PDA

View Full Version : When the did the GM's care about names?

StinkyGreenBud
05-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Been gone a year or so and come to find out my clerics name was changed to some random shitty one now. I mean the old name was Strangebrew, not exactly x-rated...It is just a name but it really took the piss on replaying him.

jakerees
05-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Can I have your stuff?

Glad your immersion breaking name was changed BTW

Triiz
05-02-2018, 04:39 PM
There was a purge recently, they changed a lot of names. Surprised "Strangebrew" was changed, guess that falls under the "GM discretion" part unless you had some fucked up last name. You can chose a new name and petition to get it changed.

Nixtar
05-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Odd name to purge. It actually sounds like name which could be found in a fantasy setting.

Canelek
05-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Solid name. With all the sexist, racist and generally dipshit names still out there, I am surprised that one got popped.

StinkyGreenBud
05-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Just did a /who and see loads of higher levels still with stupid fucking names way worse than Strangebrew...fucking hell.

Shinko
05-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Still know someone that has cuntpuncher as a level 3 monk

branamil
05-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Saw a guy named Fatlips Cumdumpster once. But Strangebrew is the offensive one

Argh
05-02-2018, 05:18 PM
This name also survived the purge:

https://i.imgur.com/PLwGXHt.png

StinkyGreenBud
05-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Honestly Strangebrew fits naming convention with the exception of pop culture ref.

I would not have added your name to the LIST

Yes but I believe you did in that one thread on naming policy...so I blame you.

StinkyGreenBud
05-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Oh wait that was that prick Balor. My bad.

Triiz
05-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Maybe you were an unintentional casualty of the purge. Once you have another name picked, petition and ask them to change it back. If they reject that, settle for the lesser name.

dslaybac
05-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Take a stroll through EC just to see all the ridiculous names still around...

chadtwoke
05-02-2018, 07:33 PM
I let a friend of mine use my account since i don't play anymore. He made a new character on blue name Natehiggerz(His RL name is Nathaniel Higgers) and he was banned within 30 seconds of being in the game.

Jauna
05-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Strangebrew as a first name makes no sense.

But if that was a Surname for a Dwarf, I can dig it.

But because GMs are banning names and stuff I been petitioning names of people who piss me off.

Jokesteve
05-02-2018, 07:38 PM
I let a friend of mine use my account since i don't play anymore. He made a new character on blue name Natehiggerz(His RL name is Nathaniel Higgers) and he was banned within 30 seconds of being in the game.

Im not buying that, lol

Malory Archer
05-02-2018, 07:41 PM
tl;dr whole thread, why is woolyspider silknets still a thing? should get changed.

Jauna
05-02-2018, 07:45 PM
They did get changed, they used to be 5 charges

chadtwoke
05-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Im not buying that, lol

well its true. he was over last week. I had my characters on red, but since i haven't logged in for a little bit i told him to just use my account. he wasn't interested in pvp so he made a char on blue. His name is Nathaniel Higgers(I know, I know. I'm not going to post a copy of his fucking drivers license). He made his char, and was banned immediately. no message from a GM to change his name, nothing. just instant bant. pretty fucked up if you ask me.

Baler
05-02-2018, 07:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/J6zT4iK.gif

Swish2
05-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Sorry you can't follow simple naming policy rules. Next time you want to form a phrase or sentence don't do it on your EQ character's name.

Sincerely,

Conlae Nasbuck

Wonkie
05-02-2018, 08:01 PM
But because GMs are banning names and stuff I been petitioning names of people who piss me off.

i dont think they have time to actively search, petitioning is the right course for your spite.

chadtwoke
05-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Sorry you can't follow simple naming policy rules. Next time you want to form a phrase or sentence don't do it on your EQ character's name.

Sincerely,

Conlae Nasbuck

My issue is not with the policy, but with the automatic permaban of my account cause my buddy made a char name that somehow triggered the GM's, and they just banned the account without saying, "Hey, change your name it's against the name policy". Of which my buddy would have complied and changed it, as he wasn't trying to be offensive. His name is genuinely Nathaniel Higgers.

