PDA

View Full Version : 20 y.o. elf sim

indiscriminate_hater
03-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Now when I’m trying to make fun of someone for getting upset over EQ I have to exaggerate by calling it a 25-yo elf sim. Truly a momentous day.

Jimjam
03-16-2019, 01:32 PM
At this point, I kinda think rather than a reflection of how sad the neck beards still playing are, it is more a testament to how the game has withstood the test of time!

Champion_Standing
03-16-2019, 01:48 PM
At this point, I kinda think rather than a reflection of how sad the neck beards still playing are, it is more a testament to how the game has withstood the test of time!

It's a testament to how awful the genre is tbh. 20 years and 2-3 decent games at best.

kjs86z
03-16-2019, 02:06 PM
It's a testament to how awful the genre is tbh. 20 years and 2-3 decent games at best.

eq
asherons call
wow

?

Deso
03-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Eq
Daoc
Daoc

Champion_Standing
03-16-2019, 02:18 PM
EQ, Daoc, Wildstar

DMN
03-16-2019, 02:26 PM
AO and rift were both pretty good too.

Cecily
03-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Now was EQ really good or just addictive and we were just jonesing for the dopamine rush we used to get as teenagers? I think there’s a strong connection between what makes this game and gambling “fun”. Maybe it’s the sense of community instead, which also happens to be a strong marketing tactic in gambling.

Nommis
03-16-2019, 02:47 PM
"C'mon mom, just one more ph!"

Rygar
03-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Now was EQ really good or just addictive and we were just jonesing for the dopamine rush we used to get as teenagers? I think there’s a strong connection between what makes this game and gambling “fun”. Maybe it’s the sense of community instead, which also happens to be a strong marketing tactic in gambling.

I believe it is a good game having played on original launch. Was revolutionary, and the more i classicquest the more I appreciate the minor details and polish they put into the product.

Of course they could have done some things better (stats / resists more relevant, curb some cheesy tactics like FD splitting, etc).

By and large the lore and intrigue was addicting to me (discovering new things) , as was experiencing everything with your friends all at once. Best I had before that was DOOM II for a LAN party every month.

Bardp1999
03-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Ultima Online was great
EQ is great
DAoC is great
WoW was great

Pretty much hated every other MMO I have played besides those 4

indiscriminate_hater
03-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Ultima Online is the best game I've ever played. The level of treachery on that game is legendary

indiscriminate_hater
03-16-2019, 04:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/VsbBgHY.png

Mead
03-16-2019, 04:59 PM
wildstar lol

aaezil
03-17-2019, 01:51 PM
WoW was an everquest wannabe game I would never even install it

Izmael
03-17-2019, 03:02 PM
In before Brad, drugs and Pantheon.

I Felt Nostalgic
03-17-2019, 03:25 PM
https://i.imgur.com/VsbBgHY.png

It's just like real life!

Viscere
03-17-2019, 03:58 PM
best game of the whole universe : Everquest !

Foxplay
03-17-2019, 06:57 PM

This so much.... the long game is so hard for a MMO...

Heck even EQ (at least to me and my opinion) failed the long game on their live servers... the game got too convoluted, repeated story points, recycled content, and went away from its original vision too far, etc

Ive played tons of MMO's and the majority of them are terrible, while some are great...but only for a short while before the dev teams start screwing things up (or possibly the publisher or community themselves I cant always place all the blame on just the dev's)

It really hurts too to like a MMO and have it be very promising for a few months to a year just to quickly shrivel up and die after that. And now with so many games trying to recreate the "Live service" model you have the genre getting worse and worse. I hope pantheon hits some magic and doesn't shoot themselves in the foot a year or two down the road...

unfortunately the future of fantasy MMO's looks pretty bleak atm

Tethler
03-18-2019, 12:52 AM
Wildstar

Lol, I mean, it was a game.

Patriam1066
03-18-2019, 01:19 PM
Eve pvp was fun before the Russians discovered the internet

Clazxiss
03-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Remove the fact this is an online game. I do not understand why people are trying to shame others for playing a game this old.

Right now you can go on streaming websites and watch people play classic video/computer games such as Pacman, Tetris, Donkey Kong, Solitaire, or Minesweeper. All five of those games are the definition of repetition. The levels are all the same, with just a slight variation that players can plan ahead for. And yet, these games are still as popular as ever in their classic formats.

Why stop at video games!? To this day people are still playing card games, which have been around since the Medieval Times!

People enjoy the game. End it there.

Heebs13
03-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Remove the fact this is an online game. I do not understand why people are trying to shame others for playing a game this old.

Right now you can go on streaming websites and watch people play classic video/computer games such as Pacman, Tetris, Donkey Kong, Solitaire, or Minesweeper. All five of those games are the definition of repetition. The levels are all the same, with just a slight variation that players can plan ahead for. And yet, these games are still as popular as ever in their classic formats.

