PDA

View Full Version : REASONS TO PLAY THIS SERVER!

Kavanah
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Because it is fricken fun! That's right FRICKEN fun!

burkemi5
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Because it is fricken fun! That's right FRICKEN fun!

QFT

nilbog
01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
-No microtransactions to better your character or experience.

-No instances.

-No boxing of multiple characters.

-Game difficulty level of medium or greater.

-Classic EQ was fun.

That's why I would play here.

Misto
01-05-2011, 07:47 PM
i play here because of the hot old cougars

DarkRazzy
01-05-2011, 07:58 PM
less emphasis on gaining xp solely from solo questing and more focus on hunting parties. could never get into wow for that reason. also really nostalgic sinse i played when i was a lad.

Icecometus
01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Awesome customer service, better than ANY live server. Serious issues are resolved quickly by the staff, thanks guys :)

fischsemmel
01-05-2011, 09:23 PM
less emphasis on gaining xp solely from solo questing and more focus on hunting parties. could never get into wow for that reason. also really nostalgic sinse i played when i was a lad.

You couldn't get into WoW because none of the classes in it are basically forced into grouping in order to level up?

I mean, honestly, that's what leveling in early EQ was/is. There is no more "focus" on grouping than on soloing... it's just that most of the classes in the game are terrible at soloing.

Tiggles
01-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Actually getting excited when an item drops as opposed to the loot explosion that is WoW

Cheech
01-06-2011, 03:18 AM

-No instances.

-Classic EQ was fun.

I wish you played here.. EVEN if it was secretly.

DarkRazzy
01-06-2011, 03:23 AM
You couldn't get into WoW because none of the classes in it are basically forced into grouping in order to level up?

I mean, honestly, that's what leveling in early EQ was/is. There is no more "focus" on grouping than on soloing... it's just that most of the classes in the game are terrible at soloing.

got it backwards my friend. i like how in EQ you group together to hunt mobs, where as on the contrary in wow you spend most of your time solo questing unless your running an instance

DarkRazzy
01-06-2011, 03:25 AM
im a noob. misread what you said fisch, disregard my last post >.<

Kvappe
01-06-2011, 04:46 AM
Reason to play Everquest classic:

1.to much time on your hands.
2.its overall the best MMO ever made (might not have the best grafic, but the game play is awsome)
3.to much time on your hands.
4.can paly with old friends you havent played MMOs with for the past 8-10 years again.
5.to much time on your hands.

john_savage1982
01-07-2011, 05:11 AM

-No instances.

-Classic EQ was fun.

I would say the game difficulty is very easy to easy. Let's not fool ourselves the mechanics of EQ aren't exactly rocket science....or 5th grade science...

nilbog
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I would say the game difficulty is very easy to easy. Let's not fool ourselves the mechanics of EQ aren't exactly rocket science....or 5th grade science...

Cool. What game would you consider harder than elementary level, mr. savage? The entire point is that games are no longer designed to be even medium difficulty. They are all easy to.. very easy.

The way I see it is an evolution of gaming within the past 20 years.

First Generation: Very hard - hard difficulty
Most arcade games, TMNT: 1, Solstice, Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads type games. No reliance on others for the most part. Games were death traps.

Second Generation: Medium difficulty
Ultima, Everquest, Dreamcast->ps2 ?. Possibly relying on others to make sure you do not die. Or other real players having the possibility of killing you.

Current Gaming: Easy, wow clones.
World of Warcraft, Everquest 2, Rift, LOTRO.. etc.. etc.. etc. No reliance on others unless you *want* it. You can solo your whole career if you'd prefer and create instances where loot can be duplicated for your very own.

The most recent game I've played that provided any sense of difficulty was Fallout: New Vegas, on hard setting, on Hardcore mode, with small limbs perk. It still wasn't hard. Maybe if I had to go loot my corpse it would have been more difficult.

I look for hard games to play, and play them on hard. There aren't many games made anymore that are hard, but I consider Everquest at least medium.

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Cool. What game would you consider harder than elementary level, mr. savage? The entire point is that games are no longer designed to be even medium difficulty. They are all easy to.. very easy.

Most arcade games, TMNT: 1, Solstice, Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads type games. No reliance on others for the most part. Games were death traps.

