PDA

View Full Version : What will be your primary class on Green?

Bravak
09-12-2019, 07:51 AM
With all of the excitement surrounding the potential upcoming release of the Green server, I thought it might be interesting to take a poll to get a general idea of the levels of interest in each of the classes. This thread and poll were inspired by Vetia and other members who recently posted similar questions.

Which class will you play as your primary character on Green?

Let's assume a full classic set of rules that include hybrid and racial experience penalties. Also, there is not an "Undecided" option, so if you are still unsure about which class you will be playing save your vote until you make your decision. Maybe this poll will at least give us a rough idea of the class distribution. :D

Muggens
09-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Tsk tsk u forgot 911 option ... nerds gonna rage

bradsamma
09-12-2019, 11:51 AM
0 bards so far. People are liars!

Chortles Snort|eS
09-12-2019, 12:06 PM
C U ReAL SooN

Jibartik
09-12-2019, 12:24 PM
No ranger is making me think eyepatch ranger..

Spacebar
09-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Enchanter #8 reporting in.

soronil
09-12-2019, 01:23 PM
0 bards so far. People are liars!

hybrid penalty scary. only 6 hotbar buttons scary.

Jibartik
09-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Ok I put my vote in I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind.

https://i.imgur.com/DwCxo7g.png

Any guides on slaying barbarians as a means for experience?

vetia
09-12-2019, 06:09 PM
With all of the excitement surrounding the potential upcoming release of the Green server, I thought it might be interesting to take a poll to get a general idea of the levels of interest in each of the classes. This thread and poll were inspired by Vetia and other members who recently posted similar questions.

Which class will you play as your primary character on Green?

Let's assume a full classic set of rules that include hybrid and racial experience penalties. Also, there is not an "Undecided" option, so if you are still unsure about which class you will be playing save your vote until you make your decision. Maybe this poll will at least give us a rough idea of the class distribution. :D

Thanks Bravak. This is what I wanted to do but I didn't know how to make a poll LOL....

Bravak
09-12-2019, 06:24 PM
No worries, you had a great idea. I think it will help people see which classes may be most in demand, at least among the forum-users.

Evia
09-12-2019, 06:26 PM
am I really the only masochist that wants to play a rogue in vanilla? sure they're gimp AF but once kunark unlocks i'll ding 51 and work on the RAGEBRINGER and every group that was kind enough to take me during 1-50 with my serrated bone dirk will get my LOYALTY AND FRIENDSHIP

Mewse
09-12-2019, 09:12 PM
Wizard. 6 button hotbar isn't a big deal, and someone's got to port you to Hate and Sky.

Shourty
09-12-2019, 09:31 PM
That doesn't look like blue will be drained. I just gota figure which race to necro with. Probably dark elf so I can see in the dark. Hated anyway.

Cen
09-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Bumping this topic with an anecdote: I had a dream about the Guise. I wasnt playing EQ at all. It was just loke a real life item me and other people found, but an update happened and they all stopped working (even though that's not what happened in game). It was weird i haven't been on p99 in months either.

Legidias
09-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Everyone lying about not making magicians to rush content...

Lojik
09-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Everyone lying about not making magicians to rush content...

I might. I've narrowed it down to 4 classes I think I'd play so far. Wiz/enc/mag/clr. Enc and clr I haven't really played so maybe I'd try them?

Mage is just kind of boring and they're really going to lack cc at the start since root nets will be few and far between and will probably be without Earth pets at some levels. Mages feel so helpless sometimes compared to every other caster class. But yeah, probably the best stacking class and can get by without research. Won't be the backbone of any group but they always add a lot to them.

Demoraliser
09-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Ogre Warrior

BBIII
09-15-2019, 05:39 PM
Is old world still a time where practically anyone can tank with slow? Monks tank okay with sham? Can bard tank with sham?

Demoraliser
09-15-2019, 05:43 PM
Is old world still a time where practically anyone can tank with slow? Monks tank okay with sham? Can bard tank with sham?

SHM - http://wiki.project1999.com/Togor%27s_Insects - 60% slow at level 50
ENC - http://wiki.project1999.com/Shiftless_Deeds - 55% slow at level 50

loramin
09-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Slow depends heavily on your level. At level 39 you get Togor's, which starts at 1/2 and only gets better with levels. Pretty soon it's not just possible for shaman to tank with bards or monks ... they can tank for themselves (in many places).

But prior to that slow is kind of weak. The next best one you get is at 29 with Tagar's, and that is only a 1/3rd slow to start. I don't think Shaman will really convert any non-tanking classes into tanks with a 1/3rd slow, so again that's more of something to expect at higher levels.

bwe
09-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Debating whether it's worth it to invest time in a non Iksar necromancer

pink grapefruit
09-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Was thinking bard but with the UI changes (lol) I'll prolly go cazic eru cleric

xCry0x
09-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Druid for a variety of vanilla reasons. If I were to try hard it would be a druid first with the intent to level a shaman for kunark.

Always found soloing as an enchanter exhausting. Powerful, but exhausting.

Zeboim
09-15-2019, 11:31 PM
I thought about this for a pretty long while. My first thought was a Gnome Necro. There's definitely an appeal to that for me still, I'd say Gnomes are my favorite Necros after Iksar, and are in general pretty cool.

But then I remembered, I've always wanted to play a Troll Shaman... just I've never wanted to deal with starting from scratch with that massive plat sink that is Torpor, Fungis, and all that. Seems like now is the perfect time to scratch that itch.

ScottBerta
09-16-2019, 12:37 AM
Has to be Hafling Cleric... or is it gnome Necro... or Erudite Mage, maybe woodelf druid, bah back to square 1. /sigh

Dolalin
09-16-2019, 04:02 AM
Was thinking bard but with the UI changes (lol) I'll prolly go cazic eru cleric

Don't think evil eru clerics were an option at launch but I might be wrong. I think they came with Paineel.

Sonderbeast
09-16-2019, 04:12 AM
Don't think evil eru clerics were an option at launch but I might be wrong. I think they came with Paineel.

I'm about to cry

Dolalin
09-16-2019, 04:41 AM
You can still be an evil human cleric. Evil humans have some of the most interesting faction modifiers, they're accepted almost everywhere, including most of Neriak.

Hnerrir
09-16-2019, 11:28 AM
Looking a little light on tanks...that experience penalty scaring away the SKs?

Jibartik
09-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Yeah its making me consider a monk with golden pants and blue skin.

Zeboim
09-16-2019, 12:22 PM
Looking a little light on tanks...that experience penalty scaring away the SKs?

I think the thought of having to tank but also not getting groups because of the shared XP penalty is definitely going to do some damage.

I don't think it's enough to cause people to actually play Warriors, however.

xCry0x
09-16-2019, 08:18 PM
I think the thought of having to tank but also not getting groups because of the shared XP penalty is definitely going to do some damage.

I don't think it's enough to cause people to actually play Warriors, however.

Playing a warrior is easy.

Being effective at your role in the group ... that is a different story.

Tanks in general are rough because getting gear in vanilla isn't an easy feat without an organized group.

Jimjam
09-16-2019, 08:28 PM
Warrior's role is to stand on the toes of a rooted mob!

jacobar
09-16-2019, 11:12 PM
Tsk tsk u forgot 911 option ... nerds gonna rage

literally this

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-17-2019, 04:12 AM
CAn someone dumb down the xp penalty for me please? I used to quite enjoy playing SK. I actually wouldnt mind starting a new char on green who i havent played for ages/at all but if its going to mean groups activley AVOID me then the hell with that.

Dolalin
09-17-2019, 04:50 AM
XP penalty in classic is much higher for hybrids, and crucially, is shared amongst the group. A group with an SK for a tank will level slower than one with a warrior.

A troll SK splits his 46% xp penalty out amongst the members so it's like everyone in the group now has a 7.6% xp penalty (full group). In a duo you give your partner a 23% xp penalty for the pleasure of grouping with you.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-17-2019, 05:01 AM
Hrm sure but presumably if you duo with an SK you have less downtime than without?

I'm sure the maths isn't that easy but 20% xp penalty is worth it in some situations assuming your killing faster than the person could solo?

1 mob per minute vs 3 mobs per min?

Am i over simplifying?

Whoop
09-17-2019, 06:37 AM
I'm pending between ench, mage or monk at the moment. I would love to play a more group oriented gameplay this time since all will be fresh. But I find it difficult with small kinds in the house.