Why stop at video games!? To this day people are still playing card games, which have been around since the Medieval Times!

People enjoy the game. End it there.

I've still got my SNES hooked up and I'll pop in Yoshi's Island or Super Metroid from time to time.

matticas
03-18-2019, 03:06 PM

I've also never understood the reasoning behind shaming people for playing an old game. I can get a lot of the RNF arguments about spending too much time on the game or staring at wall or the repetition or whatever, but the fact that it's 20 years old...don't see why that's a bad thing.

bigjeff100
03-18-2019, 03:12 PM
I've also never understood the reasoning behind shaming people for playing an old game. I can get a lot of the RNF arguments about spending too much time on the game or staring at wall or the repetition or whatever, but the fact that it's 20 years old...don't see why that's a bad thing.

Haha don't try to understand those folks... We all know those people are the minority, a real unhealthy minority.

Moerne
03-18-2019, 04:23 PM
So many games that start out well and then kinda jump the shark way too early in their run. EQ managed to stay reasonably playable far longer than most.

Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes are two that come to mind for me.

Foxplay
03-18-2019, 04:49 PM
What content could pantheon possibly release when you have kids playing games this much.

Simply put, the theme park ride MMO doesn't work unless you have a very large development team that can routinely crank out good quality content, simply put this is because players will chew thru their content far faster than they expect as well as can keep up with (Also...a large development team is of course...expensive) - In order for Pantheon to succeed it will need to work on and improve the sandbox model that Everquest had or possibly an even better Sandbox experiance than Everquest, just give players a world they want to interact with that provides them a meaningful experiance with a multitude of things to do, rather than funneling them into a few select theme park "rides = raids"

Also I'm not saying theme park style MMO raids cant be fun... I certainly had fun in a few of them, RIFT - Hammerknell raid was quite a lot of fun for me. But from a player perspective it seems like a unwinnable battle for the dev's to continually keep up with their player base, while also releasing good quality content that the players will like... Make the game too grindy or over-tuned raid encounters in order to try and time-gate the players artificially and the vast majority % of players feel left out and are unhappy with the game. Don't make it grindy or raid encounters hard enough and the players quickly reach the current "finish line" and want more content... if they don't get more content fast enough they start leaving the game

Caldwin
03-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Simply put, the theme park ride MMO doesn't work unless you have a very large development team that can routinely crank out good quality content, simply put this is because players will chew thru their content far faster than they expect as well as can keep up with (Also...a large development team is of course...expensive) - In order for Pantheon to succeed it will need to work on and improve the sandbox model that Everquest had or possibly an even better Sandbox experiance than Everquest, just give players a world they want to interact with that provides them a meaningful experiance with a multitude of things to do, rather than funneling them into a few select theme park "rides = raids"

Also I'm not saying theme park style MMO raids cant be fun... I certainly had fun in a few of them, RIFT - Hammerknell raid was quite a lot of fun for me. But from a player perspective it seems like a unwinnable battle for the dev's to continually keep up with their player base, while also releasing good quality content that the players will like... Make the game too grindy or over-tuned raid encounters in order to try and time-gate the players artificially and the vast majority % of players feel left out and are unhappy with the game. Don't make it grindy or raid encounters hard enough and the players quickly reach the current "finish line" and want more content... if they don't get more content fast enough they start leaving the game

Maybe have some randomness to the game. And also, make it so new content doesn't obsolete older content. Maybe level restrictions. Maybe have a decay on items based on the intended or mob level vs player level, or at least a degradation of stats based of the difference that will improve as the player increases levels and/or skills.

The main issues I see with Everquest, which is amplified on P99, is twinkage that allow players to take on content that was not intended, plus the knowledge of exactly what to expect from a mob or camp. Some randomness might help in that regard.

Caldwin
03-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Why can't I edit the post I just made? I wanted to correct a typo, but no edit button.

bigjeff100
03-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Why can't I edit the post I just made? I wanted to correct a typo, but no edit button.

Cause you're in RnF!

Bknd
05-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Now was EQ really good or just addictive and we were just jonesing for the dopamine rush we used to get as teenagers? I think there’s a strong connection between what makes this game and gambling memes (http://gambling4fun.com/gambling-memes/). Maybe it’s the sense of community instead, which also happens to be a strong marketing tactic in gambling.

Do not agree! Gambling may be just game!

Cecily
05-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Do not agree! Gambling may be just game!

Mods please ban this 0-post, shady website promoting shill. Also, don't put the word memes into something I said, you piece of shit.

Originally Posted by Cecily https://www.project1999.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2878081#post2878081)

d3r14k
05-03-2019, 10:08 PM
Mods please ban this 0-post, shady website promoting shill. Also, don't put the word memes into something I said, you piece of shit.

*snickers mischeviously*

Cecily
05-03-2019, 10:15 PM
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

indiscriminate_hater
05-03-2019, 10:29 PM
100 page post here I come