Wonkie
05-02-2018, 08:05 PM
speaking of, @filbus

blue: zarina - cleric / gumby - necromancer / park - ranger / lulls - enchanter / kiss - monk / pamela - shadowknight / barbarous - shaman / dolemite - paladin / patsy - bard / tick - wizard / cupid - rogue / jilena - warrior / magine - mage
red: trolling - shaman / lust - necro

Jauna
05-02-2018, 08:06 PM
i dont think they have time to actively search, petitioning is the right course for your spite.

You are probably right, justice wont be served right then and there. But a guide will put a pin in the name and add it to the pile for a GM to take care of later.

Petition
/friend Cawksmcgee

And just check friends now and again.

Canelek
05-02-2018, 08:28 PM
My issue is not with the policy, but with the automatic permaban of my account cause my buddy made a char name that somehow triggered the GM's, and they just banned the account without saying, "Hey, change your name it's against the name policy". Of which my buddy would have complied and changed it, as he wasn't trying to be offensive. His name is genuinely Nathaniel Higgers.

Yeah. Sounds like bullshit. Not necessarily the fucked up name your elfpal allegedly has, but that one would invite a friend over to play Everquest. Then, said alleged friend using his alleged full name as his character name?

Nope.

jilena
05-02-2018, 09:13 PM
speaking of, @filbus

This sig really is too long.

This is better.

Jauna
05-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Yeah. Sounds like bullshit. Not necessarily the fucked up name your elfpal allegedly has, but that one would invite a friend over to play Everquest. Then, said alleged friend using his alleged full name as his character name?

Nope.

What are you talking about? it has all the elements of being true:
1.) it was someone else
2.) lots of words
3.) a name from a 'the simpsons' intro from 20 years ago
4.) burden of proof lies with the person refuting the claim and not the one making it

all adds up man

#freethatguywhosnameiforgottyping this

Triiz
05-02-2018, 10:21 PM

I'm shocked that the GM's would ban you for naming a toon after a racist meme that is so well known when you google it almost every result is about it being a racist meme, especially when you have such a totally legit explanation that doesn't sound like bullshit at all.

Bruno
05-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Been gone a year or so and come to find out my clerics name was changed to some random shitty one now. I mean the old name was Strangebrew, not exactly x-rated...It is just a name but it really took the piss on replaying him.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Had my necro since March 2010 and they decided to do an arbitrary name policy enforcement. Regret every cent I donated to this project. Should have taken advantage like the rest of the scumbags.

tl:dr Kid is mad about name change and wants a refund.

Patriam1066
05-02-2018, 10:39 PM
What is offensive about Nathaniel Higgers?

Patriam1066
05-02-2018, 10:41 PM
This name also survived the purge:

https://i.imgur.com/PLwGXHt.png

Lol

Swish2
05-03-2018, 12:30 AM

Haven't got to go far, still a bunch in EC.

kjs86z
05-03-2018, 08:49 AM
This whole GM name changing shit is retarded.

I can see if its racist / really obvious....but Strangebrew?

C'mon. Its fucking 2018, people.

Speedi
05-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Those dirty GM’s Always ruining everyone’s fun, geez! :P

d3r14k
05-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Who was that guy that had a complete melt down over his surname? Tu'Wang or something?

His name was Tekilya Wu'Tang, and his contributions are not to be diminished. He spun a flying kick so fierce it blasted a dildrone right out of the air.

putrid_plum
05-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Damn these GMs changing names on the server they run that are against the rules you read and agree to before you play, FOR FREE, I mean you can always go play on the live servers.

StinkyGreenBud
05-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Damn these GMs changing names on the server they run that are against the rules you read and agree to before you play, FOR FREE, I mean you can always go play on the live servers.

The issue is that I've been here for 8 years and they never cared much about names. But all of a sudden they do? I mean how is my name changed over others who use sexual/racist terms? Hell I have seen offensive names that have been around for years run around with impunity.

