PDA

View Full Version : What's your excuse?

skarlorn
01-24-2018, 01:39 PM
What do you tell yourself at the end of an 8 hour play window?

How do you rationalize your gaming lifestyle as something which is acceptable to your expectations of yourself?

I want to know what your excuse is.

I'll start...

My excuse is that FORUMQUEST doesn't really take THAT much time (( ;) )) and that it's a good way to take a mental break from my heavy focus/INT based job.

smitho1984
01-24-2018, 01:40 PM
i only play at work, and since i work by myself and do basically nothing i get paid to play.

mickmoranis
01-24-2018, 02:26 PM
the correct answer is "welp time to log out of my better life so i can do a quick sleep in my shittier life."

Raavak
01-24-2018, 02:31 PM
Maybe Norrath is the real world and the rest is just a dream.

khysanth
01-24-2018, 02:42 PM
I had bad pixel addiction back in 2009-2011ish. Got super immersed then took a big break.

Came back and played almost exclusively from work (actual office job) for all of 2015-2017. Didn't play much from home at all. I was happy. Wife was happy.

Haven't logged in for some time now though.

Mead
01-24-2018, 02:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/rCmzOkT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

SiouxNation
01-24-2018, 03:41 PM
The drive by media

Tenderizer
01-24-2018, 03:45 PM
8 hours? Thats kinda weak. 18 hours minimum before contemplating.

Spyder73
01-24-2018, 03:56 PM
When I play video games from noon to midnight on a Saturday I justify it by telling myself that I work hard and its nice to run my brain off, listen to music, and mindlessly grind. I tell my GF that if I didn't game I would be ouot drinking/whoring and she seems to believe me and actually encourages my addictions.

I also convince myself that the alternatives are not that great - going out with my friends or shopping or whatever else I would be doing that day is simply just not worth my time so the 10 hour video game binge is completely OK.

Its a self delusion, and from time to time I feel ashamed at the end of a long binge when I realize I have not walked out of the house the entire day. More often than not I am just psych'd about my levels or loot or whatever other temporary goal I achieved.

skarlorn
01-24-2018, 03:58 PM
so tell us your excuse on an 18 hour bender.

I, for one, used to do those days sometimes. I was very very stoned on pot and perhaps drinking wild TUrkey 101 a lot so I didn't have enough super-ego active to judge myself. I was just hyped to get 60 or get my dragon pixels.

At my absolute neckbeardiest, when i was raiding and holding down both Tranix and Drusella with a cleric friend, I was too blinded by my ever increasing fortune to make excuses.

But that was also the last time i really played EQ hard.

Spyder73
01-24-2018, 04:07 PM
The shame for me is greatest when I end up playing really shitty games for very long periods of time. For example - ArmorGames.com - tower defense games are a past time for me when I am burned out on EQ/WOW/D3/OVerwatch/Whatever. So I will sit and play Monkey Balloon Tower Defense 5 for 4 hours at a time. Or I will load my Zelda Classic and start running through custom quests only to realize I've been doing it for 5 hours straight.

WoW is actually great because you simply run out of sh!t to do and it has self imposed daily and weekly timers to keep you from wasting your life away. It just gets kind of boring and the 'thrill of pixels' is not nearly as great as it is in EQ. There is a medium between WOW and EQ (Final Fantasy Online almost it it) that would make the P99 community very happy

Spyder73
01-24-2018, 04:09 PM
The shame for me is greatest when I end up playing really shitty games for very long periods of time.

Perfect example is my new Avatar - I took a SS when I received Agni playing on my SNES emulator a couple of weeks ago (Breath of Fire). I sat for 5 or 6 hours and beat the entire game in one sitting.

Sonderbeast
01-24-2018, 04:13 PM
I don't need an excuse for what I do for entertainment as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and doesn't break any laws. The inference is flawed.

skarlorn
01-24-2018, 04:30 PM
Perfect example is my new Avatar - I took a SS when I received Agni playing on my SNES emulator a couple of weeks ago (Breath of Fire). I sat for 5 or 6 hours and beat the entire game in one sitting.

please don't compare Breath of Fire (one of best games ever) to tower defense.

danzig
01-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Breath of Fire III has some kick ass smooth jazz music.

