PDA

View Full Version : How to pronounce SoW debate

Speed3863
07-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Were having a debate in our guild on how to say SoW....What is the way you all say it...

A. SoW as in bow,row,low
B. SoW as in Cow,now,wow

Valerik
07-13-2015, 05:15 PM
C. I know what people mean regardless of how they pronounce it.

Taxero
07-13-2015, 05:15 PM
A.

xer0xed
07-13-2015, 05:16 PM
C. I know what people mean regardless of how they pronounce it.

Not me. If someone says it wrong I refuse to buff them. I also put them on insta-ignore and blacklist them from any future contact.

Droxx
07-13-2015, 05:16 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9758

xer0xed
07-13-2015, 05:18 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9758

Invalid. Our society has progressed greatly since then. I have also refined my ignore list to be sure to exclude people who I suspect might be thinking of the incorrect pronunciation when they type it.

Waedawen
07-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Oh my fucking god

I didn't even look at the options, but I knew in my heart 'A' meant Long O

Deliverator
07-13-2015, 05:47 PM
I really don't understand why people pronounce SOW as anything other than the actual word sow... English ... do you speak it?

There is absolutely no reason that the sequence of letters S - O - W should be pronounced the same as S - E - W

LaithusFTW
07-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Were having a debate in our guild on how to say SoW....What is the way you all say it...

A. SoW as in bow,row,low
B. SoW as in Cow,now,wow

bow can be pronounced both ways as well!

Kengo
07-13-2015, 06:04 PM
I really don't understand why people pronounce SOW as anything other than the actual word sow... English ... do you speak it?

There is absolutely no reason that the sequence of letters S - O - W should be pronounced the same as S - E - W

SOW does not equal sow. Plus, if we ran around saying sow and not SOW (sew), everyone would assume we're laying our seed everywhere and playing a strip club sim.

And for some reason, picturing someone say sow (as in planting seeds) for Spirit of Wolf just makes me think they have Tourette's. Could I get a SOW please. Sow (sew) just sounds sooooo much better.

Don't suck at life.

mystang89
07-13-2015, 06:41 PM
If we said SoW like cow we might also be calling for each others female pigs. And although some of us might have no problem with that stuff...... That would just be nasty. So I will stick with Sow as in sew.

gkmarino
Got sew? Yes that's how I've always said it.

Some people saw sow like cow, now. Got sow? sounds nasty.

12point

How is sow pronounced when you sow a field

Sorn
07-13-2015, 06:47 PM
SOW does not equal sow. Plus, if we ran around saying sow and not SOW (sew), everyone would assume we're laying our seed everywhere and playing a strip club sim.

And for some reason, picturing someone say sow (as in planting seeds) for Spirit of Wolf just makes me think they have Tourette's. Could I get a SOW please. Sow (sew) just sounds sooooo much better.

Don't suck at life.

Sow and sew are pronounced exactly the same way, so your post confuses me.

LoliPops
07-13-2015, 07:01 PM
this thread is so dum

Joyelle
07-13-2015, 07:03 PM
My reasoning for pronouncing it as /soʊ/ (rhymes with go) is this:

The spell is named Spirit of Wolf. You could conceivably shorten it to "Spirit o' Wolf" and therefore the "o" could become the long "o" if you were to shorten that to SOW.

There is no "ah" sound in Spirit of Wolf so it doesn't make sense to me to say it as /saʊ/ (rhymes with cow).

Kengo
07-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Sow and sew are pronounced exactly the same way, so your post confuses me.

Ohhhhh weeeeeeiiiiirrrrddddd, so there's more than one way to say "sow?"

Look at that guys, /thread.

captnamazing
07-13-2015, 07:08 PM

The spell is named Spirit of Wolf. You could conceivably shorten it to "Spirit o' Wolf" and therefore the "o" could become the long "o" if you were to shorten that to SOW.

There is no "ah" sound in Spirit of Wolf so it doesn't make sense to me to say it as /saʊ/ (rhymes with cow).

wow this is the only thing i've ever heard anyone say that makes any sense about why you'd pronounce it sew and not sow

but I prefer cow sow because it makes me thing of female pigs

Speedi
07-13-2015, 07:13 PM
A. SoW as in bow,row,low of course!

Sorn
07-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Ohhhhh weeeeeeiiiiirrrrddddd, so there's more than one way to say "sow?"

Look at that guys, /thread.

