PDA

View Full Version : People killing guards at BB crossroads.

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 01:14 AM
This is not just one person. Over the last 24 hours I have seen different people doing it. I can provide screenshots of the people doing it now, but it's not just them. Butcherblock Mountains is my favorite place to level an early character. Crossroads especially. Removing the guards there basically makes the area useless. Also, the guard at the house close to the GFay zone was gone as well. I think that was a different person killing that one. But this is ridiculous. I spent an hour and a half trying to get my halfling druid from level 6 to level 7 (that's WITH the double XP right now), and I still haven't made it. I'm having to be extremely careful and I'm basically screwed out of making any progress. I've nearly died several times. Luckily I'm very cautious and know when to run early. But this is really, really dumb. Yes, I can go somewhere else. But should I have to?

I just came back to the game yesterday at random. Maybe I came back at the worst time. I don't know.

quido
05-28-2015, 01:15 AM
Killing guards is a normal part of EQ PvE. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Rararboker
05-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Guards are a great xp and money making method for mid level characters.

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 01:21 AM
Wait, so, making one of the most-used newbie leveling areas useless, hindering other people's progress, is a thing here? Oh good.

Chahir
05-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Useless? Just run to some other guards, it's not like you need to run from ever other mob?

quido
05-28-2015, 01:25 AM
Useless?

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Yes. You do. At level 6, there are dwarf skeletons and goblins that roam around. Once I'm high enough level to kill them, they won't be an issue.

I have no problem with people killing guards in cities, or, well, ANYWHERE that they aren't useful. But this is dumb.

Edit: And yes, Useless. To any character below level 8 or so. You cannot use the area, therefore it is useless.

Deadmantis
05-28-2015, 01:31 AM
This used to be quite common on live servers and now it is here as well. I know I was guilty of killing them back in the day. Great loot + exp while waiting for Kunark to come out.

Sometimes the players camping guards will offer buffs, and loot from the corpses to newbies hunting in the area. If you're lucky they might even kill whatever it is you are running from, but I wouldn't count on it.

Eventually they buffed up many guards on live servers to make them too risky to solo. Don't think we will ever get that far in the patch progression here.

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 01:33 AM
It was common, yes, and also something that Guides would come in and put a stop to. I saw it on several occasions back in the day. In this case, I didn't petition, because it wasn't just one person. Getting one person in trouble wouldn't address the issue.

NickNaylor
05-28-2015, 01:56 AM
I never remember hunting guards being a controversial offense. It happened all the time.

Deal with it.

Rararboker
05-28-2015, 02:04 AM
They only buffed the guards at the entrances to towns. We already have that here too. But yeah killing guards is classic. No guides here stop people from doing it.

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Hooray?

Tameth
05-28-2015, 02:28 AM
LOL TROLL

Lisset
05-28-2015, 02:29 AM
It was common, yes, and also something that Guides would come in and put a stop to. I saw it on several occasions back in the day.

I'm calling bullplop. I was a guide for over 2 years and got many petitions about this. The usual suspects weren't the crossroads so much as the ones by the docks as well as the WC tollbooth guards. Assling wall deputies are another popular whining petition as well. I told them the same thing people are telling you here.

There are guards who are actually supposed to be guards and there are guards that add flavor to the game and whose purpose aren't merely to protect you from skeletons and snakes but also to protect "the good guys" (i.e. their faction) from the bad guys (i.e. everyone who is threatening or scowling).

The guards who actually DO guard are the level 50 guards by each city, the ones that are much harder to kill.

Bottom line, go somewhere else. There's nothing at all preventing someone at your level from running to Greater Faydark. I do it with level 1-3 toons all the time. Just watch what's ahead of you and avoid wandering orcs. At level 7, you should have absolutely no problem whatsoever. You obviously can make it to the crossroads just fine. Well, take a left and go to greater faydark. From there you can also head over to steamfont or crushbone. Alternatively, hop on a boat and head to freeport and then do your hunting in EC, WC, and nro.

Rararboker
05-28-2015, 02:30 AM
Not trying to be mean, just letting you know how it works out.

