PDA

View Full Version : I get paid to hold a spear.

Leopaz
11-08-2015, 10:51 PM
I just thought I'd share this little tidbit. So, I'm at Air Force officer training school, and holy shit some of it suuucks (4:45AM PT outside, then getting your ass kicked and doing nonstop stressful stuff until 11PM). BUT, when shit gets even shittier, I stop and remind myself that I have a legitimate reason to stand around and hold a spear for hours (I'm the standard bearer for my group), and I get paid to do it. It's nice that everyone here is also a super nerd (Air Force), and we all get our asses kicked together. I wonder if any other p99ers are here, simply because there's so many people here who fit the bill.

Anywho, also, when I have to run through the middle of nowhere and use a compass (sense heading) without a map (classic) to get to targets, I can't help but think about how funny it is that now instead of playing it in EQ I'm doing it fo' real. Too bad there's no autorun and people actually do get hurt. People have been booted for not passing PT scores or they've broken bones on obstacle courses (Velks lab) and can't continue. Luckily, I have access to a computer since all of the firehose that is the academic curriculum is online. No time to play of course, but I'll probably be able to play again some time in late January. Someone MQ me some leather drops.

Leopaz

Yaskin
11-08-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks for serving our country man.

Pyrocat
11-08-2015, 11:43 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Pokesan
11-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Pro-tip: Don't get married while in the military, that will only end in tears.

Hitachi
11-09-2015, 03:10 AM
god bless and break a leg

OfftuneRZ
11-09-2015, 03:15 AM
Im guessing you were not tough enough to join a real branch of the military. Air force is the laughing stock of active duty military branches.

DeadlyReza
11-09-2015, 05:11 AM
Im guessing you were not tough enough to join a real branch of the military. Air force is the laughing stock of active duty military branches.

Sounds like you couldn't even make it into the military... lol I'm laughing at your poor excuse for a post.

OP thank you for your service :)

Haters gone hate

Kushie
11-09-2015, 05:12 AM
I'll have Leather ready for you

Swish
11-09-2015, 07:13 AM
Have you tried Call of EverQuest: Red Ops ?

Get some combat training today.

surf3001x
11-09-2015, 08:03 AM

actually, 9/10 times if you asked someone from another branch they'd say they wish they'd gone USAF.

USAF vet here and happy as hell with my choice.

OP you doing rotc, academy or OTS? I was a mustang myself.

Pullyn
11-09-2015, 09:15 AM

You sure? I sure do seem to catch alot of shit for being Coast Guard. Then again having the same benefits and pay without a lot of the bullshit is rather nice.

fadetree
11-09-2015, 09:28 AM
All branches say the other ones suck. AF here. I used to listen to the jarheads running by every morning at like 3am, and then I'd get up to go to my nice safe comfortable office to write code. This code helped make very large things explode in interesting ways, which was intended to help the jarheads. They used to make fun of us for being 'the nerd force', but they knew they couldn't get far without us.

OfftuneRZ
11-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Sounds like you couldn't even make it into the military... lol I'm laughing at your poor excuse for a post.

OP thank you for your service :)

Haters gone hate

This fucking guy either has some sort of psychic powers (that do not work) or is a complete idiot. That was a terrible attempt to judge the character of my service by a post on elf quest forums. Im glad that I made two deployments defending your constitutional rights to make a retarded post on these forums. You are welcome btw.

Whirled
11-09-2015, 11:02 AM
/salute

Sadre Spinegnawer
11-09-2015, 12:43 PM
eq + military is classic. lots of military played on live back in the day too. always was a pleasure, as a civilian, to kill dragons with them. /cheer

Charlievox
11-09-2015, 01:30 PM
There is a scene in the movie "A Few Good Men" where one Marine says to another, "We're supposed to fight for those who can't fight for themselves."
I am one of those who can't. There has never been a point in my life where I would have been able to meet the physical requirements to serve in the military. Nor, do I believe that I am psychologically suited for a military lifrstyle.
I greatly admire and appreciate, along with not a small amount of envy, those who do choose and are able to serve. I truely believe that you represent what we as Americans would like to think of as the best of what it is to be American.