Nagoya
01-24-2018, 06:20 PM
i spend way too much time on the forum/wiki cause i don't actually have time to play cause i have a baby etc.

however i have no good excuse. this is just a terrible addiction and we should all get banned for our own sanity.

Lhancelot
01-24-2018, 11:50 PM
i spend way too much time on the forum/wiki cause i don't actually have time to play cause i have a baby etc.

however i have no good excuse. this is just a terrible addiction and we should all get banned for our own sanity.

Hard to believe Tim Curry is 71 years old now.

Rocky Horror Picture Show was awesome, I used to go see it at a theatre which played it every Friday night and people actually acted out the movie as the movie played.

The best part was when the wedding took place because movie goers came equipped with bags of rice which they slung all over the place, rice was thrown at everyone and everything. :)

Nagoya
01-25-2018, 12:36 AM
heh -- i did exactly that in paris in 2006 for about one year.
every saturday night i was frank'n'furter, on stage, in front of the movie.
it was a very nice year of my life.
didn't play much EQ at that time!

Lhancelot
01-25-2018, 01:15 AM
heh -- i did exactly that in paris in 2006 for about one year.
every saturday night i was frank'n'furter, on stage, in front of the movie.
it was a very nice year of my life.
didn't play much EQ at that time!

Haha nice. That takes balls to do that I could never perform live like that. :)

XeroKill
01-25-2018, 08:08 AM
I don't... I just do what I want to do because I am an adult and life isn't worth being serious about. You are going to die and the Universe will never know you existed.

Wfrench1234
01-25-2018, 08:13 AM
I had a “moment” a few months ago. I can’t play long sessions because I have a pregnant wife and a 3 year old but when I WAS logging on I spent every moment in the sarnak fort trying to get a bracer of the hidden. I spent over two weeks there and never got one. I did make about 3k in vendor trash and got 5-6 chodiki prods, and essentially could have bought the bracer outright at that point, but I was too proud. Took 2 month or so break to re-evaluate why I was playing. Came back because I like my guild a lot.

bspa0700
01-25-2018, 08:17 AM
Justify?

I'm absolutely crushing my career, live in one of the greatest cities on the planet, and literally in spare time log on to help win dragons in aftermath.

Play smarter, not harder.

-Conda

SiouxNation
01-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Justify?

I'm absolutely crushing my career, live in one of the greatest cities on the planet, and literally in spare time log on to help win dragons in aftermath.

-Conda

maskedmelon
01-25-2018, 09:34 AM
ive been struggling to play lately and haven't played (anything) at all for several months. ive never felt bad about playing though. if I'm not having fun, i don't play. if i don't want to invest blocks of time (current situation) i don't play. just bought Skylanders Imaginators and am having a little fun with that :3 you can make your own fricken skylander and unlock all sortsa different looks and stuff as you play ^^

Sloshed
01-25-2018, 10:08 AM
I had a “moment” a few months ago. I can’t play long sessions because I have a pregnant wife and a 3 year old but when I WAS logging on I spent every moment in the sarnak fort trying to get a bracer of the hidden. I spent over two weeks there and never got one. I did make about 3k in vendor trash and got 5-6 chodiki prods, and essentially could have bought the bracer outright at that point, but I was too proud. Took 2 month or so break to re-evaluate why I was playing. Came back because I like my guild a lot.

Stuff like that really triggers my OCD. I about lost my mind trying to camp sarnak courier for a ring recently.

Lhancelot
01-25-2018, 10:14 AM
Games are an escape. Sure, games are fun but ask a drug addict why they do their drugs and they will say "because it feels good" not that they are escaping.

I found in the past console games seem much less addictive than MMOs though. I tended to play consoles, got bored by 3-4 hours and could go a day without playing.

