PDA

View Full Version : I tried live.

tsuchang
11-05-2018, 12:15 PM
I played free on live for a week then paid for a month.
What a drag. I had a merc healer and could easily solo yellow and low reds. Might as well play wow.
I just wanted to see what it was like. I thought I missed the bazaar, but there weren't enough players to make it worth shopping there.
With the gloomndeep gear I was able to solo up to 20 in a couple days casual play.
Anyone who likes this game style, this is the place for you. It's free to play.

Live long and prosper

Byel
11-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Yeah the whole mercs and books to travel every 20 feet really ruined it when I revisited a couple years back.

Bardp1999
11-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Instancing also sounds awesome on paper but is quite the killer in actuality. I think "competition" on this server is a joke but its also 100x better than instancing. Its better to chase the carrot and never actual get it

Check12345
11-05-2018, 12:53 PM
The mudflation on live is pretty amazing. My co worker still plays live. His raid geared warrior usually has about 350,000 - 400,000 hit points.

And he can still get 1 rounded...

Then add in all the fucking bolt-ons and one off gimmick features bundled with this xpac or that one, its a fucking mess.

I played live again about 4-5 years ago and just left things at lvl 103. My monk can pretty much kill all of ToV in about 3-4 battles if I tried.

Swish2
11-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Imagine bumping a thread bragging about the time your guild went there because they couldn't FTE Velious mobs, and then quit it within 18 months (but still brag) :o

America
11-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Imagine bumping a thread bragging about the time your guild went there because they couldn't FTE Velious mobs, and then quit it within 18 months (but still brag) :o

disturbing scribbling, friend. are there refugees fighting in your library rn?

Izmael
11-05-2018, 06:24 PM
I played live for a few weeks a couple years ago to try something out and it actually turned out semi interesting - unattended gameplay (without 3rd party programs).

I made groups of 3 chars - usually two mages and one cleric - and tried to find places where i could just leave them overnight and come back the next day and they would all maxxed out the exp they could get from the mobs before total greening out.

Finding these leveling paths and the tricks to make sure the trio would always win (with the mercs of course) and not get pushed out of aggro ranges etc...That was fairly fun.

With free accounts I got to around level 87-88 on a bunch of chars and made millions of pp's in the progress. Parking a trio in the Hole by the door to Yael meant an endless supply of blue mobs who dropped diamonds and other gems.
I never really found (or searched for) places you could do it past level 88 (remember - free mercs suck). Getting through lvl 87 was already borderline too long - like a week of uninterrupted exping.

Of course after a while I got reported (someone surely wanted the camp) and banned for unattended gameplay.

The ban was only for 3 days but I never went back. Still have like 15 level 85+ clr/mags there doing nothing, sitting around with 100-stacks of diamonds in the bags.

Troxx
11-05-2018, 07:11 PM

How many years have they been gone ... yet you still have a raging hard-on for them?

God bless BDA.

<--- look left; the location is apparently still relevant.

tsuchang
11-05-2018, 10:17 PM
I really liked what they did to the graphics in the zones tho. Steamfont was super. Lots of zones were prettied up a lot.

Tethler
11-05-2018, 10:59 PM
Yeeeaaahhhh. I did the same about 2 years ago. Played for maybe a month and a half. The tank merc can just solo everything. It's dumb. I had a bit of fun running around zones that used to wreck me and soloing raid mobs, then got bored and came back to p99 to play a real game.

mr_jon3s
11-05-2018, 11:53 PM
If your gonna try it out and fork over the money for a month may as well go do one of the TLPs.

Dartagnan
11-06-2018, 12:42 AM
Yeeeaaahhhh. I did the same about 2 years ago. Played for maybe a month and a half. The tank merc can just solo everything. It's dumb. I had a bit of fun running around zones that used to wreck me and soloing raid mobs, then got bored and came back to p99 to play a real game.

p99 is anything like the game was back in the day. The server needs to be reset.

Tethler
11-06-2018, 01:36 AM
p99 is anything like the game was back in the day. The server needs to be reset.

:rolleyes:

It's certainly more like the past version than live is..

Also, it's not going to be reset. May as well just give up that pipe dream.

tsuchang
11-06-2018, 01:58 AM
pipe dream. I've never had one of those. I used to smoke a pipe but not the funny tobacco.

shuklak
11-06-2018, 05:29 AM
Different pipe

Swish2
11-06-2018, 06:17 AM
you still have a raging hard-on for them

I think you have a raging hard-on for me commenting about it... its quite clear. To the point where I'm in your location text for some reason.

Why not try P99 again?

gundumbwing
11-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Live EQ is just straight boring. I agree, if you were gonna spend a months sub you should have checked out the TLPs. It's a different flavor than p99.

It's easier in a lot of aspects since a few game mechanics aren't bugged/not working correctly like p99, such as mage pets and AC.

The glaring issue between the two is there's really no sense of danger on the TLPs. If you die, You respawn with all your gear and groups are typically so easy to find you can recoup that exp quickly. So the only fear is losing your camp, and that's not a big deal either because the rules are "highest DPS wins the mob", so you can either take it back or lose it altogether regardless of a wipe anyway.

Live TLP servers are fun in their own way. P99 is fun it's own nostalgia filled way. I play both from time to time.

Yasi
11-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Better try EQ Reborn than live.

d3r14k
11-06-2018, 08:48 AM
All this talk about raging hard ons and Swish's sandgina have got me all flustered.