I just wanted you to know that.

I am also a professional computer geek and envy you your job of writing code that makes things go boom! That's gotta be kick-ass! :D

Zodiacrat0222
11-09-2015, 03:03 PM

This may be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.
I'm an Air Force veteran. I served during Operation Desert Storm/Desert Shield as an A.W.A.C.S. Crew Chief.
If you don't know what that is, I suggest you look it up since it's the backbone of staging wars by air.

ALL branches of the military are necessary and ALL branches of the military train together, fight together, and are ready to die together to save the soldier next to them, regardless of what uniform they wear.

We, as a country would not be able to invade and concur across the world without air superiority (Air Force).
We would not be able to defend and attack coastal regions without sea superiority (Navy-Coast Guard).
We would not be able to hold the territories we capture without land superiority (Army-Marines).

Instead of regurgitating bad information from the mid 1900's when Army Air split from the Army and became the Air Force, and Naval ground forces split from the Navy and became the Marines, by saying any branch of military is "the laughing stock"; this is just stupid.
The USA is the military power-house it is today because every branch does its job and does its job very well. We all need each other to succeed and the respect for the soldiers should be automatic.

Thank you OfftuneRZ for serving your country. We all appreciate it. :)

Lifebar
11-09-2015, 04:34 PM
LEOPAZ!!

If you can get torpor to go with that spear do you just go AWOL and solo plat camps?

<3

Ryanx3d
11-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Pro-tip: Don't get married while in the military, that will only end in tears.

BEST LESSON I NEVER HAD TO LEARN THE HARD WAY

Zodiacrat0222
11-09-2015, 05:20 PM
*Edit:

I meant to thank Leopaz for his service, but was not paying attention and typed OfftuneRZ by mistake; so thank you Leopaz.
However, if OfftuneRZ did in fact serve, I will still thank you as well.

OfftuneRZ
11-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Look at all the chair force coming out of the wood work on this thread, all those women sure do get rattled easily. And yes, I know what a crew chief is. They do all of the shitty jobs on the aircraft, we call them brown shirts in the Navy and are usually the lowest ranking airmen in the squadron, the Air force just glorifies the job and calls them "Crew Chiefs"

Bruno
11-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Look at all the chair force coming out of the wood work on this thread, all those women sure do get rattled easily. And yes, I know what a crew chief is. They do all of the shitty jobs on the aircraft, we call them brown shirts in the Navy and are usually the lowest ranking airmen in the squadron, the Air force just glorifies the job and calls them "Crew Chiefs"

Your self-esteem is that low that you feel the need to brag about deployments and berate fellow soldiers? You're not winning forumquest here, especially in server chat. You're just making yourself look like a colossal douchebag.

Swish
11-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Is that like being a Team Leader in KFC?

I jest of course. I'm ex British Army and my dad was in the Royal Navy. Its worse for soldiers nowadays because when they come home from a tour of duty they're not given much respect and ever moreso public opinion is we shouldnt be fighting in other countries. More than that, the muslims protest when soldiers parade through the streets sometimes.

Spare a thought for the kids who were shit academically at school and chose to serve Queen and country instead. I'd buy them all a drink.

I got paid to sit on a horse. Managed to meditate at the same time etc ;)

captnamazing
11-09-2015, 07:04 PM
u a horse meditator swish?

Eastwood
11-09-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm guessing you are not at the academy? I was there this weekend for the Airforce/Army game.

Anyways I did the ROTC thing a few years ago and while the airforce was practicing carrying "spears" or guidons, we landed 2 UH60s on the soccer field at ASU and took off for missions outside of Phoenix and then triumphantly returned by that afternoon. It was funny because the Airforce ROTC was doing a recruitment field day, I'm pretty sure the rotor wash of those UH60 turned a few potential recruit's heads to the Army that day.

There's not really a need to bash the services, but when you're in one, it's hard not to have pride for your own service and sort of look at the cushy lifestyle of the Airforce with some degree of contempt.