MMOs tend to latch you in and refuse to let you go.

maskedmelon
01-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Games are an escape. Sure, games are fun but ask a drug addict why they do their drugs and they will say "because it feels good" not that they are escaping.

I found in the past console games seem much less addictive than MMOs though. I tended to play consoles, got bored by 3-4 hours and could go a day without playing.

MMOs tend to latch you in and refuse to let you go.

i agree with this. i don't play console games because i don't find anything fun by myself. there gotta be people for it to be entertaining. i also enjoy interacting with new people in new ways and rl doesn't really accommodate that.

with online games, were i not bound by duty, i could very easily remain logged in indefinitely. i don't feel bad about this and am not really sure why i should, though it does sadden me to an extent that other things don't work similarly well for me or that my interests don't more closely align with other people's.

Lemonhead
01-25-2018, 06:17 PM

"A moment has passed. The flickering lives of men have come and gone. Their lives have changed through suffering and victory. The mountain is unchanging....."

"But in the end, the Norrathians know, there is no difference between the mountain and the man....The mountain is Norrath.... The men are Norrath.... The inter-reality of all things....IS The Norrath."

"And the rest is only a dream"

skarlorn
01-25-2018, 06:25 PM
I don't... I just do what I want to do because I am an adult and life isn't worth being serious about. You are going to die and the Universe will never know you existed.

Your existence is a means for the Universe to experience itself.

skarlorn
01-25-2018, 06:39 PM
https://i.imgur.com/wBS0y0l.jpg

=)

SiouxNation
01-25-2018, 06:58 PM
The biggest sign of a nerd who thinks he accomplished something in a game : Listing his character as a signature.

Pathetic.

What about a neck tattoo with a characters name, that seems like a bigger sign.

skarlorn
01-25-2018, 07:17 PM

lol

what about naming yourself off of a 90s anime series gundum wing

Lemonhead
01-25-2018, 07:22 PM
There's some serious Buddhist, Saganian, ummm other stuff going on here.

I doubt any of you guys play, but who wants to start a cult in game.

Lhancelot
01-25-2018, 07:33 PM

What about a neck tattoo with a forum account name, that would be awesome too right? :)

Wfrench1234
01-25-2018, 07:53 PM
The biggest sign of a nerd who thinks he accomplished something in a game : Listing his character as a signature.

Pathetic.

Equally pathetic would be spewing shitty takes in anonymity

Lhancelot
01-25-2018, 07:54 PM
I think we can all agree we are all equally pathetic!

Lemonhead
01-25-2018, 08:00 PM
I think we can all agree we are all equally pathetic!

That is unequatable. Patheticism is a spectrum. Some are by choice. Some are unknowingly. Some are in between. We all have a path in this world.

I choose not to know.

skarlorn
01-25-2018, 08:08 PM

so your excuse is you have no friends IRL

skarlorn
01-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Justify?

-Conda

excuse is you are using EQ as a way to blow off some steam in your valuable entertainment time and it's healthy and balanced

n1 man n1

Pokesan
01-25-2018, 08:32 PM
There's some serious Buddhist, Saganian, ummm other stuff going on here.

I doubt any of you guys play, but who wants to start a cult in game.

already did this on the forums

Lemonhead
01-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Your existence is a means for the Norrath to experience itself.

Of course!

With out you, Norrath doesn't exist. If a Vulak drops a Mask and no one is there to loot it, was there a Vulak at all? In these sleepless times, we must all ask ourselves, What's your excuse?

As I see it there are 3 types:

1- The Sleepless: The sleepless believe in a perfect world. They see life as it is, as how it should be. All pain and suffering is a necessary cause for the greater good. And the good is how it has been, always.

2- The Awakened: The awakened believe in an imperfect world. They see life as it could be. All pain and suffering can be eliminated through effort. They believe we can make a better world.