Admittedly there is, but the other pronunciation is for the noun (a female pig). You were referring to the verb.

Bboboo
07-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Say Slow out loud.

Drop the l

Say it out loud again.

Humerox
07-13-2015, 07:48 PM
I don't need it so I never have to say it. And no matter how people pronounce it I know what they mean.

Pokesan
07-13-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm positively enraged at the results of this poll.

SoW as in cow or fisticuffs!

Bboboo
07-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Also it's Spirit of the Wolf, not Spirit of the Pig!

Halem
07-13-2015, 09:08 PM
no no no, you say the whole thing like a tribe called quest

kaev
07-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Also it's Spirit of the Wolf, not Spirit of the Pig!

You could not be more wrong. It is Spirit of Wolf, as in the essence of wolf. It is NOT Spirit of the Wolf, there is no specific instance, no particular individual animal, referred to in the spell name.

And this is where the poll fails. The truly important thing is whether you comprehend the spirit of the spell or not. Those who do not comprehend must be universally blacklisted and limited to an absolute maximum of lowly JBoots runspeed forever after, for in their foolish ignorance they deserve only to reap what they sow.

AtomicFrog
07-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Es-Oh-W

Faron
07-13-2015, 10:41 PM
It's an acronym so it's pronounced however you want. What's more important is that people stop pronouncing melee as "muh-lee".

Troxx
07-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Always said sow as in rhymes with how now brown cow want sow?

Or as in piggie piggie sow.

Borak
07-13-2015, 11:19 PM
All bards know SoW is pronounced like sew because SoW is slow.

applesauce25r624
07-14-2015, 12:31 AM
it's not spirit of the cow

Big_Japan
07-14-2015, 12:53 AM
How is sow pronounced when you sow a field

not like this guy thinks

yikes

It's pronounced like kung Pao. My friend pronounced it like "sew" and he then and now is obese and far less attractive than I.

Tiewon Shu
07-14-2015, 07:51 AM
I pronounce it how it should be pronounced "B."

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sow

Swish
07-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Always said sow as in rhymes with how now brown cow want sow?

Or as in piggie piggie sow.

That's where I got mine from. "sew" to me means tailoring :P

Champion_Standing
07-14-2015, 09:42 AM
SoW/spirit of wolf = noun

Sow as in planting seed = verb
Sow as in a pig = noun

Saying it like the verb ie sew is wrong and you should feel bad.

Thiefboy777
07-14-2015, 09:54 AM
B since 1999.

myriverse
07-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Like you sow seeds. It just seems more natural for me to pronounce "ow" like "oh" than "ahw"

Swish
07-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Slight derail but I'd never heard "meme" said before, found out that "me me" isn't the way to say it, it's obviously "meem".

Embarrassed didn't cover it, was a feeling similar to this:

http://37.media.tumblr.com/9e5a6b631db42b5e9bea68cf7523bda0/tumblr_n58351dvWG1r7k95zo1_400.gif

dafier
07-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Sew

Danth
07-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Accents and dialect makes for fun discussion. My regional accent pronounces "sow" and "sew" identically, so that's how I pronounce the acronym for Spirit of Wolf.

Unrelated: I recall when I was in grade school one of the teachers--a transplant from Connecticut--always kept nagging us students any time she heard us pronouncing "aunt" identically to "ant" (which again is the norm in this region). She thought of it as disrespectful since on the east coast those words typically maintain separate sounds.

Totally unrelated: I grew up in the great lakes region, and apparently I'll sometimes display a hint of the northern cities shift. The wife, who grew up farther south, does not. Strangely, she displays the cot-caught merger, which is very unusual for this region. I figure it's because she grew up watching the disney channel, which is staffed by California residents for whom such pronunciation is typical.

Danth

Neno
07-14-2015, 02:20 PM
"both" or "bolth"?

Deliverator
07-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Like you sow seeds. It just seems more natural for me to pronounce "ow" like "oh" than "ahw"

So when you stub your toe to you say "oh" and everyone thinks you just now realized there was a stool there? Or do you saw "ow" like "ow my toe!"

Deliverator
07-14-2015, 03:18 PM
"both" or "bolth"?

There is no debate here. If you throw an extra letter in there you're obviously inbred.

