PDA

View Full Version : The Eq devs were really tripping when they were making dagnor's cauldron.

Tunabros
03-02-2019, 12:30 AM
I just hate everything about it.
-its like a freaking maze
-when youre at a low level and youre trying to get to unrest, you will likely get killed on the way since there are a lot of mobs there that are higher than you and will agro you
- everywhere looks the same, so its hard to find your corpse manually
-seems to have no thought put into it

Everquest is one of my favorite games of all time and one of the best in the world, but some zones are just kinda lousy imao.

DMN
03-02-2019, 12:56 AM
Heh, way back when, it had another really annoying "feature" in that most people would hug the edge of the water and swim into the water when they needed to avoid enemies. Well back then if you got a ping spike just as you were about to enter water you would fall through the water and go splat on the bottom, instant death. Enjoy your CR at the bottom of the water with a zone that looks almost the exact same all the way around.

smellis
03-02-2019, 01:03 AM
vengeful soloist in everfrost. same kinda shit everywhere in eq. learnz newbs some respec

Bardp1999
03-02-2019, 05:32 AM
Dagnors Cauldron really is a pretty terrible zone. Lake Rathtear blows man dick as well.

Swish2
03-02-2019, 06:20 AM
Swamp of No Point ^^

derpcake2
03-02-2019, 06:56 AM
the experience innothule swamp, upper and lower guk can offer a troll 1-50 is amazing enough to be its own game

start with tadpoles, die to wizards, kill the king?

best in EQ

Mistle
03-03-2019, 01:27 AM
You can't know terrible and pointless until you experience Mons Letalis.

Jauna
03-03-2019, 01:36 AM
How the hell did you get lost in a circular zone?

Sacer
03-03-2019, 03:31 AM
Yeah the zone is terrible, but really it's pretty easy to navigate between the lake in the middle and sense heading you should not get lost. Also if you're a low level ask for a sow and lev at BB ring and go over the lake you should have no problem.

Swish2
03-03-2019, 04:31 AM
It's fairly easy honestly if you know a couple of landmarks... the 4-man camp that kills everything in sight is the key to getting back to Butcher, and you go counter-clockwise from that camp until you see a big hole in the mountain which is Unrest.

From Unrest, you know that Kedge Keep is not far below from a straight line out of the hole in that mountain.

If you miss either of those landmarks, do a lap.

Dagnor's is actually a bard race track...

Champion_Standing
03-03-2019, 10:29 AM
It's a cauldron not a nursery, Shoulda stayed in Gfay with the rest of the babies.

fastboy21
03-03-2019, 11:38 AM
It's a cauldron not a nursery, Shoulda stayed in Gfay with the rest of the babies.

Oh shit...you told his baby ass!

How dare the devs actually force players to be aware of their surroundings at all times, learn the lay of the land, find tricks to survive in the wilderness, communicate with each other to share valuable information necessary for avoiding a horrible death and painful corpse run...surely, they had no idea what they were thinking.

Rimitto
03-03-2019, 12:18 PM
I've gone to purple health like 5 times in dagnor's cauldron, but never died there.
Clearly not deadly enough.
They should fill the area with brownies.

Teppler
03-03-2019, 01:06 PM
Has anyone else ever thought about how this game is so addictive and it was created by an drug addict? Is there a proper link there?

DMN
03-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Has anyone else ever thought about how this game is so addictive and it was created by an drug addict? Is there a proper link there?

If I recall right Geoffrey Zatkin(one of the main dev's for EQ at the beginning) had some degrees in psychology so people would say he used his psych knowledge to make the game extra addictive. However I think he almost entirely worked on the spell system though, making it something of an urban legend.

Kennie
03-03-2019, 01:50 PM
dagnors has some of the best music in the game.

Ennewi
03-03-2019, 02:20 PM
I've gone to purple health like 5 times in dagnor's cauldron, but never died there.
Clearly not deadly enough.

Even better--festering hags. Nothing like a trio of witches to dispel your sow and/or lev right before nuking you out of existence. Added bonus that they would blend in with the surroundings almost perfectly. Would never see them coming before it was too late.

ZiggyTheMuss
03-03-2019, 06:07 PM
Yeah Teppler has been chopping up those hiero cloaks and snorting them for so long that he built up a hell of a tolerance. Trying to look for that new high recently and trying to score some seahorse belts now.

I Felt Nostalgic
03-03-2019, 06:11 PM

I got ran down by one of those in Lesser Faydark and was brutally raped before my corpse was dismembered. I was so frightened I had to beg a higher level person to go get my corpse for me.