PDA

View Full Version : Moderation

nemethor
03-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey guys,

I tend to lose track of time whenever I log on and have a hard time juggling EQ with my other obligations.

Do you have any tips on how to enjoy EQ without letting it infringe on your quality of life?

What techniques do you use to limit your playtime?

Thanks!

Extunarian
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
I only can play in peace if my girlfriend is in a good mood. Me playing eq puts her in a bad mood. Pretty simple.

Hoggen
03-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Set an alarm clock if you can't just look at the time on your own. Solo, and don't group, unless you have a large block of time available.

Massive Marc
03-04-2011, 02:27 PM
INCOMING TROLLZ

darkblade717
03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey guys,

I tend to lose track of time whenever I log on and have a hard time juggling EQ with my other obligations.

Do you have any tips on how to enjoy EQ without letting it infringe on your quality of life?

Thanks!

If you're using the standard Titanium UI an alarm feature pops up every time you log on. Set it for when you want to stop playing, or should at least take a break and reassess reality.

Messianic
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
INCOMING TROLLZ

Yeah, this thread is like a wounded buck in the middle of a shooting range.

Cool to see people actually posting helpful stuff tho :D

Myrkskog
03-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Discipline.

YendorLootmonkey
03-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks!

As someone who was in your shoes the first time around in 99 to 03...

Don't let the game control your life. It's not the end of the world if you don't get level 32592 or get the Uber Sword of +5 Penis Growth. In the end it doesn't matter. The priority should be "leveling up in real life". Otherwise you're going to eventually regret wasting the best years of your life in front of a computer over digital trinkets and shit that no one will care about in 2-3 years.

corradojeff
03-05-2011, 11:55 AM
The best way is to just put everything else first. Play EQ when there is nothing left to do.

I work 10.5 hour days. After work I hit the gym. I get home about an hour and half before my girl does so I log on EQ. When she gets home I go afk and greet her and kiss her and ask her about her day and all that shit that women care about then I go back to EQ for a bit. I log off or go AFK if possible and cook dinner for her. I play another hour or two after dinner and then I log off for the night and we usually get about 1-3 hours of "quality time" usually in front of the TV enjoying one of her shitty fucking girl shows.

On my days off it's even easier. I usually clean the house and take care of chores/errands as fast as possible that way you are not neglecting your responsibilities and you’re a good boyfriend/husband cause you're pitching in around the house. I play EQ if there is NOTHING else to do.

I one main rule is I only play if EQ as a lack of a better option. I never put off going out with my girl or friends to play EQ. I never put off obligations or other important things just to play EQ.

Even will all that I still find quite a bit of time to play and have several 46+ characters with decent gear so it isn't as difficult as it seems.

Good luck!

Panik
03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Man your setting yourself up for failure... ^^^

She is supposed to clean the house and make dinner. Not the man !!!

Maurk
03-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Don't let the game control your life. It's not the end of the world if you don't get level 32592 or get the Uber Sword of +5 Penis Growth. In the end it doesn't matter. The priority should be "leveling up in real life". Otherwise you're going to eventually regret wasting the best years of your life in front of a computer over digital trinkets and shit that no one will care about in 2-3 years.

solid

XDrake
03-05-2011, 01:40 PM
A strong marriage and family < Dying alone with your 60 Necromancer W/ Epic

Tillan
03-05-2011, 04:12 PM
The best way is to just put everything else first. Play EQ when there is nothing left to do.

I work 10.5 hour days. After work I hit the gym. I get home about an hour and half before my girl does so I log on EQ. When she gets home I go afk and greet her and kiss her and ask her about her day and all that shit that women care about then I go back to EQ for a bit. I log off or go AFK if possible and cook dinner for her. I play another hour or two after dinner and then I log off for the night and we usually get about 1-3 hours of "quality time" usually in front of the TV enjoying one of her shitty fucking girl shows.

On my days off it's even easier. I usually clean the house and take care of chores/errands as fast as possible that way you are not neglecting your responsibilities and you’re a good boyfriend/husband cause you're pitching in around the house. I play EQ if there is NOTHING else to do.

I one main rule is I only play if EQ as a lack of a better option. I never put off going out with my girl or friends to play EQ. I never put off obligations or other important things just to play EQ.

Even will all that I still find quite a bit of time to play and have several 46+ characters with decent gear so it isn't as difficult as it seems.

Good luck!

didn't read.

On another note; EQ (especially on an emulated server) should take priority over all your other matters. Especially family, as wives are a waste of time and are only for men who cling to the first woman to have sex with them.

Ways to adapt:
-Get blown WHILE playing EQ
-Don't have friends
-Girlfriends are optional. If she doesn't play EQ; on on to the next.
-Sex is great, but fleshlights really make up for not having a girl around. GET ONE
-Play no other games.
-Only play rangers as they level up fastest.

Hope this helps!

maegi
03-05-2011, 09:34 PM
rangers level up fastest? Pass that pipe over here cuz i wanna be as high as you bro

SlankyLanky
03-06-2011, 03:54 AM
rangers level up fastest? Pass that pipe over here cuz i wanna be as high as you bro

way to pick up on the sarcasm. idiot.

