PDA

View Full Version : Camp Check

vimon
09-05-2015, 06:08 AM
For the 2nd day running, I've been pulling an odd mob from a camp whilst I work when all of a sudden someone turns up and pulls the entire camp and continues to do so, even when I ask for just one (as I root/dot).

This is a great server but the learning curve for 'new' players with no gear, no money and no highlevel to twink them is hard enough without other players just turning up and stealing camps.

Back in the day, the first thing people would do when they zoned was a camp check, and those camps were then respected. It seems in the 15 years since EQ was developed, people just don't respect each other anymore.

Today, it made me mad enough to just camp out. I will probably log back in when I'm not as angry but I can't help think that this server is hard enough for new people to get into without the players on here making it worse.

/rant off.

Cecily
09-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Sometimes I like to claim things in OOC I know other people are camping just for fun.

Viscian
09-05-2015, 07:36 AM
I camped a level 8 toon in TD without roleplay/anon on just to call out Raptors when someone did a CC. I had several people whisper asking to be added to list. Then I would go back to playing on Red or watching Game of Thrones.

Very few people /who when zoning in and realized I was 8 and took the camp.

maerilith
09-05-2015, 08:21 AM
RMT is not == work bra

Swish
09-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Sometimes I like to claim things in OOC I know other people are camping just for fun.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/920352c01569d2d95a522bb2c2e8630a/tumblr_inline_n3kvc9tnhJ1stpir1.gif

I've done that a few times. Great fun in Seb if you're chilling while lfg at NG and see that disco or chef just wiped trying to get to the zone line.

Ranndom
09-05-2015, 10:49 AM
For the 2nd day running, I've been pulling an odd mob from a camp whilst I work when all of a sudden someone turns up and pulls the entire camp and continues to do so, even when I ask for just one (as I root/dot).

This is a great server but the learning curve for 'new' players with no gear, no money and no highlevel to twink them is hard enough without other players just turning up and stealing camps.

Back in the day, the first thing people would do when they zoned was a camp check, and those camps were then respected. It seems in the 15 years since EQ was developed, people just don't respect each other anymore.

Today, it made me mad enough to just camp out. I will probably log back in when I'm not as angry but I can't help think that this server is hard enough for new people to get into without the players on here making it worse.

/rant off.

I dont know how many times ive called CC like 2-3 times and never get an answer, and then when i run across the damn zone to find something is camped. Drives me insane

vimon
09-05-2015, 12:57 PM
I dont know how many times ive called CC like 2-3 times and never get an answer, and then when i run across the damn zone to find something is camped. Drives me insane

aye, I suppose it can work the other way around. Personally, this particular camp I only take one mob so don't 'claim' it although I would ask if someone claimed it if I could take the one mob.

What irks me is when they just turn up, pull 10+ mobs and kill them all then tell me the mobs are camped when I do manage to snag one.

I've just logged back on right into the middle of an argument between a necro who wanted one mob versus a shaman PLing his friend and pulling every mob he can find.

I guess I just need thicker skin nowadays.

Cecily
09-05-2015, 01:06 PM
You might better off finding an area with less spawns. It's really easy for someone to say you can't hold the camp because most of the mobs are up, even though you're well within your rights to camp a single mob. Still, where you're choosing to do it is asking for trouble.

Shjade
09-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I guess I just need thicker skin nowadays.

Partly this, as it sounds like you got way too upset about people being rude on a videogame.

But you're not wrong. A not-inconsiderable portion of the playerbase does not appear to give a shit about anyone other than themselves.

Petrified Wood
09-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Server guidelines are very clear on how a camp can be held. (Don't have the link on hand but it covers how often mobs must be killed per camp, what defines a legitimate "camp" (static mobs, etc) and your ability to keep spawns cleared fully. You are even allowed to leave a camp but returning before the mobs spawn again keeping the claim - this is legal (e.i. you move to a camp that looks free and they come back without before mobs popped again it is still their camp) Sadly asking for a CC does not always work because it's not a required server rule to hold a camp. Responding to camp checks is a "do unto others" kind of thing and 100% optional. Nothing against the rules to not respond but it can get very frustrating and should be done out of respect imo

JackFlash
09-05-2015, 08:38 PM

Drives me insane answering a camp check every 30 seconds for each new person that zones into KC or any other busy dungeon. Goes both ways....

When I camp raster I kill the PH and I go do something else for 27 minutes with afk up and my intentions in the message. Long as I'm back to kill the next PH or named it's mine.

Messie
09-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Drives me insane answering a camp check every 30 seconds for each new person that zones into KC or any other busy dungeon. Goes both ways....

When I camp raster I kill the PH and I go do something else for 27 minutes with afk up and my intentions in the message. Long as I'm back to kill the next PH or named it's mine.

If typing LCY once every few minutes for a CC is too difficult for you to answer...I don't even have words for that!

indiscriminate_hater
09-06-2015, 01:36 AM
Camp checks are NOT classic

Huggz
09-06-2015, 02:47 AM
Antonin, did you actually play in 99? 😜

Thulghor
09-06-2015, 02:53 AM
Yeah, actually, they were.

Just not the way they are done here, with "CC?" or something in /ooc. People would go up and ask or send a tell and ask "Hey, are you camping/is your group doing Lord Grimrot/Frenzy/whomever?" Sometimes you got someone asking about something in OOC.

What's not classic is players casually just steamrolling through or camp jumping people, and being inconsiderate dicks about it, and how that doesn't seem to hold any consequences. Few people seem to give a shit about rep.

indiscriminate_hater
09-06-2015, 03:37 AM
people only started doing CCs in Luclin era, peaked around PoP. any classic player knows this.

Thulghor
09-06-2015, 03:38 AM
Yeah ok sure.

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-06-2015, 03:40 AM
I remember when people were mocked in tunnel for adding "pst" to their auctions. No shit pst. These kids and their myspace abbreviations.

But, on point, on this server you have to pick your shots. Soloing is always dicey imo. When I solo, I go places where no one cares about. Worth not dealing with grief. In general, this is why I prefer groups. Hard to steamroll a well-ballanced, fully operational deathstar, err, grp.

Fanguru
09-06-2015, 04:57 AM
Terris Thule had camp checks in Sebilis during Kunark, sounds classic to me!

jaybone
09-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Fuck u hate trannies

Stormfists
09-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Cc' were from launch.

Legit original triple OG confirmed.