PDA

View Full Version : Reporting 2 boxing (whats the point)

dela7460
01-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Every time I'm on I see 2 boxing going on and reading up on the forms is were people report it but it seems to go unpunished.

And then the poster gets shit from everyone about snitching or what ever.
What's the deal?

It upsets me because I'm trying to play by the rules while others don't. And seeing that its not being punished..... well if you can't beat them might as well bitch about it. hehe

Here is a example.
Someone has a high level druid in a low level zone just standing there. Every 6 to 10 minutes a low level runs over to the druid and gets buffed and runs off. The druid never moves, and never respond say, ooc, tells.

This goes on for like 6 hours. The low level character doesn't want to join anyone's group because he's soloing and stealing kills from others camp.

Is this OK, can I just log in a high level and just buff myself?
Hell maybe put the high level buffing a whole group then?

rjw513
01-23-2019, 09:52 AM
what's the point ?

Legidias
01-23-2019, 10:04 AM
You can report it, but it doesnt actually mean he's 2 boxing. FOr all you know his wife/kids/slave is off doing the laundry or picking cotton and comes back ever 30 mins to re buff.

dela7460
01-23-2019, 10:10 AM
This is what I mean, everyone is always defending them.

6 hours, that's some pile of laundry and I don't believe cotton is in season.

Tecmos Deception
01-23-2019, 10:27 AM
This is what I mean, everyone is always defending them.

6 hours, that's some pile of laundry and I don't believe cotton is in season.

Nobody defended a boxer. They are just pointing out that you do not, in fact, know what is going on, and if you report someone and nothing is done about it, then it seems likely that the person you reported was not guilty (or at least not blatantly-enough guilty that the stuff felt it was warranted to do anything about it).

Rygar
01-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Did you petition in game in hopes of a guide using GM invis to witness the behavior and perhaps escalate to a boxing test? Petition in the PETITION FORUM instead of RnF?

Don't complain if you don't do the right thing. I'm doubtful a guide will ban anyone off a rnf post. If anything you are tipping off the boxer and he may stop, fearing age may be watching.

Posted from the crapper during traditional morning dump.

Tecmos Deception
01-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Posted from the crapper during traditional morning dump.

God bless technology.

Mead
01-23-2019, 10:35 AM
https://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/schizophrenia-paranoia

maskedmelon
01-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Did you petition in game in hopes of a guide using GM invis to witness the behavior and perhaps escalate to a boxing test? Petition in the PETITION FORUM instead of RnF?

Don't complain if you don't do the right thing. I'm doubtful a guide will ban anyone off a rnf post. If anything you are tipping off the boxer and he may stop, fearing age may be watching.

this is exactly right. make sure to petition in-game, OP. That way a guide can come, observe and ban them 🤗

snyder43
01-23-2019, 11:03 AM
When I used to solo in Chardok I started seeing the same three people with anonymous on for a few weeks. I wondered what they were killing so one day I sent tells to two of the people and got no reply. The third had short replies and said he was too busy to chat. I asked what they were camping and the guy told me "I don't know." I added them to friends and all three were always on at the same time. I would shoot them tells every now and then, and one of them always replied while the other two said nothing (different characters replied each time). After seeing them several times in Chardok over a two week period I /petitioned a GM and said "I am not sure, but I think these three characters may all be boxed by one individual." I never heard back from the GM, but since that day I have not seen any of those three characters on once.

Jimjam
01-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Druid is in a discord server, PLee is just opening mic to say 'yo, Thorns faded again, rebuff please' and the Druid alt tabs back from youflicks to cast the requested buff before asking again.

Mead
01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
I only confirmed one guy boxing because he literally told me he got ip exemption for his wife and uses other toon when she isn't on. Did not petition but I'm sure someone got him because this was within 5 minutes of meeting this dude in nektulos.

Mead
01-23-2019, 11:27 AM
Uses her toon when she isn't on*. No edit got me again

dela7460
01-23-2019, 11:33 AM
This is the Rant and Flame section, I'm just ranting.
I'm not giving out names or zones.

And yes I should have petitioned it.
And yes he even told us he was power leveling himself.

They really weren't bothering me or my group much.

I was looking through the forms to see how or what needs to be done to report a 2 boxer. In case I ran into others in the future and I'm just returning after being away a few years and couldn't remember the process.

And that's when I found many post of people just getting shit on for talking about it.

As we saw here right away.

That's kind of what I mean by (whats the point)
The community doesn't want to hear it. Simply report it in game when it happens and that's it. Everything is good in this world don't fill up the forums with stuff like this that might discourage people form joining.

I wouldn't be in the Rants section if I was trying to report someone.
But thanks to you I now know what I need to do in game to report someone.

