PDA

View Full Version : Taco Bell sued for false advertising on actual content of "Ground Beef." FOURTHMEAL!

eriamjh
01-25-2011, 04:39 PM
If I were a GM IRL I'd #summon and #slay you before you could say "Yo Quiero Isolated Oat Product (http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/01/25/yo-quiero-isolated-oat-product/)"!

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/25/taco-bell-accused-of-not-meating-standards/

The fast food chain, Taco Bell, has been accused of false advertising when it refers to "seasoned beef" in its meaty Mexican fare.

The Alabaman law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles filed a lawsuit on Friday on behalf of Amanda Obney, a Californian customer of Taco Bell. Ms Obney doesn't want cash damages but demands that Taco Bell be more honest in its advertising practices.

(More on TIME.com: See the top 10 Worst Fast-Food Meals)

In a study conducted by the law firm, it was found that Taco Bell's "meat mixture", which it dubs "seasoned beef" contained less than 35 % beef. If these figures are correct, the product would fail to meet minimum requirements, set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, to be labeled as "beef". The other 65% of the "meat" is made up of water, soy lecithin, maltodextrin, silicon dioxide, anti-dusting agent and modified corn starch (amongst other ingredients more suited to a test tube than a taco).

Although Taco Bell displays these added ingredients on its website, there is no mention of just how much actual meat is contained in the product.

Rob Poetsch, a spokesman for Taco Bell, said the company denies that its advertising is misleading: "Taco Bell prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value. We're happy that the millions of customers we serve every week agree."

The verdict of the case — or the ruling from the court of public opinion — has yet to be announced.

Tumdumm
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
still gonna eat it

Chanus
01-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Like anyone thought it was actually meat.

Loke
01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I feel disgusted and betrayed that Taco Bell isn't living up to the high nutritional standards I've come to expect from American fast food chains.

Estolcles
01-25-2011, 05:14 PM
NO wonder I felt stoned after I ate 5 Taco Supremes and a Mexican Pizza.

Chanus
01-25-2011, 05:19 PM
NO wonder I felt stoned after I ate 5 Taco Supremes and a Mexican Pizza.

Actually, it's probably because you were stoned when you ordered that much food from Taco Bell.

Theldios
01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
WHERES THE BEEF!!!!!

Not in Taco-Bell Tacos thats for sure

they still taste goo though

it's all that yum yum anti-dusting agent goodness!

muddy27
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Yea thats pretty disgusting glad I havent eaten there in at least 6 months dont plan on it again. Fast Food is really bad obviously people know that but they still stuff there faces with it. Did you know that Mcdonalds and Burger Kings meat is cleaned with Amonia! look it up, also look up the video on the doctor who did an experiment and kept a mcdonalds burger and fries in a lunch pail for 6 years with NO mold on it, and the texture turned plastic like. Theres a reason why that foods cheap. America has one of the worst food systems ever. Fast Food is just the tip of the iceberg.

Chanus
01-25-2011, 06:27 PM
You keep your hands off my high-fructose corn-bread-meat, you son of a bitch!

SlankyLanky
01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
who gives a shit? if you eat taco bell you probably arnt that interested in nutritional value.

baub
01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
this news is SHOCKING

Japan
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM
look it up, also look up the video on the doctor who did an experiment and kept a mcdonalds burger and fries in a lunch pail for 6 years with NO mold on it, and the texture turned plastic like.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

Stop spreading misinformation.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
01-25-2011, 08:21 PM
It's like killing hookers... yeah I know its wrong, but I enjoy it too much to stop.

teganyavo
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
silicon dioxide?

that makes me terrified of whatever anti-dusting agent is

Fourthmeal
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Woah woah woah, anyone who buys into this bun eater propaganda is a Fuckwit.

bizzum
01-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Woah woah woah, anyone who buys into this bun eater propaganda is a Fuckwit.

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/link.asp?L=473242

Ledzepp02
01-26-2011, 03:52 AM
silicon dioxide?

that makes me terrified of whatever anti-dusting agent is

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr107/Ledzepp_wow/clean-computer-keyboard.jpg

Omnimorph
01-26-2011, 08:31 AM
silicon dioxide is good for you in food.

skulldudes
01-26-2011, 09:39 AM
fast food is bad for me? no way.

next thing they'll be telling me that these vitamins in my cigarettes don't actually stimulate my t-zone, nor make doctors beam and nod their heads in acceptance

Odeseus
01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Taco bell is one of the cheapest places to eat. Very few places offer the same volume of food for so little money (take a look at the $5 box for instance). High quality beef is simply not that cheap, but Taco Bell made a decision that to compete with other fast food, it would be the cheapest, most affordable place available. So corners had to be cut and the "beef" was one of the easiest things to cut prices with. It is much harder to fake lettuce =p

Anyway, it is a classic "you get what you pay for" deal. You can have really high quality stuff, but you're going to have to pay for it. Or you can get a ton of lower quality food for very little money. The choice is yours.