3- The Agnostic: Now, the agnostic are the most interesting bunch, I think. They see the world as uninteresting, even if beautiful. Norrath is a means for their thoughts to exist. They live very much within themselves. Their minds wander through the fields of the Karanas, unaware of the problems in far away lands.

#Norrathproblems

Lemonhead
01-25-2018, 08:38 PM
already did this on the forums

Damnit. The leaders get all the loot.

Wfrench1234
01-25-2018, 08:39 PM
so your excuse is you have no friends IRL

How exactly did you arrive at this answer? Please show your work.

skarlorn
01-25-2018, 08:47 PM
no

ten points to SLYTHERIN

Lemonhead
01-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Please show your work.

I don't think there's any math in RNF, only contrived logic of twisted minds.

Soooo, 10-0.

Wfrench1234
01-25-2018, 09:01 PM
no

ten points to SLYTHERIN

So lazy and uninspired. I guess when you post thirty times in every thread your quality is going to suffer.

Lemonhead
01-25-2018, 09:08 PM
10-10

A contrived, twisted mind is no excuse for laziness.

Champion_Standing
01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
I haven't played in 3 years or so I just come to RnF occasionally to make sure you degenerates are still making me proud. You are btw.

Cecily
01-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Thanks

skarlorn
01-25-2018, 11:06 PM
So lazy and uninspired. I guess when you post thirty times in every thread your quality is going to suffer.

As a hyper-intelligent person, I have discarded the notion that I must bring clarity to the minds of "Mud Men." Seek wisdom in your own words and do not expect me to bring meaning to your existence.

Hope this helps things clear up for you Mud man!!!!!!!

Wfrench1234
01-26-2018, 12:20 AM
As a hyper-intelligent person, I have discarded the notion that I must bring clarity to the minds of "Mud Men." Seek wisdom in your own words and do not expect me to bring meaning to your existence.

Hope this helps things clear up for you Mud man!!!!!!!

Hyper-intelligent but can’t explain himself and has to change the subject to avoid doing so.

Makes sweeping, unfounded statements and then calls others “mud men”.

Sounds like hyper something but I’m not sure it’s intelligence? It matters not ; many fine books have been written in prison.

Spyder73
01-26-2018, 12:25 AM
Skarlorn has brain rot from prolonged pixel exposure, keep that in mind when you read his posts and everything becomes crystal clear

Lemonhead
01-26-2018, 12:45 AM
Us Mud Men run this world, sucker.

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 01:07 AM
Hyper-intelligent but can’t explain himself and has to change the subject to avoid doing so.

Makes sweeping, unfounded statements and then calls others “mud men”.

Sounds like hyper something but I’m not sure it’s intelligence? It matters not ; many fine books have been written in prison.

nerve struck

SiouxNation
01-26-2018, 01:17 AM
What about a neck tattoo with a forum account name, that would be awesome too right? :)

Next level nerdery.

Wfrench1234
01-26-2018, 01:22 AM
nerve struck

Lol. Yeah you got me. I’m butthurt alright!

Wfrench1234
01-26-2018, 01:27 AM
Sorry, I don't use "signatures" like a dumb piece of shit. I have a forum name. It says my name for all to see. Only A mentally challenged idiot would go "just in case no one saw my name headling my post, I'll leave a signature that may or may not mean anything. Duuur ha!"

I'm sorry you feel wasting time on a game is signature worthy.

Don’t think anything is “signature worthy”. Quite simply my forum handle is different than my in game name. A lot of the pillow biters on this forum like to snipe at people anonymously; I list my character name so when we talk about the game on a forum for a game, people know who the person saying it actually is in game.

You seem pretty upset about the whole signature thing though, is it because you have no accomplishments to add to the end of your posts? How about “Most likely to run backwards naked through a corn field”?

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 01:33 AM
It's okay to feel alone!

Wfrench1234
01-26-2018, 01:38 AM
It's okay to feel alone!