Donruss
05-28-2015, 02:33 AM
Or orc hill in gfay. Only 1 zone away.

or stay. You will have to learn to hunt without guards holding your hand incase something goes wrong some day. Might as well practice.

I know it is annoying when you are lvl8, but I assure you that the players killing these mobs are doing nothing wrong.

As a druid you may end up hunting there yourself some day. Killing dwarfs is good money, and I did it all the time on live.

Lisset
05-28-2015, 02:34 AM
Killing guards is a normal part of EQ PvE. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

And another thing, making me agree with Jeremy is just wrong.

cornisthebest
05-28-2015, 02:40 AM
guards are awesome to kill, they get killed all the time

Millburn
05-28-2015, 02:40 AM
Wait, so, making one of the most-used newbie leveling areas useless, hindering other people's progress, is a thing here? Oh good.

I went to go kill the female dwarves in BB while playing my Ragefire necro and came to the hard realization that they're immune. My first thought was ... what the fuck? Seriously what kind of retarded decision to make was that. Turns out it's largely similar in the case of guards all over the map on Ragefire. One of the dumbest changes to have been implemented in EQ in my opinion.

Deadmantis
05-28-2015, 02:42 AM
When I first started on P99 in Misty Thicket, a necro killing Deputies at the wall let me loot the shields off of the corpses. In just a couple hours I made enough plat to get my upcoming spells + a nice weapon and tunic. It really took the sting out of dying to a dread corpse. :D

Faited
05-28-2015, 02:42 AM
Yes, ppl did this all the time on live & seem to do it here also. It can be annoying for the newbies in the area. So what I normally do when seeing lots of dead guards in places like Misty Thicket is talk to the ppl doing the killing & ask them to leave just 1 guard up for the newbies. Folks usually comply.

warlok88
05-28-2015, 02:43 AM
As a newb on an aging server, that's part of the game. You get no guard protection.

On the other hand, you can easily get buffs and equipment from higher levels so it evens out.

nyclin
05-28-2015, 02:48 AM
It was common, yes, and also something that Guides would come in and put a stop to.

this was literally never a thing and if you did actually see a guide do this, the guide was wrong

Synthlol
05-28-2015, 02:55 AM
You have no inherent right to demand to level at the crossroads with NPC guard protection. Go somewhere else, like the greater faydark or steamfont. Sorry you're so attached to one particular area and getting denied, but it makes you sound like a baby.

Sorn
05-28-2015, 02:57 AM
The culprits are all Iksars! I've seen them at it with my own two eyes. This means war with the scaly rapscallions! To arms, good people of Norrath!

towbes
05-28-2015, 02:59 AM
This game is a sandbox game, players can do what they wish. Maybe you could reach out to them and they would kill the mobs you aggro for you since the guards are dead? Get creative.

ko37qtl
05-28-2015, 03:02 AM
I haven't hunted guards on my characters for this reason but it's within the rules and can also work in an RP sense. Pull up your big boy pantaloons, learn to strafe run to a zone line and deal with it if they're dead.

B4EQWASCOOL
05-28-2015, 03:46 AM
There's a silver lining to the situation. Sometimes the people poopsocking the guards leave their corpses unlooted for new characters to come loot - or because they are encumbered/rich already. Many a newb has bought spells from selling the fine steel weapons dropped by guards in their home town.

dealicious
05-28-2015, 05:41 AM
I am killing dwarves slut all day long, loving it, and will continue doing so till they stop gives me exp.

khandman
05-28-2015, 06:18 AM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/5d/5daa2c2d9a5ddd58062a123a8026a8aa3b9076e2c9448a10c0 14e86aa38d1724.jpg

Jimjam
05-28-2015, 06:24 AM
OP should demand blood money to settle the debt this high level person owes Kaladim.

That's what I do in Misty Thicket if they won't agree to a /duel.

Lorian
05-28-2015, 06:40 AM
I'm a bit confused, is this a troll? This is the first time i've ever heard anyone complaining of this?!? I've levelled several lowbie characters in the zone whilst the guards were camped, can not see why this would be a problem for you when its not for everyone else?

Axlrose
05-28-2015, 07:13 AM
*resists replying to the original poster in his Eve Online mode...

myriverse
05-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Don't be so dependent on guards to protect you. It really is part of the game for people to kill them.

