PDA

View Full Version : Why are windows 16 hours long?

Heebs13
03-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Serious replies only.

maskedmelon
03-07-2019, 06:45 PM
because this way only a handful of people sit there the whole time. if it were 4hours, the whole server would neglect their families and pack raid zones for the window.

Erati
03-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Just be thankful these windows no longer extend like they used to.

aaezil
03-07-2019, 06:55 PM
because this way only a handful of people sit there the whole time. if it were 4hours, the whole server would neglect their families and pack raid zones for the window.

Its hundreds though

Wonkie
03-07-2019, 07:26 PM
it's intended to deter players from socking

Vianna
03-07-2019, 07:28 PM
It's shorter in some cases that variance was is classic. Stop complaining.

aaezil
03-07-2019, 07:29 PM
it's intended to deter players from socking

Lol didnt work it just keeps the casuals/semi casuals out

Heebs13
03-07-2019, 07:34 PM
It's shorter in some cases that variance was is classic. Stop complaining.

Tell me more.

Oleris
03-07-2019, 07:41 PM
let's make all windows 2 days +/-4 and can skip up to 4x

jk

Wonkie
03-07-2019, 07:42 PM
Tell me more.

spawnlength variance would more correctly emulate player knowledge at the time

classic

DinoTriz2
03-07-2019, 07:42 PM
I have windows 10

smellis
03-07-2019, 07:58 PM
i'm so glad this question still gets asked. how long ago were they implemented exactly?
wtb p99 history book

Erati
03-07-2019, 08:49 PM
i'm so glad this question still gets asked. how long ago were they implemented exactly?
wtb p99 history book

So it's been a long time but, I actually do believe the 16 hour variance was a significant decrease brought about when the Class System here was implemented. The previous variance I do believe was 72 hours or 3 days on the 7 day spawns. The initial variance was put in during Classic as people poopsocked Nagafen and Vox spawn points so the hope was maybe with variance, it would move people away from the spawn point and they would have to somewhat assemble when it spawned. With variance being so massive almost all guilds ignored the 7 day raid mobs. I remember being rather pleased upon hearing that dragons would be certain to spawn within a single 24 hour period when the shortening of the variance happened. The variance was shortened only because the players had promised they wouldn't poopsock the raid targets :o

Heebs13
03-07-2019, 09:06 PM
The variance was shortened only because the players had promised they wouldn't poopsock the raid targets :o

Wew lad, about that....

Wonkie
03-07-2019, 09:47 PM
The variance was shortened only because the players had promised they wouldn't poopsock the raid targets :o

:D:D:D

Detoxx
03-07-2019, 09:51 PM
it was 96 hours before, so this is much better. Also, on live Variance was +/- 10% so a 7 day spawn was +/- 8.4 hours. It actually less here than on live.

Rygar
03-07-2019, 10:45 PM
Detoxx did some heavy investigation into this subject, it was probably the most beautifully constructed bug report OP I've ever seen, and the gold standard for classic research:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242181&highlight=what+was+classic+variance

Detoxx
03-07-2019, 10:48 PM
I do what I can for the greater good.

Erati
03-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Detoxx did some heavy investigation into this subject, it was probably the most beautifully constructed bug report OP I've ever seen, and the gold standard for classic research:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242181&highlight=what+was+classic+variance

Well he certainly crafted a fine OP I will give him that :)

Wonkie
03-07-2019, 11:31 PM
variance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm51ihfi1p4)

Heebs13
03-07-2019, 11:35 PM
Look at this, I came to troll around and I'm actually getting quality info. Is this really RnF?

kotton05
03-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Just be thankful these windows no longer extend like they used to.

These noobs have no clue

Siberious
03-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Put mobs in window 1h after they die. Save lives #endthepoopsocks2019

Chapelle
03-08-2019, 09:31 AM
Try 24 hours for magi

Heebs13
03-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Put mobs in window 1h after they die. Save lives #endthepoopsocks2019

Hey man if it was up to me, mob windows would be 10 minutes long and set in such a way that they didn't always center around the same time zone spawn after spawn. Instead of 72h +-8h, for example, they'd be 66h +- 5m.

Imagine if instead of showing up, buffing up, parking and/or socking for 16 hours before you get to race for the mob, everyone shows up, buffs up, and gets ready to race immediately. Sounds like a lot more fun to me.

As it is I'm not sure what the windows accomplish, 4h, 16h, or 72h. :confused:

Vianna
03-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Tell me more.

Some windows in classic velious was longer than 16 hours. Some were less. Setting them all to 16 just evens it out.

