PDA

View Full Version : Some tips about player services.

Hauling
02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
First off, I didn't know where to put this, but this is kind of a rant, because most of what I'm about to address is the result of a lot of my time being wasted or me just being annoyed. Anyway, I'll just get right into it.

A sow is a convenience. I'm happy to sow everyone all day long as long as it doesn't inconvenience me. If I see a slow person run by, I'll stop and sow them. I will not however go out of my way to track you down and sow you, especially not in a large zone where it means 5-10 minutes out of my gaming time. I want to play the game too.

My first tip: Buy a sow potion and keep it in the bank. That way you have a sow for the corpse run at any time you need it. If a sow potion is too much, keep 10-20 plat in the bank instead. The point is, if I'm going out of my way for you, please make it worth my time.

A note about other buffs in general: if I'm not offering them, please don't ask for them. A full set of druid buffs takes a good chunk of mana. That's time that I have to spend medding to get back. The same holds true for other classes' buffs I'm sure too. Especially for some of the buffs that take reagents to cast, because not only are you asking for the player's time, you're asking for their money too.

Also, if I'm in EC, chances are I'm trying to buy, sell or just conduct business in general, which means personal tells asking for sows/buffs/ports are very disruptive. Now if I'm there, I generally have the mana and I don't mind at all to sow/buff you, but please ask in a say. That way I don't have to dig through a bunch of tells to figure out who I was trying to sell something to.

My second tip: Keep a few hundred plat in the bank. Ports and rezzes cost the players providing these services a lot of time. Especially clerics that don't necessarily get around the easiest. I don't mind helping out new players with free ports (though I do recommend that they take the boat at least once and run through a few zones to learn the game), but a corpse run is no excuse for a higher level to stiff the cabby. That holds true for ports in general. If I see a surname, I expect compensation and if I don't get it, chances are I won't port you in the future.

Concerning rezzes, until you get to higher levels where the experience slows down, it's my opinion that it's not worth anyone's time for you to try and get one. By the time you get your rez sorted out, you probably could have made your corpse run and be well on your way to making the lost experience back. Also, if there's a cleric in the dungeon where you died, chances are they are in a group of their own or they are camping something and are otherwise occupied. Throw out a /ooc offering to buy a rez. If they can or want to help, they'll offer.

My third tip: Always pay in platinum. Never gold. Paying in gold is a slap in the face. When you pay in gold, you're wasting even more time of the player who is helping you, because now they have to go to the bank to change it. If you don't have the platinum, precious gems are good as well as jewelry that can be vendored. Equipment is an okay alternative, if the person giving the services can use it, but if they can't, it's again a waste of their time to have to sit in EC and try to auction it.

My fourth tip: When you are doing a /who all dru or wiz, stick to druids or wizards in zones that have druid circles or wizard spires to inquire for ports, because if they are there, the odds are better that they're porting anyway and are more likely to help you. Druids and wizards that are in a dungeon are most definitely occupied with something else.

My fifth tip: Don't bother asking for buffs unless you're at a place you can use them. If you're waiting for a boat, it's pointless to ask for a sow. If you're two zones away from your hunting ground, it's pointless to ask for a ds because it will probably wear off before you get a chance to use it.

My sixth tip: If you are asking for buffs, click off all of your old buffs. When I cast something that you already have or doesn't stack with something you already have, the spell does not take hold and it costs me mana, wasting more of my time when I have to med and get it back.

My seventh tip: If I tell you that I am busy and can't help you, that's what that means. Leave it at that and don't beg. All of these services are a convenience. I'm happy to help if I'm not busy, but you are not entitled to my help. If I get pestered incessantly, you'll find yourself on the ignore list and you'll never get my help.

My eighth tip: I don't play an enchanter, but pay for your clarity and pay well. They are constantly hounded for it everywhere they go. Even though they can regenerate mana faster it doesn't mean it is not time out of their game to buff you.

My ninth tip: Pay for your binds. Especially if the person binding you has to go to town to do it. If the player refuses payment, pay anyway with /split. They deserve it.

Basically, what it boils down to is if someone is spending their time to save you time, you should compensate them fairly for it. I encourage other players to post their thoughts on the subject as well, since I'm sure I missed some things that irk other people.