Fame
11-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Disgusting levels of military hero worship in this thread, they kill poor brown people for a living and the last war we fought for "freedom" was WWII

Salute this mother fucks

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9z78sM326Vc/hqdefault.jpg

Redi
11-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks 2 all our servicemen. We appreciate you.

Danth
11-09-2015, 09:28 PM
...and the last war we fought for "freedom" was WWII

The South Koreans might have something to say about that. Of course, the Korean conflict isn't nicknamed the "forgotten war" for no reason.

The other style of wars the US so often finds itself in are nothing new. During the first decades of the twentieth century there was something of a running joke in the press that the U.S. Army was little more than the militarized arm of the United Fruit Company. Fact is the U.S. has been in a state of almost constant conflict since the Spanish-American war, at least. Instead of blaming Bush, blame McKinley.

Danth

Aviann
11-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Disgusting levels of military hero worship in this thread, they kill poor brown people for a living and the last war we fought for "freedom" was WWII

Salute this mother fucks

I've got a few friends you'd fit right in with. They were all in the military. I guess you learn more when you are paid to keep your mouth shut.

Champion_Standing

Pretty sure the air force is a real branch of the military bro....I mean they have a website and everything check it out

captnamazing
The other style of wars the US so often finds itself in are nothing new. During the first decades of the twentieth century there was something of a running joke in the press that the U.S. Army was little more than the militarized arm of the United Fruit Company. Fact is the U.S. has been in a state of almost constant conflict since the Spanish-American war, at least. Instead of blaming Bush, blame McKinley.
Danth

ya, if you look at the USMC service history there's a ton of expeditions and stuff where they kill a bunch of locals. it's pretty rad. such as when we conquered hawaii

Champion_Standing
11-09-2015, 09:34 PM

Salute this mother fucks

Operation Iraqi Freedom

It's right in the name quit being dumb

JboxCSU
11-09-2015, 09:49 PM
TSA best branch of 'murican security.

Their stockpiles of toothpaste and deodorant keep us all safe.

Cheers to you TSA agent!

muggalol
11-09-2015, 11:01 PM
I was navy and everyday i wish i joined the USAF now i realize why its hard to rank up because nobody wants to get out.

PlatLordlolz
11-09-2015, 11:31 PM
i was army infantry, my only regret was not getting that goddamn knife kill.

iruinedyourday
11-09-2015, 11:44 PM
I was in the infantry too, you should all just assume im a hero but I raped every day was glorious

iruinedyourday
11-09-2015, 11:44 PM
wait got raped by my CO i lied, it was terrible. :(

iruinedyourday
11-09-2015, 11:53 PM
jk guys u'r allright whatevs.. but I think teachers are the real heros

captnamazing
11-10-2015, 02:29 AM
t-t-triple post confirmed mad, sad, or bad

Lune
11-10-2015, 02:34 AM
Is this thread about life in the military?

I've been having so much sex with my body pillow that it stands on its own now.

Aviann
11-10-2015, 02:37 AM
Is this thread about life in the military?

I've been having so much sex with my body pillow that it stands on its own now.

This was the perfect ending to my night. Thank you, Lune. lol

OfftuneRZ
11-10-2015, 05:47 AM
Your self-esteem is that low that you feel the need to brag about deployments and berate fellow soldiers? You're not winning forumquest here, especially in server chat. You're just making yourself look like a colossal douchebag.

This guy would not even make it through the first day of bootcamp, grow some thick skin you carebear. Im just busting the airforce balls, every branch of the military likes to rag on the others. Btw hes not a fellow soldier, that would make him army, and I am certainly not a soldier.

Bruno
11-10-2015, 05:58 AM
This guy would not even make it through the first day of bootcamp, grow some thick skin you carebear. Im just busting the airforce balls, every branch of the military likes to rag on the others. Btw hes not a fellow soldier, that would make him army, and I am certainly not a soldier.

This fucking guy either has some sort of psychic powers (that do not work) or is a complete idiot. That was a terrible attempt to judge the character of my service by a post on elf quest forums. Im glad that I made two deployments defending your constitutional rights to make a retarded post on these forums. You are welcome btw.

