PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dial a Port

klipche
01-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Hello all!

I am new to p99. I have a level 13 shaman and have been enjoying my time. I have decided to head to Kurns for 14 - 19 and was told about dial a port. I was told the best route to Kurns would be to get a druid 57+ to port me to EJ and than evac me to FoB zone line.

So I do a who all dial and see a 60 druid Amelias. I asked for a port to EJ. I get an AFK message that was being used as an advertising board I guess. In the AFK message it said to whisper him where you are, where you want to go and how much you are offering. So I sent another tell saying steam to ej can spare 5pp. He replied "naw I will pass." So I figured as a 60 he is probably not thrilled with making 5pp so I ask is it because of the low plat. Hoping he would say yes and be honest and I could offer more. I had 30pp on me and would have been willing to give it all away for the help to getting to FoB where I can make good plat on bone chips I hear. He said no it was cause he was busy. Well I am under the impression if someone from dial a port has their tag up then they are porting and if they aren't then they go anon or role. So I ask are just busy with other ports cause I can wait.
I get an immediate response of "sure otw". He shows up and I try to give plat and he canceled trade. He starts to port and we end up in Iceclad where I am booted from group and left stranded.

I log off for dinner and come back a few hours later. I do a who all again on dial and this time contact Mordicuss. I ask him if I can get a ride to EJ and he says sure. We get to EJ and I hand him 13pp and ask if he would mind evac'ing me to fob zone line. I am just to low level to run across the zone. He evacs us and I say thank you and start running. Before he leaves group he types into group chat ignore slowwz. I am thinking wtf did he just try to add me to his ignore list and forget to hit /? I am thinking is this because of 13pp or something. So I try to ask and I get no reply.

So this is the type of 13 year old crap one would expect from World of Warcraft but on p99 seriously?

Burrito
01-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Everyone in dial a port only sees you as platinum. The first guy is a dick and probably would get kicked. The second guy was nice. However, he's investing his time to be a port bitch and wants the highest return (just like farming some BS mobs like Seafuries). So a common thing for them is that anyone who lowballs tips (even if it's because it's a new player) goes on the ignore list so they can be free for the lazy high levels.

Don't take the second one personally.

Kaight
01-29-2017, 09:35 PM
You got unlucky with a few assholes. When I'm porting with DaP, if it's a clear newb asking for a port, I won't necessarily prioritize them but I'll always do the pick-up and take what they can give me. I'm definitely not the only one like this. I'd just suggest explaining in your first request/tell that you're new to the server and can't offer much for a ride. Some people might ignore you but hopefully a decent person will help out, you may just have to wait a little longer.

That first guy though, wtf. Paging Tupakk!

Tupakk
01-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Sorry you had an issue. We don't operate like this and I will take to both of them the next time I see them.

If you ever need anything. Hit me up I am always around.

rollin5k
01-29-2017, 09:52 PM
Theyre interesting real time to save you time maybe give them 20p and don't be a pain in the ass. How's real life treating you btw?

Sacha
01-29-2017, 11:25 PM
Howdy, Mordicuss here! My bad on ignoring you, I didn't realize you were lvl 13 and just trying to get to Kurns. I would have absolutely taken you there for free, but it's easy to get swamped with tells and not take a closer look at the situation. PM me and I will assist your Kurns group next time you're on.

Skinned
01-29-2017, 11:58 PM
He would have to port you to the Dreadlands, run you to KC past see invis mobs that hit hard, evac you to a hostile place in EJ, and evac you to the FoB zone line. That is a lot of work.

Tupakk
01-30-2017, 12:00 AM
He would have to port you to the Dreadlands, run you to KC past see invis mobs that hit hard, evac you to a hostile place in EJ, and evac you to the FoB zone line. That is a lot of work.

Ej port is from anywhere now and a double cast of the spells succors you right to FoB ZL. saving a ton of time.

Everyone in DaP knows this.

Teako
01-30-2017, 12:20 AM
You should have immediately petitioned the guy who dropped you in IC "for the lulz". This is not only incredibly shady, but is deliberately trying to get you killed in an area much higher level than you are safe in for his own amusement.

Any level 60 port class knows that trolling a port over low tip isn't worth the conversation with Braknar that's going to follow it up. Shame on Amelias. I'm glad to hear Afeni is intervening on this incredibly low-class action.

Rummol
01-30-2017, 12:45 AM
Have seen Amelias do this to others before too.

NuanImproved
01-30-2017, 12:52 AM
That's awful! I have a DaP druid and that's just shady and lame. I'm sorry that was your experience, next time try explaining you are new briefly, might have better luck. I just spent a couple hours touring Gfay and CB giving away cheap gear and plat, so I think you just had back luck with a-hole players. Welcome to the server, I hope you stay awhile

NuanImproved
01-30-2017, 12:57 AM
I'm gonna try to catch them online and give them some serious shit until I get ignored myself. That's some serious bull crap - take a break from the server Amelias and Mordicuss

Tupakk
01-30-2017, 12:59 AM
I'm gonna try to catch them online and give them some serious shit until I get ignored myself. That's some serious bull crap - take a break from the server Amelias and Mordicuss

Thank you but I got it handled.

Matthalas Winterheart
01-30-2017, 01:08 AM
Sorry you had an issue. We don't operate like this and I will take to both of them the next time I see them.

If you ever need anything. Hit me up I am always around.

OP...Tupakk is a class act. Take what he says for gold. I've been in another guild with the guy and never once had an issue.