Played a human necro on blue so that wont happen on green(even tho i love the class). How would a self depending solo monk do on classic?

Jimjam
09-17-2019, 07:05 AM
I'm not sure about a human monk, but my iksar could solo blue NAKED while CRing during her twenties in guk.

Obviously she had iksar ac bonus and regen, but a green human might have a full set of raw silk, mesh or cured silk and slightly faster fists to compensate vs the naked iksar.

Throw in battle bandage and you'll be laughing!

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Roll human monk, only loot tradeable items that can be worn by iksar monk.
Kunark release. Pass all gear to iksar monk. GG till green (2023)

Tethler
09-17-2019, 07:38 AM
Still undecided if I'll play on green, but if I do, it's gonna be a human ranger for maximum immersion.

soronil
09-17-2019, 10:37 AM
i have a whole roster planned, but I can't decide what to focus on first.
Human Monk - to level from launch with my brothers shaman for a fun duo and for group. Just a class i would love to play classic / untwinked. Should feel unique since many people are waiting to roll iksar.
Magician - for strong solo capability. I want a toon I can farm stuff with, solo with when i don't have much play time, etc.
Ranger - Really want to play this class, and really want to play it sooner rather than later (dark elf ranger in rubicite, duh)
Cleric - Always wanted to play one. High demand, can always find a group, but not sure if I should prioritize this first few months.

Cleric seems easiest to push back. Still don't know if I can level 3 classes before legacy items stop dropping though, playing ~20 hours a week, while still having enjoyable experience. I don't know which of the other ones I want to delay. Ranger seems like obvious choice, but this forum has made me feel like I'm playing the game wrong if I am not running around green as a dark elf [some class dark elf can not be]!

Jimjam
09-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Shortsword of morin and orc impaler 😏

Budder
09-17-2019, 01:26 PM
Druid for versatility of grouping or solo. Also the port spells later will be a hot ticket along with the ever popular SoW.

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 01:30 PM
Will SoW be free on day 1, like it is on blue?

Jibartik
09-17-2019, 01:31 PM
If you leveling in the swamp, otherwise you gotta wait till day 2 or 3 for those barbs to get outa everfrost or those druids to get level 12 :p

Demoraliser
09-17-2019, 01:33 PM
Playing a barbarian on a fresh server day 1.

Sign Me Up For That Fun Day :D

TazarYoot
09-18-2019, 10:44 AM
That doesn't look like blue will be drained. I just gota figure which race to necro with. Probably dark elf so I can see in the dark. Hated anyway.

Why see in the dark... when you could see through walls... go gnome!

Budder
09-18-2019, 11:07 AM
If you leveling in the swamp, otherwise you gotta wait till day 2 or 3 for those barbs to get outa everfrost or those druids to get level 12 :p

Lmao. There’s gonna be a mass exodus/invasion of Barb Shamans sweeping out of Blackburrow and across the Karanas. I’m almost tempted to join in that fun!

Jibartik
09-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Lmao. There’s gonna be a mass exodus/invasion of Barb Shamans sweeping out of Blackburrow and across the Karanas. I’m almost tempted to join in that fun!

We need to setup a live stream daisy chain, so we can all stream and like, watch everyone in every newbie zone level.

Is there any guides on setting up p99 to fraps or twitch or youtube record/livestream and upload vids?

Qhills is going to be so awesome, but then again, so is befallen and so is crushbone and the orc hill! I want to experience it all!

Budder
09-18-2019, 01:15 PM
We need to setup a live stream daisy chain, so we can all stream and like, watch everyone in every newbie zone level.

Is there any guides on setting up p99 to fraps or twitch or youtube record/livestream and upload vids?

Qhills is going to be so awesome, but then again, so is befallen and so is crushbone and the orc hill! I want to experience it all!

Tempted to start in Quenos hills like I did in 1999 just to see it full again. Makes me sad Blackburrow and surrounding areas is so dead. I still remember killing a skeleton with a staff that sold for 1plat. I was like holy shit I’m rich!!

Jibartik
09-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Qhills is going to be super hilarious.

There are so many exp quest mobs there...

Then in WK there are so many there...

and then in NK you have so many there!

That progression is going to be so competitive I bet.

I cant wait to see what happens.

Aaramis
09-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Qhills is going to be super hilarious.

There are so many exp quest mobs there...

Then in WK there are so many there...

and then in NK you have so many there!

That progression is going to be so competitive I bet.

I cant wait to see what happens.

Yeah, so many XP trains to choose from, even just in the 1-20 route, going to be a tough call.
Crushbone -> Unrest
Nektulos -> Lavastorm / Najena
Blackburrow -> WK bandits -> Highpass gnolls/orcs?
Commonlands orcs -> Befallen -> SRO crocs / orc highway?

Started back in Surefall Glade back in the day on live. Tempted to recreate that, I must admit. It'll be interested to see the naked noob swarm on Pyzjin when she pops.

Nexii
09-18-2019, 02:04 PM
I'm surprised anyone wants to play a hybrid other than bard. On Tholuxe it was about 20 warriors for every ranger/paladin/SK. This was a server made in early Kunark once experience penalties were known

dwarf_cleric420
09-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Experience penalty gives you more gameplay 1-50, maybe that's what they're after

soronil
09-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Trying to whittle down my characters that I want to play. I am trying to pick 2 to focus on.
currently at Monk > Ranger > Mage.
The mage was really just to have a char that could solo camps, farm my other chars some drops / earn some plat (since monk has WR penalty), but I can't play all 3 of these characters from launch and I am really interested in ranger and monk.
Question:
How does the solo ability of a cured-silk-bare-fist Monk compare to a Mage from level 30-50? From a farming /camping rares perspective more than an exp perspective) In dungeon crawling mage has invis, monk has sneak/FD... so mage has easier time getting to camp but monk can split a camp. Outdoors less worried about because I can always fear or bow kite with the ranger

Jibartik
09-18-2019, 03:41 PM
Nektulos -> Lavastorm / Najena

I am super excited about being a bertoxx necro, but I have leveled in qhills so many times that I am considering doing innoruk just to do this rout.

I did LS for my first level 12 character on live and it was the most fun I had back then. It would be pretty, uh, like poetic justice? (idk the phrase I am looking for here) for me to level there for the first time on p99, on green99.

:( I cant decide guys help me :(

soronil
09-18-2019, 03:49 PM
:( I cant decide guys help me :(

Gather shadows at level 8... Start in Qeynos (coolest guildhall in EQ), experience blackburrow for a few levels... get invis, and run the marathon. Finding a Bind in Neriak or FP shouldn't be too bad.

Benanov
09-18-2019, 03:58 PM
How does the solo ability of a cured-silk-bare-fist Monk

ISTR cured silk not being a day 1 item...ISTR it came later.

Jibartik
09-18-2019, 04:14 PM
Gather shadows at level 8... Start in Qeynos (coolest guildhall in EQ), experience blackburrow for a few levels... get invis, and run the marathon. Finding a Bind in Neriak or FP shouldn't be too bad.

This is totally a good idea, because 1 it will help me experience more square footage of green99, but there is this like sneaking sensation that maybe the human innoruk is slightly cool too.

But on the other hand, the roleplay quest to slay varsoon for revenge is pretty damn attractive with that bloodsabers starting point.

Why is this so hard for me to decide it has like no factor on gameplay :mad:

Jadian
09-18-2019, 10:35 PM
Chose cleric but the poll has the ego in me leaning towards SK.

Jibartik
09-18-2019, 10:35 PM
The cult of bertoxxulous is calling...

*wispery magical voices.....

honeybee12874
09-19-2019, 12:25 AM
I voted Druid, probably gonna do a Halfling Druid on Green because I love Rivervale and I hate Kelethin lol (even though I do love my Wood Elf Druid :D)

AegnorP99
09-19-2019, 09:22 AM
Voted cleric, but I am only like 25% sure that's what I'll play. Going to avoid tanks and wizard this time around, but anything else is a possibility!

Hnerrir
09-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Outdoors less worried about because I can always fear or bow kite with the ranger

IIRC, Rangers can't fear kite until Velious...pretty sure they didn't get Panic Animal until then...

Fawqueue
09-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Has it been confirmed whether the Bard AoE nerfs applied to Blue will be on effect or not? That could make a difference on Bard population.

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 03:16 PM
If 3 bards take 4 mobs each, and the zone is thusly disrupted, does this count as zone disruption?