Siberious
03-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Sorry I forgot - make mobs in window 1hr after death and remove any rules about camping spawns/being past zonelines. Gotta get rid of coth races/train pulls as much as possible too. Now you can set up a Friday night NToV raid and maybe something will spawn you can clear to or are already near. Now the zones can be playable again. Also less petitions, GMs just auto-reply "Sorry you're feeling bad, but your raid mob is likely already in window again before we get to this" #makezonesfreeagain

kotton05
03-08-2019, 10:46 AM
The method the developers will apply isn’t the one where mobs spawn faster y’all are nuts. They make the variance longer till the crying stops. Did this in kunark, think one time seb didn’t spawn for almost 3 weeks.... think about it

Heebs13
03-08-2019, 10:52 AM
The method the developers will apply isn’t the one where mobs spawn faster y’all are nuts. They make the variance longer till the crying stops. Did this in kunark, think one time seb didn’t spawn for almost 3 weeks.... think about it

Oh I'm not saying mobs should spawn more often, I'm saying the windows should be extremely short. That's the only way you'd effectively end poopsocking. 7 day spawns could still be 7 day spawns, just with 10 minute windows instead of 16h windows.

They'll NEVER do that, but it would end poopsocking and guilds that specifically avoid targets where poopsocking is a requirement wouldn't have that barrier to entry anymore.

Siberious
03-08-2019, 11:12 AM

Cool implement what I said and make it X day respawn with X day variance on both sides. Still achieves what I'm pointing out.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Q1: what variance would you need to deter 99% of the server from socking.

Q2: who is the biggest beard on the server? What’s the limit to their depravity?

aaezil
03-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Look at the top 5 raid attendace on am website... these people must just eat sleep and raid

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
No gigs-nerds or hepta-beards that are carrying water for smaller guilds?

Pint
03-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Look at the top 5 raid attendace on am website... these people must just eat sleep and raid

This would be accurate if 98% of raid targets didn't all spawn within 1-2 days, those days having been the weekend recently.

aaezil
03-08-2019, 12:15 PM
This would be accurate if 98% of raid targets didn't all spawn within 1-2 days, those days having been the weekend recently.

Sad

Nexii
03-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Always found it paradoxical how the server staff want to reduce socking with variance and yet at the same time want guilds to raid in a competitive manner with myriad raid rules. These two goals are at odds with one another. Then the players are faulted for, well, playing.

Wonkie
03-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Oh I'm not saying mobs should spawn more often, I'm saying the windows should be extremely short. That's the only way you'd effectively end poopsocking. 7 day spawns could still be 7 day spawns, just with 10 minute windows instead of 16h windows.

They'll NEVER do that, but it would end poopsocking and guilds that specifically avoid targets where poopsocking is a requirement wouldn't have that barrier to entry anymore.

that would just make poopsocking easier

Heebs13
03-08-2019, 01:34 PM
that would just make poopsocking easier

I don't think 10 minutes counts as poopsocking anymore, unless you have irritable bowel syndrome or something.

shuklak
03-08-2019, 04:10 PM
How quick did these bosses die in era back in the day? I was too busy being a casual with a life to give a shit.

aaezil
03-08-2019, 04:21 PM
How quick did these bosses die in era back in the day? I was too busy being a casual with a life to give a shit.

In era most players were lvl 1-40 still. 50+ would have to scrape together barely enough to down some raid mobs once or twice a week. 1/2 or more of the end content would be up most days until Luclin and on when guilds would start locking down all expansion content.

All mobs dying within 2 mins of spawning like they do here is extremely unclassic for era.

Heebs13
03-08-2019, 04:58 PM
In era most players were lvl 1-40 still. 50+ would have to scrape together barely enough to down some raid mobs once or twice a week. 1/2 or more of the end content would be up most days until Luclin and on when guilds would start locking down all expansion content.

All mobs dying within 2 mins of spawning like they do here is extremely unclassic for era.

Yeah I raided in PoP and it was absolutely nothing like p99. I'd come home and log on, by 6pm est we'd be sending out rangers to check what mobs were up, by 6:30pm we'd pick a target and start raiding, then we'd call it quits around 10 or 11. There was no such thing as 3am batphones or rushing to kill targets in the middle of the day while everyone was at work. CotH ducking? Never heard of it til p99.

There's a multitude of reasons that all add together to create the raid scene we have in p99 today, but it's kind of crazy how quickly the devs and community dismiss the idea of trying to actually address the current reality of the raid scene in the name of being 'classic'. Today's raid scene is anything but classic. It's downright degenerate. I'm sure it could be worse but it could be a whole lot better too.

aaezil
03-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Its so un-classic that it far outweighs the myriad smaller things on this server that are just slighty un-classic

DinoTriz2
03-08-2019, 08:05 PM
I HAVE WINDOWS 10

America
03-08-2019, 08:24 PM
I have GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

aaezil
03-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Let me interject for a moment

loramin
03-08-2019, 08:29 PM
I have GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

While all that's true ... feel free to stop flattering Stallman (the guy is a nut anyway) and just call it Linux like everyone else :p

aaezil
03-08-2019, 08:33 PM
If you arent callng it GANOO LEENOX you’re def doing it wrong