names account after account. Shit like Aaragon should never see the light of day again if someone forgot that garbage years ago and that's the kind of stuff I think people sit on, at least if you look at the couple "WTS name" threads that pop up once in a while. And that's what I think people are in demand for. So that's why I just don't have a lot of sympathy for a rename/delete, I can't believe most people can't at least get something similar to what they want as long as it's some semi-original fantasy-ish sounding name unless it's some stupid reference or pun.

loramin
09-18-2019, 09:05 PM
I said it in a round about way, but yeah, I feel like renames/deletes are a bad idea. I've got no problem getting 5-8 letter names that aren't Aiqwej'apsdfji out of the random name generator.

For example, Gazran. Popped right out of the random name generator. That's a fine, strong name for a young ogre or troll. I deleted it, so it's still available if anyone wants it now. Go get 'em, Gaz!

But back to why I think renames/deletes are a bad idea, I'm really curious about what names we're talking about here. I know, no one wants to actually post it because it's all OC DONUT STEAL stuff so I get the secrecy. But I find it highly unlikely people are just sitting on naked level 1 random, generic fantasy sounding names account after account. Shit like Aaragon should never see the light of day again if someone forgot that garbage years ago and that's the kind of stuff I think people sit on, at least if you look at the couple "WTS name" threads that pop up once in a while. And that's what I think people are in demand for. So that's why I just don't have a lot of sympathy for a rename/delete, I can't believe most people can't at least get something similar to what they want as long as it's some semi-original fantasy-ish sounding name unless it's some stupid reference or pun.

I think the problem with that argument is, if you follow the premise of it then logically you pretty much have to be against any non-random name.

Look, I'm not a fan of the fiftieth dark elf named Drizzt. It was dumb on live, and it's dumb here. It also is jarring to anyone who sees it: it knocks you out of your stupid 20-year old elf sim fantasy world. But ...there's a vast spectrum of names, and Drizzt is only one end.

I've got an Enchanter named Kalasiris who is on the other end. It is not an original name ... but it's from an ancient Greek novel that no one except Literature majors would ever read, so it might as well be: (virtually) no one will ever see it and petition me, and if they did the GMs might not even believe it's from a book.

By your logic, if someone, me or anyone else, made a Kalasiris seven years ago, and never played him (or played him for only a few minutes), no one should ever be able to make a character on Green with the awesome name Kalasiris? I'm not trying to trick or argue with you here, but I'm asking is this really what you believe?

It seems to me that the good kind of name, the ones no one has heard of and sound fantasy, are still a finite good. There's less of that good to go around for everyone if 7-year old toons no one plays deplete the stockpile. IF you agree with that on any level, and you're still against renames, then you have to believe there's a corresponding value to letting those names stay unused, which makes me wonder ... what's that value?

Daud
09-18-2019, 10:14 PM
I think the problem with that argument is, if you follow the premise of it then logically you pretty much have to be against any non-random name.

Look, I'm not a fan of the fiftieth dark elf named Drizzt. It was dumb on live, and it's dumb here. It also is jarring to anyone who sees it: it knocks you out of your stupid 20-year old elf sim fantasy world. But ...there's a vast spectrum of names, and Drizzt is only one end.

But your second paragraph directly addresses your problem with the premise in the first. It's a spectrum of names, on one end with Aaragorn/Drizzt/etc, and the other, completely random names. Everyone, including staff, has a line somewhere on that spectrum where they feel is "too far" and that's just a preference where people fall, there is no intrinsic right or wrong to it where you have to be for or against something. "I can't define it but I know it when I see it", that's just the way human things work a lot of the time; including how staff even enforces the rules here, I've seen that one come up a lot when dealing with some of the heavy LawyerQuest types. So that's my position on what is and isn't ok for a name.

I've got an Enchanter named Kalasiris who is on the other end. It is not an original name ... but it's from an ancient Greek novel that no one except Literature majors would ever read, so it might as well be: (virtually) no one will ever see it and petition me, and if they did the GMs might not even believe it's from a book.

