PDA

View Full Version : Why waste your time

Nibblewitz
02-24-2019, 01:36 PM
questing spirit wracked cord when you can just loot it?

Kelzar
02-24-2019, 01:36 PM
/nod

Pint
02-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Good luck, probably up in the air to which way is faster still

Kluwen2
02-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Pint I still think it would of looked good on your 52 ranger!

Triangle
02-24-2019, 02:23 PM
are these even confirmed to drop?

Sonderbeast
02-24-2019, 03:39 PM
wtb spirit wracked cord loot rights 69 mil

Quizlop
02-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Why waste your time playing a private elfsim server that was beaten 3 years ago?

Fifield
02-25-2019, 04:34 AM
Why waste your time playing a private elfsim server that was beaten 3 years ago?

Could question your motives on wasting time shitting up these forums.

If you don't care for it. Why are you even here

Mblake81
02-25-2019, 07:39 AM

Could question your motives on wasting time shitting up these forums.

If you don't care for it. Why are you even here

Maybe the forums haven't been beaten yet.

d3r14k
02-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Beating both the game and the forum are objective goals. Why try to denigrate the time other people spend playing elfsim?

Do I beat the game when I get a level 60? When I kill every raid target? When I have BiS? When I have BiS for two alts? Eight alts?

Do I beat the forum when I get to Planar Protector? When I get a thread with over 100 pages? When I troll someone so hard they quit the game? When I ascend to ban heaven?

These answers are different for everyone. Ultimately none of what we do matters anyway. We'll all be dead soon, so enjoy your time and spend it as you like while you have it.

Wonkie
02-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Beating both the game and the forum are objective goals. Why try to denigrate the time other people spend playing elfsim?

Do I beat the game when I get a level 60? When I kill every raid target? When I have BiS? When I have BiS for two alts? Eight alts?

Do I beat the forum when I get to Planar Protector? When I get a thread with over 100 pages? When I troll someone so hard they quit the game? When I ascend to ban heaven?

These answers are different for everyone. Ultimately none of what we do matters anyway. We'll all be dead soon, so enjoy your time and spend it as you like while you have it.

https://i.imgur.com/Aa7s8wZ.jpg

Shinko
02-25-2019, 02:39 PM
I feel like I beat p99

Now with decock getting 7Khp
I might have a new goal of getting 7001 with more ac also

Ennewi
02-25-2019, 02:54 PM
questing spirit wracked cord when you can just loot it?

A question that comes straight out of D&D. Do we at least pretend that we're halfway roleplaying our characters or do we slay everything and fight over the spoils?

Why engage in bribery or learn the intricacies of lock picking in order to gain entry somewhere when you can just take an axe to the door and its guards, either not noticing (failed perception check) or disregarding the lock altogether.

Most who roleplay prefer quests, even if the rewards aren't best in slot, because there are elements that turn the game into an interactive story. Competing for a kill accomplishes this as well, but those stories are often less immersive and best left for min-maxers to summarize in lengthy petitions/rnf threads. However, if an encounter is as complex as certain quests are, killing and looting mobs can be equally satisfying--the more interdependence required, the greater lasting the satisfaction.

But to ask "why bother doing turn-ins, etc" is a question that could also be directed at anyone killing the same mob over and over again, in hopes of looting its rare drop. Ideally, those who opt to kill a target wouldn't even know what to expect from one encounter to the next, just like they don't know what exactly to expect in terms of loot. If a target had different versions, being as random as a loot table, than resist gear would be hit or miss since players only have so much bag space. And tactics would have change on the fly as the fight played out. This version rampages. This version is immune to slow. This version casts aoe lifetap. The same idea could also be applied to popular quests like these. Quest targets might stop respawning at a certain rate or altogether and then reappear in more remote locations if they've been overhunted, while others might become nocturnal/subterranean if they've been harassed by strangers asking them too many of the [same damn questions]. "What same damn questions?" "Same damn questions?"

Tumpy Irontoe should have 100% died of alcohol poisoning back in classic when groups of questing enablers gathered around and gave him tonic after tonic. At the very least he should have fallen to the floor and became unresponsive, requiring players to find a cleric or paladin to revive him. After his near-death experience, he would have found Brell and joined a group of NPCs that met under the Freeport docks once a week, all of them abstaining from alcohol and offering a 12-step quest until, eventually, the dwarf caved and began drinking all over again.

Similarly, no dragon should be lured so easily out from its lair, fooled into chasing one or two monks around narrow corridors and into a full raid force while its minions remain thoroughly distracted with another monk...at least not after all these years of the same tactic being employed. Once defeated, raid targets ought to adjust their behavior, being more like Deep Blue in a chess match than Bowser on SNES.

Hopefully future MMOs will be able to accomplish this. The more common knowledge becomes in these types of games, the more it turns what was once fun into an overly competitive, monotonous chore. That unknown fun can't be recreated without causing an uproar from one vocal minority or another, but the silent majority eventually comes to accept it and adapts. That is what makes an ongoing beta test like this project somewhat more classic than it would be if everything went according to plan, in a seamless progression of updates, as is intended for green server.

You log on and suddenly weapon procs aren't as reliable as before, and buff timers have been removed, and mobs are fleeing at a much faster rate than normal, and sneak pulling isn't a thing, and several classes have skills in the red, and lay hand/harm touch don't stay grayed out, and druid track has been reduced to the size of seafury island, and seafuries no longer drop as much loot. And you aren't certain if the bow of the underfoot was somehow removed from golem loot tables or if it's just RNG, so you beg and plead with the devs to double check. That's about as classic as it gets, being left to wonder and ask around and keep at it or quit out of frustration.

d3r14k
02-25-2019, 03:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Aa7s8wZ.jpg

Don't you patronize me with smol shouting wolves, Wonkie!

aaezil
02-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Perma-banned is winning forum quest

maskedmelon
02-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Ultimately none of what we do matters anyway. We'll all be dead soon, so enjoy your time and spend it as you like while you have it.

everything matters 😊

DinoTriz2
02-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Who is your avatar supposed to be? Uhtred of Bebbanburg?

Wonkie
02-25-2019, 07:35 PM

well stop howling into the void then :p

d3r14k
02-25-2019, 07:37 PM
Who is your avatar supposed to be? Uhtred of Bebbanburg?

He's obviously some sort of famed butterfly / bixie whisperer.

IDK it's just some nerd art I liked

Twochain
02-25-2019, 08:11 PM
I feel like I beat p99

Now with decock getting 7Khp
I might have a new goal of getting 7001 with more ac also

LOL Decock

what a word wizard .

Aeaolena
02-26-2019, 12:23 AM
Nibblewitz is the nice one.

Bardp1999