Hypocrite much? Your psychic powers are failing you as well. My original MOS is 19D. Good try though. Not everyone here is so insecure that they need to boast about their military career. You doing anything with those army experiences and benefits besides living in the past?

Troxx
11-10-2015, 07:31 AM

Sounds like a Butthurt army grunt tired of sleeping in a ditch. Quit drinking that haterade and embrace the suck fella.

Verath
11-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Interesting that there is a large population of military here. Surely it has nothing to do with how successful the average P99 player is. :rolleyes:

Scholarships are easy to obtain and university is relatively inexpensive in the long run. Remember that kids.

Kyff
11-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Operation Iraqi Freedom

It's right in the name quit being dumb

Please look just a little bit below the surface before you insult other players. Just because it has "freedom" in its name it doesn't necessarily have this result.

On the other hand I would like this thread to sway from glorifying the US military service to praising the Singhalese housewifes.

Praise them. Their country would be worse off without them.

Troxx
11-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Interesting that there is a large population of military here. Surely it has nothing to do with how successful the average P99 player is. :rolleyes:

Scholarships are easy to obtain and university is relatively inexpensive in the long run. Remember that kids.

Scholarships for medical school? Not so much.

200-500k in post graduate loans aren't fun, remember that kids.

Oh wait, did that not fit in with your narrative with how successful (or not) the p99 community is?

Curse you tiny toilet!!

OfftuneRZ
11-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Hypocrite much? Your psychic powers are failing you as well. My original MOS is 19D. Good try though. Not everyone here is so insecure that they need to boast about their military career. You doing anything with those army experiences and benefits besides living in the past?

Reading comprehension is not your thing. Where did you come up with my army experiences? Who would be dumb enough to join that branch? Must be a new military with someone such as yourself is so sensitive, grow some balls, thick skin and boast once in a while!

Swish
11-10-2015, 10:32 AM

Just do what we do here. Graduate and either...

A) Emigrate.
B) Declare ourselves bankrupt if its a lot of money.

The British government is having a "brain drain" like never before because of their insistence on charging for an education. The good folks that got it together are out in Australia/NZ/Canada or some other part of Europe.

Debts? What debts. Not paying mine.

maerilith
11-10-2015, 10:41 AM
/pras for servering the counturay.

but srsly, i doubt the airforce is ever going to be as bad ass as any of the dumb shit the army has to offer.

p.s. the airforce probably has it's shit together a little more than the army, I always remember being jealous of all the airforce cadets

Kyff
11-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Just do what we do here. Graduate and either...

A) Emigrate.
B) Declare ourselves bankrupt if its a lot of money.

The British government is having a "brain drain" like never before because of their insistence on charging for an education. The good folks that got it together are out in Australia/NZ/Canada or some other part of Europe.

Debts? What debts. Not paying mine.

If you intend to do this, please seek proper advice.

A) It is possible to collect debts in AUS/NZ/CAN
B) At least in those parts of continental Europe I know, debts accrued by criminal offenses are not wiped out by bankruptcy. Receiving credit you never intend and are never able to pay back, may be considered a criminal offense.

Sometimes I get the feeling brain drains happen to people as well as countries.

maerilith
11-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Assume, a new identity. Do not emmigrate as an american citizen.

That leaves you with some real shitty piss poor options for countries though as most 1st world countries won't let you easily do that.

maerilith
11-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Oh and anywhere else you can go, you can be found and extracted from. If you're wanted enough. Doubt some petty debt would get you extracted from Uganda though.

maerilith
11-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Better to stick with your debt, and pay it off, and at least try to live in a decent country!

Swish
11-10-2015, 10:53 AM
If you intend to do this, please seek proper advice.

A) It is possible to collect debts in AUS/NZ/CAN
B) At least in those parts of continental Europe I know, debts accrued by criminal offenses are not wiped out by bankruptcy. Receiving credit you never intend and are never able to pay back, may be considered a criminal offense.

Sometimes I get the feeling brain drains happen to people as well as countries.

I'm more of a "if they want it, they can contact me" kind of guy. But if I'm in China/Columbia/etc for a couple of years before moving on to my final destination and using my 2nd passport (dual citizen) it muddies the waters.