My concern isn't so much 1 bard aoe kiting all the mobs its 6 bards regular kiting all the mobs at the same time.

dajudge
09-19-2019, 03:55 PM
A ranger with Sword of Morin, Orc Impaler and a full suit of Lustrous Russet Armor... or a bard. I can't decide!!! :confused:

soronil
09-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Has it been confirmed whether the Bard AoE nerfs applied to Blue will be on effect or not? That could make a difference on Bard population.

If something non-classic was done on blue to recreate a more classic atmosphere, You can expect that to be on green.

If something was done on blue to match the original timeline, you can expect it to happen on green according to the original timeline.

We are not going to get "confirmation" on each random-ass question someone has... You'll just have to wait a month and see.

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 04:07 PM
A ranger with Sword of Morin, Orc Impaler and a full suit of Lustrous Russet Armor... or a bard. I can't decide!!! :confused:

Imagine watching a darkelf with two swords, full brownish silver plate, casting snare spells, and running through the karanas shooting arrows at things.

Kinda the coolest image I can think of :cool:

soronil
09-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Imagine watching a darkelf with two swords, full brownish silver plate, casting snare spells, and running through the karanas shooting arrows at things.

Kinda the coolest image I can think of :cool:

Kinda reminds me of some books I read... and by some I mean 34 books. Actually just picked up the latest(35th) Drizzt book on audible today.

I have the same plan, Ranger w/guise, except I will settle for full Rubicite=)

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 04:46 PM
I want an evil ranger custom content class that is like an SK and is called a Vampire Hunter.

Aaramis
09-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Kinda reminds me of some books I read... and by some I mean 34 books. Actually just picked up the latest(35th) Drizzt book on audible today.

I have the same plan, Ranger w/guise, except I will settle for full Rubicite=)

Same. Ranger or Bard, not sure which yet, full rubicite is the plan. But God that xp penalty will suck.

Question is, does it suck enough that I should roll a caster first to get the equipment for him? Or just suck it up and muddle through as a gimp?

dajudge
09-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Watching Cros Treewind dominate anyone who harms animals in Qeynos Hills will be incredibly amusing. Definitely Ranger, i'm totally decided... i think! Ha.

Related Lore: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120405

ldgo86
09-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Enchanter now beating Druid!

Press F for shadowknights

soronil
09-19-2019, 06:11 PM
more like press F for the wizard who died because the warrior can't keep aggro with rusty long sword. Someone roll an SK, think of the wizards!

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 08:01 PM
I voted Druid, probably gonna do a Halfling Druid on Green because I love Rivervale and I hate Kelethin lol (even though I do love my Wood Elf Druid :D)

Protip: Bug Colleciton Quest, for your first free 6 slot bag, look for the dude walkn around the newbie yards with a pet firebeetle :cool:

Vx36
09-19-2019, 08:56 PM
more like press F for the wizard who died because the warrior can't keep aggro with rusty long sword. Someone roll an SK, think of the wizards!I am probably switching my vote from necro to Troll SK but you guys might be playing a different game by the time I catch up.

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 09:19 PM
I am probably switching my vote from necro to Troll SK but you guys might be playing a different game by the time I catch up.

I really hope we get to find you a full set of red in CT my dark one.

bwe
09-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Pros cons of Halfling Druid vs Gnome Necromancer?

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Tracking. If both are leveling outdoor the druid is able to work on the whole zone a lot easier than a necro.

But on the other hand, the necro has the advantage in that it can level indoors a lot easier.

However a druid is a healer, which makes them potentially more attractive in grouping situations.

A necro is less gear reliant for lower levels, though a druid is easily gearable on its own.

Also a pet gives the necro an easier play style than a druid needing to manage mana and roots and fears and charms.

But a druid near the karanas has access to very powerful starter quests that can get you a lot of wealth so there's a point for the druid.

Even if you make a pros'/con's column I think its a 50/50 split. I have been wrestling with these two clases, I was sure I would make a druid, but am 90% sure I am going to make a necro. But I do think the druid has a lot of level 1-34 advantages, and gearing it is a lot of fun in classic. All the major wisdom camps are in primely classic zones, where there will be a lot of action, bilge, testement, gbs, I mean you name it, the druid can do any of these across the whole world of norrath at any given time.

The necro, you're going to end up in lower guk a lot. Lots of outdoor zones are great for a necro to be sure, but its not as easy to just port around and find the open camps.

I think the druid is all in all going to be a more fun playstyle, but the necro will be rewarding in the long run. At least that's what I am telling myself.

If you break down the two, both are good indoors and outdoors, but each excel in one or the other comparatively. The druid will offer you more outdoor fun, while the necro will offer you more indoor. Id pick what you want to get out of green between those two themes. Sol A? Or the Karanas?

Lojik
09-19-2019, 10:21 PM
a necro can /pet attack to see if named are up in the whole zone tho

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 10:32 PM
An excellent point that does give a necro a point in its pro column, still for clearing Ph's and stuff track is a lot more helpful.

But the necro does get a bit of a bonus for being able to know what is up outside of basically your line of sight track distance on a druid so eh.

Zalora
09-20-2019, 12:13 AM
Not a lot of Shadow Knights. Is there a reason for that...?

Lojik
09-20-2019, 01:12 AM
Not a lot of Shadow Knights. Is there a reason for that...?

1) I'm not sure this poll is going to be indicative of what you end up seeing
2) Tanks/melee will be struggling for gear
3) SK have 40% XP Penalty, and two of the superior races have additional penalties. Ogre SK maybe 55% penalty and Troll SK 68%

Whoop
09-20-2019, 05:44 AM
My god how will I ever be able to decide...

Aaramis
09-20-2019, 07:43 AM

Good soloability, mobility (teleports, SoW) and group invites for buffs and heals vs. soloing god and awesome undead nukes (great for unrest, and later lguk).

Jimjam
09-20-2019, 08:35 AM
1) I'm not sure this poll is going to be indicative of what you end up seeing
2) Tanks/melee will be struggling for gear
3) SK have 40% XP Penalty, and two of the superior races have additional penalties. Ogre SK maybe 55% penalty and Troll SK 68%

I like to think of it more as an 'enjoy the game for longer' bonus.

Let's face it, we've been at this for 20 years. We don't need stuff to hurry our progress!

soronil
09-20-2019, 09:46 AM
I am probably switching my vote from necro to Troll SK but you guys might be playing a different game by the time I catch up.

You'll be in a group most of the time, so exp penalty is shared and not quite as bad. If you group with a bunch of non hybrids it'll be more like a 20% penalty for everyone (but honestly you may exp 20% faster with a good tank...)

soronil
09-20-2019, 09:51 AM
I like to think of it more as an 'enjoy the game for longer' bonus.

Let's face it, we've been at this for 20 years. We don't need stuff to hurry our progress!

I mean, part of me agrees with you. But according to the internet. the proper way to play green is to get guises on as many characters as i can in 7 months!

honeybee12874
09-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Protip: Bug Colleciton Quest, for your first free 6 slot bag, look for the dude walkn around the newbie yards with a pet firebeetle :cool:

Ooooh, thanks for the tip! :D

apraxic
09-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Will the pet experience sharing from blue be live on green from the start? Or is that something that gets added during the patch timeline like dots ticking for less on moving targets?

Might have change my plans to afk farm using only my pet as a troll shadow knight; although +236% exp required shouldn’t be that bad, right? The potential pet xp sharing is literally the only problem with this plan.

My less exciting backup plan is to play a magician normally, but it also seems like it would be rough to out dps the pet or chain summon on green.

Cen
09-20-2019, 11:21 PM
You'll be in a group most of the time, so exp penalty is shared and not quite as bad. If you group with a bunch of non hybrids it'll be more like a 20% penalty for everyone (but honestly you may exp 20% faster with a good tank...)

It's most of the time less then that. It would end up being between 2-4% per person depending on your level. Its a way, WAY smaller penalty for the rest of the group then people seem to advertise. What's happening is each level's total experience for your hybrid/race is increased, so the group treats you like a higher level character by that much experience, but to be honest, its even less then that too in almost every case (unless the hybrid is the highest level character).

dwarf_cleric420
09-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Can we sticky this

sylvo
09-26-2019, 09:13 AM
Whats up with all the Dr00ds

Deathrydar
09-26-2019, 09:24 AM

Easy class to level (practically no xp penalty). Can solo. Wanted in groups (at least for the early levels). Easy class to make money (with ports). You get SoW. You get damage shields. Why not be a druid?