This community on p99 for the most part a solid group of players. There are the trolls, the "Try Reds" and such...But, give the server time. Don't let this experience put a bad taste in your mouth.

I myself have a mid 50's level druid. I will sit on the ramp to SF quite often, surrounded by sometimes 2 and 3 DAPS. They do their advertising and I keep quiet. Rarely do I throw out my pitch in OOC. I have quite a few players that will just come up to me with the trade window with a plat donation. This is just my style, I personally don't like salesman..So I carry this philosophy into the game. Someone sees me sitting there, identifies me as a druid. They can assume I'm sitting there to port. But I will let them make that decision. This is not a knock on DAP, just how I choose to conduct my business.

Back on track. The idiot players are not all that common. I will reiterate what I said, there are a LOT of good people on both blue and red.

Fasttimes
01-30-2017, 01:41 AM
yea i tried to get a port from amelias and first thing he says is offer? even tho i tip 60p a port since im 60 thats not first thing i should hear, so i just ask a guildy instead.

Zekayy
01-30-2017, 01:53 AM
Thank you but I got it handled.

you owe me exp....

Tupakk
01-30-2017, 01:54 AM
you owe me exp....

Since your not playing EQ anymore let me get that acct info.

StinkyGreenBud
01-30-2017, 02:22 AM
DaP is a monopoly and like all big corporate monopolies they see you as a dollar symbol. Though I may have bitter feelings for them because they continue to steal all my wizards port business. Been praying to Solusek Ro for years now to see them topple.

ZiggyTheMuss
01-30-2017, 04:04 AM
I hope you kicked them. This behavior isn't an accident or a mistake and I doubt it will change with a "talking to."

ZiggyTheMuss
01-30-2017, 04:05 AM
Howdy, Mordicuss here! My bad on ignoring you, I didn't realize you were lvl 13 and just trying to get to Kurns. I would have absolutely taken you there for free, but it's easy to get swamped with tells and not take a closer look at the situation. PM me and I will assist your Kurns group next time you're on.

And so what caused you to decide to put him on ignore?

Jauna
01-30-2017, 04:15 AM
Entitled Warcraft refugee, check
Namedropping, check
Wall of text, check
First post, check

Dial a Port is a service guild, not a handout guild. And for what it is worth if you sent any random druid a tell and offered them the same amount of plat you will get the same if not worse replies.

You did not have enough for the time investment you requested, simple as that. Now stop throwing a temper tantrum on 7+ year old forums that see maybe 1/10th of the traffic the server does.

Bubbles
01-30-2017, 05:36 AM
I use Dial a Port just about constantly...

in about 500 lifetime transactions I've never had an issue with any of them being anything less than efficient and friendly taxi folk.

For future reference, Tox is even more of a death sentence than iceclad, though. People actually pop into iceclad occasionally to potentially serve as a rescue unit.

You can sit and Tox for days as a melee until someone needs hate stones or to scamper to The Hole.

Ivory
01-30-2017, 05:50 AM
I am thinking is this because of 13pp or something. So I try to ask and I get no reply.

13pp is a small tip?!?!?!? I usually tip 5-10ish!!

Oh well, I'm not rich...I regret nothingggg.

ZiggyTheMuss
01-30-2017, 07:32 AM
I use Dial a Port just about constantly...

in about 500 lifetime transactions I've never had an issue with any of them being anything less than efficient and friendly taxi folk.

For future reference, Tox is even more of a death sentence than iceclad, though. People actually pop into iceclad occasionally to potentially serve as a rescue unit.

You can sit and Tox for days as a melee until someone needs hate stones or to scamper to The Hole.

I tip well so the only times I have had problems with DaP was when I needed a port for a CR. One time the DaP that I asked went /anon and didn't respond to me. The other time they quickly logged after I asked. Classy! Other than that I have had good experiences.

Skinned
01-30-2017, 07:46 AM
Ej port is from anywhere now and a double cast of the spells succors you right to FoB ZL. saving a ton of time.

Everyone in DaP knows this.

I didn't have the slightest idea. I thought I remembered my EJ evac working outside of dungeons on live but it has been so long. I have been porting to DL and running through FM and LOIO to transfer stuff to characters there lol.

Skinned
01-30-2017, 08:37 AM
If you're a newbie and need to get somewhere for CR or to xp like FoB /tell bonhoeffer and if I'm not grouped or locked down on a camp I'll port you. Often I'm just in gfay medding between quads.

fadetree
01-30-2017, 09:59 AM
I love DaP, have never had a bad experience. I am perfectly fine with them seeing me as 'nothing but a platinum source'. What the hell else would I want? If they are doing it for any other reason then they won't be as likely to provide consistent service. You people who always think that corporations are evil because 'all they are interested in is money' should go back to economics class and pay attention this time.

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 10:52 AM

So you took the guys plat THEN ported him then ignored him. You are a pitiful person lol people like you are EXACTLY why DAP has sometime been given a bad name. Cheers to your guild leader for playing damage control.

I really think you guys should tell people about the recommended donation of 1pp per level, because obviously new players don't know that unless they are told.

Bombg
01-30-2017, 11:51 AM
I've had nothing but good experiences with Dial A Port. The worst thing that usually happens is sometimes the porter lets their que get too long and you wait around for ages. With that said, I usually have more luck with a random /who druid all when I need a port for a CR. I usually almost always get ignored by dial druids when I'm upfront about the CR port because they can often be busy and don't want to give out freebies when they have paying customers waiting. In short, if you're broke then just do some /who's and find someone who isn't busy.