Kassel
03-06-2011, 04:14 AM

lol are you really an idiot or do you just play one on the internet?

nemethor
03-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I wound up uninstalling. Pretty bummed because I love this game. I just can't strike a balance between EQ and a happy, balanced life. Maybe I'll reinstall when I get some downtime after I finish the feature documentary I'm directing. Thanks for the advice!

Toehammer
03-06-2011, 03:19 PM

This is totally wrong. I still have an Uber Sword of +5 Penis Growth, prenerf from classic. My life has improved dramatically.

-Ghwerig

Labyrrinth
03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I wound up uninstalling. Pretty bummed because I love this game. I just can't strike a balance between EQ and a happy, balanced life. Maybe I'll reinstall when I get some downtime after I finish the feature documentary I'm directing. Thanks for the advice!

And I'm a young doctor

bizzum
03-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Otherwise you're going to eventually regret wasting the best years of your life in front of a computer over digital trinkets and shit that no one will care about in 2-3 years.

However, people might begin to care about those trinkets again after 10 years, so be sure to keep them around!

nemethor
03-06-2011, 08:50 PM
And I'm a young doctor

good one!

Messianic
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Good you were able to make the choice. Some people shouldn't touch alcohol - they simply lose control. I know guys who lost control over video games and played them endlessly instead of doing RL stuff.

Do what matters first - then you can actually enjoy EQ instead of feeling guilty that you're not doing what you know you should be doing.

Harrison
03-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I've always said,"If you can't handle videogames just kill yourself now and get it over with."

You are a disaster waiting to happen if you can't muster the willpower for pulling yourself away from a fucking game.

Bodeanicus
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I've always said,"If you can't handle videogames just kill yourself now and get it over with."

You are a disaster waiting to happen if you can't muster the willpower for pulling yourself away from a fucking game.

True. You cope by being a pathological liar. You're so tough, sweetpea. Off to Iraq soon?

Gorgetrapper
03-08-2011, 07:18 PM
True. You cope by being a pathological liar. You're so tough, sweetpea. Off to Iraq soon?

You couldn't be more wrong. Most, if not all, current units on route to deploy are no longer going to Iraq, but Afghanistan instead.

nemethor
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I have a couple of friends who have been playing video games in excess for years. Every time I bring up the topic of moderation, they react very defensively and often make the claim that since I'm talking about moderation, I'm more addicted to video games than they are. I find this to be a strange claim for a couple of reasons. First of all, I play video games a lot less than they do which makes perfect sense considering that I'm honest to myself about myself and I actively seek balance in my life. What's your highest level character, Harrison? Secondly, reacting defensively and hurling accusations when someone brings up the subject of moderation automatically raises red flags. When people make lifestyle choices that contradict your own, it forces you to confront your unhealthy lifestyle choices.

In any case, Harrison, you're welcome to judge me. I place zero emphasis on your approval.

Harrison
03-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I have a couple of friends who have been playing video games in excess for years. Every time I bring up the topic of moderation, they react very defensively and often make the claim that since I'm talking about moderation, I'm more addicted to video games than they are. I find this to be a strange claim for a couple of reasons. First of all, I play video games a lot less than they do which makes perfect sense considering that I'm honest to myself about myself and I actively seek balance in my life. What's your highest level character, Harrison? Secondly, reacting defensively and hurling accusations when someone brings up the subject of moderation automatically raises red flags. When people make lifestyle choices that contradict your own, it forces you to confront your unhealthy lifestyle choices.

In any case, Harrison, you're welcome to judge me. I place zero emphasis on your approval.

Another "Forum Freud" who doesn't care, but here's your wall of text about how much you don't care about my evaluation of your pathetic "addiction" and your inability to resist.

I especially lol'd at the "What's your highest level character, Harrison?"

Harrison
03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. Most, if not all, current units on route to deploy are no longer going to Iraq, but Afghanistan instead.

Don't worry, he knows more about my life than we do. lol!

Bruno
03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Discipline.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bodeanicus
03-09-2011, 01:05 AM

No shit, Sherlock. So when's your bro shipping out? Oh, wait a minute, he ain't! There's way too much raiding going on!

nemethor
03-09-2011, 02:14 AM
lulz. harrison tries so hard. anyone have any ideas about what he's trying to compensate for?

Messianic
03-09-2011, 08:55 AM

You are a disaster waiting to happen if you can't muster the willpower for pulling yourself away from a game.

People have different propensities and flaws. Some people can't control their drinking or family relationships but don't bat an eye at having the discipline to wake up at 4am and workout for 2-3 hours a day.

A propensity to addiction to video games doesn't immediately render them incapable of good things in other areas.

It also doesn't necessarily mean they don't just need to learn how to control themselves and have some form of discipline and structure - but sometimes that's just either incredibly difficult or impossible. People aren't the same.

But this IS R/F/NSFW, and here, most people come for amusement or to degrade others for self-gratification - so they're unlikely to recognize or care about the difference. People who admit faults are like fresh meat around here.

nemethor
03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Right on, Messianic. There were a couple of trolls but a lot of people posted sincere responses. It feels good to have quit for the time being. Granted, I still crave it every now and then, but cravings pass after a little while, and this forum is a pretty good distraction. I've been more focused at work, exercising a lot more (started doing the Spartacus workout--highly recommend it), and spending more time with my friends and family. Life is great!

Harrison
03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Lol what a failure

"I've been more focused at work, exercising a lot more..."

All because of EQ? /wrist