DMN
09-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Easy class to level (practically no xp penalty). Can solo. Wanted in groups (at least for the early levels). Easy class to make money (with ports). You get SoW. You get damage shields. Why not be a druid?

And don't forget they are the second biggest beneficiary of obtaining a manastone. And more than just porting for money, porting to just get yourself/friends around. The server isn't going to be overflowing with druids waiting to port you whenever you need it like blue.

Jibartik
09-26-2019, 09:31 AM

They are a great starter class that can be customized to do a lot of different endgame goals.

They're easy to learn and easy to master and also can generate value basically by just hanging out with people..

For classic content they have a lot of advantages because a lot of great content exists outdoors and druids have the most utility outdoors, not the best, but the most and its all good enough.

And even indoors they can offer healing, which can sometimes just plop you into a great exp group on its own.

If you dont find a group or camp you can port around to somewhere you can.

They have little exp penalties and in some cases bonuses.

They cant be dark elves.

In Kunark they become less powerful, but they will still generate a lot of plat while you play your Iksar!

Overall they are a really fun class to play giving you a lot of options at any moment to fill a wide variety of roles.

IriBlair
09-26-2019, 09:32 AM
I can't choose between a Ranger or a Wizard. When we get to Kunark, def making an Iksar Shaman tho.

Cen
09-26-2019, 11:59 AM
I voted ranger.. But I might make an Ogre SK/Warrior/Shaman or Halfling Cleric or Dwarf Paladin.

I cant decide.

Deathrydar
09-26-2019, 12:01 PM
I don't know yet. Playing with classes on blue that I never even touched before. Probably either Magician or Necromancer....maybe a Druid....I will vote once I have more experience with the Mage and Necro.

gilfaethwy
09-29-2019, 12:31 AM
I'm in the same boat as Deathbyradar. Haven't played in about 17-18 years but worked both as a cleric and shaman back in the day (enchanter in beta which was brutal). Not sure what direction I'll be going here.

I'd love to go enchanter again but don't have the time/patience to be so group-reliant to level. 20 years later limits your time to play for many of us!

I'm thinking mage/necro just because it's the easiest to jump on and off as time allows. Can't go druid because the special snowflake inside of me won't allow it.

Deathrydar
09-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Shadow Knights get no love! Can't believe that poll has more Paladins and more Rangers than Shadow Knights. Weird.

soronil
09-29-2019, 10:50 AM
Shadow Knights get no love! Can't believe that poll has more Paladins and more Rangers than Shadow Knights. Weird.

Guise of the deceiver.

Vexenu
09-29-2019, 10:56 AM
Guise of the deceiver.But still, you figure you would see more Ogre and Troll SKs looking to guise up early for the shrink and FashionQuest benefit. DE SK look with Ogre stats? Sounds good to me.

soronil
09-29-2019, 11:24 AM
But still, you figure you would see more Ogre and Troll SKs looking to guise up early for the shrink and FashionQuest benefit. DE SK look with Ogre stats? Sounds good to me.

168% exp penalty on that troll. Guise on big races is cool, but guise on classes that can't be DE is next level. You will for sure see a lot of troll/ogre shamans going for guise.

Vexenu
09-29-2019, 11:55 AM
The most surprising aspect of this poll is we currently have more declared Warriors than Magicians. Meaning that literally the worst class in vanilla is slated to have more play than the best class. That strikes me as extremely unrealistic. I predict at least 50% of the declared melees and hybrids will re-roll casters within the first two weeks, once they get reminded how awful untwinked melees are and how ridiculously strong a naked Mage/Necro/Druid can be in comparison.

Danth
09-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Shadow Knight showing appropriate classic popularity.

Danth

Gustoo
09-29-2019, 12:08 PM
The most surprising aspect of this poll is we currently have more declared Warriors than Magicians. Meaning that literally the worst class in vanilla is slated to have more play than the best class. That strikes me as extremely unrealistic. I predict at least 50% of the declared melees and hybrids will re-roll casters within the first two weeks, once they get reminded how awful untwinked melees are and how ridiculously strong a naked Mage/Necro/Druid can be in comparison.

Dude there's going to be 6 up groups everywhere. Now is the time to pick the class you like.

Fammaden
09-29-2019, 12:27 PM
Requesting sticky for the thread.

Vexenu
09-29-2019, 01:06 PM
Dude there's going to be 6 up groups everywhere. Now is the time to pick the class you like.

I hope you're right. I plan on rolling a melee. But I think a lot of people who got used to playing their melee twinks on Blue are in for a rude awakening on Green. It's a night and day difference playing twinked vs untwinked melee. I'm talking literally it might as well be an entirely different game. And that includes even modest twinking with HP rings, Banded-tier armor and cheap Kunark weapons. The brutality of classic EQ on untwinked melee classes cannot be overstated. Those early levels are hellish. A 10/22 Sword of Skyfire is literally a throwaway item on Blue. On Green that is Planar-level gear. That is the level of difference I'm talking. It's gonna be very rough going for awhile.

StrangerComesKnocking
09-29-2019, 04:30 PM
I will be making a ogre sk and a ogre shaman. I voted as sk. I dont think it will be hard to find a group as sk tank, and it definately wont be hard to keep a group as one ;).

Lojik
10-02-2019, 10:58 PM
If one was to randomly select class/race/deity, should it be random class, then random race, then random deity? Or weight each of the 245 combos equally?

dekova
10-02-2019, 11:28 PM
If one was to randomly select class/race/deity, should it be random class, then random race, then random deity? Or weight each of the 245 combos equally?

If you're going to go random, race then diety then class.

Vizax_Xaziv
10-02-2019, 11:38 PM
I say race - class - deity to ensure compatibility

Shit I may do this too cuz I'm totally stumped on what I wanna play. Always wanted a high level Druid so I'm leaning that direction but maybe I'll bust out the DnD dice to decide for me....

Sonark
10-03-2019, 12:06 AM
I hope you're right. I plan on rolling a melee. But I think a lot of people who got used to playing their melee twinks on Blue are in for a rude awakening on Green. It's a night and day difference playing twinked vs untwinked melee. I'm talking literally it might as well be an entirely different game. And that includes even modest twinking with HP rings, Banded-tier armor and cheap Kunark weapons. The brutality of classic EQ on untwinked melee classes cannot be overstated. Those early levels are hellish. A 10/22 Sword of Skyfire is literally a throwaway item on Blue. On Green that is Planar-level gear. That is the level of difference I'm talking. It's gonna be very rough going for awhile.This is also true of Tanks, and especially Warriors, for all you min maxers out there who want this slow as snails game to be a slightly less slow as snails game.

soronil
10-03-2019, 01:02 AM
I say race - class - deity to ensure compatibility

Shit I may do this too cuz I'm totally stumped on what I wanna play. Always wanted a high level Druid so I'm leaning that direction but maybe I'll bust out the DnD dice to decide for me....

Even though race seems more natural choice to roll first, you are very likely to end up with a warrior or rogue that way, and very unlikely to end up with a bard or shaman.

Rolling class first ensures you have a equal chance for each class. I just look at the "sortable race/class/diety maxtrix on the forums, sort by class, and use the sequencing there.

Fammaden
10-03-2019, 07:08 AM
Random your toon:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CHDmoodYf1DGt0EllTwNnA942Hhiu0rgcgqnZEvxXb4/edit#gid=1310744547

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 07:10 AM
So many Enchanters that are going to re-roll once they figure out that it is very difficult to solo when you have your newbie robe on and no other gear.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 07:15 AM

THIS^^

So many people always complain that there aren't groups or that their class isn't "group friendly" or they have an experience penalty or something else.

NOW is the time to play the class that you always wanted to play, but "couldn't" because of some kind of excuse you had. Play it while the masses are all together and need to group! Play it at launch!!

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-03-2019, 07:26 AM
Agreed. Honestly if I had a group and we needed a tank i would screw any penaltys and just take any tank. Someone doesnt like it? Screw em. Beats waiting for another to come along.

You know whats worse than an xp penalty in the group, sitting around looking for the optimum group and not killing as fast.

Fammaden
10-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Agreed. Honestly if I had a group and we needed a tank i would screw any penaltys and just take any tank. Someone doesnt like it? Screw em. Beats waiting for another to come along.