India
07-14-2015, 03:20 PM
First world problems

nyclin
07-14-2015, 04:39 PM
if sow is an acronym, we would pronounce it as ESS OH DUBYA
if sow is an initialism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym#Nomenclature), then it would be pronounced as "sow" or "sew" depending on how inbred you are

jarshale
07-14-2015, 05:21 PM
These results are blowing my mind

Deliverator
07-14-2015, 07:03 PM
if sow is an acronym, we would pronounce it as ESS OH DUBYA
if sow is an initialism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym#Nomenclature), then it would be pronounced as "sow" or "sew" depending on how inbred you are

You have this backword. NTSB, FBI, CIA, NAACP, NCAA, are all initialisms. As they are pronounces as a string of individual letters.

NASA, RADAR, SONAR, WASP, SOW, DOT, are acronyms as they are pronounced as singular words.

nyclin
07-14-2015, 07:43 PM
You have this backword. NTSB, FBI, CIA, NAACP, NCAA, are all initialisms. As they are pronounces as a string of individual letters.

NASA, RADAR, SONAR, WASP, SOW, DOT, are acronyms as they are pronounced as singular words.

yes you are correct

LGraves
07-14-2015, 07:43 PM
My newb brother calls it boots buff. He doesn't even read the spell icon.

I always said S-O-W. I hate when people call it sow.. as in cow. A cow isn't going to run that fast.

Good debate topic though.

kaev
07-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Obv it is SoW as in WoW because it's easy mode when you can outrun the mobs.

Bboboo
07-14-2015, 08:21 PM
So glad that the majority of people around here don't have their head on backwards.

Telin
07-14-2015, 08:31 PM
There are many more words that we may all pronounce differently. Like in this Allakazham post from 2001.

SOW -- Why just like Cow of course.
Guk -- Rhymes with "luck"
Tizmak -- First syllable rhymes with Wiz, second like Mack.
Klok -- "Clock" of course.
Kaesora -- "Kay" + "sore" + "uh". Emphasis on second syllable
Damask -- Sort of like "The Mask"
Sebilis -- First Syllable rhymes with Deb, then "ill" + "iss" with the emphasis on the first syllable.
Innoruuk -- "In" + "or" + "ook" as in "look"
Teir'Dal -- "Tear" (as in crying) + "Doll"
Feerrott -- "Fear" + "Rot"
Kael Drakkal -- "Kale" + "drack" + "all"
Cabilis -- "Cab" + "eel" + "iss". emphasis on the second syllable.
Ry'Gorr -- "Rye" + "Gore"
Rathe -- like "wrath"
Ankhefenmut -- ank as in "hank" + "uh" + fen as in "pen" + Mutt as in a dog with the emphasis on the first and third syllable.
Luclin -- I used to pronounce this "Loose"lin, but was told by the folks at Sony that they pronounce it "Luck"lin. Amazing how they can mispronounce their own game isn't it?
Drakkel -- "drack" + "ill". Emphasis on the first syllable.
Ulthork -- Ull as in "pull" + thork as in "fork". Emphasis on the first syllable.
Rowyl -- Rhymes with "Howl"
Froglok -- "frog" plus "lock". How else?
Solusek -- Sol as in "Doll" plus "loose" plus sek as in "wreck". Emphasis on the second syllable.

Synthlol
07-14-2015, 08:32 PM

I'm highly amused that you are criticizing others' grasp of English, but you don't know that 'sow' is also a verb pronounced exactly the same way as 'sew'.

Thanks for providing me with entertainment.

Rararboker
07-14-2015, 08:44 PM
A: 97
B: 63

Big_Japan
07-14-2015, 08:53 PM
There are many more words that we may all pronounce differently. Like in this Allakazham post from 2001.

Sebilis -- First Syllable rhymes with Deb, then "ill" + "iss" with the emphasis on the first syllable.
Rathe -- like "wrath"
Ankhefenmut -- ank as in "hank" + "uh" + fen as in "pen" + Mutt as in a dog with the emphasis on the first and third syllable.
Luclin -- I used to pronounce this "Loose"lin, but was told by the folks at Sony that they pronounce it "Luck"lin. Amazing how they can mispronounce their own game isn't it?
Ulthork -- Ull as in "pull" + thork as in "fork". Emphasis on the first syllable.
Solusek -- Sol as in "Doll" plus "loose" plus sek as in "wreck". Emphasis on the second syllable.

If you disagree with most of this list you're an inbred fuck.