Something fishy is going on but everyone is quick to turn it around and make it about you...

Champion_Standing
01-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Is this OK, can I just log in a high level and just buff myself?
Hell maybe put the high level buffing a whole group then?

If you are gonna box please buff the whole group.

Legidias
01-23-2019, 12:21 PM
If you have proof of him boxing, you should petition it ASAP and follow up with a post in forums in petitions with screenshots.

You kinda left out some details originally.

Jimjam
01-23-2019, 12:37 PM
This is the Rant and Flame section

Something fishy is going on but everyone is quick to turn it around and make it about you...

Firstly, this is RNF, explain snarky retorts if you accuse anyone of anything and only provide limited evidence. Secondly, the implication was to report boxing to the authorities who can actually investigate it properly, thirdly no one has accused you of anything. You've been handled with the RNF kiddy gloves here!

Mytral
01-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Sounds like a druid making some cash PLing someone while watching netflix.

Petition and make them pass the test if its suspicious. If they pass, then move on. If not, well, c'est la vie!

Dreenk317
01-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Boxing is tricky. I myself have been accused of boxing many many times. Yet have never done it on p99. But it happens, because, as others have pointed out. There are many ways in which a character can be useful, and look like it's being boxed. Especially when voice chat is involved. It is really easy for me to get my buddy that works from home to log on my druid or shaman while I run around killing things on a different character. Asking him in voice for buff refreshes, as he does his work in the other monitor. Does this look like boxing? You bet your ass. Is it? Not according to the rules. It's very hard to tell if someone is boxing sometimes. And it's very easy to assume that someone is, even when they arent.

Like others have said, if you really think someone is boxing, file a petition in game and let the GM's do there thing. I've taken the boxing test, I highly doubt a boxer can pass it.

Irulan
01-23-2019, 01:46 PM
I dreamed of dumpster diving for a new laptop and using a freevpn on a malware box to run a druid

loramin
01-23-2019, 02:02 PM
it seems to go unpunished.

This is a mistaken perception. People absolutely get banned for 2-boxing, and there have been many stories (both from reporters and from butt-hurt boxers) on this forum proving as much.

And then the poster gets shit from everyone about snitching or what ever.
What's the deal?

The deal is that you're confusing a few prolific posters (maybe in the forum in general, but I'm guessing largely from RnF) for the larger P99 community. We have a lot of trolls here in the forum (especially in RnF), and they pick and prod and attack anyone and everyone they possibly can. Your mistake is thinking that they are representative of the larger community, when they're literally just a handful or two of sad pathetic people who spend half their lives on this forum.

(FWIW, I'm the kind of sad and pathetic person who only spends like 1/5 of my life on this forum, so I get to feel superior by comparison ;))

It upsets me because I'm trying to play by the rules while others don't. And seeing that its not being punished..... well if you can't beat them might as well bitch about it. hehe

I get this, I really do. As someone with RSI issues I was very upset by the fact that not only would some bards use programmable keyboards to play the game, but there was actually a guide in the wiki encouraging them to do it, despite the server rules against macros. I fought with the author of that guide (I'd edit his guide to add a warning before the parts about macros, he'd angrily change it back, etc.)

Finally after years of this I finally managed to beg a GM to add a line to the rules to clarify that macros are not allowed even if they come from programming on your joystick or keyboard: one key/button press can only perform one keypress in-game, the same as any non-programmable keyboard. Once that was added I triumphantly removed the offending section from the guide, and now new bards are no longer encouraged to break the rules (in a way that I so wish that I could, because it would make my wrists hurt less). Dreams do come true.

Long story short, things take time here, but that doesn't mean they're not getting better. Maybe some actual 2-boxers get away with it sometimes, and maybe some people that look like 2-boxers really aren't, and they're not getting away with anything. But either way, the staff does still care about enforcing the rules, they do work to get rid of 2-boxers, and if you petition an actual 2-boxer (someone who can't pass the GM's keyboard test) while a GM is on they will be removed.

In other words, have faith: not in some sort of religious "just trust" way, but because the staff has demonstrated over the decade or so that this project has gone on that they deserve our faith on issues like this.

Irulan
01-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Thats why 6 boxing is better.

Chesticals
01-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Boxing is tricky. I myself have been accused of boxing many many times. Yet have never done it on p99. But it happens, because, as others have pointed out. There are many ways in which a character can be useful, and look like it's being boxed. Especially when voice chat is involved. It is really easy for me to get my buddy that works from home to log on my druid or shaman while I run around killing things on a different character. Asking him in voice for buff refreshes, as he does his work in the other monitor. Does this look like boxing? You bet your ass. Is it? Not according to the rules. It's very hard to tell if someone is boxing sometimes. And it's very easy to assume that someone is, even when they arent.