Fair enough, if they want to spend those kinds of resources tracking people down.. but these are times of austerity and they just don't have the resources. It'll get written off at some point.

Swish
11-10-2015, 10:54 AM
...and just to reiterate, education should be free. The MPs who voted for tuition fees all went through universities here for free.

Kyff
11-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Fair enough.

I liked your dog .gif better.

maerilith
11-10-2015, 10:57 AM
...and just to reiterate, education should be free. The MPs who voted for tuition fees all went through universities here for free.

That depends on the social structure of said country. People need to be compensated. Either through some kind of community tax system that's not shitty communist dictatorship corrupt crap. Or through a system somewhat more like Americas. I hate debt and student loans. But it's at least an option for us in the states and it COULD be worse.

I would like it if America would get on board and instead of spending billions on a military industrial complex, used some of that money to improve the quality of life of millions of people. But it would have to be done right.

Sadre Spinegnawer
11-10-2015, 01:07 PM
You have to understand what the US military does. Largely, it exists to secure sea and air lanes in the interests of Western capital, and, if necessary, obliterate land obstacles to the interests of Western capital. That's why the US can basically print money at will and nothing happens. Without the US military's global presence, regional power vacuums would be filled with all kinds of instability.

Just saying. This is basic realpolitik. Learn, and become the smartest person at yer next cocktail party, where words like honor, code, loyalty are used as a punchline...

Civilian here. Just a very informed one.

Vrez ZVyx
11-10-2015, 01:39 PM
I have to admit, that first post seemed a bit inflammatory, if not boasting, so I am not surprised to see some of the responses in this post.

And... Air Force, 17 years. I started playing EQ a little after joining.

PlatLordlolz
11-10-2015, 01:59 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Ni52HxV.jpg

PlatLordlolz
11-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Reading comprehension is not your thing. Where did you come up with my army experiences? Who would be dumb enough to join that branch? Must be a new military with someone such as yourself is so sensitive, grow some balls, thick skin and boast once in a while!

he was a cav scout, of course hes sesitive.

Eastwood
11-10-2015, 03:06 PM
I've seen the CAV Scout memes, were you 11C?

PlatLordlolz
11-10-2015, 04:09 PM
I've seen the CAV Scout memes, were you 11C?

i was 11B.

Bruno
11-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Oh you guys :D.

Verath
11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Scholarships for medical school? Not so much.

Oh wait, did that not fit in with your narrative with how successful (or not) the p99 community is?

Curse you tiny toilet!!

What school did you go to or look at that would land you anywhere near 500k? I only shelled out around 140k total after two years.

I also said the "average" player. I doubt you even passed the pre-req classes with that kind of reading comprehension.

PlatLordlolz
11-10-2015, 09:04 PM
i wish was a requirement that you duel to the death when you talk shit on the internet, less people would give their snide and sarcastic remarks.

Pokesan
11-10-2015, 09:08 PM
i wish was a requirement that you duel to the death when you talk shit on the internet, less people would give their snide and sarcastic remarks.

still feeding and cleaning up after another dude brochacho?

PlatLordlolz
11-10-2015, 09:13 PM
still feeding and cleaning up after another dude brochacho?

that reminds me, i should update that thread, lol.

Bruno
11-10-2015, 09:28 PM

With all of the practice you've gotten' on red99 for irl pvp, I'm sure everyone around these parts are relieved that's not a reality.

SamwiseRed
11-10-2015, 10:26 PM
"Air Force officer training school"

a hearty lol from the gut

Troxx
11-11-2015, 04:06 AM
I also said the "average" player. I doubt you even passed the pre-req classes with that kind of reading comprehension.

Oh the irony ...

What school did you go to or look at that would land you anywhere near 500k? I only shelled out around 140k total after two years.

So you shelled out 140k in two years? Med school is 4 years, double your sum and you're sitting at 280k for 4 years of school. And yes, med school loans for 4 years tend to start at the quarter million mark and go up from there.

I'm happy to serve as a military doc. They're happy to pay for my school. Nice symbiotic relationship there eh?

