PDA

View Full Version : Playing nice with others

aMindAmok
01-25-2018, 08:17 PM
I play this game for fun. I don't give a shit about being the best whatever class I'm playing or how fucking awesome my pixels are. I just want to push buttons and murder 19 year old animations. That said, there are a number of players that are of the other extreme. They enjoy the button pushing and murdering as much as I do. But, they are the type that never learned basic social skills as a child. Their mommies probably didn't hug them enough or some shit like that. Who knows.

The problem I seem to run into isn't totaly with these people though. It is actually the people I play with on the regular. I like them a lot. They are actually very kind and knowledgeable about the game. If I run off and do something completely retarded they will come and fix it. Even if I beg them not to. Really. They are great. However, when we run into a situation where someone else has clearly done something very stupid (intentional or not) my guild mates become very aggressive.

Mind you, they have every right to be pissed off at these situations. We only get to play for 2 hours or so together and some ass-hat comes by and ruins it. Nothing like spending 1/4 or 1/2 of your available time on CRs due to no fault of your own. But this is where I diverge from my compatriots.

I have no issue with letting someone know they are a dumb ass. But, to me at least, that is enough. But for my friends it never is. They will get into /ooc or /tell and start a bitch fest with the person(s) at fault and I find it very tiresome. I try to encourage them to settle down. But they just wont have it. It's as if it becomes their personal responsibility to discipline bad actions. It is extremely irritating to me. I know some (maybe even most) of these people are genuinely being dicks and deserve a good tongue lashing. But it never seems worth the effort that is being put forth to ridicule and scold them.

It has been my experience that engaging with anyone who is being a dick is never worth it in P99. Anyone that is being a douche is doing so in order to illicit a response. Either they are trying to bully you or find a twisted satisfaction upon receiving a angry response. I can see by the wording of their responses that they are well practiced in their rebuttals and discourse. They are using the situation to try to goad someone into going to far. Some of them are really masterful at this and thus why I try to encourage my guild mates to cease talking to them. It's simply a game that they shouldn't play thus not worth the wear and tear on their keyboards.

So, my question to you is two parts. How should one deal with ass-hats that lets them know you are not going to submit to them while also not giving them the satisfaction they are clearly looking for? Also, how should I approach my friends that lets them know I love them and calms their nips when these situations arise?

skarlorn
01-25-2018, 08:24 PM
y o i'm not your therapist dawg so ur gwana hafta parse ya friendsheep outcha self fam but to deel weet da asshats ya best gwanan postdem inna RNF wid screnchots

Lemonhead
01-25-2018, 08:43 PM
OMG, I'm new to this, but ELFRNF is awesome.

indiscriminate_hater
01-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Get good

TheOutdoorNerd
01-25-2018, 09:11 PM
If your friends/guild are assholes, then maybe it's time for new friends/guild?

aMindAmok
01-25-2018, 09:35 PM
If your friends/guild are assholes, then maybe it's time for new friends/guild?

But they aren't assholes. They just over react to assholes and it's off putting sometimes.

TheOutdoorNerd
01-25-2018, 09:37 PM
But they aren't assholes. They just over react to assholes and it's off putting sometimes.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Champion_Standing
01-25-2018, 09:53 PM
You're gonna have to beat the shit out of them tbh, only solution.

Xaanka
01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
its a video game dude

katrik
01-25-2018, 10:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HC88lac.jpg

maskedmelon
01-25-2018, 10:14 PM
befriend the douches. make a game out of it. make jokes, make fun of yourself, praise them, make them laugh and make your friends laugh at the same time. disagreeable people liek the ones you describe don't respond well to direction, so manipulating their mood is better if you wanna pull harmony outta the conflict ^^

Canelek
01-25-2018, 10:41 PM
Examples? It could also be that you are overreacting.