You know whats worse than an xp penalty in the group, sitting around looking for the optimum group and not killing as fast.

People constantly cite this exact specific scenario, but you know what's more likely? Group of five seeks tank, or has tank they are ok with and needs just one of any other that can do damage. In zone lfg are a halfling war and a troll sk. Which one you think the group is going to pick?

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 07:36 AM
People constantly cite this exact specific scenario, but you know what's more likely? Group of five seeks tank, or has tank they are ok with and needs just one of any other that can do damage. In zone lfg are a halfling war and a troll sk. Which one you think the group is going to pick?

I'd choose whichever player:

1. Asked first
2. Could get to our location the quickest

Fammaden
10-03-2019, 07:39 AM
I'd choose whichever player:

1. Asked first
2. Could get to our location the quickest

I said they were both in zone. You do an lfg check, no one knows who has been there longer.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 07:43 AM
I said they were both in zone. You do an lfg check, no one knows who has been there longer.

Oh, sorry. I guess next I would ask the current group if they ever grouped with either of them (reputation check). Then I guess I would find out if one of the two classes would a better fit the group as far as their level to the MOBs we are engaging. Do we need "snap aggro", etc.

But I wouldn't once think or care about the experience penalty. It's almost a null-factor in my opinion after you do all of the numbers.

Fammaden
10-03-2019, 07:48 AM
You wouldn't care I know, but the playerbase at large? Lots of the folks to join us don't even play on blue, much less frequent the forums and absorb all the info they can. I hope there will be a higher level of knowledge about how the penalty works, but given basic human nature I won't be surprised if there is reluctance to invite hybrids when there's another option.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 07:53 AM
You wouldn't care I know, but the playerbase at large? Lots of the folks to join us don't even play on blue, much less frequent the forums and absorb all the info they can. I hope there will be a higher level of knowledge about how the penalty works, but given basic human nature I won't be surprised if there is reluctance to invite hybrids when there's another option.

I'm with ya. It's kinda of sad. Kinda like the real world though as everyone has the wrong opinion of everyone else.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-03-2019, 08:18 AM

Obviously the halfling if that were the case. Im just saying i wouldnt "go out of my way" to complicate the matter.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Obviously the halfling if that were the case. Im just saying i wouldnt "go out of my way" to complicate the matter.

Why the Halfling, may I ask?

Fammaden
10-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Why the Halfling, may I ask?

They always bring snacks and drink and smoke.

Cen
10-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Everyone knows halflings and warriors both have a bonus and if you invite someone with a double bonus your whole group gets double experience. Simple math.

And hybrids are the only classes in the entire game with any type of penalty because any number below 40% isnt even a percent, and if you add three hybrids thats -120% experience and every kill makes you start to lose experience.

And for that reason Seth Rogan and Nilborg should make halfling rangers because the halfling bonus erases the ranger unbounus

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Shaman just passed Bard for the #4 spot. Now all three priest classes are in the top four.

Nagoya
10-05-2019, 06:07 PM
As of 2019-10-05;

The Top Tier: Enchanter Druid
The Tier 2: Cleric, Shaman, Bard
The Middle Boyz: Warrior, Wizard, Necromancer, Magician, Ranger
The No Thanks Boyz: Paladin, Rogue, Monk, Shadow Knight

415 votes is starting to be quite a significant sample, even though poll answers maybe won't correlate to what the person will actually start.

No surprise on the top tier in my opinion. I am surprised Cleric and Bards are so high, but many people had selected bards before the AoE nerf I believe. My only other surprises so far is how high the warrior is, and how low the monk is. But we will see.

I think I have finally set up my mind on a Wizard for my main on Green.
Still hesitating between High Elf, Gnome and Human for the Race.
This is so difficult. We are so pathetic ♡

pink grapefruit
10-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Curious how many who picked ench/bard prior to targeting nerf have changed their minds xDDD

Vizax_Xaziv
10-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Cleric isn't really surprising given they're such an absurdly powerful duo/trio class. Cleric+Mage and Cleric+Chanter can basically hold any camp in classic quite easily.

Wizard (my vote) being equal to or greater than Mage/Necro is more surprising to me. That said, rhey're AMAZING in Classic-era (IMO) and ports to Hate/Sky will be in very high demand - granting a potentially significant source of income. Guilds racing to get up to the planes won't be able to wait for their Wizards for ports and will likely pay a considerable coin to discrete wizards

Gustoo
10-05-2019, 08:00 PM
The only reason monk numbers kinda low is because iksars are so much better.

It's tough because vanilla monk with basically zero gear is some good frickin gaming and it never comes back. Once kubark drops you are geared to the teeth for life.

TROUNCE
10-05-2019, 08:32 PM
The monk weight limit doesn't allow you to get rich(relatively speaking) early on. Looting stuff is fun. That's the main reason I opted against the monk in its prime. Even though i know it would be a blast.

Going Bard, m'self. That's after the announcements to limit targeting, kiting, and hot bottons. Bring on the groups!

Deathrydar
10-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Yeah, monk is probably the most surprising result here. That's a class that needs NOTHING to level. No armor, no weapons. You just go .....

mattil
10-06-2019, 08:01 AM
https://synesso.github.io/toonbrew/

This is the randomizer NTTR uses for rolling characters.

Vexenu
10-06-2019, 08:30 AM
Yeah, monk is probably the most surprising result here. That's a class that needs NOTHING to level. No armor, no weapons. You just go .....

A naked Monk is better than any other naked melee, but still pales in comparison to a naked caster. Good Monk gear is so cheap on Blue that it completely changes the class at lower levels. A 50pp Wu's staff alone can probably triple your leveling speed compared to bare fists (which literally don't even get in the ballpark of Kunark ratios until level 50). Then factor in no Iksar racials and human night blindness and it's no surprise most people will take a pass on Monks til Kunark. Even a modestly twinked Iksar Monk with a 50 Druid powerleveling him can solo to 50 in under a week and be good to go for Kunark and Velious.

Baler
10-06-2019, 06:03 PM
I wonder just how accurate this poll will be on green launch day.

Aaramis
10-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Not very, I wager.
I know I've already changed my class. Well, I change it at least once a day, but I'm 90% sure I won't be going with what I initially voted - which was Warrior.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

slowpoke68
10-06-2019, 07:24 PM

I would expect fewer Rangers Paladins Wizards and more Magicians Necros and Monks.

Cen
10-06-2019, 07:48 PM
I would expect fewer Rangers Paladins Wizards and more Magicians Necros and Monks.

Not me. People don't like monks and necros knowing how superior Iksar is, and Paladins and Rangers are going to be popular for guise runners.

Deathrydar
10-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Getting hype! 34 more people voted on this poll just this past Saturday and Sunday. The population is coming back home!

PS: And six of those 34 people voted Magician.

Deathrydar
10-07-2019, 06:53 AM
Yay! 13 more votes in a 10 hour period. Probably due to people logging on for the event last night.

Jimjam
10-07-2019, 07:37 AM
I think I've narrowed it down to bard or paladin for myself.

I'm quite tempted to roll Mith Marr human for either choice and go down the Tradeskill route and whore myself out for any/all diamonds.

Mith Marr has some nice cultural plate, jewelled and pottered items. Throw in a bit of Blue diamond jewellery to fill / replace a couple of spots and you have a pretty decent set up!

Aaramis
10-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Getting hype! 34 more people voted on this poll just this past Saturday and Sunday. The population is coming back home!

PS: And six of those 34 people voted Magician.

I love the concept of Magician. Having a pet just absolutely destroy things for you is right up my alley.
But sadly, the inability to even Root makes me a sad panda and has me tempted with Necro instead :/

1 add as Mage and you're in big trouble.

Deathrydar
10-07-2019, 08:52 AM
I love the concept of Magician. Having a pet just absolutely destroy things for you is right up my alley.
But sadly, the inability to even Root makes me a sad panda and has me tempted with Necro instead :/

1 add as Mage and you're in big trouble.

Mages have issues with some things, but excels at others. All classes have an up and a downside. The earth pet roots and can handle his own while you nuke away at an add.

/shrug

Necro has issues with things too, but excels at others.

Sillyturtle
10-07-2019, 09:01 AM
I have decided I will be going Magician, so that I can fund later projects.

Namely, my Iksar monk and the shaman of my choice.

I will go Mage for early money, then buy my way to get some faster levels on the classes that I want. Shaman. Ranger. Might go Human Monk just for the whole DE Monk aspect, even if it's not Iksar.