Clearly I’m up against someone with a masters degree in psychology so I will just respectfully bow out before your cunning words cause my synapses to randomly fire in an order that causes me to melt down. I would hate to eat a ban and rob myself of such fine dissertation.

rollin5k
01-26-2018, 02:11 AM
using up pillow biter that early on was a huge misstep

Lulz~Sect
01-26-2018, 03:58 AM
2010-2012 | I played at work
2012-2013 | Long unemployment stint when I stole a house/Jeep/chancellor Obama bucks/neglected ex GF/etc
2014 | I played at work (tho exponentially less than first line item)
Post 2014 | Barely able to bring myself to login anymore 😔

Lemonhead
01-26-2018, 04:07 AM
using up pillow biter that early on was a huge misstep

He's right. This shall not stand! If you will not speak, I will speak for you!

Filbus Furryfoot....You stand accused!

You used to be a great Hobbit. You used to lead the Mud Men. Now you abuse the Mud Men. Just LOOK! Look what you've done! They are directionless, without hope, cower to simplest of adversity. What happened to you?

The Mud Men need you Filbus. Can't you see that?

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 12:12 PM
i see that but also i decline the task. thank you!

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 03:19 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WuqSFhY.png

quick question #2 for mockba - what do YOU tell yourself every day???

azeth
01-26-2018, 03:41 PM
its not how MUCH you play that starts to rustle your self-feels... its WHEN you play.

that batphone going off at 2am starts to make you question your self-worth around age 25+.

30+... YIKES

Spyder73
01-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Sorry, I don't use "signatures" like a dumb piece of shit. I have a forum name. It says my name for all to see. Only A mentally challenged idiot would go "just in case no one saw my name headling my post, I'll leave a signature that may or may not mean anything. Duuur ha!"

Holy smokes dude. Did you just walk in on your brother f#cking your wife or something? You sure are throwing a lot of stones for someone who's forum name is an homage to one the gayest anime series of all time. You should have just made your name Charizard and gone full retard instead of riding the razors edge in the way that you are. Stern cringe in your direction sir

Rivera
01-26-2018, 04:28 PM
Holy smokes dude. Did you just walk in on your brother f#cking your wife or something? You sure are throwing a lot of stones for someone who's forum name is an homage to one the gayest anime series of all time. You should have just made your name Charizard and gone full retard instead of riding the razors edge in the way that you are. Stern cringe in your direction sir he's had some pretty terrible posts the last few weeks tbh..

Heebs13
01-26-2018, 04:33 PM
8 hours? You gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers.

Heebs13
01-26-2018, 04:35 PM
Holy smokes dude. Did you just walk in on your brother f#cking your wife or something? You sure are throwing a lot of stones for someone who's forum name is an homage to one the gayest anime series of all time. You should have just made your name Charizard and gone full retard instead of riding the razors edge in the way that you are. Stern cringe in your direction sir

Hey man, I liked Gundam Wing. I was like 14 though when it was on Toonami so for all I know if I re-watched it now it would suck.

Wfrench1234
01-26-2018, 04:37 PM

This is what I meant to say. I’m not as eloquent.

Barkingturtle
01-26-2018, 05:12 PM
I can't play MMO's for more than an hour or two at a time, anymore. Turns out I don't really like gamers. At my worst in like 2000 I would maybe play four or five hour sessions, a couple days a week. Never too serious. Never dedicated enough to raid in EQ, and only a handful of times in WoW.

Civ 5, though, still threatens to seize control and torpedo my life at any moment. My only excuse is that I am trying to build a better world.

Lhancelot
01-26-2018, 05:16 PM
I can't play MMO's for more than an hour or two at a time, anymore. Turns out I don't really like gamers. At my worst in like 2000 I would maybe play four or five hour sessions, a couple days a week. Never too serious. Never dedicated enough to raid in EQ, and only a handful of times in WoW.

Civ 5, though, still threatens to seize control and torpedo my life at any moment. My only excuse is that I am trying to build a better world.