Spyder73
01-26-2018, 12:34 AM
Learn to be a better troll than the troll. If I have learned anything from Red99ers is it constantly telling someone they are mad will inevitably make them very mad. Many high level trolls will easily shake this line of attack however. Then you need to start attacking their intelligence by calling them autistic or dumb or that they have broken brain syndrome. Very high level trolls are immune to this as well. At this point you need to tell them you are an elite hacker and threaten to doxx them and spam their RL information all over the forums. If this doesn't work challenge them to a fight IRL and harass them for being a p#ssy and being scare. Immediately following the Dox/Fite challenge go back to step one of telling them how mad they are and that they need to clam down

maskedmelon
01-26-2018, 12:40 AM
stahp giving away the seekrets for free

sorry ^^;

OP, go with spyder's advice it is better tailored to the server ^^

Pokesan
01-26-2018, 12:44 AM
Learn to be a better troll than the troll. If I have learned anything from Red99ers is it constantly telling someone they are mad will inevitably make them very mad. Many high level trolls will easily shake this line of attack however. Then you need to start attacking their intelligence by calling them autistic or dumb or that they have broken brain syndrome. Very high level trolls are immune to this as well. At this point you need to tell them you are an elite hacker and threaten to doxx them and spam their RL information all over the forums. If this doesn't work challenge them to a fight IRL and harass them for being a p#ssy and being scare. Immediately following the Dox/Fite challenge go back to step one of telling them how mad they are and that they need to clam down

so, pistols at noon?

Lhancelot
01-26-2018, 01:16 AM
Anyone that is being a douche is doing so in order to illicit a response. Either they are trying to bully you or find a twisted satisfaction upon receiving a angry response.

This is why you just offer an apology and do not respond again if the player still reacts aggressively in tells. Worst thing to do is to start a pissing contest in /ooc.

Your compatriots sound very immature. Being blunt is best sometimes instead of begging them to behave maturely tell them they sound and look as retarded as the players they are criticizing.

I suspect they will not change and you will grow weary of their negativity over time which will force you to separate from them. People rarely change, and it sounds like you already are finding out they will not stop this kind of behavior.

SiouxNation
01-26-2018, 01:20 AM
broken brain syndrome.

This is no laughing matter.

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 01:29 AM

the CIRCLE OF life

5 points to gryffindor

aMindAmok
01-26-2018, 08:44 AM
sorry ^^;

OP, go with spyder's advice it is better tailored to the server ^^

I think you might be right.

aMindAmok
01-26-2018, 08:53 AM
This is why you just offer an apology and do not respond again if the player still reacts aggressively in tells. Worst thing to do is to start a pissing contest in /ooc.

Your compatriots sound very immature. Being blunt is best sometimes instead of begging them to behave maturely tell them they sound and look as retarded as the players they are criticizing.

I suspect they will not change and you will grow weary of their negativity over time which will force you to separate from them. People rarely change, and it sounds like you already are finding out they will not stop this kind of behavior.

I suspect you are correct. I am just growing weary of the current situation. On my own and with randoms I generally follow Mellon' advice. I laugh things off/make a joke out if it. Perhaps the real problem is I don't feel like I can be fully myself around my guild mates because of their tendency to over react. It's not like this is a super common thing. It's just when it happens it gets really awkward. Maybe it is time to find new people to play with more often. Thanks.

Spyder73
01-26-2018, 11:02 AM
I suspect you are correct. I am just growing weary of the current situation. On my own and with randoms I generally follow Mellon' advice. I laugh things off/make a joke out if it. Perhaps the real problem is I don't feel like I can be fully myself around my guild mates because of their tendency to over react. It's not like this is a super common thing. It's just when it happens it gets really awkward. Maybe it is time to find new people to play with more often. Thanks.

Sounds like you have low T. In the last 3 years I can count on a couple of fingers the in game arguments or OOC battles I have been in.