The only ones up for debate:
Rathe (i say wraith but i dont have a strong opinion)
Innoruuk (i match what is said above, but would accept differences without judging)
Feerrott (fear-row, but I'm not really sure if thinking the t's are silent has any basis in reality)
Cabilis (cab-ill-iss)
Luclin (look-lin; loose-lin may actually be more accurate now that I think about it. The way the underpaid hicks at SOE pronounce it is irrelevant.)

That's mostly nitpicking and the rest of it isn't even questionable. Sow versus sew is clearly settled; the majority of p99 players are terrible shitties and that same majority prefers "sew", so we know sao is the only righteous way of speaking this one.

Telin
07-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Take a bow.
Tie a bow.

indiscriminate_hater
07-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Sow can be a noun or verb

maskedmelon
07-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Never surprised to find an unaware majority.

I am curious though how most people ask for it.

Do you generally ask something like:

"could you spare a/some sow?" or

"will you sow me please?"

I think to avoid confusion we ought to embrace differ ing pronunciations based on grammatical identity (noun/verb).

Telin
07-14-2015, 10:25 PM
Am I the only one who spells it out? I enjoy getting into character sometimes.

Borak
07-14-2015, 10:26 PM

Rathe -- like "wrath"

I agree with most of that. However, I differ in the pronunciation of Guk. On its surface, I can see why people think it rhymes with luck. But to me it always sounded similar to the way you pronounce Rook, the chess piece. Not the racist word, hey! Just the sound of the word Rook, except beginning with G, if that makes sense.

Big_Japan
07-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Just the sound of the word Rook, except beginning with G, if that makes sense.

nape riggers

Borak
07-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Sigh, I tried to make that message as nice as possible to avoid crappy replies, I guess I failed.

Speed3863
07-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Another one were debating is fungi...
Fung-guy
Fung-gi ( like a karate gi )
fung-gee ( G )

iruinedyourday
07-14-2015, 11:22 PM

Rathe -- like "wrath"

How 2 this 1 plz http://wiki.project1999.com/Lord_Doljonijiarnimorinar

iruinedyourday
07-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Dol-Jon-eh-jar-ni-more-rain'er...?

ive never said that name outloud before

iruinedyourday
07-14-2015, 11:26 PM
bob.. there we go thats bettr.

Big_Japan
07-15-2015, 01:06 AM
Dol-Jon-eh-jar-ni-more-rain'er...?

ive never said that name outloud before

Dol-jon-ee

Bboboo
07-15-2015, 01:36 AM
Another one were debating is fungi...
Fung-guy
Fung-gi ( like a karate gi )
fung-gee ( G )

I have heard Fun Jeye

Fizzled for a whole week after that incident.

Lionsfan616
07-15-2015, 03:36 AM

Rathe -- like "wrath"

Well I feel good now that I know i've been thinking those words in my head the right way, except feerrott, i always pronounced it like the animal. On topic, I had someone ask me for a brief lupine aura the other day, no way to debate that one.

kaev
07-15-2015, 04:13 AM
Well I feel good now that I know i've been thinking those words in my head the right way, except feerrott, i always pronounced it like the animal. On topic, I had someone ask me for a brief lupine aura the other day, no way to debate that one.

Of course there is room for debate. First vowel can be long or short ('oo' or 'uh'), second vowel can be english/american or euro ('eye' or 'ee'), third vowel can be silent or voiced.

My biggest disappointment on joining this server was to find that Ghoti was unavailable as a name (pronounce it same as "fish": 'gh' as in laugh, 'o' as in women, 'ti' as in caution.)

applesauce25r624
07-15-2015, 04:51 AM
'ti' as in caution.)

:confused:

KAW-shun

you're over-complicating your pronunciations

myriverse
07-15-2015, 07:08 AM
My biggest disappointment on joining this server was to find that Ghoti was unavailable as a name (pronounce it same as "fish": 'gh' as in laugh, 'o' as in women, 'ti' as in caution.)
Kudos. That's a bizarre pronunciation.

"Gh" is only pronounced like an F because of what precedes it. When it appears at the beginning, it's always pronounced like a G (ghost, ghoul, ghee, ghetto, etc.).

"Women" is a weird word. Its pronunciation follows no logic based on how it's spelled. The letter O itself actually doesn't factor into its pronunciation at all. We still pronounce it how we used to spell it: wimmen.

Ghoti is likely unavailable because someone's trying to emulate the mob boss.

kaev
07-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Kudos. That's a bizarre pronunciation.