Yeah only thing I miss about SWTOR is killing other players. All that hatred of gamers sure is fun unloading onto them in the game!

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 05:30 PM
its not how MUCH you play that starts to rustle your self-feels... its WHEN you play.

that batphone going off at 2am starts to make you question your self-worth around age 25+.

30+... YIKES

yeah I stopped hitting the batphones at age 24 myself pal good numbers here, these check out.

8 hours? You gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers.
lol

Lulz~Sect
01-26-2018, 05:36 PM
I have only ever been bat-phoned for pussy 😏👌🏽
Checkmate cucks

radda
01-26-2018, 05:39 PM
I have only ever been bat-phoned for dick 😏👌🏽
Checkmate cucks

FTFY

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 05:43 PM
2010-2012 | I played at work
2012-2013 | Long unemployment stint when I stole a house/Jeep/chancellor Obama bucks/neglected ex GF/etc

[QUOTE=Lulz~Sect;2646349
Checkmate cucks[/QUOTE]

Lulz~Sect
01-26-2018, 05:48 PM
For a year I lived in a lake house and drove a Jeep for free
All I did was fuck my big tittied gf during EQ breaks
Was a beautiful time in my life

Today I work on Wall Street and live in a penthouse apartment

Sorry you’re upset Harry Potter is a children’s tale

skarlorn
01-26-2018, 05:52 PM
cocaine

Lulz~Sect
01-26-2018, 05:57 PM
that part of my life is also behind me

NEXT

Champion_Standing
01-27-2018, 01:19 PM
For a year I lived in a lake house and drove a Jeep for free
All I did was fuck my big tittied gf during EQ breaks
Was a beautiful time in my life

Today I work on Wall Street and live in a penthouse apartment

Sorry you’re upset Harry Potter is a children’s tale

Proud of you kid

Lulz~Sect
01-28-2018, 10:23 AM
it’s been a long journey elfpal :o

Jimjam
01-28-2018, 04:05 PM
A person who has made heavy use of cocaine no longer has a sliding scale of anger, it instead works as a trip switch where you have two states; normal and then fucking livid.

You never get past cocaine, even when you stop using it.

As for me? I take what I can get when I want it and when it is convenient.

Being an adult there are a lot of priorities higher up than EQ, but forumquest is great as you can dip in and out, sperging as needed.

skarlorn
01-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Being an adult there are a lot of priorities higher up than EQ, but forumquest is great as you can dip in and out, sperging as needed.

EpicAdventure
01-28-2018, 05:09 PM
eq fun

kotton05
01-28-2018, 05:10 PM

use to read word up magazine!

Lhancelot
01-28-2018, 05:37 PM
Salt'n'Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine

https://i.imgur.com/3SrrQaf.jpg

RIP Heavy D

Lulz~Sect
01-28-2018, 07:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CiDDTPy.jpg?1

Lhancelot
01-28-2018, 08:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CiDDTPy.jpg?1

<3 Steve Buscemi!

skarlorn
01-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Reality check: there's hundreds of people who are logged into Project 1999 Everquest right now and have been logged in all day (Sunday, the day of our Lord).

If you wake up tomorrow and log in, or crave the Game at your job... please write in and let us know...

What's your excuse??

Lulz~Sect
01-28-2018, 09:03 PM
insert creation of 24hrs of homoerot Ca felf fiction here

Utmost
01-30-2018, 03:38 PM
After Trazzle destroyed <Divinity> He set his sights on <Rustle> and it looked fun so I decided to join and watch him weave his magic.

Once I witnessed the master ply his craft I was overcome with feelings of inadequacy. I had to step back. So I secluded myself to Old Sebilis and log in there just to make sure no guildies or anyone on friends list is actually online. This is all around Jan 2017.

The feels still pull but I now play more golf and have realigned my winter priorities to Les Pauling at a high level. Is any of that an excuse?

Lulz~Sect
01-31-2018, 10:43 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Jb3umBQ.gif

Spyder73
01-31-2018, 11:04 AM