Reading comprehension.

Champion_Standing
11-11-2015, 04:22 AM
Please look just a little bit below the surface before you insult other players. Just because it has "freedom" in its name it doesn't necessarily have this result.

On the other hand I would like this thread to sway from glorifying the US military service to praising the Singhalese housewifes.

Praise them. Their country would be worse off without them.

Absolutely not

Swish
11-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Oh the irony ...

So you shelled out 140k in two years? Med school is 4 years, double your sum and you're sitting at 280k for 4 years of school. And yes, med school loans for 4 years tend to start at the quarter million mark and go up from there.

I'm happy to serve as a military doc. They're happy to pay for my school. Nice symbiotic relationship there eh?

Reading comprehension.

I've heard about you Army docs. Whatever is wrong, pump them full of morphine. If that doesnt work, get ready to fold a flag and say how brave the guy was.

Troxx
11-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Sorry swish, I'm not in the army.

jakerees
11-11-2015, 07:03 PM
At Maxwell?

I'm going down there for AMS sometime next year.

Pik
11-11-2015, 07:19 PM
We don't know where we are going because we don't know where we have been.

Leopaz
11-12-2015, 11:47 PM
At Maxwell?

I'm going down there for AMS sometime next year.

Yes, I'm at Maxwell. coming for TFOT? From what I understand they aren't going to separately train ANG, AD, and Reserve any more.

Leopaz
11-12-2015, 11:50 PM
I have to admit, that first post seemed a bit inflammatory, if not boasting, so I am not surprised to see some of the responses in this post.

And... Air Force, 17 years. I started playing EQ a little after joining.

What I said was boasting? I wanted to share that I thought of things in EQ terms on occasion just to get through some crap. Yes, I guess I did boast that I get paid to hold a spear.

Leopaz
11-13-2015, 12:00 AM
Wow, didn't expect so much discussion, but I guess the internet will internet. I've never been too clear on why people make fun of the Air Force. I'm 31 and married- It's a little too late to turn me into some super soldier and really mold me (I didn't join the Air Force in response to seeing American Sniper.) My job just requires flight status, and other than a pistol, I'll likely never shoot any guns. I am always baffled by why the military is primarily ranked by hardcore-ness. Nuclear, space, and cyberspace stuff is pretty sweet to me and it's easy to argue their importance. I prefer to pretend I'm at Starfleet academy.

Efwan
11-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Lol jesus christ offtune lay off the oo rahs from your heyday when you were eating MRE's and lying in a ditch (thanks for that btw) while us air force guys made the same amount of money because let's be honest, you gotta have some brains to qualify for most AF jobs. We definitely have our share of idiots though.

Signed,

Another AF guy.

P.s. OP congrats on selection for OTS and it's a small flying world decent chance if you end up on c17s our paths would cross haha.

Aviann
11-13-2015, 12:46 AM
All I can say is that I'm planning a royal rumble in my back yard between 3 of my AF's buddies, 2 of my marine buddies, and 3 of my army buddies. I will keep you informed of what happens.

Including the responses when I invite them... (best part imo)

Aviann
11-13-2015, 12:47 AM
And 1 navy buddy. He's gonna lose though, pretty much a prick firegiant.

Ragefire
11-13-2015, 01:08 AM
thank you for your service

Verath
11-13-2015, 06:15 AM
Oh the irony ...

Reading comprehension.

I'm going to assume that you mean after interest rates...in regards to half a million. On the other hand you can graduate, work and live like frugal bum.

I digress, lets be honest. The average P99 player isn't successful. I've met a good amount of players that were unemployed and on benefits. The sad thing is they told me with a degree of pride. As if being able to log in at any time to raid was impressive.

I could have a larger sample size but I don't have time anymore. P99 fucked me up for a few months and I fell behind. It's fun visiting the RnF from time to time when the misc is slow...or when there are only posts by FA phaggots crying about sloots. I swear nobody there lifts anymore, its become Reddit 2.0.

Swish
11-13-2015, 07:37 AM
you should try red instead of giving up altogether, you can accomplish more while playing less.

give it some thought.