Ultima, Everquest, Dreamcast->ps2 ?. Possibly relying on others to make sure you do not die. Or other real players having the possibility of killing you.

World of Warcraft, Everquest 2, Rift, LOTRO.. etc.. etc.. etc. No reliance on others unless you *want* it. You can solo your whole career if you'd prefer and create instances where loot can be duplicated for your very own.

The most recent game I've played that provided any sense of difficulty was Fallout: New Vegas, on hard setting, on Hardcore mode, with small limbs perk. It still wasn't hard. Maybe if I had to go loot my corpse it would have been more difficult.

I look for hard games to play, and play them on hard. There aren't many games made anymore that are hard, but I consider Everquest at least medium.

Just because you have to put a ridiculous amount of time into Everquest, does not make it hard. Everquest was never hard, it was time consuming.

Seaweedpimp
01-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Go solo frenzy Pre 49 since its sooooo easy =D.

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Sorry can't edit, but I wouldn't even consider it Medium difficulty.

Seaweedpimp
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Better yet, make it lord.

nilbog
01-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Just because you have to put a ridiculous amount of time into Everquest, does not make it hard. Everquest was never hard, it was time consuming.

I said it was medium, and that's due to other people being able to put you in danger against your will. I'm pretty damn sure I'm good at Everquest, and I would consider it easy as well.

It's personal preference of what I consider games. Please continue arguing with me. :D

Seaweedpimp
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Idk how someone could even say this game iss easy/hard w.e.

Theres so may situations... Some are hard....

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I said it was medium, and that's due to other people being able to put you in danger against your will. I'm pretty damn sure I'm good at Everquest, and I would consider it easy as well.

It's personal preference of what I consider games. Please continue arguing with me. :D

No problem. I don't want to argue with you. I just disagree with your list.

karsten
01-07-2011, 01:05 PM
i play here because of the hot old cougars

haha, thread should have stopped here!

nilbog
01-07-2011, 01:15 PM
No problem. I don't want to argue with you. I just disagree with your list.

Could you backup your disagreement with some examples of your own? If you consider that no games are hard, then your statement would always be true for yourself.

I believe that most people are bad at mmorpg games, so if the game allows for detrimental ignorance of your peers, it increases the difficulty level.

What aspect of gaming do you consider difficult?

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Could you backup your disagreement with some examples of your own? If you consider that no games are hard, then your statement would always be true for yourself.

I believe that most people are bad at mmorpg games, so if the game allows for detrimental ignorance of your peers, it increases the difficulty level.

What aspect of gaming do you consider difficult?

Keeping my girlfriend off my back.

Uberom
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I believe that most people are bad at mmorpg games

Especially people who play here.

Walabaego
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Keeping my girlfriend off my back.

Hm...Hm......you wreak of bad :( That List Nilbog made was quite accurate, if you were a true Gamer, you might know that. I just wanted to Nerd Rage at you for a minute. Since you are so concerned about EQ difficulty I would say Easy all the way to Hard. It all depends on how you play the game. Go into SolB, BnB with all melee group, and a druid healer. Might not be that easy after all... Damn kids these days, don't you have some WoW to play?

Walabaego
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Especially people who play here.

So many early morning fails :P

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Hm...Hm......you wreak of bad :( That List Nilbog made was quite accurate, if you were a true Gamer, you might know that. I just wanted to Nerd Rage at you for a minute. Since you are so concerned about EQ difficulty I would say Easy all the way to Hard. It all depends on how you play the game. Go into SolB, BnB with all melee group, and a druid healer. Might not be that easy after all... Damn kids these days, don't you have some WoW to play?

In the same sentence you managed to agree that EQ is at medium difficulty, then go on to say its Easy all the way to Hard ? which is it ? do you know what your talking about ? Your Solb example is retarded. When going with a proper group it becomes ... easy. Making a game hard on yourself isn't the same as a game being hard.

I can make Mario hard if I close my eyes and play with my toes.

Walabaego
01-07-2011, 01:55 PM
In the same sentence you managed to agree that EQ is at medium difficulty, then go on to say its Easy all the way to Hard ? which is it ? do you know what your talking about ? Your Solb example is retarded. When going with a proper group it becomes ... easy. Making a game hard on yourself isn't the same as a game being hard.