By your logic, if someone, me or anyone else, made a Kalasiris seven years ago, and never played him (or played him for only a few minutes), no one should ever be able to make a character on Green with the awesome name Kalasiris? I'm not trying to trick or argue with you here, but I'm asking is this really what you believe?

Yes, because I just don't care about that kind of stuff. I just find another name and move on. Or I'd make Kalasirys or Kalasirus or something (and just for fun, I tried both of these and they worked, so I'd be happy with that). Someone else got Kalasiris, thems the breaks, either I mod it or move on. Daud certainly wasn't the first name I put into the filter for my rogue, and I've got several more characters like this and it just doesn't bother me or make me want to delete someone else's character to get something I want, even if it is just collecting dust as a naked level 1 on a forgotten account. I don't feel like it gives me that right to do that.

I think the problem is people are getting real specific with what they want. When you want that name, and only that name, and that spelling of it, yeah, it's disappointing, especially if it's a level 1 character no one's ever seen. But I don't believe there's a shortage of names to the point where we should just delete or rename characters just because you happen feel disappointed that you didn't get specifically what you wanted.

It seems to me that the good kind of name, the ones no one has heard of and sound fantasy, are still a finite good. There's less of that good to go around for everyone if 7-year old toons no one plays deplete the stockpile. IF you agree with that on any level, and you're still against renames, then you have to believe there's a corresponding value to letting those names stay unused, which makes me wonder ... what's that value?

Finite doesn't mean scarce, though. Unless you can throw out what percentage of the 15 quintillion possible names on this server meet your personal subjective definition of "good" and how many of those are taken, and I know there's a lot thrown out for ones like repeating letters and whatnot that doesn't make sense or violate CoC and every other obvious stupid combination, all we have really is how we "feel" how hard it is to get a name out of the name generator, and personally, I don't find it that hard. Obviously there's a lot of players who feel hindered that they can't get a "good" name past the filter, but, again, it goes back to my suspicions of what I think they personally consider "good", not feeling like there's a shortage, and not feeling it's right to delete other people's characters regardless of how much and when they've played.

callemosen
09-21-2019, 05:37 PM
People view names of characters in games very different, some like to use new names all the time, some people want the same name they've used in all other games.
If there's an easy way to accommodate all people, I'm sure that's what most server admins will go for.

That said; for blue server I don't think it would harm to delete any character with a total /played under 10 minutes. That should take care of any names sitting "reserved" and unused, without hitting bank mules and lvl 2+

Green is a new server, with new characters ... so it's only natural that all names should be up for grabs. If you have the same name on green as on blue, you wouldn't be able to merge "yourfavoritename" from green to blue without a name change anyway.

Just for fun, I made a new char (on blue), pressed "random name" 3 times, removed 3 letter and ended up with "Nirmin" which feels like a decent name. Even with 1 mill+ names registered I'm sure there are some good names left.
I'm more bugged by names like "Palediiin" than "Xorgizul", you would not wan't me in charge of the "character name black list" >:-)

I've played on P99 since 2009'ish, I have 10+ chars over lvl 20 and my highest is lvl 52. Not everyone plays the game the same way, don't just assume your way is the "right way" to play EQ and not having a lvl 60 means you're not "serious"!

AbstractVision
09-21-2019, 06:33 PM
I would love to see the naming policy actually be enforced, only fantasy names.
No Truhmp Suhpporter or Beeg Cawk or Russel Crow.

I voted no because the less horrible names available the better.

Nagoya
09-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Guys, go make an account right now. It takes literally 5 seconds.
Then create 8 toons.
Go for it! I'll wait.

I just got Republic, Maid, Motherless and other stupid 'wordnames' that were available (just randomly tried a few words and bingo).
Also got another 5 very easy to pronouce names under 6 characters. (ditto with names)

This is just fake news cause you got like one stupid name you make a fixation on and you believe you could get it in a new fresh FTE race for names. people wanna go grab Jesus or Love or Death or i don't know?

