PDA

View Full Version : Which will be released first? Duke Nukem Forever or p1999 Kunark?

T7g
01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
After watching the trailer for the release of DNF. It made me think of the hilarious situation where DNF comes out before Kunark.

I'm not ragging on the devs but with DNF's hilariously bad release reputation it would be quite a milestone if it came out before Kunark!

nilbog
01-22-2011, 01:10 PM
If p99 Kunark was in development since 1997, I'd agree with you.

I do wanna play it though, if it's released before I die.

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Designer-Talks-Delay.jpg

T7g
01-22-2011, 01:11 PM
very true sir!

If you haven't seen the trailer yet, they make many references to how long the game has been in development- especially at the end.

Scrooge
01-22-2011, 02:14 PM
It hasn't really been in development that long, there were problems with licenses and other stuff that doesn't relate to development. I read an article about it not too long ago, in MaximumPC I think.

jilena
01-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Well I think the release is supposed to be in May? That's not all that far off. Of course I took a long break so I am back to not being in a huge rush for Kunark lol.

Huggie
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/333-duke-nukem-forever-is-coming-in-may/

Huggie
01-22-2011, 06:01 PM
May 3rd

Rogean
01-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Finally, in 2009, 3D Realms was shuttered (http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1127), seemingly ending the greatest charade in video games. But like its testosterone-fueled hero, to Duke Nukem Forever, death is just a pitstop.
Never one to shy from controversy, Grand Theft Auto publisher Take 2 Interactive picked up the rights and passed development duties to Gearbox Software

So basically, they only started development on this version of the game in 2009.. so don't expect it to be a 10 year masterpiece.

T7g
01-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Actually from the wiki page, it is the original content; check this->

Despite the discontinuation of internal game development at 3D Realms, development of the game did not cease entirely. Nine ex-employees including key personnel like Allen Blum, continued game development throughout 2009 from their homes. These employees would later become Triptych Games, an independent studio[66] that is currently housed in the same building as Gearbox and is collaborating with them on the project.[67]

After ceasing internal game development, 3D Realms approached noted game developers Gearbox Software[68] and asked them if they were interested in helping Triptych Games polish the nearly finished PC version and port it to the consoles.[69][70] Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford, who had worked on an expansion to Duke Nukem 3D and very briefly on Forever before he left to found Gearbox, felt that "Duke can't die" and decided that he was going to help "in Duke’s time of need".[71] He started providing funding for the game and contacted 2K Games' president to persuade his company that Gearbox and Triptych can complete the development of the game and get it released on all platforms in time. Piranha Games was contracted to build the multiplayer of the game and help with the console ports.

Loke
01-23-2011, 02:04 AM
I heard it was probably going to be the game of the year in 2001. Really excited.

Badmartigan
01-23-2011, 05:50 AM
I heard it was probably going to be the game of the year in 2001. Really excited.

Yep.... Although I think the 2001 date MAY be tentative...just speculating tho.

mitic
01-23-2011, 06:35 AM
After watching the trailer for the release of DNF. It made me think of the hilarious situation where DNF comes out before Kunark.

I'm not ragging on the devs but with DNF's hilariously bad release reputation it would be quite a milestone if it came out before Kunark!

id bet all my feathered leggings that kunark will be out before live progression servers are released. so id say within the next 2 months!

Scratch&Sniff
01-23-2011, 08:27 AM
HOLY OMG DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS GONNA LAUNCH! WTF I THOUGHT IT WAS GONE FOREVER , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAY FUCK EYAH IF YOU READ ABOUT THIS IN PCXL WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS, DIDNT THINK IT WAS EVER GONNA BE DONE! FUCDKEYAH IM FUCKING HAMMERD, OMG WTF DUKE NUKEM WTF THIS SHIT HAS BEEN IN DEV FOR LIKE 10344830975094750943 YEARS, PCXL GREATEST MAG EVER DID I TELL YO I WAS DRUNK AND RANTING ON THIS SHIT FUCKYEAH
ALSO KUNARK WILL BE OUT YEARS BEFORE THIS THIS OUT!!!

Scratch&Sniff
01-23-2011, 08:32 AM
JOHNNY MNEMONIC IS BADASS OWNS YOUR FACE 1000X A DAY MOFO

Scratch&Sniff
01-23-2011, 08:32 AM
nOT SURE WHY THAT MATTERS IS JUST MAKES ME LOL!!!!

Scratch&Sniff
01-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Movie Name: Johnny Mnemonic (1995)
Quote:

Johnny Mnemonic: Yeah, the Black Shakes. What causes it?
Spider: What causes it?
[points to various pieces of equipment throughout the room]
Spider: This causes it! This causes it! This causes it! Information
overload! All the electronics around you poisoning the airwaves.
Technological fucking civilization. But we still have all this
shit, because we cant live without it. Let me do my work.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
They brought in the real-life Duke Nukem to play test Forever, and he said it made him feel like "ripping off the developers' heads and shitting down their necks."
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYxxaWDxGdAuKuZZDm99mw5P-x797CdZVM0R34kXFLTOene2miqw
Back to the drawing board....

jilena
01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
id bet all my feathered leggings that kunark will be out before live progression servers are released. so id say within the next 2 months!

Isn't the live progression server just going to be like the normal progression servers only time locked? (i.e. the current game just locked geographically?)

ryuut1
01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
don't forget about halflife 2 chapter 3 this year...maybe...

Chanus
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Isn't the live progression server just going to be like the normal progression servers only time locked? (i.e. the current game just locked geographically?)

If it's anything like the previous one, then yes.

They weren't interested in altering anything except where you could go with the initial incarnation. I imagine it would be the same in this case, as they've repeatedly shown their unwillingness to put in any more effort than "good enough".

jilena
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
If it's anything like the previous one, then yes.

They weren't interested in altering anything except where you could go with the initial incarnation. I imagine it would be the same in this case, as they've repeatedly shown their unwillingness to put in any more effort than "good enough".

Yeah I had a little hope that maybe they'd do it different with a time locked server but from what little I have read it doesn't really sound like it.

abegeden
01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
ppl still care about p99?

for the lulz.

nilbog
01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
ppl still care about p99?

for the lulz.

/wave

DetroitVelvetSmooth
01-24-2011, 04:31 PM
who was that masked man?