PDA

View Full Version : ;_; Where is The Winds of Winter?

XDrake
12-06-2015, 01:55 AM
I imagine I can't be the only fan of A Song of Ice And Fire/Game Of Thrones.

I had extremely high hopes we would see Winds of Winter by Christmas. Now I suspect we won't before the premiere of season 6. :(

I've been waiting to know how the two major battles in the last book end for years now. >_<

indiscriminate_hater
12-06-2015, 01:57 AM
he's been averaging about 5 years per book, so 2016 sounds reasonable. i'm pretty disappointed that the end of the story will be known in a couple of years via TV show when some people have been waiting over 2 decades for the book series to be complete

XDrake
12-06-2015, 02:02 AM
I know this is typical GRRM, but with him openly working full time at it since summer I had been hoping to see TWOW before the season debut. Sadly, the final book A Dream of Spring has no chance of being out before series ends it.

I like the series, but it is two different things now. The ending will be the same.

indiscriminate_hater
12-06-2015, 02:07 AM
unfortunately "full time" for GRRM means about 4 hours of actual work per week. i was reading his blog every week for a couple years waiting for ADWD to come out and was astonished by the shit he's able to distract himself with.

pretty sure he lost his passion for the project after feast for crows

XDrake
12-06-2015, 09:40 AM
I think he kind of painted himself into a corner with AFFC and a bit of ADWD. He's built Planetos to be so big and vast he can't stop creating and complete his characters' arcs. I imagine most of the next two books will be convolving the rest of the characters.

The first three books are definitely some of the best I ever read. The last two? They needed more editing, but I still enjoyed them.

I'll be honest... I'm aching to see how the Stannis and Barristan end up.

Swish
12-06-2015, 11:06 AM
It must be flattering that people are pining for more, but honestly if you want things out of an author faster than they naturally work I'd prepare to be disappointed with things feeling rushed.

I'm sure the guy has enough pressure on him from fans, production crews, etc that'll taint the purity of what he puts out.

I didn't enjoy the last TV series so much, personally.

XDrake
12-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Very true rushing art can make less quality. The sad thing is the first three books were written fairly close together... The last two have taken a decade.

This was definitely their weakest season, but it has one of the best episodes in the series (Hardholm) and some amazing set ups for good plots... Seeing Tyrion and Dany interact was extremely pleasing.