Ivory
01-30-2017, 12:07 PM
I really think you guys should tell people about the recommended donation of 1pp per level, because obviously new players don't know that unless they are told.

Level 60s tip 60pp a teleport?! -rolls a druid-

Erati
01-30-2017, 12:08 PM
yikes 60 plat is typical tip for a lvl 60 player to be ported?

thats alot of plat to constantly carry around :confused:

captainswjr
01-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Carry a stack of peridots on you at all times. At 10pp each (or close) they are good for tips. Also handy for making your cleric happy to cast symbol on you.

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Yup I agree - and if you don't magically know to pay this amount, you risk that member of DAP putting you on ignore.

Erati
01-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Carry a stack of peridots on you at all times. At 10pp each (or close) they are good for tips. Also handy for making your cleric happy to cast symbol on you.

so 1 stack only gives you around 3 ports - that is insanely expensive for a product that is widely avail

I am a druid main here and back in the days of global /ooc, I would typically only get off my butt to port people very quickly when 50+ plat was offered. If 70+ was offered ( which was rare and typically something urgent ), I would leave camps to go get. Saying that is the norm now when the service is more widespread and easier to acquire than ever before seems like the business model is going in the opposite direction for the consumer.

I get the fact that higher levels 'should have more wealth thus should pay more' but my point is that typically people wont carry that kind of cash around even in peridot form. My monk carries maybe 2 stacks of dots for ports but if I played him more frequently these current expected porting prices would be hard to keep up the supply when bag space is so valuable.

My cleric might carry 100 plat on him and I try to make that last 3-4 ports but I guess I have been serial under tipping :( I am sorry DaP workers

DudeStop
01-30-2017, 12:48 PM

1pp per level seems too steep of a "recommended donation" in the EQ economy. At lvl 10, you're lucky if you've even made 10 plat in your character's lifetime. 1/2 plat per level seems more congruent with the EQ economy IMO. At earlier levels, anyway. I haven't been over lvl 20 in 15+ years.

I've had pretty good luck finding ports by just saying up front I'm a broke newbie that can only afford to donate ~5pp. Most of my porters turn down the money.

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 12:49 PM
1pp per level seems too steep of a "recommended donation" in the EQ economy. At lvl 10, you're lucky if you've even made 10 plat in your character's lifetime. 1/2 plat per level seems more congruent with the EQ economy IMO. At earlier levels, anyway. I haven't been over lvl 20 in 15+ years.

I've had pretty good luck finding ports by just saying up front I'm a broke newbie that can only afford to donate ~5pp. Most of my porters have turned it down.

I totally agree, but that is what DAP "unofficially" recommends

Tupakk
01-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Yup I agree - and if you don't magically know to pay this amount, you risk that member of DAP putting you on ignore.

We have no set standards. People pay what they can. Do we expect more from a seasoned player yes but do we require it no.

Most of the time we will port someone and maybe only see them a few times a week.

Regular customers more often and they know what they are getting. Fast and quick service NQA.

For the record we don't preach discrimination if you have ever been in the guild while I have been around then you would know my rules and how I expect people to operate.

The guild is massive. I am pretty sure maybe only 1/2 of what we have recorded is actually our numbers. So one or two out of the 700+ number we most likely have is pretty good in my book.

You have more chance of getting ignored by complaining or coming off as an ass than you do under paying.

if anyone has any questions. You know how to find me.

Lifebar
01-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Tupakk is a class act. Take what he says for gold. I've been in another guild with the guy and never once had an issue.

Matthalas Winterheart
01-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Entitled Warcraft refugee, check
Namedropping, check
Wall of text, check
First post, check

Dial a Port is a service guild, not a handout guild. And for what it is worth if you sent any random druid a tell and offered them the same amount of plat you will get the same if not worse replies.

You did not have enough for the time investment you requested, simple as that. Now stop throwing a temper tantrum on 7+ year old forums that see maybe 1/10th of the traffic the server does.

You're an idiot. This is a video game. This isnt real life fucking marketing strategy. There are PLENTY of druids and wizards alike that will port for 5pp, because we arent self obsessed idiots.

Matthalas Winterheart
01-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Can we move this thread to R&F? Because its quickly turning into a shitshow.

Jauna
01-30-2017, 02:15 PM
There are PLENTY of druids and wizards alike that will port for 5pp, because we arent self obsessed idiots.

This post exists because there arnt many who will, but the OP decided to attack an entire guild and bite the hand that actually took all that time to do it eventually.

And to make another point, he came back to DaP a few times without even considering sending a tell to one of the saint porters you assume are there.

I stand by what I said before, he did not have enough plat for the service he requested. Sucks, but its like getting an across town taxi ride for free.

Service guild, not a handout guild.

Never forget.

Canelek
01-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Seriously entitled folks around here.

fadetree
01-30-2017, 02:37 PM
I'm 55, and my donation is 35-40pp for 'regular' ports. Evacs and fancy stuff I pay more for. That's what I am willing to pay. If they've blackballed me I haven't noticed it. I have gotten free ports on naked cr alts several times. Again, I think DaP is a great service. Some people always seem to hate successful stuff for some reason, I've never understood that. They always trot out the same lame arguments and hysterical 'they're only out for themselves!' claims, failing to understand that that is the key feature that makes it a success. If they weren't 'just out for themselves' they wouldn't be doing it, duh.
"This one time, one guy didn't give me good service SO I HATE ALL OF THEM AND SO SHOULD YOU".

fadetree
01-30-2017, 02:42 PM

Like I said, I don't pay that. If they insisted, which they don't seem to, I would simply rate them as too expensive for anything but emergencies. If enough people did that, their revenue would go down, and they'd relax the minimum. See how that works? It's like econ 101 up in here.

Ofaelol
01-30-2017, 02:46 PM
I'm a broke lowbie, highest toon level 20 in banded gear, and I've used DaP several times. They've been nothing but helpful. Sorry that the OP had a bad experience.

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 02:51 PM
This post exists because there arnt many who will, but the OP decided to attack an entire guild and bite the hand that actually took all that time to do it eventually.

And to make another point, he came back to DaP a few times without even considering sending a tell to one of the saint porters you assume are there.

I stand by what I said before, he did not have enough plat for the service he requested. Sucks, but its like getting an across town taxi ride for free.

Service guild, not a handout guild.

Never forget.
DAP is a great guild - that's for sure. But the people that interacted with OP deserve to be called out. They acted like assholes to a new player who didn't know DAP is a "service".

Jauna
01-30-2017, 03:03 PM
deserve to be called out.

OP asked once, they said they were busy and went back to asking them again.

That is irritating and childish, OP did not decide to ask someone else (reminder non-DaPs can port as well) until he got dropped off in IC. OP fucked up by harassing a singling someone out like that. No means no. Busy means busy.

With that in mind, him name dropping was uncool when he was too lazy to /who all druid, wizard or find another DaP

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 03:10 PM
OP asked once, they said they were busy and went back to asking them again.

That is irritating and childish, OP did not decide to ask someone else (reminder non-DaPs can port as well) until he got dropped off in IC. OP fucked up by harassing a singling someone out like that. No means no. Busy means busy.

With that in mind, him name dropping was uncool when he was too lazy to /who all druid, wizard or find another DaP

I suggest you read his post again, because if any of that constitutes "harassment" then you are using the wrong definition of the word.

OP is new. He doesn't know what the protocol is. Blaming him for that is irritating and childish.

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Furthermore he ported OP to Iceclad and stranded him. You think that's OK to do to anyone? Especially a new player?

Jauna
01-30-2017, 03:13 PM
because if any of that constitutes "harassment" then you are using the wrong definition of the word.

Amelias said he was busy.
This should have been the end of this part of the story, but
He said Amelias a tell again
He made no effort to find someone else until he got tossed to IC

No means no
Busy means busy

Jauna
01-30-2017, 03:14 PM
Furthermore he ported OP to Iceclad and stranded him. You think that's OK to do to anyone? Especially a new player?

I would have selected Toxx, but just because you are new is no excuse to harass someone who is busy.

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Again, I suggest that you read the OP again because nothing he did was harassment. Amelias could have just ignored him or put him on the ignore list, instead he took time out of his "busy" schedule to be a total dick to a new player. The fact that you think this is OK tells me that you are the same type of elitist nerd that gives this server a bad name. Furthermore OP was asking legitimate questions.

Tupakk
01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
The question was answered and the problem handled.

I think it is safe to say this issue is Resolved.

Jauna
01-30-2017, 03:26 PM
Your opinion =/= fact

Amelias said he was busy, that should have been the end of it.

But no, the OP went on a relentless assault of pestering a single person instead of finding someone else, you might pity him for being new but being new to p99 is no excuse for bad manners

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Your opinion =/= fact

Amelias said he was busy, that should have been the end of it.

Same with your opinion.

I'm seeing that you have not read or fully understood the OP in its context. Have a nice day.

Tupakk, you are awesome. Thank you for your service.

Jauna
01-30-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm seeing that you have not read or fully understood the OP in its context.

Just because you may condone harassment does not mean the rest of us do.

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Just because you may condone harassment does not mean the rest of us do.

Sending someone tells asking for clarification is not harassment.

Jauna
01-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Sending someone tells asking for clarification is not harassment.

Asked once, got a busy.

not hard to understand

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Asked if he was busy porting or other stuff, an innocent question. Not harassment.

not hard to understand

But going out of your way to port a noob to the middle of nowhere is harassment by intimidation. I am really sad that any player here would defend such a childish thing.

Looking forward to your response lol

Jauna
01-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Asked if he was busy porting or other stuff, an innocent question. Not harassment.l

Which would be true if he asked once and moved on.

But no, asked again, didnt make an effort to find someone else during that time. Just went back and pissed someone off.

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 04:20 PM
...yeah you should really put forth effort to reading what actually happened in the OP. He asked multiple questions, but asked for a port only once. This isn't rocket science.

Jauna
01-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Sounds like harassment to me

nectarprime
01-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Then perhaps you should brush up on your definitions of common words. have a nice day :)

Pope Hat
01-30-2017, 04:34 PM
So this is the type of 13 year old crap one would expect from World of Warcraft but on p99 seriously?

Made me laugh.

Jauna
01-30-2017, 04:37 PM
Then perhaps you should brush up on your definitions of common words. have a nice day :)

So I do a who all dial and see a 60 druid Amelias. I asked for a port to EJ. --- So I sent another tell saying steam to ej can spare 5pp. He replied "naw I will pass." --- He said no it was cause he was busy. --- So I ask are just busy with other ports cause I can wait.

nectarprime, I would ask you to stop but I know you dug yourself in too deep to quit now and all you want is the last reply in this matter to give yourself the illusion you didnt fuck up as bad as the OP did.

Jauna
01-30-2017, 04:39 PM
RNF is currently reserved for the suspension threads

Triiz
01-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Not trying to be antagonizing but "new to p99" or returning to p99?