And buffing the guards at city entrances was part of the downfall of EQ, imo.

pink grapefruit
05-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Dwarves are the worst. When I kill the guards I'm really hoping some dwarf players die as a result. If they don't like it they can reroll elf like any self-respecting person would.

radda
05-28-2015, 08:39 AM

http://media.giphy.com/media/VypJYbpuh7ZtK/giphy.gif

Cecily
05-28-2015, 08:41 AM
hindering other people's progress, is a thing here? Oh good.

As a matter of fact, it's one of our most cherished traditions.

Deckk
05-28-2015, 08:49 AM
I mean, it sounds to me like you're literally relying on the guards to save your bacon. I've leveled quite a few newbs in live back in the day and here... And guard killing is a part of the process. You're going to die as a lowbie (or any level). You have to figure out how to pull, conserve mana and kill the beasts without relying on guards. If stuff hits the fan, you may have to get to a zone. Situate yourself near a zone line if you have to.

You can level quite well without having the guards as a crutch, you just need to break out of your comfort zone.

rekreant
05-28-2015, 09:41 AM

Play better scrub.

Champion_Standing
05-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Common courtesy to help the noobs out if you are killing the guards. Seriously how hard is it for you to kill a lvl 5 mob for the guy?

Vorkon
05-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Gotta be careful about them level 5 snake faction hits.

waffel
05-28-2015, 10:22 AM
How bad are you that you need to constantly run to guards for help? If you think leveling is too hard at 6... wow, good luck. You do know that you're going to spend 99% of your time leveling away from guards, right?

Jimjam
05-28-2015, 10:38 AM
And buffing the guards at city entrances was part of the downfall of EQ, imo.

Agree, I dislike moves that make EQ less of a virtual world and more of a game.

kaev
05-28-2015, 10:43 AM
*resists replying to the original poster in his Eve Online mode...

It's just as well, "go back to WoW noob" is passe here.

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm calling bullplop. I was a guide for over 2 years and got many petitions about this. The usual suspects weren't the crossroads so much as the ones by the docks as well as the WC tollbooth guards. Assling wall deputies are another popular whining petition as well. I told them the same thing people are telling you here.

When I said that, I wasn't just talking about the crossroads, but all useful guards. I remember a guide coming to stop it at the first guard tower when leaving Qeynos (or was it the second?) in Western Karana. And ones in EC as well. And I definitely did see it at crossroads. I played on Tarew Marr. I don't exactly have a way to prove it to you though.

Maybe the fact that my server was usually one of the highest population servers back then is a factor? The game was designed so that low level characters would get to at least level 8-10-ish in the area outside their starting city. Maybe since our server population was so high and things were highly contested, it forced us to actually use things the way they were designed and Guides had to intervene to keep the peace. I don't know. Not every server was the same.

Oh, and I didn't quote this part, but calling the crossroads guards "flavor" guards tells me you didn't play dwarves, or at least, didn't level them during those levels in BB.

Look, I'm perfectly aware I can go somewhere else, and that there can be benefits of loot from those players. Hell, the reason I took my druid there from Misty Thicket is due to the exact same problem with the guards at the wall there. The only reason I didn't mention it earlier was because I hate Misty Thicket to begin with. But it's the exact same thing. Maybe on your servers it was "classic" to just deal with it. On my server, it wasn't. Pardon me for wanting to have my "classic" experience.

Everyone is acting like I'm new to the game or something. I'm not. Not at all. Aside from my classic experience, I have a few higher level characters here in P99. But I haven't played in a while, and this wasn't an issue at that time.

Chahir
05-28-2015, 10:56 AM
If you find yourself constantly needing guards, the area just isn't for you. Not in anyway saying you're bad, but misplaced. It's not effective to fight mobs that have you run away every other mob. Go mass-murder lower mobs and this problem won't be a problem, and you'll lever faster.

Madbad
05-28-2015, 10:57 AM
I can tell you are going to have fun here, maybe you should try red!

Lady Julae
05-28-2015, 10:59 AM

You should not need the guards if you are playing correctly. ;)

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 11:10 AM
BLARGH. You people. I don't rely on guards all the time. But to level those specific levels, solo, in BB, you have to. At least if you want to do it in a timely manner. Anyone saying otherwise clearly hasn't done it.

waffel
05-28-2015, 11:12 AM
BLARGH. You people. I don't rely on guards all the time. But to level those specific levels, solo, in BB, you have to. At least if you want to do it in a timely manner. Anyone saying otherwise clearly hasn't done it.

What? You do know that if the guard kills something you don't get exp, right? Maybe that's why you're leveling so slow.

Pull solo mob. Kill solo mob. How hard is that?

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Sigh. Reread my posts. At these levels, in this area, you get adds of skeletons and goblins that roam around. Guards are needed to get them off of you until you're high enough level to kill them. Normally, you can blast through those levels with absolutely no issue, having to only use the guards a handful of times. But with no guards, the only option is to run for the zone, and that's a bit of a run from crossroads. Time consuming, and you can die before getting there. But mostly it's the time thing. Basically, without guards you can't level a newbie character in a timely fashion in BB, and so it has become useless to characters at that level.

nhdjoseywales
05-28-2015, 11:30 AM
It was common, yes, and also something that Guides would come in and put a stop to. I saw it on several occasions back in the day. In this case, I didn't petition, because it wasn't just one person. Getting one person in trouble wouldn't address the issue.

no they wouldnt, stop lying. kiting guards is a standard method of leveling a druid, wizard, or necro. its in all of the leveling guides for each of those classes

nhdjoseywales
05-28-2015, 11:33 AM
<--- played a dorf cleric and never found people quad kiting my guards to be an issue. in short play better and quit crying

DeathWalking
05-28-2015, 11:34 AM

so there i was. fighting a gnoll. the twink blade that was given to me ripping through flesh and bone with impunity. I was nearly level 4 now. I had become more powerful than i ever could have imagined.

and then i saw it.

there was a necro in the distance. in the blink of an eye, his foul undead servant was rushing the guards and several vile DoTs had landed.

I look back to the gnoll that was nearly dead. it had vanished.

i leaped back, stunned and confused. where had my battle opponent gone?? i quickly surveyed the surrounding area in hopes of locating him to finish the fight.

nothing.

not a single enemy, animal, or pixel was present. quickly, i turned back to the necro. the guard he had attacked was debilitated. clawing his way towards the city as his very life force was being drained from him. i turn back to the landscape, only to see darkness. below me, the loamy soil had been replaces by only void. the dark miasma swirling all around me. swallowing me. i was floating silently in an endless void. only me, the necro, and the rapidly dying guard.

reality had been rendered useless. hesitantly, i drew my twink blade and thrust it into my belly, hoping to end this nightmare that reality had become.

Slowly, as i watched the blood and viscera seep from the gaping wound that was my belly, everything faded to black.

damn that necro.

indiscriminate_hater
05-28-2015, 11:34 AM
A+ troll. i can feel the aftershocks from the rustled jimmies

Kyosho
05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Yes, clearly I'm lying about everything and am I complete noob and don't know how to play the game. Yes, yes, that MUST be it!

Luminious
05-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Sounds like you could use an Enchanter friend to help you with those adds.

slappytwotoes
05-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Sigh. Reread my posts. At these levels, in this area, you get adds of skeletons and goblins that roam around. Guards are needed to get them off of you until you're high enough level to kill them. Normally, you can blast through those levels with absolutely no issue, having to only use the guards a handful of times. But with no guards, the only option is to run for the zone, and that's a bit of a run from crossroads. Time consuming, and you can die before getting there. But mostly it's the time thing. Basically, without guards you can't level a newbie character in a timely fashion in BB, and so it has become useless to characters at that level.

Let me help you. First off, pull to a zone wall. You rarely get adds on the zone walls and in the area around the gfay zone, you have your choice of several. Second, forget guards... just run to the gfay zone line! Takes a bit longer but 100% reliable.

Lastly, take some other poster's advice and move to orc hill in gfay. The area you're leveling in is not recommended if you're having to run to guards/zone regularly. There's prolly 100 places for a level 6 to xp at and you've unwittingly chosen a poor option.