I've been wanting to name a toon Nausicaa forever and i'm kinda mad at the lad who took the name and never played the character.

but honestly, whatthefuckever. there are still about ten gazillions names available, including ten billions of very fine ones.

Stop whining and think about your name.

If anything, I think it will filter through all the crap and joke names that are already taken on Blue and it's great.

The name issue is a classic case of something that is only a problem in the head of people who didn't even try.

Don't listen to the whiners Devs. focus your CSR time on much more important/relevent issues please ^^ the system you devised is fine and will make sure nobody has their reputation stolen, for those for whom it matters. for everyone else we will find kickass names next month np.

Gustoo
09-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Agreed

Vexenu
09-21-2019, 07:51 PM
I voted fresh start, but I think a reasonable compromise would be to only carry over names for characters over level 55. I think that's a good cutoff. If you haven't leveled the character past 55 in ten years of Blue then you can't reasonably claim you should own that character's name on Green.

pink grapefruit
09-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Red server didn't get reserved names from blue, so why should green?

loramin
09-21-2019, 08:56 PM
But your second paragraph directly addresses your problem with the premise in the first. It's a spectrum of names, on one end with Aaragorn/Drizzt/etc, and the other, completely random names. Everyone, including staff, has a line somewhere on that spectrum where they feel is "too far" and that's just a preference where people fall, there is no intrinsic right or wrong to it where you have to be for or against something. "I can't define it but I know it when I see it", that's just the way human things work a lot of the time; including how staff even enforces the rules here, I've seen that one come up a lot when dealing with some of the heavy LawyerQuest types. So that's my position on what is and isn't ok for a name.

Yes, because I just don't care about that kind of stuff. I just find another name and move on. Or I'd make Kalasirys or Kalasirus or something (and just for fun, I tried both of these and they worked, so I'd be happy with that). Someone else got Kalasiris, thems the breaks, either I mod it or move on. Daud certainly wasn't the first name I put into the filter for my rogue, and I've got several more characters like this and it just doesn't bother me or make me want to delete someone else's character to get something I want, even if it is just collecting dust as a naked level 1 on a forgotten account. I don't feel like it gives me that right to do that.

I think the problem is people are getting real specific with what they want. When you want that name, and only that name, and that spelling of it, yeah, it's disappointing, especially if it's a level 1 character no one's ever seen. But I don't believe there's a shortage of names to the point where we should just delete or rename characters just because you happen feel disappointed that you didn't get specifically what you wanted.

Finite doesn't mean scarce, though. Unless you can throw out what percentage of the 15 quintillion possible names on this server meet your personal subjective definition of "good" and how many of those are taken, and I know there's a lot thrown out for ones like repeating letters and whatnot that doesn't make sense or violate CoC and every other obvious stupid combination, all we have really is how we "feel" how hard it is to get a name out of the name generator, and personally, I don't find it that hard. Obviously there's a lot of players who feel hindered that they can't get a "good" name past the filter, but, again, it goes back to my suspicions of what I think they personally consider "good", not feeling like there's a shortage, and not feeling it's right to delete other people's characters regardless of how much and when they've played.

All that and you still couldn't define the value to NOT get ridding of the characters no one is using:

IF you agree with that on any level, and you're still against renames, then you have to believe there's a corresponding value to letting those names stay unused, which makes me wonder ... what's that value?

We can quibble about exactly how little value giving people name choices has, but if you equate any value whatsoever to it ... what's the corresponding value to letting characters and names rot forever un-used? There must be some value there to make you actively against a wipe.

Nagoya
09-22-2019, 12:30 AM
the fact that it is not forever loramin. these characters were created and they exist, ready to pop out of obscurity at any time. the value is in reinforcing the idea that p99 is a stable server and a stable environment where your characters are "safe". I know character purges are classic, but they were not universally liked, and they were far from systematic either.

