PDA

View Full Version : HELL NO

Vilkata
07-02-2015, 06:32 PM
I am no economics professor, but I feel I can "learn" some people a lesson in how not to go broke in EQ. Say I spend lots of time and thousands of platinum to raise my JC skill so I can make items to sell. One popular item is the platinum fire wedding ring ( 5 ac 55 hps). Now, a bar of platinum costs almost 101pp to buy. I know of no place to farm these so I buy them. The fire opals are dropped, but it would take a long time to get stacks. So I load up a toon with multiples of 550 gold ( 55 plat ) and buy them in the temple of sol ro. 101 + 55 = 156pp.
Now im in the tunnel auctioning these and soandso sends me a tell saying " will you take 300pp for 2?" In my head im doing some sums and realize 156+156=312pp. 312pp>300pp. I then come to the correct answer of "no". Soandso then comes back with "how about 400pp?" This makes me think.312pp<400pp, but considering max JC skill is 250 and the item im selling is over 260, while still small, my chance if random failure is still there. Doesn't seem profitable to risk 156pp per ring just to make 44pp. A couple random fails per stack would really hurt. Therefore, I will stay with 250pp per ring.
If this is unacceptable, then i suggest YOU spend the time and plat to raise your skill. Then YOU can sell rings for 150pp each and teach me a lesson to never mess with you again.

jarshale
07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
It's not really shocking people are too lazy to research base costs for trade skill items. People will always try to get a better deal.

B4EQWASCOOL
07-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Some people don't know that components have a set cost.

Pringles
07-02-2015, 06:41 PM
I sell crap in EC all the time at a loss (or well below market price), because I refuse to spend anymore time in there than I absolutely have to. I despise EC, I'll take /baz anytime.

Vilkata
07-02-2015, 06:49 PM
I sell crap in EC all the time at a loss (or well below market price), because I refuse to spend anymore time in there than I absolutely have to. I despise EC, I'll take /baz anytime.

Are you saying you sell items you craft for less than you can buy the materials for?
<3 the bazaar also.

Swish
07-02-2015, 06:51 PM
No ethics on the blue server. Over on red we set things straight:-

http://i.imgur.com/KgLqvsZ.png

If you see Bube on blue I expect you'll take him for every last copper :(

Swish
07-02-2015, 06:52 PM
PS: that conversation is about 12-18 months old... prices went down since then.

Deliverator
07-02-2015, 06:53 PM
I am no economics professor, but I feel I can "learn" some people a lesson in how not to go broke in EQ. Say I spend lots of time and thousands of platinum to raise my JC skill so I can make items to sell. One popular item is the platinum fire wedding ring ( 5 ac 55 hps). Now, a bar of platinum costs almost 101pp to buy. I know of no place to farm these so I buy them. The fire opals are dropped, but it would take a long time to get stacks. So I load up a toon with multiples of 550 gold ( 55 plat ) and buy them in the temple of sol ro. 101 + 55 = 156pp.
Now im in the tunnel auctioning these and soandso sends me a tell saying " will you take 300pp for 2?" In my head im doing some sums and realize 156+156=312pp. 312pp>300pp. I then come to the correct answer of "no". Soandso then comes back with "how about 400pp?" This makes me think.312pp<400pp, but considering max JC skill is 250 and the item im selling is over 260, while still small, my chance if random failure is still there. Doesn't seem profitable to risk 156pp per ring just to make 44pp. A couple random fails per stack would really hurt. Therefore, I will stay with 250pp per ring.
If this is unacceptable, then i suggest YOU spend the time and plat to raise your skill. Then YOU can sell rings for 150pp each and teach me a lesson to never mess with you again.

Well you could just EXPLAIN the situation and notify them that you have set your price based on COST not value. Cost base pricing means cost + markup while value based pricing means estimated value to customer - X% so your customer sees value in purchasing your product. Value based pricing leads to things like 280k manastones and what not. Cost based pricing leads to 250pp rings and 65pp bags.

Korain
07-02-2015, 06:55 PM
I've come to realize that no one on this server understands haggling, or how to even attempt it.

Deliverator
07-02-2015, 07:02 PM
I've come to realize that no one on this server understands haggling, or how to even attempt it.

The issue isn't that people don't attempt to haggle, it is that a lot of sellers don't negotiate. They set their price and if you don't meet it too bad. Some haggling does happen because there are sellers willing to accept offers. I honestly strongly prefer cost based pricing because it is simple, and advances in production create price reductions across entire industries. This is becoming less and less common these days though.

indiscriminate_hater
07-02-2015, 07:02 PM
ITT: OP realizes that people in EC are trying to get a good deal

mystang89
07-02-2015, 07:07 PM
I hate haggling. Can't stand it. When I give a price that's the price I expect. I don't set mine high note do I try to screw people over so my process are set. Same goes IRL for me.
Also<3 baz. I miss it :(

Pringles
07-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Are you saying you sell items you craft for less than you can buy the materials for?
<3 the bazaar also.

I don't craft (aside from alchemy, I think EQs crafting system is shit TBH). But I would definitely sell a pair of rings for less than I paid for them just to GTFO of EC as quickly as possible, and I know I am not the only one.

In my eyes, crafted items or not, the price is what someone is willing to pay me in a few minutes of me sitting in EC tunnel. Any longer than that, and I'm wasting my time being there.