"Gh" is only pronounced like an F because of what precedes it. When it appears at the beginning, it's always pronounced like a G (ghost, ghoul, ghee, ghetto, etc.).

"Women" is a weird word. Its pronunciation follows no logic based on how it's spelled. The letter O itself actually doesn't factor into its pronunciation at all. We still pronounce it how we used to spell it: wimmen.

Ghoti is likely unavailable because someone's trying to emulate the mob boss.

Not original with me. I'm not young, but its origin is 19th century and I'm not nearly that old. I always thought it was a George Bernard Shaw thing, but apparently not if the wiki article I just googled is correct.

milsorgen
07-15-2015, 04:19 PM
If y'all woulda spent more time in school rather then Norrath y'all'd know option B is the one true option.

myriverse
07-15-2015, 04:28 PM
If y'all woulda spent more time in school rather then Norrath y'all'd know option B is the one true option.
Really? Why?

sow1
/sō/
verb
verb: sow; 3rd person present: sows; past tense: sowed; gerund or present participle: sowing; past participle: sown

plant (seed) by scattering it on or in the earth.

Big_Japan
07-15-2015, 06:53 PM

Do you mean like the pokemon?

Big_Japan
07-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Sao can only be confused for a farm animal, while sew can easily be confused with the common adverb "so". Therefore all option "A" voters are dumb or live on a farm in Kentucky.

Hypothesis checks out statistically: a majority of p99 players are for option A

mystang89
07-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Sao can only be confused for a farm animal, while sew can easily be confused with the common adverb "so". Therefore all option "A" voters are dumb or live on a farm in Kentucky.

Hypothesis checks out statistically: a majority of p99 players are for option A

Cayant I bee boath?

Magifyre
07-16-2015, 12:51 AM
Never surprised logging onto these boards for the first time in a while out of boredom and being immediately reminded how many illiterate mouth breathers populate this server. I blame public schools for so many people not knowing how to speak English properly. If you didn't choose option B, you should probably ask your parents if they are first cousins.

Waedawen
07-16-2015, 01:49 AM
Never surprised logging onto these boards for the first time in a while out of boredom and being immediately reminded how many illiterate mouth breathers populate this server. I blame public schools for so many people not knowing how to speak English properly. If you didn't choose option B, you should probably ask your parents if they are first cousins.

Get a load of this retard

Magifyre
07-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Get a load of this retard

That is in fact what I was saying about the majority of the people posting here. Congratulations, you can read.

Pscottdai
07-16-2015, 02:50 AM
Slight derail but I'd never heard "meme" said before, found out that "me me" isn't the way to say it, it's obviously "meem".

Embarrassed didn't cover it, was a feeling similar to this:

http://37.media.tumblr.com/9e5a6b631db42b5e9bea68cf7523bda0/tumblr_n58351dvWG1r7k95zo1_400.gif

Yeah, had one fo my son's correct me on the how to say it

fangz20
07-16-2015, 08:37 AM
sow, i pronounce it like stitching a shirt , needle n thread

Champion_Standing
07-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Thread title should be "do you use verbs to replace nouns?"

Nothing to do with pronunciation here folks.

maskedmelon
07-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Really? Why?

sow1
/sō/
verb
verb: sow; 3rd person present: sows; past tense: sowed; gerund or present participle: sowing; past participle: sown

plant (seed) by scattering it on or in the earth.

That sounds a lot more like rooting and we all know that SoW and root ar at opposite ends of the spectrum in Norrath. Therefore the "sew" pronunciation is far less fitting than the female pig pronunciation. At least the latter are mobile.

cornisthebest
07-17-2015, 04:31 PM
this thread was sabotaged, there is no way the majority of people pronounce it s-oh

myriverse
07-17-2015, 04:48 PM
It's an acronym there's no pronunciation. Where's that option?
Wrong. By definition, acronyms are pronounced as if they were words.

For example: DNA is not an acronym, because you pronounce it as letters. NASA, however, is pronounced as a complete word, thus acronym.

myriverse
07-17-2015, 04:53 PM
That sounds a lot more like rooting and we all know that SoW and root ar at opposite ends of the spectrum in Norrath. Therefore the "sew" pronunciation is far less fitting than the female pig pronunciation. At least the latter are mobile.
No. Rooting is when you plant plants that have existing roots. If they're just seeds, then it's sowing.