You're asking to remove old gravestones from a cemetary that nobody puts flowers on anymore so that new tombs can have the best spots instead of these old fucks nobody remembers about. I don't think that's very respectful for a carebear hippie pothead like you! ♡

loramin
09-22-2019, 01:32 AM
the fact that it is not forever loramin. these characters were created and they exist, ready to pop out of obscurity at any time. the value is in reinforcing the idea that p99 is a stable server and a stable environment where your characters are "safe". I know character purges are classic, but they were not universally liked, and they were far from systematic either.

You're asking to remove old gravestones from a cemetary that nobody puts flowers on anymore so that new tombs can have the best spots instead of these old fucks nobody remembers about. I don't think that's very respectful for a carebear hippie pothead like you! ♡

I'm not sold that because someone put five seconds of thought to name a character, and then forgot said character existed for years at a time, that it equates to something worthy of a gravestone.

They're more like the body of an insect: individually they mostly go unnoticed, but you want to clean them before too many pile up. A for effort on the pitch though :)

Daud
09-22-2019, 09:34 AM
All that and you still couldn't define the value to NOT get ridding of the characters no one is using:

I answered all of your points in a respectful manner in the best way I could. I don't expect you to "get it", because we obviously value different things and it's just going to give different outcomes in opinions. So, one more time:

We can quibble about exactly how little value giving people name choices has, but if you equate any value whatsoever to it ... what's the corresponding value to letting characters and names rot forever un-used? There must be some value there to make you actively against a wipe.

I finished my post on my main point:

not feeling it's right to delete other people's characters regardless of how much and when they've played.

Do I really need to explain to you that feeling taking something from someone could not feel right to someone? That's the value. Not doing something that's (I feel) is wrong, taking something from someone else regardless of how much they use it since it's not impeding anyone else's enjoyment of the game to any significant degree.

When I typed "all that", I even explained that I understood that some people felt like they couldn't get a good name. I explained why I didn't feel the same way, why I might feel differently if circumstances were different from my own experiences, and showed why I felt that way giving your specific name example.

dwarf_cleric420
09-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Really not a lot to ask to get to lvl 2 if u want to keep a character or name

Shrubwise
09-22-2019, 10:22 AM
They should copy over the name database from blue and block them all from being created on Green. When Green ends and merges with blue, characters should have a green name bar, original blue toons keep their blue name bars.

Vidar
09-22-2019, 10:59 AM
So let me get this straight.

I have 3 accounts tied to my forum account or whatever. If i have 1 name on each account that i want on green i have to log into 3 separate accounts instead of being able to use them all on 1 account?

Nilstoniakrath
09-22-2019, 11:15 AM
So let me get this straight.

I have 3 accounts tied to my forum account or whatever. If i have 1 name on each account that i want on green i have to log into 3 separate accounts instead of being able to use them all on 1 account?

It has nothing to do with your forum account. In their announcement, they stated that you can use your name on Blue on Green IF you use the same login account. So the number of accounts you will have to log on to will not change, if you decide to recreate characters on Green with the same names you have on Blue.

loramin
09-22-2019, 11:35 AM
I answered all of your points in a respectful manner in the best way I could. I don't expect you to "get it", because we obviously value different things and it's just going to give different outcomes in opinions. So, one more time:

I finished my post on my main point:

Do I really need to explain to you that feeling taking something from someone could not feel right to someone? That's the value. Not doing something that's (I feel) is wrong, taking something from someone else regardless of how much they use it since it's not impeding anyone else's enjoyment of the game to any significant degree.

When I typed "all that", I even explained that I understood that some people felt like they couldn't get a good name. I explained why I didn't feel the same way, why I might feel differently if circumstances were different from my own experiences, and showed why I felt that way giving your specific name example.