Oh, and for the record, for those of you who have never worked in a Taco Bell, the "beef" isn't labeled as such on the box it comes in. Can't remember exactly what it says now, but it certainly isn't "beef."

Versus
01-26-2011, 12:35 PM
who gives a shit? if you eat taco bell you probably arnt that interested in nutritional value.

B-i-n-g-o and bingo was his name-o.

Slashurr
01-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Taco bell is one of the cheapest places to eat. Very few places offer the same volume of food for so little money (take a look at the $5 box for instance). High quality beef is simply not that cheap, but Taco Bell made a decision that to compete with other fast food, it would be the cheapest, most affordable place available. So corners had to be cut and the "beef" was one of the easiest things to cut prices with. It is much harder to fake lettuce =p

Anyway, it is a classic "you get what you pay for" deal. You can have really high quality stuff, but you're going to have to pay for it. Or you can get a ton of lower quality food for very little money. The choice is yours.

Oh, and for the record, for those of you who have never worked in a Taco Bell, the "beef" isn't labeled as such on the box it comes in. Can't remember exactly what it says now, but it certainly isn't "beef."

ROFL you fucking loser!!! you make it sound like most of us should have worked at taco bell. Ya fucking right. Now get back behind that counter and serve me some chipotle (I assume you've risen in the ranks of tex-mex restaurants by now)

Cormac
01-26-2011, 02:00 PM

http://i56.tinypic.com/2mg8ao5.jpg

nalkin
01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Is this a win for vegetarianism?

Alawen Everywhere
01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
I'll bet not a single person changes his or her food choice based on this exciting information. People who smoke, drink, snort, shoot, and eat fast food have made the decision to shorten their life spans.

Enjoy.

Darkforge
01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Aaa damn, the forth meal guy is going to be pissed!

Humerox
01-27-2011, 01:00 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nCCN8sJcK7g" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

fischsemmel
01-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Whatever. I get lettuce on my tacos from taco bell. And I order DIET coke! EH? EH?!

AexDestroy
01-27-2011, 10:20 AM
ROFL you fucking loser!!! you make it sound like most of us should have worked at taco bell. Ya fucking right. Now get back behind that counter and serve me some chipotle (I assume you've risen in the ranks of tex-mex restaurants by now)

Chipotle is owned by McDonalds?

to0p
01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2mg8ao5.jpg

LOL

"NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR ADDED"

karsten
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM

ya dude

Extunarian
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM

It was. It hasn't been for awhile now.

Chanus
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
LOL

"NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR ADDED"

Natural Smoke (also called Liquid Smoke) is a pretty common additive, actually.

Yoite
01-27-2011, 01:59 PM
got sand in it too...fucking sand...

Krimsin
01-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Whatever. I get lettuce on my tacos from taco bell. And I order DIET coke! EH? EH?!

http://www.thefunnyads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/coke-murder-thefunnyads-com.jpg

TB serves fucking pepsi

bizzum
01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Chipotle

Chipotle is Panchero's red-headed stepchild. Go somewhere where they press your tortilla fresh.

Gross I feel like fourthmeal for advertising a mexican food chain. But its true!

Messianic
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I feel disgusted and betrayed that Taco Bell isn't living up to the high nutritional standards I've come to expect from American fast food chains.

/thread

Fourthmeal
01-28-2011, 05:03 PM
haters gonna hate

quido
01-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Chipotle is Panchero's red-headed stepchild. Go somewhere where they press your tortilla fresh.

Gross I feel like fourthmeal for advertising a mexican food chain. But its true!

You've got to be kidding me. Yes Panchero's has fresh-pressed tortillas. Unfortunately, every single other thing about that place is shittier than Chipotle. Panchero's is shit.

And on that note, I'd just like to point out that Taco Bell always has been and always will be schwag. It is satisfying schwag sometimes if the Taco Bell you visit doesn't employ a bunch of morons, but it is shit nonetheless.

Think inside the bun, bitches, and go fire up your charcoal grill and make some succulent burgers out of some ground chuck.

Messianic
01-28-2011, 05:52 PM
http://www.thefunnyads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/coke-murder-thefunnyads-com.jpg

TB serves fucking pepsi

Coke > Pepsi anyday anytime

Henini
01-28-2011, 05:58 PM
all this talk about Taco Bell just made me want some!

Supreme
01-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Taco Supreme owns me=\.