Like others have said, if you really think someone is boxing, file a petition in game and let the GM's do there thing. I've taken the boxing test, I highly doubt a boxer can pass it.

Sammmmeeee. I have a friend in China that will log on and buff me with a shaman while he plays daoc in the middle of the night. Dude always comes around Paineel being salty he doesnt have my spot and accusing me of boxing. Never has amounted to anything!

Jauna
01-23-2019, 04:03 PM
This thread makes me paranoid whenever I sit in CB buffing people and playing on my 3ds all day long

fuck what if i get banned playing etrian odyssey nexus WHILE playing p99?

derpcake2
01-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Red wouldn't have raids without people 6 boxing.

Hope this info helps you.

loramin
01-23-2019, 04:32 PM
This thread makes me paranoid whenever I sit in CB buffing people and playing on my 3ds all day long

fuck what if i get banned playing etrian odyssey nexus WHILE playing p99?

You don't have to worry, because an accusation alone doesn't get you banned. As I understand it (having never gone through this myself) the basic process is:

one player reports another player for perceived boxing
a GM shows up, in GM-stealth mode, and observes for a bit
if the GM thinks it looks fishy too, they contact the two characters involved and asks them to perform a keyboard test (eg. both of you spin in clockwise circles, ok now both switch to counter clockewise) that only two people could perform
ONLY if that test fails do you get banned

Bboboo
01-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Is two boxing forum accounts allowed?

Loke
01-23-2019, 06:37 PM
Maybe they're not 2 boxing? I've PL'd and been PL'd by friends while one of us is semi-AFK on a high level druid. Perfect way to help your friends out when you can't really play, but can pop in every 15 or 20 mins to refresh buffs. It's not like the GMs are going to contact you and let you know they investigated your report and found they weren't 2 boxing.

I don't mind people snitching on 2boxers, because they are breaking the rules... But bitching about it when your snitching doesn't result in any action is weak.

loramin
01-23-2019, 07:59 PM
Is two boxing forum accounts allowed?

That reminds me, I miss Lhancelot (and/or SiouxNation).

Triiz
01-23-2019, 08:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfvADznhTQA

MilanderTruewield
01-23-2019, 08:45 PM
The last time I reported a person who boxed, AND ADMITTED IN GROUP that he was logging on his other char to loot, I was told to petition on the forums. No replies yet :(

Bardp1999
01-23-2019, 08:56 PM
I've heard that the main way they catch boxxers is from them doing to from the same computer. That's the smoking gun where Braknar teliports in like a Russian freedom fighter screaming DO NOT LOG OFF THIS IS A BOXING TEST and then proceeds to Death Touche and banish the account(s) into P99 hell.

loramin
01-23-2019, 08:57 PM
The last time I reported a person who boxed, AND ADMITTED IN GROUP that he was logging on his other char to loot, I was told to petition on the forums. No replies yet :(

Huh, I'm no expert, but I thought the forum was reserved for things that can't be handled in-game (eg. lost item requests). I've always heard of 2-boxing reports happening through /petition.

Maybe this was when Sirken was out and they were short-staffed, so that was their way of admitting that they had other stuff to deal with and they'd try to look later?

Lune
01-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Back in 2012-2013 on two occasions I personally watched as I /petition 'd boxers and GM's showed up and took care of it within an hour.

MilanderTruewield
01-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Sirken was the one who told me to report via forums :P

Whitebreadd
01-23-2019, 09:53 PM
I would hope they get banned because my wife and I just downloaded the game this afternoon and hoped to play tonight. Got the kids to bed, poured some drinks and got ready to relive some classic eq and one of us gets a temporary IP ban error message. Now im searching the forums to find out that i have to request an ip exemption? So pretty much the night is ruined. Sad times :/

loramin
01-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Sirken was the one who told me to report via forums :P

:eek:

I would hope they get banned because my wife and I just downloaded the game this afternoon and hoped to play tonight. Got the kids to bed, poured some drinks and got ready to relive some classic eq and one of us gets a temporary IP ban error message. Now im searching the forums to find out that i have to request an ip exemption? So pretty much the night is ruined. Sad times :/

Depending on how technically apt you are there are ways (eg. VPN, using your cellphone's network) to get around the ban and, as long as you have two humans in front of the boxes, it's not against the rules.

Whitebreadd
01-23-2019, 10:20 PM
Depending on how technically apt you are there are ways (eg. VPN, using your cellphone's network) to get around the ban and, as long as you have two humans in front of the boxes, it's not against the rules.

I've been meaning to get a vpn for quite some time. Just disappointed with this unexpected road block. Thanks for the suggestions though.

loramin
01-23-2019, 10:47 PM
I've been meaning to get a vpn for quite some time. Just disappointed with this unexpected road block. Thanks for the suggestions though.