1) I was sneak pulling LCY mobs via the stairwell while camped in Hands because KC had like 60 people XP in the zone and the LCY monk caught me and freaked out

2) I OOC cussed out a Bard who was swarming in CoM and monopolizing the zone

3) Couple of fairly heated Fungi King disputes when 2 groups are racing to claim the camp after a wipe or whatnot. Been on both ends of this one

Spyder73
01-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Oh and while in <Asgard> I would routinely f#ck with Chest because BDA scum lords would always try to come and do HoT at the same time we would.

kotton05
01-26-2018, 11:14 AM
/tar eye
Range attack

That’s how you stop BDA from doing hot

Tuurin
01-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Surprised nobody has said this yet- the path to greatness in conflict resolution:

-get a job where you can keep RnF open in a tab
-monitor closely for a few months/years and learn the delicate art of shit-talking
-earn your RnF merit badge
-log into p99 and wait for some novice to irritate you so you can humiliate him/her and post screenies for all to share in your emu-alpha status

Lhancelot
01-26-2018, 12:05 PM
Sounds like you have low T. In the last 3 years I can count on a couple of fingers the in game arguments or OOC battles I have been in.

1) I was sneak pulling LCY mobs via the stairwell while camped in Hands because KC had like 60 people XP in the zone and the LCY monk caught me and freaked out

2) I OOC cussed out a Bard who was swarming in CoM and monopolizing the zone

3) Couple of fairly heated Fungi King disputes when 2 groups are racing to claim the camp after a wipe or whatnot. Been on both ends of this one

His main issue isn't himself getting into it with others, he said its his pals that get into petty immature arguments that flow into open chat channels way past the point of what he is comfortable with.

He probably needs to find like-minded players that are more like him tbh. No idea what low T has to do with his situation though. :p

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Surprised nobody has said this yet- the path to greatness in conflict resolution:

-get a job where you can keep RnF open in a tab
-monitor closely for a few months/years and learn the delicate art of shit-talking
-earn your RnF merit badge
-log into p99 and wait for some novice to irritate you so you can humiliate him/her and post screenies for all to share in your emu-alpha status

i don't often reveal the path to greatness except through murky shitposting

Pokesan
01-26-2018, 12:20 PM
a shaman tried to take my brute camp so i killed them all and logged out

Wfrench1234
01-26-2018, 09:12 PM
His main issue isn't himself getting into it with others, he said its his pals that get into petty immature arguments that flow into open chat channels way past the point of what he is comfortable with.

He probably needs to find like-minded players that are more like him tbh. No idea what low T has to do with his situation though. :p

This makes perfect sense but unfortunately you’re appplying real life thinking to rants and flames. I’m sure you’ll be called a cuck soon enough but I’d just like to say “I concur” before this spirals into something absurd.

aMindAmok
01-26-2018, 10:01 PM

Thanks for being real. TBH it is just a game. These are the people that I started playing with soon after joining the server. The are generally good and decent people. It was only these rare occasions that it has been an issue. I don't think they are particularly immature. Given the general discourse on these forums I would say they act very mature comparative to some.

I appreciate the advice. I don't desire to split with them. It was just something weighing on my mind. The situation will eventually arise again where people are not playing nicely. That is the nature of p99. Eventually you will find yourself in areas that have a high chance of douchebaggery. I was simply seeking advice.

Lhancelot
01-26-2018, 11:50 PM
Thanks for being real. TBH it is just a game. These are the people that I started playing with soon after joining the server. The are generally good and decent people. It was only these rare occasions that it has been an issue. I don't think they are particularly immature. Given the general discourse on these forums I would say they act very mature comparative to some.

I appreciate the advice. I don't desire to split with them. It was just something weighing on my mind. The situation will eventually arise again where people are not playing nicely. That is the nature of p99. Eventually you will find yourself in areas that have a high chance of douchebaggery. I was simply seeking advice.

Yeah, people tend to do as the Romans do, per se. Maybe your pals just think reacting the way they do is what people do here.

I aint saying your pals are bad people either.

Everyone has different tolerances for different things. Doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong, people simply can be different.