Guess it's irrelevant either way.

As far as a 50-60's carrying around the plat to pay for ports I don't find it to be a hassle at all. Certainly it's much less of a hassle to carry around 200 plat and a stack of peridots (what I carry) than it is to run to my destination, find a random druid/wiz that isn't actively porting, or the other options. That is 6 ports at 60 a pop with ~40 plat left over, I always make it back by the bank before I'm out of port funds.

I would say 99% of time it takes less than 3-5 min from my /who all dial to my arrival at my destination. I value my time so that's worth a premium to me. Thankful to have the service.

Rummol
01-30-2017, 07:32 PM
LOL at Jauna...you are seriously deluded about the meaning of the word harassment.

Muggens
01-30-2017, 07:45 PM
Personally Ive only great experiences with DaP - mained a moderate twinked rogue so ported alot, always tipped above lvl and "donated" 50p pr port since lvl 50. I still tip 50p at 60. Gems and small magical items works fine as well. Comes to some plats added all up Im sure, but its great to have folks online you know are available and will port. They always hit you with a SoW too, nice for us commonfolks used to jboots.

But as a poor noob I always "roleplayed" myself free ports from nonguilded female halflings ;)

Nashlyenin
01-30-2017, 08:35 PM
You should just send tells with the payment amount/ pickup location/ drop off location. Some will agree some wont.. I dont know about you but spending hours porting people around doesn't sound like a fun time for me, the only reason they subject themselves to it is to make plat so to me they should be able to pick and chose which offers they accept.

Zarcath
01-30-2017, 09:23 PM
feedback page to rate individual porters

Zarcath
01-30-2017, 09:55 PM
OP offered 5pp for the port.

Nilstoniakrath
01-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Maybe try not being such a cheap-@$$ ingrate? Seriously, what do you expect someone to do with 5pp these days on p99? That doesn't buy squat

irodeyourmom
01-31-2017, 02:33 PM
DaP is a monopoly and like all big corporate monopolies they see you as a dollar symbol. Though I may have bitter feelings for them because they continue to steal all my wizards port business. Been praying to Solusek Ro for years now to see them topple.

Your post gave me cancer.

It sounds like you are mad that DAP gets more porting business because people know them. You could just join, but I don't think you'd be accepted based on that attitude.

Dartmon6511
01-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Honestly, everyone get a reality check. It's a game. People can play it however they want.

Alanus
01-31-2017, 02:57 PM
I tip well so the only times I have had problems with DaP was when I needed a port for a CR. One time the DaP that I asked went /anon and didn't respond to me. The other time they quickly logged after I asked. Classy! Other than that I have had good experiences.

They might've been busy and forgot to put /anon up (I have done it before).

And someone isn't going to log just because you asked for a CR. CR ports take like 3 minutes

fadetree
01-31-2017, 04:14 PM
no, YOU!

trav71
01-31-2017, 04:33 PM
Just wanna take a sec to give props to DAP.

They have been extremely EXTREMELY helpful to my lowb self. I offer (generally) half of whatever I have on me for reward, which is never more than a couple of plat. I realize that I am primarily a waste of time for them... but they make the game playable.

DAP paying it fwd to lowbies makes this a better game! I am sorry to hear that there are a couple of bad apples.

Also... there are places in game that cost actual mats to port to (that arent a plane)??? Can an elder player tell me where those maybe?

mickmoranis
01-31-2017, 04:47 PM
OP enjoy the game and take the boat you peasant.

mickmoranis
01-31-2017, 06:03 PM
^oh yea also yea most players are scummers so dont let it bother you OP (and take the boat)

Mygicmeen
01-31-2017, 06:09 PM
::shrug:: Ive never had a DaP complain about 25p a port. 60p a port seems awful steep for pressing a button and loading. Had a guy port me like 6 times within an hour and a half for 25p a pop. He didnt seem mad. (Technically, I'd be asked to give 58p by the 1 per lvl thing...)

Jimjam
01-31-2017, 06:27 PM
Level 60s tip 60pp a teleport?! -rolls a druid-

Typically they pay 15-20, mid levels tend to pay most.

Brontus
01-31-2017, 06:34 PM
I am a rank and file member of Dial a Port. I do not speak for the guild but I can speak for myself.

Please remember that DAP guild members are players just like you. We are spending our precious free time engaged providing a much needed service for a fee. We could be doing other things but instead we choose to provide the P1999 community this service.

Our fee structure is not set in stone. We port you and you decide what the fee is. That arrangement favors the person being ported and is very risky for the DAP member as we provide a specified service for an unspecified fee. All DAP members know this in advance but as members we are okay with it because it's part of our guild code and rules.

DAP members are also human. We have good days and bad days. We try to be as professional as possible but sometimes we make mistakes or forget to cast SoW on a player.

Also, please consider that often we get many requests for ports. During peak server times, it's hard to keep track of them all and give your port request the attention that it deserves because of this. We are doing our best!

What we are hearing here is just one side of the story. Often people come to these forums and complain about DAP without the public hearing from the DAP member who is being accused. It breaks my heart to see this because the majority of DAP members are kind and helpful. We go the extra mile to make sure our customers are happy.

Regarding the alleged situation with the DAP member there's a couple things I'd like to discuss. First, one of our guild rules is that when you are not porting or indisposed you have to go /anon. This is to prevent DAP members from getting tells when they are leveling and not porting which causes the person requesting a port frustration. This is a wise rule and the person in question should have been /anon. I'm sure it was just a mistake.

If something like this happens a lot then yes it's a problem that the DAP leadership needs to be made aware of.

The second issue is that DAP members are not employees. We are independent contractors and free agents under the DAP banner. We set our own hours. As such, we have the right to refuse service to anyone. Please realize that we can get some pretty demanding requests. Sometimes players ask us to pick them up in far away dungeons and port them. This can be very dangerous for the DAP member and takes a lot of time that they could be porting other players.

We also offer ports to high level zones Skyfire and Emerald Jungle. I have died porting players here after being ambushed by high level mobs. It just goes with the job. I eventually got a rez and went on my way.

If a player requests that I pick them up in the middle of Siren's Grotto please realize that I may not feel comfortable going there and risking death just so I can port you out.

Other times, DAP members spend a lot of time doing a pickup and then get stiffed. In cases like this can you blame a DAP member for not wanting to port this person again?

That said, most DAP members will do their best to accommodate port requests. I rarely if ever turn anyone down. Most DAP members will port newbies with the knowledge that they don't have much money and often give them lots of buffs too. We also do corpse runs ports at no charge and most of us will port newbies for free. As a member of DAP I and most of our members are here to help the player community while making some plat along the way.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a few members. Most DAP members are kind and considerate. We can and will do better. We have a great leadership team at DAP who really care about the reputation of our guild and serving the P1999 community.

Thanks for your time today!

shtampy
01-31-2017, 08:50 PM
^ lol that's a lot of lip service and glossing over. Yea it was an accident Amelias didn't go anon and instead put an AFK message with requests for Plat offers. DaP is good for the most part, but the problems stem from the fact that it's an accept anybody willing to port guild with incredibly high turnover and lax leadership. I'm sure Supremacy and Tupakk will cracking down on the bad apples after enough bad press, but you're kidding yourself if you think the dial druids are actually using /anon like a taxi light like they're supposed to. Most of the time I message a druid above level 40 I get a reply about the wait time.

But hey, no alternatives and really it's not that bad

Gumbo
02-01-2017, 08:11 AM
I've used DAP a few times when I have used one of my other characters and I'll tip/donate based on the zone that I wanted to be ported too. I consider the zones as the following:

Zones in Antonica, Odus and Faydwer regions are low zones and I'll tip 25-35pp.
Zones in Kunark are middle zones and I'll tip 35-45pp.
Zones in Velious are high zones and I'll tip 45-60pp.

I feel that if you are a Druid or Wizard and decide to port people that you are providing a service. You are running your own personal business and players who need ports are customers.

The one problem I do see with some people who port and even with some DAP members is the lack of taking that extra step to help out or even be nice. It's not just all about the money. 95% of the time I have gotten a port. I noticed that the porter and I would be porting out after being grouped without a word being said and as soon as we arrived and I would tip for the port, the porter would just port out. Not even a thank you or ask if I needed anything else?

Maybe it's just my nature but I will port people if I'm bored or looking to waste time and I've had so many repeated customers who pay me good money because of the little extras I'll do besides the port. I'll cast a sow, see invisible and ask them if they are KOS to druid guards based on their race/class? Porting to the harder zones, I'll even throw in a camouflage.

kotton05
02-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Key is to tip well and know DaP isn't a right it's a service. I generally overpay if the person sows me without asking or they are rather speedy. This translates into me being able to get ports usually at a drop of a 🎩 Since people tend to remember those who payed well.

Troxx
02-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Ports are a luxury, not a right. There are a lot of really nice porters who do free ports for CR or to new guys, but these are acts of kindness that cut into their time or business. Ask nicely and explain your situation ahead of time. You did neither to either of these porters.

If you can't find a porter to help? Play it like it's 1999 and either run it and risk it or hunt closer to your starting location.

Even when I was brand new I tried my best to donate a plat per level. If I couldn't afford that, I'd hunt locally or run ... just like I had to do in 1999-2001.

Canelek
02-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Ports are a luxury, not a right. There are a lot of really nice porters who do free ports for CR or to new guys, but these are acts of kindness that cut into their time or business. Ask nicely and explain your situation ahead of time. You did neither to either of these porters.

If you can't find a porter to help? Play it like it's 1999 and either run it and risk it or hunt closer to your starting location.

Even when I was brand new I tried my best to donate a plat per level. If I couldn't afford that, I'd hunt locally or run ... just like I had to do in 1999-2001.

^ Yup.

jakerees
02-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Confirmed that Amelias is a huge douchebag and DaP is not to be trusted. Move along everyone.

menadwen
02-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Confirmed that Amelias is a huge douchebag and DaP is not to be trusted. Move along everyone.

Looks like someone from red is lost again.:eek:

Transylvania
02-01-2017, 05:00 PM
The problem with p99 period is that the entire post-newbie crowd is composed of selfish money hungry backstabbing cockblockers, swindlers, hustlers, and cons. It's a ME ME ME world and if that's not you're style, my advice is to find another game.

Tuurin
02-01-2017, 07:37 PM
The problem with p99 period is that the entire post-newbie crowd is composed of selfish money hungry backstabbing cockblockers, swindlers, hustlers, and cons. It's a ME ME ME world and if that's not you're style, my advice is to find another game.

As opposed to what? Is your expectation that strangers should be expected to stop whatever they are doing to buff/port/rez you (for free) so that you can enjoy the game "your way?" Who's really the selfish one here? If you are looking for some kind of commune to join there are things called guilds in this game. Join one and get your guildies to port you around for free.

