PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?

Bloodson
04-28-2018, 11:17 PM
I have a level 60 cleric, what do you do with a 60 cleric when you're bored? Go to noob zones and help people, give rezzes etc.

I like to go to HHK normally, lots of people there and often do a lot of rezzes and buffs.

Well tonight I decide to go to Unrest and I run up to main room. Figure I'll help by nuking some mobs below 50%. For some reason 1 or 2 didn't give xp they said. So I sit there healing their group. Decide I'll make up for accidentally taking their XP by pulling some mobs from basement which was uncamped. I pull up a couple singles, root them and back off to heal.

Out of nowhere one of them says "will you f***ing leave." another says "Worst cleric ever" 3 of them cussing me out for trying to help. I say (???) and apologize. and promptly go F off to help another group. Put the 3 who said stuff at me on ignore.

Minutes later his group member says he (one of the 3 on ignore) needs a rez. I said no.

Was I wrong in doing so? Don't be rude to the people that are trying to make your experience better. I don't have to go to Unrest and help noobs, I do it because people are generally appreciative.

Sometimes I just don't get it.

Bloodson
04-28-2018, 11:18 PM
Fireplace, not main room :P

Mead
04-28-2018, 11:54 PM
nah they can eat a big fat dick

consequences are a mother fucker

Daloon
04-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Unless you're a bard PBAOE kiting for a group, prob not a good idea to root mobs 10+ levels higher on a group and then asking them to tank it.

branamil
04-29-2018, 12:22 AM
Buffs are good but people don't usually like ppl pulling for them. The group probably has their own pace, you wouldn't be able to see their party chat for mana, or AFK checks.

derpcake2
04-29-2018, 01:27 AM
yes

Patriam1066
04-29-2018, 01:34 AM
It's highkeep

Also, agree that you suck at cleric. You're leaving something out, probably the root / pulling at your pace instead of theirs as alluded to earlier in the thread. You should Rez and then go to church when you wake up since it's Sunday and you need to ask for both forgiveness and guidance

God bless

Patriam1066
04-29-2018, 01:36 AM
Oh so I left this out, I would've rezzed but I don't make mistakes so they wouldn't have asked me to leave nor would they have died so it's an absurd hypothetical

hope this helps

Foxplay
04-29-2018, 02:19 AM
Just give buffs when helping lowbies, let them do the rest.

I would rez them, being nice to ppl who get angry or hate you only makes them angrier and their nerd rage is delicious

Swish2
04-29-2018, 04:30 AM
Similar story with MM, spent time there pulling for CE on my 60 necro...would apply a dot to make the mob die fast, FD on the way to get another mob, and rinse/repeat.

A few of the group said separately in whispers that it was the fastest XP they'd had at that camp - but after about 20 minutes someone got shitty about it and said they didn't want help anymore. Might have been the group's cleric.

Some people just want to level the classic way I suppose, stick to helping guildies.

Bboboo
04-29-2018, 06:59 AM
Tbh I'd want to see the full story. You were probably doing some restarted ass shit you're not telling us and most likely caused them to die. Normally I'd side with you but having played during peak hours recently and having people KS me twice then feign ignorance when it was painfully obvious/avoidable it's hard to believe you.

Bboboo
04-29-2018, 07:01 AM
Oh so I left this out, I would've rezzed but I don't make mistakes

oh yea you were diffidently doing some restarted ass shit.

Jokesteve
04-29-2018, 07:09 AM
Similar story with MM, spent time there pulling for CE on my 60 necro...would apply a dot to make the mob die fast, FD on the way to get another mob, and rinse/repeat.

A few of the group said separately in whispers that it was the fastest XP they'd had at that camp - but after about 20 minutes someone got shitty about it and said they didn't want help anymore. Might have been the group's cleric.

Some people just want to level the classic way I suppose, stick to helping guildies.

Prolly some ALS party pooper

Canelek
04-29-2018, 12:59 PM
To the freelance rodeo clown, he was spreading joy to young people. Lighting up their impressionable faces with marvels of balloon animals. To the parents of the children, it was time to dial 911.

Frug
04-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Yeah, kinda torn on this. People like their own pace. Buffs are fine, but let it go at that. An overly helpful high level just kinda ruins some of the game for me.

<shrug> reasonable people disagree.

mr_jon3s
04-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Best thing to do is buff noobs and leave them alone.

Bloodson
04-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Meh the full story is:

I run up to FP. Undead nuke mobs below 50%. They said it stole their XP, which doesn't make sense but OK. So I leave and pull 2 mobs, separately, werebats that they were killing from the upper floors anyway. Sitting a healing making sure they are all topped off. Nobody died. They told me to F off. Later on after I had left for a quarter of an hour or so the guy dies, I had nothing to do with it. That's the full story. I understand where you guys are coming from though, that's why I left them alone. I doesn't get the point of being obnoxious about it. Is it even possible to steal XP when nuking below 50%? I was being careful. It wasn't ALS.

Bloodson
04-29-2018, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't make a rant thread if I thought I had done something wrong either, just sayin

Sacer
04-29-2018, 04:28 PM
A lot of people here don't know that nuking a mob under 50% will most likely the steal the guy for some reason.

Even if a mob is at 1% hp, if you nuke it with a spell that does more than 50% of the mob total hp you will kill steal.

Argh
04-29-2018, 04:34 PM
If a mob has 500hp and you nuke it with a spell that does 500 damage you are going to steal exp regardless of how much damage the other bozos did. The full damage of the nuke counts toward your damage done not just how much hp the mob had left.

Bboboo
04-29-2018, 05:06 PM
-OP KS mobs from lowbies
-lowbies tell OP to stop and F off (like any normal person would)
-OP gets offended
-lowbies die and ask OP for a rez (which possibly could've been caused by OP considering his understanding of how kill credit works)
-OP tells lowbies to kick rocks

Great thread, its not everyday someone name and shames themselves.

Bloodson
04-29-2018, 06:09 PM
OK :) thanks for the tip

Mead
04-29-2018, 06:56 PM
CAN'T WAIT FOR PART 2

Swish2
04-29-2018, 07:28 PM
Root tank them and nobody can complain.

Fabby
04-29-2018, 11:07 PM
As someone who also has done the bored/help newbs routine at length I would say you went about your "help" wrong. I imagine you didn't discuss this with them beforehand and just started "helping" them, which is rude. Seems they were rude to you as well when explaining they did not want this "help" so No I would not rez them. Plenty of other newbs need rezzin! in the future ask before interfering even if you're "helping". I see you want to be helpful, its just misguided. Goodluck and have fun!

Kich867
04-29-2018, 11:24 PM
I've been on the receiving end of people trying to help, and I get it, but honestly if you suck at it it's actually a massive waste of time and it's extremely frustrating. People typically end up trying to be too efficient or help too much and end up constantly kill stealing the mobs making the whole thing a waste of mine and your time.

Despite that, however, I will say that the most-damage-done mechanics are somewhat screwy. I was waiting for someone to log on to duo with so I decided to help a friend out in Kurns for a few. Their group would get mobs to ~45% and then I'd nuke it down. Both times I did this they said they didn't get XP, and I was a bit confused about how that mechanic works if that was the case, since their group did 55% of the damage how was I possibly getting kill credit for it?

I switched to just nuking it down to 15% and feigning and that solved the problem.

Mead
04-29-2018, 11:56 PM
stick to orc 1 those guys never complain about someone pulling for them

ZiggyTheMuss
04-30-2018, 01:03 AM
I've been on the receiving end of people trying to help, and I get it, but honestly if you suck at it it's actually a massive waste of time and it's extremely frustrating. People typically end up trying to be too efficient or help too much and end up constantly kill stealing the mobs making the whole thing a waste of mine and your time.

Despite that, however, I will say that the most-damage-done mechanics are somewhat screwy. I was waiting for someone to log on to duo with so I decided to help a friend out in Kurns for a few. Their group would get mobs to ~45% and then I'd nuke it down. Both times I did this they said they didn't get XP, and I was a bit confused about how that mechanic works if that was the case, since their group did 55% of the damage how was I possibly getting kill credit for it?

I switched to just nuking it down to 15% and feigning and that solved the problem.

Overkill will steal exp. You were probably using a nuke that did more than the 45% that the pet has left. I would suggest next time you figure out whatever spell you can use to do 40-45% damage first and then let the group do the rest.

Jimjam
04-30-2018, 01:58 AM

Could be you did 45%, they did 40 and damage shield did 15.

Or you over nuked; they did 55 but you did 65.

Or the mob got mem blurred and forgot about some of the damage so eq thought they did 30 and you did 45.

mcoy
04-30-2018, 09:48 AM
I've been in a similar scenario and the group seemed to have a good time. Only difference is I parked the mobs enough distance apart so that the group could focus on one at a time, and then I used proximity so the mobs only swung at me while the group beat them down on their own time.

Sometimes you get people that want to be left alone - keep an eye out for an ALS tag in the group as you'll be forcing them to leave as it's against their charter.

-Mcoy

Wonkie
did not know the overkill thing. thanks op!

Bboboo
While we're at it, could we get the over-under on the chances of this happening on red?

Rang
04-30-2018, 09:54 AM
So let me see if I got this correct. You started by KSing mobs from the FP group, then trained them with mobs from the basement, then wouldn’t rez them after they died possibly from your train? Nice man!