I can make Mario hard if I close my eyes and play with my toes.

I said what I wanted to say :) Oh and You're. You're.

Aum
01-07-2011, 02:00 PM
I said what I wanted to say :) Oh and You're. You're.

He used it properly.

Walabaego
01-07-2011, 02:01 PM
He used it properly.

1/2

Walabaego
01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
1/2

I'll explain so a brain doesn't pop. Two Yours used. One correctly. This has been fun :)

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't know what I'm talking about and being a grammar Nazi is my defense mechanism.

Thought so.

Walabaego
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Thought so.

You just aren't worth explaining it to :(

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 03:08 PM
You just aren't worth explaining it to :(

Please humor me.

Walabaego
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Please humor me.

Well, the title of this thread is Reasons To Play This Server (Caps). Wouldn't you rather be playing some fun EQ instead of Forum wars? Method to the Madness my friend.

Of course this is humorous to me in general, but it's all about the big picture :)

Kassel
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
do you know what your talking about

do you know what you are talking about

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Well, the title of this thread is Reasons To Play This Server (Caps). Wouldn't you rather be playing some fun EQ instead of Forum wars? Method to the Madness my friend.

Of course this is humorous to me in general, but it's all about the big picture :)

If "you're" concerned with the title of the thread why bother posting in the first place ? I would also argue, that having a conversation about the difficulty of everquest can be related to the reasons you play on this server...

Yes,of course I would rather be playing. Work prohibits me from grinding out exp while on the clock. ( It's bullshit though, I see my boss playing some lame Facebook game)

Walabaego
01-07-2011, 03:49 PM
If "you're" concerned with the title of the thread why bother posting in the first place ? I would also argue, that having a conversation about the difficulty of everquest can be related to the reasons you play on this server...

Yes,of course I would rather be playing. Work prohibits me from grinding out exp while on the clock. ( It's bullshit though, I see my boss playing some lame Facebook game)

No concern here, just jib jabbering. Also earlier the ''list'' I was talking about the whole list, but since you rabble'd about me not knowing what I say...Here we are, tell your boss he owes me for you having a free hour at work to post on Forums.

Humerox
01-07-2011, 04:53 PM

You - more than likely - played post-Alakhazam and 50 billion other spolier sites when everything was handed to you on a silver platter.

Everquest before that was both hard and time-consuming. That's one of the reasons I've always suggested custom content here...to reintroduce the "hard".

Humerox
01-07-2011, 04:54 PM
You - more than likely - played post-Alakhazam and 50 billion other spoiler sites when everything was handed to you on a silver platter.

Everquest before that was both hard and time-consuming. That's one of the reasons I've always suggested custom content here...to reintroduce the "hard".

corrected for the grammar po-po.

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 05:01 PM
You - more than likely - played post-Alakhazam and 50 billion other spolier sites when everything was handed to you on a silver platter.

I played day 1. Thanks for coming out though.

Seaweedpimp
01-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I played day 1. Thanks for coming out though.

Ah, who hasnt?

:rolleyes:

Chanus
01-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Ah, who hasnt?

:rolleyes:

I didn't start til May 1999, so I haven't.

Everquest was never hard. It's all about how willing you are to sit and wait.

Humerox
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Ok pimps...tell me what was easy about locating quests, finding content, and all that jazz with no spoilers.

I don't think it was easy. Must be me, tho.

Chanus
01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
H

I located a quest!

guineapig
01-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Have to agree with my boy here. Some quests took forever to discover and even longer to solve.

People were doing the research on all of this independent of each other too. In the case of the big guilds they also didn't openly share their knowledge even after figuring stuff out.

If you played the game to hit 50, no that isn't hard, that's time consuming.
If you were a completist or a min/maxer back before the days of spoilers it was a full time job.

john_savage1982
01-07-2011, 06:11 PM

I disagree with you because I wouldn't group MMORPGs with single-player games like Battletoads. MMORPGs are a class of their own with their own difficulty ratings. If you want to divide the two, Everquest up there with medium and hard. However, if you want to compare EQ to every game in general then Everquest is very very easy. The only difficulty factor involved in EQ is time-consumption, which is why the "best players" are those who play the most.