Chanus
02-07-2011, 02:43 PM
CSB

Extunarian
02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I was really expecting a 10th tip and now I have the list blue balls.

Rasah
02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Counterpoint:

1) Use /role if you don't want to be bothered.
2) Learn how to tell someone no.

Sounds to me like you just don't want to shut off a revenue stream, but want everyone to do it your way.

Hauling
02-07-2011, 02:58 PM

I'm sorry.

Kassel
02-07-2011, 03:00 PM
When begging for buffs in EC, why not say "please"?

Messianic
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
This post attempts to be useful or informative, and halfway coherent and reasonable.

Definitely not appropriate for NSFW/R&F.

Beauregard
02-07-2011, 03:04 PM
My third tip: Always pay in platinum. Never gold. Paying in gold is a slap in the face. When you pay in gold, you're wasting even more time of the player who is helping you, because now they have to go to the bank to change it. If you don't have the platinum, precious gems are good as well as jewelry that can be vendored. Equipment is an okay alternative, if the person giving the services can use it, but if they can't, it's again a waste of their time to have to sit in EC and try to auction it.

Pro tip : There are a lot of druid rings with vendors at them. Say someone gives you 300g as a tip - you can buy a couple 15p emeralds, which will come out of your gold, then sell the gems back to the vendor for platinum. That may seem like a massive inconvenience but it only takes about 20 seconds.

karsten
02-07-2011, 03:06 PM
k but what if i died and i need a port like FAST and you don't seem to understand my time constraints?

DetroitVelvetSmooth
02-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Unnecessary novel.

Hauling
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Counterpoint:

1) Use /role if you don't want to be bothered.
2) Learn how to tell someone no.

Sounds to me like you just don't want to shut off a revenue stream, but want everyone to do it your way.

If you want to see how well /role works, dress in leather and stand at the ec tunnel entrance. It's also no good to go anon when you are trying to find a group. Otherwise, yes /role does help some.

I'm not at all against helping people in a bind and doing things for free as many folks can attest too, and I do say no when I'm busy. However, I just get the feeling that people take all of these player offered services for granted. As I stated I don't play an enchanter, but I feel they deserve good compensation for their services. Enchanters that I've spoke to about it say they rarely get tips for clarity.

And I don't play a cleric either, but it bothers me how often people spam begging for rezzes, and with my experience of people begging for sows and ports, I assume that clerics get the direct tell spam as well.

So, there's two services that I have no vested interest in, but would like to see people fairly paid for.

Massive Marc
02-07-2011, 03:21 PM
If you want to see how well /role works, dress in leather and stand at the ec tunnel entrance. It's also no good to go anon when you are trying to find a group. Otherwise, yes /role does help some.

I'm not at all against helping people in a bind and doing things for free as many folks can attest too, and I do say no when I'm busy. However, I just get the feeling that people take all of these player offered services for granted. As I stated I don't play an enchanter, but I feel they deserve good compensation for their services. Enchanters that I've spoke to about it say they rarely get tips for clarity.

And I don't play a cleric either, but it bothers me how often people spam begging for rezzes, and with my experience of people begging for sows and ports, I assume that clerics get the direct tell spam as well.

So, there's two services that I have no vested interest in, but would like to see people fairly paid for.

Oh, I was in the middle of trolling your post, when I noticed your response.

In that case,

tl;dr

Pay people for services rendered. Seems simple enough.

darkblade717
02-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Pro tip : There are a lot of druid rings with vendors at them. Say someone gives you 300g as a tip - you can buy a couple 15p emeralds, which will come out of your gold, then sell the gems back to the vendor for platinum. That may seem like a massive inconvenience but it only takes about 20 seconds.

The unintelligent should not be privy to these common sense secrets!

Rasah
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
If you want to see how well /role works, dress in leather and stand at the ec tunnel entrance.
Don't stand in the entrance unless you are willing to buff the lowbies. T1, T2 or shady are good places to do business. And when you are in EC, click on the option for tells to a new chat window. That way, you can have multiple conversations and know exactly who to respond to.

It's also no good to go anon when you are trying to find a group. Then turn it off when you are looking for a group.

I'm not at all against helping people in a bind and doing things for free as many folks can attest too, and I do say no when I'm busy. And yet the original post talks about payment in more than half of your tips.