Well, I've found one person ... one, out of the entire forum (or at least those willing to comment on the topic) ... who at least claims to believe that there's more value to the "permanence" of accounts (that literally no one has played in years) than there is in freeing up all those names for people to actually ... you know ... play the damn game with! (Which, last I checked, was the entire point of having them.)

I can now no longer say "everyone in the forum is pro-basic wipe"; I now have to say "everyone except one freak ..." ;)

Daud
09-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Well, I've found one person ... one, out of the entire forum (or at least those willing to comment on the topic) ... who at least claims to believe that there's more value to the "permanence" of accounts (that literally no one has played in years) than there is in freeing up all those names for people to actually ... you know ... play the damn game with! (Which, last I checked, was the entire point of having them.)

You can keep saying that the poll doesn't count, that people like Nagoya and Nilstoniakrath and a handful of others who are against it and have posted aren't really there,

You know what, nevermind, I'm not doing this with you anymore here.

You just start calling people names when they don't immediately agree with you. I don't fully blame you, staff allows this shit to go on and it's just SOP now, no one gets their dick slapped like they should when they start name calling and trying to get stuff moved to RNF. You win, it's obvious people are right when they say these boards are a toxic shit hole and you should just stick to the auction and class sections and completely avoid any of the "general chats", just trying to have a respectful disagreement isn't possible here without.

Nagoya
09-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Thanks Daud, for a second here Loramin erased me from existence lol.

Honestly, if any other system would have to be put into place, it would be a complete total fresh start, including all the reputation theft and ensuing drama. 100% fresh server, deal with it. FTE for your name and then cry me a fucking river when someone uses your name to be a dick.

Loramin there is one thing that you put absolutely no value in, and it is staff time.
How much time does it take for them to purge any kind of name base you want them to purge with all your super good filtering ideas?
versus doing absolutely nothing more than what they have already done.
It is their free time bro. Give them an easy solution:

a) do nothing more than what you have already done to protect blue99 toons' reputation, incl. the tiny flaws in the plan. thanks for thinking about something btw!
b) do nothing more than what a completely new server would do: all names available, good luck have fun. thanks for the new server btw!

if you had a tiny bit of respect for the staff you would be super okay with either.
you're asking people to work for you for free Brent.

Vidar
09-22-2019, 01:23 PM
It has nothing to do with your forum account. In their announcement, they stated that you can use your name on Blue on Green IF you use the same login account. So the number of accounts you will have to log on to will not change, if you decide to recreate characters on Green with the same names you have on Blue.

No i mean the eqemu account not forum. And i have names spread across 3 accounts. my question is will be able to take a name from all 3 and put them on one account on green. if not that is retarded.

Nilstoniakrath
09-22-2019, 01:36 PM
No i mean the eqemu account not forum. And i have names spread across 3 accounts. my question is will be able to take a name from all 3 and put them on one account on green. if not that is retarded.

The way it was worded, you cannot move the name from one account to another. Not sure they have a way of knowing that you "own" that other account, or have the desire to do that extra legwork, even if they do have a way

Vidar
09-22-2019, 02:11 PM
The way it was worded, you cannot move the name from one account to another. Not sure they have a way of knowing that you "own" that other account, or have the desire to do that extra legwork, even if they do have a way

Yah this is what i am worried about. When i joined p99 you had to make an account with EQEMU then you could log into the game. But with that account you were allowed to have 3 accounts per eqemu account(seems to me that this could a way for them to see that we own names across 3 diff accounts)( not to mention when i made characters on these different accounts i didnt know it would impact my naming abilities on a server however many years in the future.). Considering that we are on year 10 of a 3(ish) year timeline it isnt hard to see that me and many others have WAAAYYYY more characters and accounts than we would have on a recycle server. BUUUTTTT, with this naming set up i have to continue to use 3 accounts to use the names that i "Own". They really do need to rethink this naming rule thing. It seems that there are plenty of ways to accomplish what they want without all the downsides.

Personally, it is a new server and names should be up for grabs. and if you dont care enough to be there day one to get yours then you dont care. I dont see the problem with that. Yes there are special cases but that is far from the norm. There are too many accounts that have been inactive for 1+ years for it to be ok to save their names. they arent playing. they dont matter. it isnt difficult to get. Dont reward people who arent playing and punish people who are. come on.

/rant over i guess. This is just a really shitty situation. I have been so excited about green but this is so dumb. from top to bottom this isnt a smart move.

loramin
09-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Thanks Daud, for a second here Loramin erased me from existence lol.

My apologies Nagoya, I did not mean to "erase you from existence", I just got caught up in talking to Daud and forgot you had chimed in.

Now that there are a whole two of you who sincerely believe that having names sit unused for(literally) years at a time > people actually using them to play a game ... I guess I can't use the word "freak" anymore (which, to be clear Daud, was meant in the "freak storm" sense, not the "you're a freak for your beliefs" sense ... because I previously believed you to be a lone outlier ... not as name calling).

Loramin there is one thing that you put absolutely no value in, and it is staff time.
How much time does it take for them to purge any kind of name base you want them to purge with all your super good filtering ideas?
versus doing absolutely nothing more than what they have already done.
It is their free time bro. Give them an easy solution:

a) do nothing more than what you have already done to protect blue99 toons' reputation, incl. the tiny flaws in the plan. thanks for thinking about something btw!
b) do nothing more than what a completely new server would do: all names available, good luck have fun. thanks for the new server btw!

if you had a tiny bit of respect for the staff you would be super okay with either.
you're asking people to work for you for free Brent.

Ok first off, I'm pretty sure someone reported that the staff said they were going to do a wipe, so you're literally arguing that the thing they're saying they're going to do is too hard for them to do.

But also ... I'm a programmer. Databases, whether on precision medicine web applications, or in 20-year old elf simulators, work the same way. If you can write a SQL query (and I'm 99.9% certain P99 uses a SQL database and not some fancy new NoSQL one like Mongo) to identify the records you want to get rid of, then that plus one second to execute it is all the time it takes.

Now of course I'm oversimplifying a little, and obviously no one on the staff is going to run any kind of mass-character-altering query without spending some time double-checking their work first ... but the point is, unless you get super complex in how you identify unplayed characters, the tech of performing this clean-up is not difficult.

Nagoya
09-22-2019, 06:14 PM
not difficult != zero value

you're lying to yourself mate.
you want people to work for you for free, admit it.
stop asking for stuff and enjoy the show ;)

Daud
09-22-2019, 06:24 PM
My apologies Nagoya, I did not mean to "erase you from existence", I just got caught up in talking to Daud and forgot you had chimed in.

Now that there are a whole two of you who sincerely believe that having names sit unused for(literally) years at a time > people actually using them to play a game ... I guess I can't use the word "freak" anymore (which, to be clear Daud, was meant in the "freak storm" sense, not the "you're a freak for your beliefs" sense ... because I previously believed you to be a lone outlier ... not as name calling).

Yeah, ok.

Anyways, I really, really don't like calling out a bunch of posters by name and playing the quote game since I don't entirely speak for them, maybe there's more to their opinion than what they wrote. I am not going to debate these people's words for them, if they want to clarify further then can. But I will point this out: there are lots of people who recognize that there are people against this, because most others at least using words like "compromise" and "debate" in their posts before I showed up. In contrast, you seem to be the only one actually trying to claim (now almost) complete consensus. And let's not forget the only way you want to claim that there are very few people against it based on comments:

You just don't count the poll in a poll thread. I'm not going to let that go because that's a shitty thing to do, and here's why.

1. OP didn't make it clear that your opinion in the poll wasn't gonna count for anything if they didn't post. Applying that standard, solely against people you disagree with, absolutely reeks of bias. I simply cannot understand someone as logical as you doesn't just immediately see this.

2. The poll had 2 options:

a. Things stay the same. What else is there to talk about? Why does anyone need to do anything more than vote? It's pretty simple and straightforward. I don't blame people not wanting to dive into this trainwreck just to have to have people keep defending a simple opinion ad nauseam to people.

b. In favor of some kind of rename or delete. This is something you an actually discuss, if you're open to renaming/deleting, you can post what levels you think, naked, account age, last login, playtime, etc etc, so of course there is going to be more discussion about it.

I don't like the way OP worded the poll or the post, but I'm not going to just throw away all those opinions because you, what, think they're all trolls? Because no one besides me and a couple other people are willing to write multiple paragraphs and posts exhaustively explaining over and over and over in every single detailed possible way when it was never more complex than "I don't think there's a problem getting names and I don't like taking things away from people based on a feeling so I'm against it"? God damn, dude, I just gave an opinion and it's like defending a fuckin PHD thesis with you.

Nilstoniakrath
09-22-2019, 06:55 PM
I don't like the way OP worded the poll or the post

I meant to bring this up earlier. The poll choices are worded in a very biased way to get as many "YES" votes as possible, and still, the NO votes are nearly equal to the YES votes. That indicates that there is not a clear consensus against the naming policy as announced, and definitely not near-unanimous disapproval.

Maker_Mayhem
09-22-2019, 07:44 PM
To reveal the OP intent: It was worded in a way to incite thought and with an added dose of sarcasm and light heartedness. (and slight, slight mischief?)

There are several players who may not have been around long enough to have known about the update by the Dev Staff a few years back when they announced their "1 millionth character created."

So it wasn't an exaggerated statement or meant to just be biased to the max. It was also to keep the facts in place and concise from the top end, knowing several players wouldn't take the time to read my actual post. However, I'll admit that it was more fun to word it such than just "Yay" and "Nay" lol ;).

In all honesty, either way, I have several unique character names I thoroughly enjoy.

I just feel that with a brand new server launch, 10 years coming -- it should atleast tidy up and get rid of the dust bunnies, being that, it will not be its own stand alone server (thus merging into Blue).

And that is my personal opinion -- no use in arguing it. Some may agree and some may disagree and that is 100% fine. Doesn't make me below or you above or of a superior intellect whether you and I fail to ascertain the same line of thought... it means we are made different, we think different, we are different. And thank God! Else there would be no good debates! ;)

There have been good points on both sides, and I am of the camp that believes there is usually a "balance" somewhere in the middle. But it is not for me to decide where that balance lies. Rogean, Nilbog and Co. have done a sufficient job thus far -- my main intent was that the issue was raised to their ear and left for them to re-evaluate and decide whether anything needs to be revisited or not.

However, my sincere wish would be that for those of you involved in the much heated debate, that you might take a step back from the frustration of being misunderstood, to the realization that, though we disagree on some points, we are more alike than different in the regard that we all obviously hold classic EQ in high regard....how many other communities of 2,000 people are still passionate about a purist movement involving a 20 year old elf sim? Haha. Just thinking..

I have read each of your posts and am grateful that, even though we may disagree, atleast we think it worthy to be brought up and mentioned and argued either way. But at the end of the day I hope we can all be satisfied with our randomly generated name or our withdrawal from the name bank and move on and have fun with green together.

Nagoya
10-19-2019, 01:59 AM
I've been wanting to name a toon Nausicaa forever and i'm kinda mad at the lad who took the name and never played the character.

ok fine, i take back everything i have said about the purge.
finally got Nausicaa after all these years and i was wrong, new names for grabs was cool tonight.

take that internet, i change my mind and i admit i was wrong.
what r u gonna do now!?

Baler
10-19-2019, 02:01 AM
A thoroughly approve of this necro >:-)

Steelthorn
10-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Agreed. I mean how often do you see someone on the internet admit that they were wrong?

Maker_Mayhem
10-19-2019, 03:13 PM
:)