This is classic EQ so guards are going to get killed. Either adapt or go elsewhere. Think about the guy killing guards... should he move from his good xp/cash camp because a lvl 6 refuses to adapt or explore? Or move 1 zone over? Kinda selfish brah

kaev
05-28-2015, 11:41 AM
no they wouldnt, stop lying. kiting guards is a standard method of leveling a druid, wizard, or necro. its in all of the leveling guides for each of those classes

Pretty sure he's correct actually. Very early on, prior to the gate guard buff, there were a lot of complaints about this and no doubt guides on some servers did respond to petitions about it. Once the gate guard buff went in, which in effect created separate noob guards and content guards, petitions about killing content guards (like, say, the guards at the BBM crossroads) would've been ignored.

Champion_Standing
05-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Lol I wonder how many of you nerds that are trashing this poor newbie can be found in one of the numerous "what made eq great" threads circle jerking about how important community is.

Samoht
05-28-2015, 12:18 PM
No matter how wrong he is, there is no justifying the amount of people posting in this thread solely for the purpose of shitting on the OP. The guards are fair game for EXP. Only the city zone line guards are protected.

Kyosho, you are right about the area having a strange mix of red to green mobs for a level 6 with some blues and whites mixed in, so the guards can be helpful when you do aggro a red, but if you have to rely on the guards, then you need to move on if somebody is killing them. If you want to stay in BB, try using the guards at the docks instead.

The orc lift in Kelethin is probably a much better alternative, though. And you can probably find groups in Crushbone as a healer.

tarkhis
Way back when on Live I remember playing on my DE necro in EC and having a great day up until I would see the Sgt Slate agro message and know that I had milliseconds left to live. When I grew more powerful I returned to EC and killed him and anyone wearing that same tunic. I even went in and killed every Guard I could find in the city as they were all accusing me of ruining my lands.

In P99 I have had a few times that I have been running for my life counting on the guards to save me only to discover they were taking a dirt nap, once I was kiting Lord Shin Rae to the guards in EC and a few times running to the bridge Guards in Nek. when I realized the gentle little bear I just whacked was actually a young Kodiak or the mob I thought was a blue con was red or yellow. In everyone of these instances when I screamed for help like a little baby the guard killing person plucked the mob off my tail and proceeded to lay a smackdown so brutal that mob may never spawn again.

I have never saw anything wrong with killing guards and have had only positive interactions with the guard hunters on here.
To the OP did you yell for help or call out to the guard killers?

I would bet that if you did they would surely help because the community here is amazing.

Samoht
No matter how wrong he is, there is no justifying the amount of people posting in this thread solely for the purpose of shitting on the OP. It's true, the guards are fair game for EXP, and only the city zone line guards are protected. But there's no reason to demean him over it just for Internet LOLs.

Kyosho, you are right about the area having a strange mix of red to green mobs for a level 6 with some blues and whites mixed in, so the guards can be helpful when you do aggro a red, but if you have to rely on the guards, then you need to move on if somebody is killing them. If you want to stay in BB, try using the guards at the docks instead.

The orc lift in Kelethin is probably a much better alternative, though. And you can probably find groups in Crushbone as a healer.

Jimjam
05-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Keep an eye out for those wandering adds OP. You can always change where you are fighting if it looks like one might come for you.

worksiteawareness

Champion_Standing
05-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Keep an eye out for those wandering adds OP. You can always change where you are fighting if it looks like one might come for you.

worksiteawareness

0 days since last accident ='(

slappytwotoes
05-28-2015, 12:47 PM
If he wasn't here bitching about guard killing he'd bitch about the griffin in EC.

Doors
05-28-2015, 12:49 PM
So many people on the box you can't even kill city guards without someone crying about it.

Sounds like a fuckin blast bros whose got the mistmoore group waiting list? only a 4 hour wait for a CE group sign me up.

Paleman
05-28-2015, 12:51 PM
lol op, what did you hope to achieve with this post?

Glenzig
05-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Serious question for op before I even type a response. Are you actually for real, or just trolling for fun?