My sticking around EC for 2 hours to hangle back and forth and sell a pair of rings for 50p more doesnt make any sense, I could use that 2 hours and make 10-20k or more on a drop or two easily.

I dont play this game to platinum quest though, I dont care how much plat I have, it means nothing. I seek plat when I need it, and stop seeking plat when I dont.

indiscriminate_hater
07-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I hate haggling. Can't stand it. When I give a price that's the price I expect. I don't set mine high note do I try to screw people over so my process are set. Same goes IRL for me.
Also<3 baz. I miss it :(

noobs. i have several toons running on remote servers with macros spamming 'WTS X' for a price 25% higher or lower than going price, depending on whether i'd like to actually buy or sell that item, so that eqhungry and the wiki are blown up and the market responds accordingly.

the immersion is real - step your game up

http://www.theforexguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/stressed-stock-trader.jpg

Danth
07-02-2015, 07:15 PM

Or they understand it and utterly loathe it. Chalk me in with the folks who'd happily have the bazaar. It's classic EQ though so I suppose we take the bad with the good.

Vendor costs are only relevant if you're making new items. There are lots of 5/55 rings on the server already and folks frequently sell them for somewhat less than their original production costs.

Danth

mystang89
07-02-2015, 07:44 PM
noobs. i have several toons running on remote servers with macros spamming 'WTS X' for a price 25% higher or lower than going price, depending on whether i'd like to actually buy or sell that item, so that eqhungry and the wiki are blown up and the market responds accordingly.

the immersion is real - step your game up

Congrats? Sounds mind-numbing boring but whatever floats your boat Scotty.

I still hate haggling, still set my prices fairly so people don't get ripped off and still don't worry about spending all my time in EC.

Kushie
07-02-2015, 09:03 PM
C.R.E.A.M.

EQNoob
07-02-2015, 10:04 PM

You're right. When I set a price I want what is asked. I ignore people that haggle, the only time haggling is appropriate is when people ask for offers or post obo.

indiscriminate_hater
07-03-2015, 06:44 PM
You're right. When I set a price I want what is asked. I ignore people that haggle, the only time haggling is appropriate is when people ask for offers or post obo.

meanwhile, in the rest of world...

Swish
07-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Sitting in the tunnel playing online economy simulator is about as boring as it gets.

At best I'd post a thread in the EC forum and wait for the offers to appear in the inbox.

EQNoob
07-03-2015, 08:49 PM
meanwhile, in the rest of world...

I spend about an hour tunnel questing. Because when. I leave HS it's 100% profit. I make more plat farming than I do tunnel questing over a few K.

Wiley
07-04-2015, 03:22 PM
haggling is fun

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2w38nO7rjbM/maxresdefault.jpg

MaksimMazor
07-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Sitting in the tunnel playing online economy simulator is about as boring as it gets.

At best I'd post a thread in the EC forum and wait for the offers to appear in the inbox.

Have you tried Online Economy Simulator: Greece Edition? It's pretty exciting

Itap
07-04-2015, 03:33 PM
I've probably bought a dozen of those rings on this server and have never paid less than 250pp per ring. If they don't like the price, don't sell it to them

Jimjam
07-04-2015, 03:54 PM
2nd hand rings shouldn't be resold but should be gifted to young halflings.

iruinedyourday
07-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Wts 2 55hp rings. Slightly used. One gem has a small crack at its base. 150p each or 250 for them both.

Penthouse
07-05-2015, 09:36 PM
People getting mad about haggling is funny.. almost like they've lived in a bubble world where haggling somehow doesn't happen. Market sets the price - its either worth your time to try and sell or it isnt. <3 Haggling.

central scrutinizer
07-06-2015, 12:37 AM
I used to love haggling irl, it was one of my favourite things to do.

But then I spent some time in the emirates in the 80's. And it was forever ruined for me. Nothing can top haggling against people who genuinely believe that you have the power to curse them. I'd go up to a vendor, we'd start negotiating, I'd get near his bottom line, and then tip my sunglasses down so he could see my blue eyes, he'd recoil in horror and meet my new price, every time.

I guess it's like eating too much rich food, now I can't stand haggling at all.

The worst are the people that just say "offer". I would have loved that once upon a time, but now I just focus on wishing that they develop a blood clot.

Cecily
07-06-2015, 01:06 AM
I used to love haggling irl, it was one of my favourite things to do.

But then I spent some time in the emirates in the 80's. And it was forever ruined for me. Nothing can top haggling against people who genuinely believe that you have the power to curse them. I'd go up to a vendor, we'd start negotiating, I'd get near his bottom line, and then tip my sunglasses down so he could see my blue eyes, he'd recoil in horror and meet my new price, every time.

I guess it's like eating too much rich food, now I can't stand haggling at all.

Omg haha. Best thing I've read in awhile.

Pscottdai
07-06-2015, 01:22 AM
People getting mad about haggling is funny.. almost like they've lived in a bubble world where haggling somehow doesn't happen. Market sets the price - its either worth your time to try and sell or it isnt. <3 Haggling.

Nah, just grew up in a first world country where people do not haggle. I go to the store, see the price and pay it or not. Don't hate haggling but won't do it either.

Jimjam
07-06-2015, 05:23 AM
Norrath ain't first world. Halflings out there be suffering!

Pscottdai
07-06-2015, 05:29 AM
only 'cause the lil fat bastards won't stop eating!