Either way, it all starts with Magician.

Atychiphobia
10-07-2019, 03:11 PM
I have decided I will be going Magician, so that I can fund later projects.

Namely, my Iksar monk and the shaman of my choice.

I will go Mage for early money, then buy my way to get some faster levels on the classes that I want. Shaman. Ranger. Might go Human Monk just for the whole DE Monk aspect, even if it's not Iksar.

Either way, it all starts with Magician.

Maybe heard wrong but is there any pet exp penalty in classic EQ?

sciception
10-07-2019, 03:31 PM
So 29 Warriors and 27 Knight. Basically 48 percent of the tank population will be able to do their jobs. 29+27=56 so 27/56 =.48

Fammaden
10-07-2019, 04:28 PM
27 paladins, 18 sk, and a big 30 rangers, who you yourself ranked way over paladins, yet you're only counting the paladin now?

DMN
10-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Some of you folks need some glasses.

Jungleberry
10-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Wish I could change my vote from enchanter to mage.

slowpoke68
10-07-2019, 07:01 PM
To the OP. Is there anyway for you to let people change their vote? This would ensure accuracy as we draw closer to launch :)

I'm pretty sure I have changed my mind too :(

Tenlaar
10-07-2019, 07:11 PM
I'm assuming there will be more polls as the day draws closer. I'm still constantly going back and forth between shaman, SK, and mage.

BlackBellamy
10-07-2019, 07:25 PM
To the OP. Is there anyway for you to let people change their vote? This would ensure accuracy as we draw closer to launch :)

No, your vote is tied to your user id. There is an admin interface where they can see the results of every poll and the user id of how each person voted.

lordpazuzu
10-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Gonna be a Barbarian Warrior, just like I was back in the day, like I am on Blue, and like I was in EQ2.

slowpoke68
10-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Ok I figured.

Good job on starting this poll. Fun to watch.

Jimjam
10-08-2019, 01:58 AM

The people have had their say! Brexit means brexit - no neverendum!

Kanuvan
10-08-2019, 03:22 AM
its comical that people think there will be fewer monks because no iksar, when thats not even the reason at all, playing any melee even if it was iksar or not on a fresh server with no twink gear is basically saying "i dont care about how fast I level or how rich i get, i just want to experience nostalgia" because a iksar monk without gear is soloing exactly nothing and will be doing basically shadowknight pet damage like every other melee on green right out of the gate

and yet FD pulling is going to be even more in demand when every rogue/melee isent rocking fungi's plus 22% haste minimum and pulling slow and steady duo or single pulls is going to be the diffrence between you geting exp or running back to your corpse and wasting your whole day

even on blue as a human monk i was always geting tells to pull, i dont have fungi or anything and only had basic haste and did just fine, FD pulling is something that the average group is going to worship on green where the melee's gear is so trash that fighting more than 1 red mob at a time without a enchanter will probably spell death for atleast one person, "no monks because no iksar" is just the most hystarical thing ive read all day, no melee because no twink

Videri
10-08-2019, 03:38 AM
The people have had their say! Brexit means brexit - no neverendum!

New poll every week!

GhostCow
10-08-2019, 04:08 AM
I was originally planning Shaman but the roommate and his wife want to do Paladin/Cleric so it looks like I'm making my first Enchanter

Deathrydar
10-08-2019, 06:30 AM
Shadow Knight finally pulled out of the basement and moved ahead of Monk by one.

Tecmos Deception
10-08-2019, 06:39 AM
I was originally planning Shaman but the roommate and his wife want to do Paladin/Cleric so it looks like I'm making my first Enchanter

You would still be fine with shaman. You're a low-damage trio but tough as nails and with lots of roots, stuns, buffs, heals, utility. Especially if you aren't excited about charming or enchanting in general, you might want to stay with shaman.

BlackBellamy
10-08-2019, 08:44 AM
New poll every week!

We should have one more on the Monday before launch when everyone has mostly settled on their choices.

Tecmos Deception
10-08-2019, 09:57 AM
I wasn't sure I wanted to play green when I found out names weren't being opened up. So many fucking names I want that I've never seen online on blue. Reee.

But I made the mistake of reading the forums lately, and now I might end up playing after all. Unsure on enchanter, cleric, bard, rogue though, so no vote from me yet :(

Insaiyan
10-08-2019, 10:45 AM
I have yet to vote, but as a newer player with very little P99 or Classic experience (max level 20 all time on a paladin and druid) I think I'll be going Dark Elf Wizard.

Was talking with a high level DE Wizard on blue and he sold me on the usefulness of Hide. Said it was really good and underrated for those drinking / afk moments I hear occupies most of the Wizard time.

Add on the fact I got these old man hands, arthritis soreness on some days can't game like I used to. Not so many buffs where I will always need to spam them for people, but enough that I can port around the world for others and learn the world myself. I'm really hoping the nuke & chill playstyle will appeal to me and keep me in it.

Any other wizards out there, and does it sound like I've made a decent choice? My only concern is if I can't find a group and the lack of solo power with my own person skill ceiling (I hate kiting... again... old man sore hands). I'll be going in with no friends, hardly any knowledge, but with a lot of patience!

Tenlaar
10-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Any other wizards out there, and does it sound like I've made a decent choice? My only concern is if I can't find a group and the lack of solo power with my own person skill ceiling (I hate kiting... again... old man sore hands). I'll be going in with no friends, hardly any knowledge, but with a lot of patience!

It won't be the super efficient leveling of quadding but as somebody who is clearly not worried about leading the pack and getting to high level fast? You can get along just fine doing the old root and nuke method. And with issues with your hands you'll eventually be able to be productive even on really bad days if you want to by porting people for plat with just a few clicks here and there.

DE is a fine choice, hide is useful and with the return of old school darkness especially having ultravision will be immensely helpful for a newer player unfamiliar with a lot of areas.

slowpoke68
10-08-2019, 11:41 AM
I was 100 percent sure I was going to play a Warrior a month ago. Still on paper I think it would be a great choice, due to a potential tank shortage, critical hits, bonus xp etc. There is a whole lot to like there from my point of view.

My problem though is I enjoy tanking but hate pulling, and whenever I have played a tank in the past it seems like I spend all my time in groups pulling. For that reason, Paladin and SK are out as well.

In most mmos I always end up starting over a million times and really don't want to do it on Green :)

Right now, and lord knows it is subject to change, I am thinking Cleric, Wizard, or Necro.

Lojik
10-08-2019, 12:46 PM
I have yet to vote, but as a newer player with very little P99 or Classic experience (max level 20 all time on a paladin and druid) I think I'll be going Dark Elf Wizard.

Was talking with a high level DE Wizard on blue and he sold me on the usefulness of Hide. Said it was really good and underrated for those drinking / afk moments I hear occupies most of the Wizard time.

Add on the fact I got these old man hands, arthritis soreness on some days can't game like I used to. Not so many buffs where I will always need to spam them for people, but enough that I can port around the world for others and learn the world myself. I'm really hoping the nuke & chill playstyle will appeal to me and keep me in it.

Blue is too used to easy weaps, easy buffs, no downtime. You'll do fine in normal groups as DPS, just don't expect to be part of some awesome trio that grinds out xp. If most XP camps are as crowded as expected it might not really matter. Wizard is a fine choice.

Sinistria
10-08-2019, 02:00 PM
I think i am going as a DE Wizard.

Played one on live to lvl 70 and on blue to lvl 39.

Still like to play a tank ( SK, pally or warrior) but i am not that experienced in tanking.

Also like the abillity to do ports.

Maybe i swith to a tank but at start it will be a DE wizard... For the god-old-times-feeling.

And i am sad we can't use other names. It would be awsome to choose my old EQ1 name.

Deathrydar
10-08-2019, 02:57 PM
This is crazy! Wizard just passed Ranger and Warrior for 7th place and is only one behind magician. Green is gonna rock!

Only 2 votes separate Druid and Enchanter for 1st place!!

Sillyturtle
10-08-2019, 07:38 PM
I’m glad so many druids are rolling. Make sure it all the easier for me to buy power levels with the money I make from my Magician for my other more interesting characters

Muggens
10-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Initially voted Wizard but not so sure anymore...(wanna play a Wiz on Pantheon)

I've made a nice A4 sized page with 6 classes I'm interested for Green, complete with brackets for PROs and CONs and with my own drawings of the class icons. Im doing it really old skool to get the feels =)

I've narrowed it down to Necro, Mage, Druid or Monk. The Rogue and Wizard are still my favorite classes but since I already are playing them here I figure I should main something different on Green. Then theres the temptation of re-rolling into the race I should've made in the first place :p

Theres "much" to consider, decisions decisions... !