Most people will take no for an answer. Those that don't, tell them your powerlevelling rates are 1000p per hour, prorated to the amount of mana you have to med back. If they persist, just stop responding. (Don't ignore, you'll want to be sure you see when they /shout train! at higher levels.)

I don't fully disagree with the sentiment, but it seems a little nitpicky to complain about getting gold or preferring "/say" instead of "/tells".

Hauling
02-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Good point. Swings both ways though, why can't the person buying the port stop at a vendor and do the same? If a person ports you or buffs you, they're spending their game time to help save you time. Why make them spend more of their time to look for a vendor to do the banking? And what about wizards? I'm not too familiar with their ports, but I don't ever see vendors at the spires. And what about other classes that provide services? Should we make them waste their time banking our gold?

Massive Marc
02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Good point. Swings both ways though, why can't the person buying the port stop at a vendor and do the same? If a person ports you or buffs you, they're spending their game time to help save you time. Why make them spend more of their time to look for a vendor to do the banking? And what about wizards? I'm not too familiar with their ports, but I don't ever see vendors at the spires. And what about other classes that provide services? Should we make them waste their time banking our gold?

Your asking for payment for services and complaining about the currency your receiving ?

You would make a horrible Panhandler.

Kender
02-07-2011, 04:16 PM
well when i'm on my druid there is only 1 tip...

say please

i'll do almost anything i'm asked to for free if someone says please. it really is that uncommon

Mcbard
02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I needed a port for a cr today at an unfathomably early hour. Hauling gave me that port.

HAULING = OKAY GUY.

Gorgetrapper
02-07-2011, 05:46 PM
/role or /anon doesn't work if you put in a specific class and level search.

Shocore
02-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Learn how to say "Sorry, I don't speak English" in as many languages as possible.

Or learn to at least convincingly imitate it. "Einher nein dun schpekken zein Angerlasshein." See, you probably think that's Dutch, but it's not. I made it up.

And if they say that they saw you do an /ooc in English or something, start yabbering gibberish incessantly until they go away. In fact, why wait for people to bug you? Just get up and go do it to the first person you run into. See if you aren't having fun already.

mitic
02-08-2011, 08:19 AM
hauling, iam not able to find the appropriate words on how much i have to thank you.

all those tips will greatly improve my future buff/port request!

thank you, thank you and thank you once again for waisting those 3 minutes of my time reading your first post in this thread <3

Gandite
02-08-2011, 10:44 AM
my thread was better

senna
02-08-2011, 07:01 PM
are druids required to make at least 1 thread on the forums about how to ask for buffs and what to donate for buffs/ports??

Bruno
02-08-2011, 08:52 PM
There are plenty of other people willing to give out buffs without whining, and I am one of them. The 10 year old rant is old. My tip to you is roll a warrior.

JayDee
02-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I am a mage and i hate when people ask me for mod rods, or to send my pet, or for ds, or anything besides afk.

Misto
02-09-2011, 01:29 AM
If you're too lazy to make six hand movements to buff someone in the EC tunnel, then I assume your too lazy to thoroughly wipe your ass.

Alisa
02-09-2011, 02:36 AM
There are plenty of other people willing to give out buffs without whining, and I am one of them. The 10 year old rant is old. My tip to you is roll a warrior.

I hear ya. I will never charge for buffs as an ench. It's just a cIick, it takes zero skill!
People still try to donate sometimes but I tend to refuse based on whether they asked nicely or not. "Please" is so underrated.

Airdefier
02-09-2011, 03:38 AM

hahahaha

Airdefier
02-09-2011, 03:39 AM
If you're too lazy to make six hand movements to buff someone in the EC tunnel, then I assume your too lazy to thoroughly wipe your ass.

and this

Thetruth
02-09-2011, 07:24 AM
The truth is,

Your facts are based upon false truth. You claim these are good tips , but don't practice what you preech. I have encountered more truth about you then you will ever post. How can someone believe your truth when you speak untrue to your own self. Are you a woman or man? Until we know the truth you know none! The truth shall set you free.

Ledzepp02
02-09-2011, 08:41 AM
It only takes a few hand movements to give someone a few crisp, hundred dollar bills for no reason, but I still don't do it!

Nah i'm joking, be generous etc etc. I love running by noobs in low level zones and telling them to hold still while I bandage them from 20% to 100% hp. Feel like a hero, you know?