Ruhtar
04-30-2018, 09:54 AM
Clerics aren't PLers, so I wouldn't try to act like one. If you want to give them HB and throw out some heals, go for it, but pulling mobs and rooting them in their camp just looks like you're trying to create an obstacle course.

Mead
04-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Do whatever you want in Norrath

this is sound advice

jakerees
05-02-2018, 04:17 PM
What I like to do is go to Oasis and agro a hill giant, invis myself, and then run to the croc group and giggle as they all panic at a hill giant charging their camp with them not being able to see me. I will then engage the giant and FD when it starts to run so they can XP off it and get some fat Hill Giant loots.

I stand in awe of your greatness in being able to bring a Hill Giant all the way to Oasis as my puny understanding of mechanics in this game always made me think that mobs could not pass through zone lines, but you have turned the possible into a reality so I applaud you sir and I fully intend to bring some wurms from Great Divide to the commonlands tonight and have some fun and after that I am going to run through Permafrost and bring an army of ice goblins into guk and turn them loose on the frogs this is going to be awesome thanks

Thomacles
05-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Gotta chime in here.

OP: You did nothing wrong.

I am ALWAYS eternally grateful for people like you that step in and try to help. I always feel blessed and lucky when they do. I have NEVER been in a group that the other group members did NOT feel the same as I. If there was an EXP prob, the group shoulda just said something. Coulda been as easy as, "Hey, something is amiss as we aren't getting the exp now." Both the group and the OP could have both worked it out. Even if the group wanted no help, they coulda told the OP very nicely, as in "Hey, appreciate the help, but we are trying to do this solo as a group to work out some strategies." or "Hey, thanx for the pulls but we need our puller to get some practice in." or whatever.

PLEASE don't stop trying to help people. This game is grindy enough to start without having the feeling that, "I'm not gonna help anymore because of so-and-so reasons." I'da done a dance of joy if a high level cleric such as yourself came to help me solo, or grouped. Some people simply cannot understand a kind and generous deed when they see one. I actually have a written list of all the players that have helped me since I started this game a couple of months ago. Every cleric that took the time to come rez me, every druid that came to port me, (Free of charge, I might add, and more than one from DaP!) Every time someone went out of their way to help me, with absolutely no reason to, or personal gain for themselves. Every person that ever gave me a piece of gear I could use. (Sorry, gotta include a personal shout out to Hond, the ERU Necromancer, that gifted me a CoS and Green Silken Drape on my very first night in the game. I am eternally grateful, and I would drop everything in a heartbeat to help Hond at anytime. He may have lost some gear, but gained a fiercely loyal friend.) THAT, to me, is the real true spirit of P99. That's the way it USED to be, in the original game back then. (I know, cause I was there.) So my "list" I track, is people I owe a solid to, and I keep it by the comp at all times. When I get a tell from one on my list, if I am not grouped, I DROP what I am doing, and I go help them, in any way that I can. I still keep that list. It is to me, the list of the players that make this game as great as it is. But I do not blame you in the least for refusing to rez.

That being said.....

Had that been me as the OP, after I got the tell asking for a rez, I absolutely would have gone back to rez. And afterwards, after they were all buffed and healed, I would have told them.....

"OK, you are all good to go. I'm gonna go ahead and fuck off now, like you asked me to before when I was trying to help you all. Good luck!" ;)

Thomacles
05-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Oh, I forgot one thing. The group broke one of the Three Golden Rules to EQ:

"#2: NEVER, FOR ANY REASON, piss off the cleric. For you WILL need them someday whether you like it or not."

Kich867
05-03-2018, 05:40 PM
Could be you did 45%, they did 40 and damage shield did 15.

Or you over nuked; they did 55 but you did 65.

Or the mob got mem blurred and forgot about some of the damage so eq thought they did 30 and you did 45.

Gotcha, thanks--that was the conclusion I was expecting but wasn't sure if it was true. So overkill damage definitely affects the "percent damage done" relative to the mob's total health?