NP. I started using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ for bit torrent awhile ago and they seem pretty good. They're a little more expensive than they used to be, but still aren't bad at $3.33/month (if you buy a year).

aaezil
01-23-2019, 11:31 PM
Red wouldn't have raids without people 6 boxing.

Hope this info helps you.

jakerees
01-24-2019, 12:47 AM
And don't feel bad of you get someone banned for boxing even if you are only a little iffy yourself on whether they are actually guilty or not because they can always post a picture on the forum of themselves lying on the floor starting up p99 on a laptop while their 7 year old kid sits in a chair getting ready to play p99 on a big TV mounted on the wall thus conclusively proving that they are two separate people playing eq

Swish2
01-24-2019, 01:23 AM
And don't feel bad of you get someone banned for boxing even if you are only a little iffy yourself on whether they are actually guilty or not because they can always post a picture on the forum of themselves lying on the floor starting up p99 on a laptop while their 7 year old kid sits in a chair getting ready to play p99 on a big TV mounted on the wall thus conclusively proving that they are two separate people playing eq

Classic thread.

Swish2
01-24-2019, 01:25 AM
NP. I started using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ for bit torrent awhile ago and they seem pretty good. They're a little more expensive than they used to be, but still aren't bad at $3.33/month (if you buy a year).

I think you mean "we"...

https://i.imgur.com/iFlPi9S.gif

m00r5tuD
01-24-2019, 01:50 AM
one of the times i petitioned a 2boxer llandris showed up soon after and banned both the toons so they at least sometimes look into it

Jimjam
01-24-2019, 03:24 AM

Paying a premium to access multiple Everquest accounts is very classic!

MamaKan
01-24-2019, 04:10 AM
My experience is that a year ago, if you petitioned someone in game for boxing they would be submitted to the "boxing test" within 10 minutes and the players that didn't have someone in their home ready to step in and do the test would get insta suspended for a month if its first offense and perma ban on second offense.

Nowadays I'm pretty sure you can box safely and unless you're really unlucky, even if you get reported 50 times, nobody will show up. Its pretty unjust as boxing opens up so many possibilities but hey, its a free privately owned server. Take it or leave it.

Swish2
01-24-2019, 05:45 AM
Paying a premium to access multiple Everquest accounts is very classic!

For people who like boxing, there's about 3-4 other well known emulated servers out there where you can do just that.

No boxing is what makes P99 the best.

Mblake1981
01-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Nowadays I'm pretty sure you can box safely and unless you're really unlucky, even if you get reported 50 times, nobody will show up. Its pretty unjust as boxing opens up so many possibilities but hey, its a free privately owned server. Take it or leave it.

Skyrim is an option.

For people who like boxing, there's about 3-4 other well known emulated servers out there where you can do just that.

No boxing is what makes P99 the best.

Yep, also brings every animal withing 50 miles running to post about their new server or how this one sucks because it doesn't do X. If it did it wouldn't still be here, it would be just another waste town.

shuklak
01-24-2019, 04:35 PM
There are also 2 new official TLP servers coming for the 20th anniversary. Will they allow boxing? They haven't said!

Foxplay
01-24-2019, 11:45 PM
There are also 2 new official TLP servers coming for the 20th anniversary. Will they allow boxing? They haven't said!

Of course they will, it makes them more money

Swish2
01-25-2019, 03:55 AM

So hardcore but they won't turn off cash shop items or XP pots, guaranteed lol

Mblake1981
01-25-2019, 07:36 AM

https://i.imgur.com/1FOhmQm.gif?1

Asteria
01-25-2019, 10:59 AM
:eek::eek: The pig-fuckers are boxing too it seems when not flashlight terrorizing. Do that and you can cause mayhem on the freeways. Pls make them stop says the wabbit.

loramin
01-25-2019, 05:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/1FOhmQm.gif?1

:confused: Did PIA kick your baby or something?

kaev
01-26-2019, 06:24 PM
:eek::eek: The pig-fuckers are boxing too ...

Tory politicians play p99? Cheap-assed rich bitches need perma-banning! Where's Sirken when you actually need him?

Jimjam
01-26-2019, 06:38 PM
Tory politicians play p99? Cheap-assed rich bitches need perma-banning! Where's Sirken when you actually need him?

Referendum result I was hoping for not up **ghosts**

dela7460
01-28-2019, 12:49 PM
Well, I ran into some more this weekend, and after watching for 10 minutes I was pretty sure it was 2 boxing. I petitioned it and with in 10 minutes those characters were no where to be found.

They only made it to level 3 :)

shuklak
01-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Shoulda let them get a lot higher...