Gustoo
10-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Theory questing is rank just higher than forum questing for top 2 ways to play EverQuest. Third being the actual game.

I love some theory quest.

Gustoo
10-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Monk is so low here because no one wants to be such a significantly weaker monk race. Iksar hurts the human monk so bad. There's gonna be like 150 new.monks when kunark drops.

Muggens
10-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Theory questing is rank just higher than forum questing for top 2 ways to play EverQuest. Third being the actual game.

I love some theory quest.

Haha so true!
I know when Im tired and dont wanna think about anything of "merit/value/importance" IE stuff I gotta do etc, my mind likes to go to NORRATH. If Im hanging around old skool buddies and I DONT wanna talk bout anything of worth, like life, religion or health, Ill talk to death about EVERQUEST!

Keebz
10-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Deciding what class you want to play is like 90% of the game. My /played for green is already over 100 hours. As it stands, I risk burning out before it even launches.

GhostCow
10-08-2019, 09:04 PM
You would still be fine with shaman. You're a low-damage trio but tough as nails and with lots of roots, stuns, buffs, heals, utility. Especially if you aren't excited about charming or enchanting in general, you might want to stay with shaman.

Shaman would still be great, but she's a high elf and he's a dwarf so it just seems easier to be an enchanter to start close to each other

Kanuvan
10-08-2019, 10:20 PM
Monk is so low here because no one wants to be such a significantly weaker monk race. Iksar hurts the human monk so bad. There's gonna be like 150 new.monks when kunark drops.

doesnt matter, all pure melee will be low on launch, iksar with no gear is trash none the less, and iksar are not good untill 51+ when the regen starts to scale anyways, from 1-50 you basically are a slow leveling and hated everywhere race with lots of inconvenience for little gains

Deathrydar
10-09-2019, 06:49 AM
Deciding what class you want to play is like 90% of the game. My /played for green is already over 100 hours. As it stands, I risk burning out before it even launches.

I am here as well. I am actually trying NOT to play before green so I do not get burned out.

Steelthorn
10-09-2019, 07:08 AM
doesnt matter, all pure melee will be low on launch, iksar with no gear is trash none the less, and iksar are not good untill 51+ when the regen starts to scale anyways, from 1-50 you basically are a slow leveling and hated everywhere race with lots of inconvenience for little gains

But that's half the fun! Honestly going to enjoy my iksar monk once Kunark launches. I loved factioning my Iksar back on live, but by the time I started it, it was pointless since PoK was available.

Until then.... well Cleric or Paladin probably. Need to get my healer and tank on.

Gustoo
10-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Still.

Monk is an awesome class in vanilla. It was the pure version with basically zero weapons and hardly any gear.

Then they made a race with regen and racial ac bonus able to be the class. Derp.

Verityn
10-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Enchanter in the lead. This really is going to be a very different experience than the original launch.

Vivix
10-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Enchanter in the lead. This really is going to be a very different experience than the original launch.

I'd be okay with charmed mobs having an increased chance to break and smash the enchanters face. Back then charm was rarely used like it is now.

DMN
10-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Bard isn't far behind, either.

2 least played classes during early vanilla.

And hybrids will probably be rare, instead of incredibly common like back then.

yep. gonna be a lot different feel.

Wish I wasn't burnt out on necros.

Natewest1987
10-11-2019, 12:52 AM
Trying to figure out what all the enchanter fuss is about. Are we all planning on grouping ? I’ve never been too keen on taking an enchanter anywhere without heals and snare. Maybe I’m doing that wrong? Am I ?

Deathrydar
10-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Trying to figure out what all the enchanter fuss is about. Are we all planning on grouping ? I’ve never been too keen on taking an enchanter anywhere without heals and snare. Maybe I’m doing that wrong? Am I ?

You must be. There is a high skill ceiling, but an enchanter can be a monster in classic.

Thrombosis
10-11-2019, 07:23 AM

I wanna play an enchanter and am planning on grouping a lot. For me the most powerful enchanter spell was always mez, not charm and the coolest spells are the different race illusions. Besides, I suck, my lowbie chanter's XP bar goes backwards if I try charming on blue.

Deathrydar
10-11-2019, 11:40 AM
So, 550 players have voted and we have two weeks exactly to go till Green's launch. Since there is no way to sort the polls to see how the classes are lined up, please see below:

1. Enchanter 72
2. Druid 69
3. Shaman 55
4. Cleric 49
5. Bard 42
6. Magician 36
7. Ranger 35
8. Wizard 34
9. Necromancer 31
10. Warrior 31
11. Paladin 29
12. Monk 24
13. Rogue 23
14. Shadow Knight 20

bum3
10-11-2019, 12:02 PM
^ thank you.

ldgo86
10-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Druid 69 nice

DMN
10-11-2019, 12:47 PM
compared to actual 1999 launch I'd say.

Way too many enchanters, bards, and shaman.
A bit too many clerics and warriors.
Not enough paladins, SKs, and rangers.

Everything else looks about right.

Gustoo
10-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Hybrids were really popular in 1999. A melee that can use spells..yes please.

Verityn
10-11-2019, 01:40 PM
An enchanter, shaman and cleric in every group with druids porting us wherever our hearts' desire.

bum3
10-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Hybrids were really popular in 1999. A melee that can use spells..yes please.

Yeah. They were pretty dang powerful compared to others.

Sinistria
10-13-2019, 02:47 PM
compared to actual 1999 launch I'd say.

Way too many enchanters, bards, and shaman.
A bit too many clerics and warriors.
Not enough paladins, SKs, and rangers.

Everything else looks about right.

I started on P99 last year i made a Wizard because i was one on live.
While leveling up i noticed that there were many times a lack of tanks.
This makes me thinking of playing a Dwarf Pally instead a DE Wizard again (i realy like playing a Wizard)

I am not sure if i can play a tank properly.
Since i was always a Wizard i noticed a big differents in the skills of a tank with pulling and keeping aggro.

But for getting groups it could be better?

Deathrydar
10-13-2019, 02:54 PM
I started on P99 last year i made a Wizard because i was one on live.
While leveling up i noticed that there were many times a lack of tanks.
This makes me thinking of playing a Dwarf Pally instead a DE Wizard again (i realy like playing a Wizard)

I am not sure if i can play a tank properly.
Since i was always a Wizard i noticed a big differents in the skills of a tank with pulling and keeping aggro.

But for getting groups it could be better?

I think so! Look at the votes up there! There are not enough tanks....period! I said it before, I will say it again: At green's launch is the time to play the class that you were afraid to play before!

Izmael
10-13-2019, 02:57 PM
I think it's great that so many people are not min-maxing and main a hybrid or a wizard or something like that.

Chortles Snort|eS
10-13-2019, 03:00 PM
me thiNK decide diFF buT heART knO

dekova
10-13-2019, 03:22 PM
For what it's worth, I did a quick class check on green beta last night. Of about 210 people online, we has 173 mages.

Cen
10-13-2019, 05:25 PM
At Sunday, 5:24 PM, 170 players logged in total. Class counters are currently as follows:

Bard 14
Cleric 10
Druid 19
Enchanter 16
Magician 19
Monk 9
Necromancer 21
Paladin 8
Ranger 3
Rogue 7
Shadow Knight 8
Shaman 16
Warrior 15
Wizard 6

Deathrydar
10-13-2019, 05:38 PM
At Sunday, 5:24 PM, 170 players logged in total. Class counters are currently as follows:

Bard 14
Cleric 10
Druid 19
Enchanter 16
Magician 19
Monk 9
Necromancer 21
Paladin 8
Ranger 3
Rogue 7
Shadow Knight 8
Shaman 16
Warrior 15
Wizard 6

Groups should be formed ahead of time on these forums so all classes can be tested within a group environment.

W1Z4RD
10-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Pretty excited to roll on Green! The class breakdown isn't what I would have expected. Thought there would be way less Wizards.

Deathrydar
10-14-2019, 06:47 AM
Wow! Enchanter and Druid are now tied for top...