In other words, if a mob had ~400hp and I did ~300 damage to it, if a wizard walks up and Ice Comet's it I don't get XP since he does like what, 250% of it's health in one hit or so?

wagorf
05-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Tbh I'd want to see the full story. You were probably doing some restarted ass shit you're not telling us and most likely caused them to die. Normally I'd side with you but having played during peak hours recently and having people KS me twice then feign ignorance when it was painfully obvious/avoidable it's hard to believe you.

upset over losing out xp on 2 mobs, wow big deal! go get some help, or get a job.

wagorf
05-03-2018, 11:25 PM
Meh the full story is:

I run up to FP. Undead nuke mobs below 50%. They said it stole their XP, which doesn't make sense but OK. So I leave and pull 2 mobs, separately, werebats that they were killing from the upper floors anyway. Sitting a healing making sure they are all topped off. Nobody died. They told me to F off. Later on after I had left for a quarter of an hour or so the guy dies, I had nothing to do with it. That's the full story. I understand where you guys are coming from though, that's why I left them alone. I doesn't get the point of being obnoxious about it. Is it even possible to steal XP when nuking below 50%? I was being careful. It wasn't ALS.

they are upset over a mob or two getting KOS by accident, that's just sad

and the guys who said u KSed them and hence ur the douche, are equally sad

Troxx
05-04-2018, 12:06 AM
If a mob has 500hp and you nuke it with a spell that does 500 damage you are going to steal exp regardless of how much damage the other bozos did. The full damage of the nuke counts toward your damage done not just how much hp the mob had left.

This doesn’t seem like it could be accurate ... but I’ve been wrong before.

Bboboo
05-04-2018, 12:08 AM
upset over losing out xp on 2 mobs, wow big deal! go get some help, or get a job.

You seem upset, wanna talk about it?

Argh
05-04-2018, 12:27 AM
This doesn’t seem like it could be accurate ... but I’ve been wrong before.

You're wrong now.

Troxx
05-04-2018, 06:33 AM
You're wrong now.

That may be the case but I’d not take one person at their word for it. It’s easy enough to test though. Low level zone have a person bring a mob to 10-20% health and then slam a nuke larger than the mobs total hp and see who gets loot rights.

Carkle Jackson
05-04-2018, 07:22 AM

That doesn't sound right, Argh. I'll test it out when I get off off work.

Ortnit
05-04-2018, 07:33 AM
I didn't know this until very recently, but a similar thing happened to me in WC on some orcs i was tagging for faction:

An SK (lvl ~17ish) was farming belts there, i hit the mob with my 2HB Monk stick for about 250dmg at 40-45% hp and he couldn't loot the corpse.

We were talking about similar issues a bit earlier in a guild group in PoHate, namely how it is possible to get exp on raids with big nukes, even though doing less than 50% dmg to the mobs.

d3r14k
05-04-2018, 08:49 AM
"#2: NEVER, FOR ANY REASON, piss off the cleric. For you WILL need them someday whether you like it or not."

Made me think of:

Don't ever, for any reason, do anything, to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what, no matter where, or who, or who you are with, or where you are going, or where you've been, ever, for any reason whatsoever." - Michael Scott

Argh
05-04-2018, 10:35 AM
That may be the case but I’d not take one person at their word for it. It’s easy enough to test though. Low level zone have a person bring a mob to 10-20% health and then slam a nuke larger than the mobs total hp and see who gets loot rights.
That doesn't sound right, Argh. I'll test it out when I get off off work.

I just confirmed this on a puma I had a low level bring down to 4%. Notice how I did 612 damage to a mob that has 75hp.

https://i.imgur.com/0ShIfzG.png

Triiz
05-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Yeah Argh is right. It applies to any damage, not just spells. I.e. you wait till a mob gets to 49%, then melee it while the lowbie watches, but when it has 1hp left you hit it for 90 damage pushing you over the 51% damage threshold and you KS it.

Bummey
05-04-2018, 02:18 PM
When playing a lower level character it's always nice to get some help, but occasionally it can be irritating to have someone barge into your place and impose their idea of aid upon you.

Some people just don't know how to politely ask someone to leave.

Troxx
05-04-2018, 03:10 PM
I just confirmed this on a puma I had a low level bring down to 4%. Notice how I did 612 damage to a mob that has 75hp.

I stand corrected!

kudos :D

Carkle Jackson
05-07-2018, 09:53 PM

I believe you then. Curious.

Bboboo
05-07-2018, 11:06 PM
I can't imagine a person who leaves target tooltips on taking out the litter box more than 1nce per month

If you turn target tooltips off does it show what you target in logs?

If so, then yea, what the fuck dude.

Swish2
05-07-2018, 11:42 PM

Such high damage will ruin perfectly good cat pelts :(

zanderklocke
05-15-2018, 10:06 PM
I stand in awe of your greatness in being able to bring a Hill Giant all the way to Oasis as my puny understanding of mechanics in this game always made me think that mobs could not pass through zone lines, but you have turned the possible into a reality so I applaud you sir and I fully intend to bring some wurms from Great Divide to the commonlands tonight and have some fun and after that I am going to run through Permafrost and bring an army of ice goblins into guk and turn them loose on the frogs this is going to be awesome thanks

This is one of the best post replies I have seen in a long time, and I don't think anyone recognized its greatness.

Ella`Ella
05-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Is it Yanny or Laurel?