Lev_Mer
05-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Go to Greater Faydark? NOW

Seltius
05-28-2015, 03:12 PM
I wish the GMs on live had stopped me before I killed Mayor Gubbin.. Funny how touchy Halflings can be when a Halfling druid kills the mayor. When I quit after several years of factioning I was still kos to Halflings...

I guess he is the chief sheriff around those there parts.

Whirled
05-28-2015, 03:22 PM
I wish the GMs on live had stopped me before I killed Mayor Gubbin.. Funny how touchy Halflings can be when a Halfling druid kills the mayor. When I quit after several years of factioning I was still kos to Halflings...

I guess he is the chief sheriff around those there parts.

I did it too; it just looked like another way to move the XP bar forward. I've killed McMarrin barbarians for such a long time I don't think I'm allow to roll a barbarian now.

Slathar
05-28-2015, 03:27 PM
This is not just one person. Over the last 24 hours I have seen different people doing it. I can provide screenshots of the people doing it now, but it's not just them. Butcherblock Mountains is my favorite place to level an early character. Crossroads especially. Removing the guards there basically makes the area useless. Also, the guard at the house close to the GFay zone was gone as well. I think that was a different person killing that one. But this is ridiculous. I spent an hour and a half trying to get my halfling druid from level 6 to level 7 (that's WITH the double XP right now), and I still haven't made it. I'm having to be extremely careful and I'm basically screwed out of making any progress. I've nearly died several times. Luckily I'm very cautious and know when to run early. But this is really, really dumb. Yes, I can go somewhere else. But should I have to?

I just came back to the game yesterday at random. Maybe I came back at the worst time. I don't know.

have u tried crying about it nerd????

LOL trolled!

jarshale
05-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Maybe you should learn to not pull adds.

Secrets
05-28-2015, 04:00 PM
I main a bard. I routinely kite not just the crossroad guards, but the entire zone of guards sans the Kaladim ones which are level 50.

No one in the history of P99 has complained about killing guards. In fact, I bet you'd do the same at 35ish because they're some of the best exp and money at that level.

I'm just more surprised people don't kill WFP guards as much anymore.

DeathWalking
05-28-2015, 04:00 PM
this is what happens when you have a subreddit for p99. everyone gets their equality panties in a knot and then go all sjw about it

Secrets
05-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Also, have you ASKED the people in the zone killing the guards to stop?

Sometimes communication goes a long way. They might even stop to give you buffs because most of them are druids, and they in turn will protect you instead of the guards.

firesyde424
05-29-2015, 07:20 PM
I remember back in late '01 or early '02 on Druzzil Ro, some people came in and were killing the bridge guards in Nektulos. At the time, I was big into role playing my newly created dark elf necro. I still had a sow from a nice troll shaman earlier and I immediately went to the level 55 dragoon that wanders near Neriak entrance. I "invited" him to follow me to the bridge so that he could see for himself what the awful light walkers were doing to his countrymen. When he saw what was happening, he killed me for not taking care of it myself and then he killed the people those who disrupted the lives of his fellow guards.

tldr: some people came in and were killing the bridge guards in Nektulos. I trained Kirak Vil to them. The gm said that role playing was not an excuse.

Madbad
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM
I remember back in late '01 or early '02 on Druzzil Ro, some people came in and were killing the bridge guards in Nektulos. At the time, I was big into role playing my newly created dark elf necro. I still had a sow from a nice troll shaman earlier and I immediately went to the level 55 dragoon that wanders near Neriak entrance. I "invited" him to follow me to the bridge so that he could see for himself what the awful light walkers were doing to his countrymen. When he saw what was happening, he killed me for not taking care of it myself and then he killed the people those who disrupted the lives of his fellow guards.

tldr: some people came in and were killing the bridge guards in Nektulos. I trained Kirak Vil to them. The gm said that role playing was not an excuse.

Give this man the Pulitzer.

DeathWalking
05-29-2015, 09:18 PM

lmao why did the GM get mad? thats great. more people should roleplay on that level and not just say "aye" once in a while

Tasslehofp99
05-29-2015, 09:25 PM
It was common, yes, and also something that Guides would come in and put a stop to.

no, not ever