Ennewi
05-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Donaldjtrump remains safe

Not for long. I'll be petitioning him on my Stormydaniels barbarian.

d3r14k
05-03-2018, 02:48 PM

If I could give you some kind of P99 forum points, I would award them all to you for this post.

Funny - Check
Relevant in today's political climate - Check
Pertaining to EQ in some way - Check

Jauna
05-03-2018, 03:02 PM
You know I was joking at first but the more I think about it someone probably did petition people who pissed someone off in some way or another. Lots of names go ignored, but the loud ones get name changed

Lammy
05-03-2018, 03:24 PM
I see that guy with the name Clarkey running around and I'm surprised that's allowed
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=clarkey

Canelek
05-03-2018, 03:41 PM

That one should really go.

And the EQ name as well.

Canelek
05-03-2018, 03:41 PM

Woohoo!

Speedi
05-03-2018, 07:12 PM

Praise

Uuruk
05-03-2018, 07:17 PM
Names of mine that have yet to be changed:

Legday
Armday
Brainday
Blowinitup
Capmule

Get mad.

But we aren't immersed in to a Velious locked box. I think we win.

Swish2
05-03-2018, 09:42 PM
his creative writings also inspired a super entertaining fanfic spinoff that is still one of my favorites (o^^o)

dont forget that Chest interview

StinkyGreenBud
05-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Sirken just in EC but all them names against the naming policy around him are acceptable? Sorry but this is making me bitter. As it feels my name was reported and is the only reason it was changed? Petitioned to have it back but nope, it's against the naming policy..but everything else is acceptable. pfft

Swish2
05-07-2018, 11:41 PM
Sirken just in EC but all them names against the naming policy around him are acceptable? Sorry but this is making me bitter. As it feels my name was reported and is the only reason it was changed? Petitioned to have it back but nope, it's against the naming policy..but everything else is acceptable. pfft

What was the name?

I feel like the only way to keep a violation name is to not log it in :o

StinkyGreenBud
05-07-2018, 11:48 PM
Said it in my first post dude. Strangebrew. Which is pretty tame compared to some of these names running around.

Swish2
05-07-2018, 11:50 PM
There's way worse. My original account had Brik Shithouse, the troll SK.

Amelinda didn't like that one, to the tune of a 2 day ban.

StinkyGreenBud
05-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Yeah man that is my point. None of my names are even remotely close to that. I just want to know why all of a sudden they had a name purge and why mine was even included.

Ruhtar
05-08-2018, 04:31 AM
Your character's name was changed because it was in Baler's thread, not because you actually violated the naming policy like a quarter of the names out there right now do.

What happened was a new guide was made around this time and either this guide is Baler or friends with Baler or what have you and decided to change all the names that were in that thread. None outside of that, except for petitioned names. Several people on that list didn't have names that violated the rules, however, there's a crap ton out there that even get petitioned and still haven't been changed.

Now has there been another #namegate since then? No, because they went off of a thread that was created by a forum troll. So if you hate a bunch of people in game, start saving their names now and one day make a thread about them. You'll get to taste their salty tears.

And I'm not personally salty about this, because none of my toons were changed, but I have friends and guildies that were. Some probably should've been changed, but there were also a few that shouldn't have been. At the end of the day, it's their server and their rules, so just bend over and take it or save yourself and leave.

shuklak
05-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Welcome back to Petition99.

Mead
05-08-2018, 09:06 AM
save yourself and leave.

mattydef
05-08-2018, 11:04 AM
I've tried to get them to change my rogues name but they won't :(

Canelek
05-08-2018, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that is not objectively funny.

Canelek
05-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Key word being objectively.

You bring up a valid point regarding race discussion though. It is important to talk about it, and diminish the inherent cruelty through understanding and humor. One of the rather large challenges currently is the political landscape is one of xenophobia and isolationism.

Progressive dialog will continue to be challenging until, from the top down, discussion is encouraged.