Sirban
02-01-2017, 08:34 PM
LOL

Troxx
02-02-2017, 02:27 AM

Um ... no.

This community as a whole is the most newb friendly community I've encountered on any online game to include multiple live EQ servers from back in the day. Almost all of the shitty cockery is the high end raid scene alone, and even then the shit is flung around against their competitive peers alone. Most interactions I've observed over the years between even the "assholes" and new new players has been helpful and polite.

Getting free buffs, advice, and even spontaneous gifts of free starter gear is a very common occurrence.

nectarprime
02-02-2017, 10:55 AM
the most newb friendly community I've encountered on any online game to include multiple live EQ servers from back in the day..

Unless you ask for a port from certain players without magically knowing the going donation rate, then fuck you, you deserve to be ported to the middle of nowhere and stranded.

Right?

Mythanor
02-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Unless you ask for a port from certain players without magically knowing the going donation rate, then fuck you, you deserve to be ported to the middle of nowhere and stranded.

Right?

Tupakk
02-02-2017, 11:14 AM

Right?

Wrong.

And you better believe that if you are flying a DaP tag and you pull that shit and I find out about it best believe that you will not be flying the tag much longer. It's as simple as that.

We are service but the only reason we have what we have is because we operate under a single rule of be nice.

You guys talk like nobody knows how to tip or pay someone for something. It baffles me that his thread is still going and honestly I'm a bit disgusted.

To the rest that stick up for what we are doing. I thank you. You are the reason we decide to Port and continue to service the community to make transportation a bit easier on everyone.

nectarprime
02-02-2017, 11:22 AM
And that is why you have my utmost respect Tupakk. Thank you!

Neetas1320
02-02-2017, 11:24 AM
anything below a 30pp tip isnt worth the mana to port. it sucks as a lower level to cough up 30pp but 5pp or 13pp is pretty much a joke. Most porters arent that much of an asshole though.

Some things that will help you: Be at a ring when you ask for a port, and if your lower lvl ask in a way that lets them know you are new to the server.

"Hello would you be free to help a new player with a quick port? I only have 10-15pp to spare."

Its not uncommon for even high lvls to tip like a 5-10pp tip. It happens to me all the time i usually just tell them to keep it.

ZiggyTheMuss
02-02-2017, 12:07 PM
anything below a 30pp tip isnt worth the mana to port. it sucks as a lower level to cough up 30pp but 5pp or 13pp is pretty much a joke. Most porters arent that much of an asshole though.

Some things that will help you: Be at a ring when you ask for a port, and if your lower lvl ask in a way that lets them know you are new to the server.

"Hello would you be free to help a new player with a quick port? I only have 10-15pp to spare."

Its not uncommon for even high lvls to tip like a 5-10pp tip. It happens to me all the time i usually just tell them to keep it.

You sound like a real entitled shit. Not worth the mana to port? You idiot, how long does it take you to regen the mana??? I have ported people for free usually on my Druid. The problem isn't DaP the problem is the type of player that it attracts to its ranks. You are too stupid to realize you could actually be making faster plat than porting people around constantly, so naturally you are too stupid to realize that many players don't view clicking a button and loading to be worth more than 10 plat a pop.

I get requests to drag people's corpses a lot through complex dungeons which takes more time than clicking a button and loading. Do they offer plat usually? No. Do I put them on ignore if they don't tip me? No. Do I give a shit? No. I do it to help, not because I see $$$$ when I get a tell from a player asking me for assistance.

Tuurin
02-02-2017, 01:46 PM
There's a big difference between people doing things to be nice, free of charge, etc. and people expecting other players to do things for free. Of course pretty much every player has done something to help someone out, bind a melee in a new city, hit a couple newbs with a DS as you're cruising through the newbie zone, etc. That's much different than expecting an entire guild to provide a service for free and/or next to nothing.

All of you who think you're getting away with something by tipping a porter 10p for a port/sow/lev/invis/evac etc.- know that you are being bankrolled by others who tip more. If it weren't for the 50p/port tippers out there, DaP would not exist (and neither would the non-DaP free agents that offer porting services) and you'd be hoofing it everywhere. Like it or not nobody is going to log on and spend hours porting people around and end up with nothing to show for it.

And of course for those who think it's such an outrage to have to pay for a port, feel free to roll a porting class and you can port your own sorry arse around.

nectarprime
02-02-2017, 02:11 PM
who think it's such an outrage to have to pay for a port

I haven't seen a single person in this thread make that argument.

Neetas1320
02-02-2017, 02:15 PM
Ziggy LOL. The thought of you getting so upset at my post hardens my cock. If only you knew how nice I actually am and how many people I help on this server every time I log in the game.
But yea anything less than a 30pp tip is horse shit. I am at the point in this game where I dont charge anyone for anything. I dont charge to port I dont charge to rez. I enjoy helping people. I am merely looking at it from a DaP's view.
There was a time earlier before I have what I do now that I would port for money. and there is ALWAYS those assholes who send you a tell for a port in EC and then you run to them in EC or wherever the fuck they are and so you port and sow and then get a 10pp tip. I have never said anything to these people but i always thought to myself " Wow, what a dick." and then I would just move on with my life.

Ziggy, I hope you feel better now that you had your internet temper tantrum. But ask anyone who knows me dude. I help ALWAYS. Always have always will.

Tuurin
02-02-2017, 02:41 PM
I haven't seen a single person in this thread make that argument.

