PDA

View Full Version : /OOC Trolling

Outbound
02-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Can we please do something about the crap people spout in /ooc? Politics, Religion, Legalization of pot,... if its not one damn thing, it's another. The higher the population grows, the worse the spam. Most of these people dont have a clue what they're talking about, are screaming idealogical talking points, or simply trolling for attention.
Can we use /ooc for game related /ooc discussion, like LFG, content, zone/mob discussion? You can't use it for any of these things when these clowns go off because it either spams away as fast as you post, or the people that are actually playing the game have long abandoned /ooc.
This isnt going to attract people to the server, it's only going to chase them away. I know some of you will say things like, turn it off, thats what /ooc is for... and I don't want to limit /ooc to puerly game talk, but when you cant have game discussions because of all the politics it's a bit much. Send these people to a chat room somewhere and leave /ooc for the game.

I'm sure this will bring on a flame fest, but I would rather see it in here than /ooc. Flame on children

/rant off

Goobles
02-20-2010, 10:09 PM
/filter ooc

/rant off

Zithax
02-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I wish channels were enabled... /join general would be the best.

Murphy
02-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Personally i'd prefer ooc be linked by type of zone if that wasn't too complicated -- maybe make it citywide -- so if you were in any city you could see OOC from other cities, making LFG a little easier, but outside of that limit it to zone only..whatever.

Rifter
02-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Personally i'd prefer ooc be linked by type of zone if that wasn't too complicated -- maybe make it citywide -- so if you were in any city you could see OOC from other cities, making LFG a little easier, but outside of that limit it to zone only..whatever.

You want to make this game more like WoW don't you you filthy bastard.

Outbound
02-20-2010, 11:05 PM
/filter ooc

/rant off

Ths is the type of response I expected. Why should I, who wants to play the game, have to filter out the /ooc that is intended for use in looking for a group? I should have to find another way to play the game so others may talk Politics on a game server?

Finawin
02-20-2010, 11:06 PM
OOC is intended for LFG when you can /lfg on?

Wow. Your logic is flawless.

Outbound
02-20-2010, 11:28 PM
OOC is intended for LFG when you can /lfg on?

Wow. Your logic is flawless.

I'll say it again... Why should I play the game differenty than the "Normal" way so that you guys can talk politics on a game server? I could sit for hours waiting for a group with a LFG tag on and if I bitched that I didnt find a group all day you would flame me for not doing more.

Let see, I want to use the /ooc as it was intended and that is getting in the way of you wanting to use it like an AOL chat room.... whos logic is flawed here?

Finawin
02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
You're not entitled to anything.

I get groups just fine. I create groups just fine.

You're crying for no reason. It's a chat channel, where people *GASP* chat.

Outbound
02-21-2010, 12:03 AM
You're not entitled to anything.

I get groups just fine. I create groups just fine.

You're crying for no reason. It's a chat channel, where people *GASP* chat.

Once again Finawin, I never said I was intitled to anything out of the "normal" use of /ooc. I stated above that I'm not opposed to chat. It's the Flaming and Trolling, that these discussions attract, that I'm opposed to. Are you intitled to flaming and trolling while we are not intitled to the use of /ooc for game related content?

Malrubius
02-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Seriously, try turning OOC off. I tried this a week ago or so and was amazed at how much different the game felt. Its going to stay off too.

It feels a LOT more like 1999 this way. Hundreds people in OOC chatter feels anything but classic.

Tristin
02-21-2010, 01:09 AM
2 things

Turn /ooc off and turn LFG on.

The next thread I see bitching about /OOC, Karsten and I are going to the zoo and punching a panda in the balls.

Gandite
02-21-2010, 02:01 AM
I have 3 UI windows. One of them is the main window, one of them is where combat related shit goes, and one of them is just a tiny square in a corner. That tiny square is where all the shit I don't care about/need to see go. Try something like this and move ooc to the spam block. You can join ooc if you need to, and you can still lfg in ooc and you'll get tells.

anthony210
02-21-2010, 04:19 AM
It is getting out of hand. During peak hours the ooc chat just scrolls by so fast its hard to read things or see items people are selling or be lfg.

I know turn LFG on, but putting your LFG in ooc helps as well. I shouldnt be forced to turn off ooc and miss things I want to read because Joe Blow feels like starting an argument about Barack Obama.

IMO. We got a good enough population, limit ooc to zonewide and leave auction serverwide.

drplump
02-21-2010, 09:01 AM
You dont thing marijuana should be legalized? Not even for medical purposes? DICK!

MDTufts
02-21-2010, 11:04 AM
It is a very sad representaion of the player base. As are a majority of the posts on the forums but, nothing that is done is going to stop it. If you make ooc zone wide and leave auction server, theyll just move on to the auction channel. If you link the cities ala warcraft, theyll all hang about in the cities chatting. Even if you were to forgo those options and made everything zone specific as soon as you get out of the starter areas and into cities or good leveling areas they will be there wating, spamming either ooc or shout. The gm's dont have access to the stupidity code.
Alot of this is caused by boredom I would think. What else are people suppose to do while sitting around for a camp or regen. The /gems game doesnt even seem to work right. I generally tab out and read but after dying a few times to that method I may just start trolling people to kill time as well.

Danth
02-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Global /ooc isn't even a 'classic' EQ feature, but rather a convenience added by the P1999 staff as compensation for relatively low population levels. Suggesting that people who dislike it ought to simply hide it for the time being in no way strikes me as unreasonable. I do that myself with increasing frequency. It's a pragmatic solution until such a time as the mods decide that global OOC has outlived its usefulness.

/gems doesn't work right due to reverting to old spell icons on this client.

On the other hand, some of the discussions amuse me. I have to laugh when I see singles discussing marriage, or teenagers talking about politics, or healthy young adults discussing health care, or people in general discussing things they have no experience with. Impressively warped perspectives result from the demographics here!

Danth

Finawin
02-21-2010, 03:01 PM
My personal favorite are conspiracy theorists who are incapable of simple spelling.

Not intelligent enough to be able to spell properly, yet thinking themselves intelligent enough to delve into conspiracies that intelligence agencies and foreign powers haven't debunked themselves. Classic.

karsten
02-21-2010, 04:03 PM
hey pal some people are street smart not book smart WUT

Yoite
02-22-2010, 05:01 PM
LEGALIZE IT!!!

Yoite
02-22-2010, 05:02 PM
DON'T CRITICIZE IT..YEA

Yoite
02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
LEAGALIZE IT AND I WILL ADVERTISE IT!