GhostCow
10-14-2019, 03:19 PM
No one wants to play tanks because Warriors are crap without twinking and the hybrids have that stupid xp penalty

Kendir
10-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Going with a Troll SK this time, so I can actually carry my armor around and have some sweet fd regen.

randal.flagg
10-15-2019, 10:33 AM
Pretty good mix after this has been up for a while!

Palemoon
10-15-2019, 11:34 AM
I wonder if night blindness will influence race and class choice now that its out? I predict a whole lot more monks are going to wait for Iksar.

edit: also what a shame they never transferred/fixed the xp bonus from halfing to humans. Humans sorely needed it, not the race (Halfling) was solid stats and tons of racial abilities.

Fammaden
10-15-2019, 11:38 AM
I wonder if night blindness will influence race and class choice now that its out? I predict a whole lot more monks are going to wait for Iksar.

edit: also what a shame they never transferred/fixed the xp bonus from halfing to humans. Humans sorely needed it, not the race (Halfling) was solid stats and tons of racial abilities.

Well it was never "fixed" during era right? If so no reason to expect that it would be changed, there's no good reason for hybrid xp penalty either but here we are.

Deathrydar
10-15-2019, 01:35 PM
Since this morning, 14 more people have voted and 6 of them chose Enchanter, putting it far in the lead ahead of Druid.

Seungkyu
10-15-2019, 01:55 PM
I've decided to change my mind to playing a rogue from warrior.
+1 Rogue / -1 Warrior

Deathrydar
10-15-2019, 02:18 PM
I've decided to change my mind to playing a rogue from warrior.
+1 Rogue / -1 Warrior

Aww no. We ain't gonna start this crap where I have to keep a count off to the side of a number of people that changed their minds. Make a new thread! :p:p:p

Nagoya
10-15-2019, 07:51 PM
As of 2019-10-05;

The Tier 2: Cleric, Shaman, Bard
The Middle Boyz: Warrior, Wizard, Necromancer, Magician, Ranger
The No Thanks Boyz: Paladin, Rogue, Monk, Shadow Knight

415 votes is starting to be quite a significant sample, even though poll answers maybe won't correlate to what the person will actually start.

No surprise on the top tier in my opinion. I am surprised Cleric and Bards are so high, but many people had selected bards before the AoE nerf I believe. My only other surprises so far is how high the warrior is, and how low the monk is. But we will see.

I think I have finally set up my mind on a Wizard for my main on Green.
Still hesitating between High Elf, Gnome and Human for the Race.
This is so difficult. We are so pathetic ♡

Here is the situation as of 2019-10-15, 10 days before launch.
Now at 637 votes.

The Tier 2: Shaman, Cleric, Bard
The Middle Boyz: Magician, Wizard, Necromancer, , Ranger, Warrior, Paladin
The No Thanks Boyz: Rogue, Monk, Shadow Knight

which means almost no change. Only Paladin to raise to Middle Boyz status.
Shaman & Magician going up. Bards slowing down, hinting at maybe the AoE change was indeed a break to its popularity.

All in all, still pretty standard to what we should expect.
Tons of Enchanters and Druids trying to "solo" their way to the top.
Other WIS casters (Sham/Cler) playing the slow naked game, and Bard fucking around naked as well.

Everyone else is basically a warrior and will hurt through classic 24/7 for the glory of everyone else.
Special mention to the remaining three INT casters, Medium-Easy on the scale.

But Rangers, Paladins, Shadow Knights, Rogues, Warriors and Monks will be very rare and very brave. It will be a tough world for them.

ldgo86
10-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Aww no. We ain't gonna start this crap where I have to keep a count off to the side of a number of people that changed their minds. Make a new thread! :p:p:p

With all the changes and possibly changes since this thread started, not a bad idea to start another one.

I’m sure a lot of people have changed their mind. I definitely have!

Seungkyu
10-15-2019, 08:25 PM
I think a good time for a new poll is 1 week before launch, after everyone's gotten their new names from blue.

Tecmos Deception
10-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Here is the situation as of 2019-10-15, 10 days before launch.
Now at 637 votes.

The Tier 2: Shaman, Cleric, Bard
The Middle Boyz: Magician, Wizard, Necromancer, , Ranger, Warrior, Paladin
The No Thanks Boyz: Rogue, Monk, Shadow Knight

which means almost no change. Only Paladin to raise to Middle Boyz status.
Shaman & Magician going up. Bards slowing down, hinting at maybe the AoE change was indeed a break to its popularity.

All in all, still pretty standard to what we should expect.
Tons of Enchanters and Druids trying to "solo" their way to the top.
Other WIS casters (Sham/Cler) playing the slow naked game, and Bard fucking around naked as well.

Everyone else is basically a warrior and will hurt through classic 24/7 for the glory of everyone else.
Special mention to the remaining three INT casters, Medium-Easy on the scale.

But Rangers, Paladins, Shadow Knights, Rogues, Warriors and Monks will be very rare and very brave. It will be a tough world for them.

I'm kinda surprised by how few necros there are. I guess too many people think iksar makes or breaks the class. The number of necros on blue has always been like double what this poll is reflecting.

I'm guessing SK is low because the "good" races to be a SK have extra exp penalties on top of the class penalty besides and folks have gotten used to it not being that bad on blue?

Like 50+% of the votes are for support-ish classes. I know of course that chanters can do a lot of damage and that druids and shamans aren't just heal and buff bots, etc, but with low melee damage in vanilla (especially early on) and so many folks playing the lower-damage casters, it'll be interesting to see if the grind is in big (and often not especially efficient) groups of 5-6 ends up being more painful than people are expecting.

edit - I don't think you can call int casters "Medium-Easy" in classic. They're just downright "easy" in terms of power vs. the content. Gear is a bonus, pets are relatively strong compared to mobs, basically nothing summons or is extra resistant or is immune to fear/root/snare/mez/stun, etc.

Evia
10-15-2019, 08:33 PM
With all the changes and possibly changes since this thread started, not a bad idea to start another one.

I’m sure a lot of people have changed their mind. I definitely have!

flacidpenguin
10-15-2019, 08:35 PM
I am going to play a shadow knight for my second class, I just want to be able to afford a magic weapon and banded for her first. My first class was going to be a shaman but I am thinking necromancer now, because of the night vision business for Barbarians.

I think a cleric, necro, and sk will be my characters.

Kanadan
10-16-2019, 02:15 AM
DE SK will be main, and an alt mage or chanter for when I dont have time to group..

Sinistria
10-16-2019, 04:42 AM

No, everybody will have enough from that vegan caster folks and they will shiver in lust when they see a real tank coming its way and offering his services.

People will get mad when they finally get a real BBQ serverd by someone with a sword and hands of asbestos serving their meet on a fire of coal and not cooked on gas. :D

Cezar
10-16-2019, 05:41 AM
This survey is likely to account for up to 25% of the population at launch. One can think that it is a sample indicative of what will happen to the real presences in the game but I believe that it is completely distorted. I say this because the sample analyzed is the one that reads the forum, so the most informed and the one that closely follows the evolution of the game and all its changes. Think of the influence that the reduction of the bard kiting has given or the change for the darkness of the night. Changes that the people following the forum make based on very passenger events - the darkness resists up to 10/12 when they start selling lightstone.
However 75% (more with 4k players) does not take these things into account and will come to play with memories, maybe a few years ago of the blue server, or the old live, so it will play the character it believes closer to his fun.
This is evidenced by the fact that there should have been more enchanters than ever, when in reality they have always been missed.

slowpoke68
10-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Hey OP. Are you considering starting a new poll sometime closer to launch to see if we get different numbers now that people know a bit more about bard/chanter changes, night blindness and other factors?

Just curious.

Vexenu
10-16-2019, 09:59 PM
Probably worth doing a new class poll thread a week or so before server launch.

dekova
10-16-2019, 10:17 PM
Probably worth doing a new class poll thread a week or so before server launch.

Considering all the tweaks that have been announced to class abilities, absolutely.

Vizax_Xaziv
10-16-2019, 11:44 PM
Yup! NEW POLL FRIDAY AFTERNOON PLS! (essentially one week prelaunch)

Bravak
10-17-2019, 06:53 AM
Sure thing, I'll make a new poll on Friday so we can compare the changes. Good idea!

Sinistria
10-17-2019, 07:15 AM
Then everybody choose a tank, due the lack of them now.

Then everybody thinks: "omg nooo, only tanks and at server start"
and they go back to their previous class.

and then the confusion is complete.