Well, these are all of the phrases that have been used in this thread to describe people who advocate that porters/DaP should be compensated fairly for their time spent porting (not referring to the probably appropriate slams for the original culprits):

self obsessed idiots
DaP is not to be trusted
selfish money hungry backstabbing cockblockers, swindlers, hustlers, and cons
a real entitled shit
idiot
too stupid...

Seems to describe general outrage to me. I'll stand by my statement.

nectarprime
02-02-2017, 02:41 PM
I help everyone all the time I am so nice let me tell you why

also I hate anyone who doesn't tip at least 30p

applesauce25r624
02-02-2017, 04:02 PM
I fully support Dial-A-Cuck and their entitled, bullying, monopolizing, platinum-gouging ways.

If this guild of plebs and whiners allows druids to scrape together a few platinum at the lower levels before they realize how utterly worthless their class is at the higher levels, I'm all for it.

BirryDaKir
02-02-2017, 07:49 PM
I fully support Dial-A-Cuck and their entitled, bullying, monopolizing, platinum-gouging ways.

If this guild of plebs and whiners allows druids to scrape together a few platinum at the lower levels before they realize how utterly worthless their class is at the higher levels, I'm all for it.

I understand this is RnF but damn, how can you hate on DaP for "bullying" or "platinum-gouging"? I use DaP all the time and have had almost entirely good experiences. I've never felt bullied or been quoted a price, much less gouged.

I use you guys all the time and am grateful for your service. As for the people here who are shitting on DaP, nobody is making you use their service.

ZiggyTheMuss
02-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Ziggy LOL. The thought of you getting so upset at my post hardens my cock. If only you knew how nice I actually am and how many people I help on this server every time I log in the game.
But yea anything less than a 30pp tip is horse shit. I am at the point in this game where I dont charge anyone for anything. I dont charge to port I dont charge to rez. I enjoy helping people. I am merely looking at it from a DaP's view.
There was a time earlier before I have what I do now that I would port for money. and there is ALWAYS those assholes who send you a tell for a port in EC and then you run to them in EC or wherever the fuck they are and so you port and sow and then get a 10pp tip. I have never said anything to these people but i always thought to myself " Wow, what a dick." and then I would just move on with my life.

Ziggy, I hope you feel better now that you had your internet temper tantrum. But ask anyone who knows me dude. I help ALWAYS. Always have always will.

If that is your opinion from "DaP" point of view then that is what I'm responding to. Did you ever put someone on ignore for giving you 10 plat? Did you port them to a dangerous zone? No? Did you refuse to port someone for a CR because it would cut into your profits? These are many of the pieces of trash that get drawn to this guild, but there are still decent folks in there.

Druids and wizards should be happy to get a tell from anyone really, even if it's someone giving you 10 plat to click a button.

Nashlyenin
02-02-2017, 08:26 PM
so naturally you are too stupid to realize that many players don't view clicking a button and loading to be worth more than 10 plat a pop.

lol easy darling, I pay for the port because its saving me time from a long run. I got no problem paying 25pp to avoid taking the boat, the fact that its easy to click the port spell button on their end is irrelevant to me.

jakerees
02-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Wrong.

And you better believe that if you are flying a DaP tag and you pull that shit and I find out about it best believe that you will not be flying the tag much longer. It's as simple as that.

We are service but the only reason we have what we have is because we operate under a single rule of be nice.

You guys talk like nobody knows how to tip or pay someone for something. It baffles me that his thread is still going and honestly I'm a bit disgusted.

To the rest that stick up for what we are doing. I thank you. You are the reason we decide to Port and continue to service the community to make transportation a bit easier on everyone.

Oh so Amelias isn't in DaP anymore?

Tupakk
02-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Oh so Amelias isn't in DaP anymore?

correct.

Kawazu
02-02-2017, 08:51 PM
correct.

Thread over. Move to resolved.

Troxx
02-03-2017, 01:10 AM
I have never had a problem with dial a port and have always been both satisfied with the service I've gotten and appreciative of their existence. It really does simplify the process of finding a port.

It eats the cold calling of random searchable wizards/Druids likely to be busy with their own gameplay.

Danth
02-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Spirit of Wolf potions or Journeyman/Traveler Boots, Overthere hammer, means of levitating across Timorous to the firepot room, Thurgadin gate potions, and a dash of patience: That's the recipe for independence of travel in-game. Add in an extensive friend list (most established players have their own port mules) and you shouldn't need to hire a random porter (Dial or otherwise) more than once in a blue moon.

Danth

Jenithia
02-04-2017, 01:35 PM
I use Dial a Port regularly on all my toons. The way I see it is that most of these druids/wizards are there to make plat so they can save up for something they really want. We've all been there. I've never had one ask me how much I'm paying, I usually pop about 50-75p in the trade window as soon as I see them arrive and I get good service.

Can you imagine how much DaP gets jipped by people too? I had one of my lowly druid alts tagged in DaP for a bit and got a tell from someone who was in my main's guild at the time. He had no idea it was me, but I got there quick and even sow'd him. I dropped him off at his destination and he left without tipping and disbanded. I never saw him in the same light again and from what I gather he's over at the Phinny server now.

Sirban
02-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Dey hate us cuz they anus

Skinned
02-07-2017, 08:33 AM
This thread has gotten me to raise my tipping to even higher than 1pp per level, in order to subsidize those who don't pay.

Basically, teleportation welfare for free riders.

derpcake
02-07-2017, 09:18 AM
people that want to get "rich" by porting are generally pretty bad at eq

10 ports an hour seems ambitious, so does 100pp / port, so a massive 1k/hour income on a great day?

git gud