How many of you are able to beat Battletoads easily? Imagine raid encounters that are hard as beating Battletoads. Encounters like that would make EQ "hard".

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Have to agree with my boy here. Some quests took forever to discover and even longer to solve.

People were doing the research on all of this independent of each other too. In the case of the big guilds they also didn't openly share their knowledge even after figuring stuff out.

If you played the game to hit 50, no that isn't hard, that's time consuming.
If you were a completist or a min/maxer back before the days of spoilers it was a full time job.

Hi Guineapig, pleasure to meet you.

I'm almost done work, so I'll stop being a troll over this... My question to you is: Does the amount of time a task takes represent its difficulty ?

Descent
01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Shit battletoads, TMNT 1, and fucking old school double dragon.

Those games I swear I had to replace my controllers 20x because I would get so frustrated and throw em.

Humerox
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm almost done work, so I'll stop being a troll over this... My question to you is: Does the amount of time a task takes represent its difficulty ?

question wasn't directed at me, but I have one for you. Are you saying that all it took to solve EQ quests at the beginning was time? That a little brain-work wasn't involved? that figuring out raid content was easy...before there were instructional sites and youtube videos? and recipes...yada yada yada?

I thought it was a bitch, lol.

Massive Marc
01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
question wasn't directed at me, but I have one for you. Are you saying that all it took to solve EQ quests at the beginning was time? That a little brain-work wasn't involved? that figuring out raid content was easy...before there were instructional sites and youtube videos? and recipes...yada yada yada?

I thought it was a bitch, lol.

Hi Humerox,

Thanks for the question. My answer would be, Yes, all it took was time to complete quests. I did not have to use much brain power when the NPC tells you where to go, what to kill and what loot to bring back.

Raids have a degree of difficulty due to having to interact with other players (Nilbog touched on this) Learning raids was tedious due the skill curve within each raid.

Am I wrong in thinking there is a difference between learning something seemingly hard, and then finding it to be easy or something that is continually hard ? ( hope that makes sense, I'm kinda rushing this so I can leave work)

john_savage1982
01-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Quests in EQ are pretty vague so first time through it can be annoying - but still only time consuming. Since quests in classic EQ don't go much farther then kill mob X, loot item Y, and return to npc Z, I'd say they are pretty easy.

Raid encounters? Back when most people were playing on 56k dial up and not using team-speak/ventrilo and most people didn't have cell phones, yeah, they might have been problematic. Still, with enough people, any encounter was possible. Wiping on a raid was annoying - but summoning corpses/rezzes was time consuming - not hard.

What are we measuring? EQ before people knew how to play or P1999? I'll accept that back when EQ was new it was more in the medium range - only because mechanics weren't discovered. Now that it is cookie-cutter, P1999 is very easy to easy. Somehow I don't remember 100+ people in raid zones daily back on classic....but may be I played on a low population server.

Humerox
01-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Am I wrong in thinking there is a difference between learning something seemingly hard, and then finding it to be easy or something that is continually hard ? ( hope that makes sense, I'm kinda rushing this so I can leave work)

Actually no...and I concede the point.

:)

Alawen Everywhere
01-08-2011, 12:05 AM
The people saying no brain power obviously never played without spoilers. This game was fucking hard as hell through GoD era when I quit. We wiped for weeks figuring out Zun and it was a 72-man raid. A lot of the encounters in the PoP/GoD era couldn't be chain zerged.

john_savage1982
01-08-2011, 04:20 AM
The people saying no brain power obviously never played without spoilers. This game was fucking hard as hell through GoD era when I quit. We wiped for weeks figuring out Zun and it was a 72-man raid. A lot of the encounters in the PoP/GoD era couldn't be chain zerged.

Well, GoD was created with raid encounters aimed at a higher max level. No wonder most guilds didn't complete them until OoW.

Once raid encounters became heavily scripted some strategy was involved.

Alisa
01-08-2011, 05:25 AM
OMFG
People, why can't you just come in, post YOUR reasons to play on this server then move on? You are sucking the fun out of the OP. Nobody really cares about each individual opinion of:
-How hard is hard
-How long when it's hard
-How long can you keep it hard

Wait... Am I still talking about EQ?
:confused: