PDA

View Full Version : Was someone threatened?

Formshifter
04-29-2015, 07:36 PM
What do you guys think? was the threat of legal action a factor in the recent agreement with daybreak? is this the beginning of the end for p99? is it just a bump in the road to winter? RnF has been getting censored hard as heck the last few days, and by golly, i think i know why now.

Formshifter
04-29-2015, 07:39 PM
i feel like each and every one of us is now harry potter; being shoved into teh cupboard under the stairs because the dursleys are having company and dont want them to see the orphan child.

maerilith
04-29-2015, 07:41 PM
https://www.everquest.com/news/project-1999-daybreak

f you’ve ever looked for people playing EverQuest on Twitch, you’ll often find fans playing on the Project 1999 servers (often referred to as just P99) and engaging with other members of the community via their Twitch chat. Project 1999 is a fan-based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project.

The guys running Project 1999 are passionate fans of EverQuest and our work, and we’re fans of what they’ve been able to accomplish with support from the player community. So, we’d like to bring you the following announcement from the P99 crew:

“It’s been an exciting year for Project 1999 and we have some exciting news we’ve been really anxious to share with all of you. As some of you may be aware, in the past there has been both confusion and concern over the status of Project 1999. We have recently entered into a written agreement with Daybreak Game Company LLC that formally recognizes Project 1999 as a fan based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project. The agreement establishes the guidelines that we as a project must follow, but it will allow to us continue to update the game without risk of legal repercussions. As a show of good faith to support the efforts of Daybreak Games, we have decided to reschedule our expansion release as to not conflict with the upcoming new progression server being released in the coming weeks. We would like to personally thank all the folks at Daybreak and acknowledge how awesome it is for a company to work with and embrace the creations of their fans. This is really something that’s unique in the gaming industry.”

To read the rest of the post, please visit the P99 forums.

We’re proud that the EverQuest community is one of the most passionate and engaged groups of players in the gaming world. We’re glad we were able to reach an agreement with the team behind the fan-based, not-for-profit emulation project as they continue to share their love of EQ with many.

Formshifter
04-29-2015, 07:42 PM
that doesnt answer any questions, it only raises more! will we ever get to hogwarts, or are we now on the long and painful road of dying of malnutrition under the stairs??

maerilith
04-29-2015, 07:43 PM
yeah seems like we have to keep it pg13 now cause, lawyers. But small price 2 pay. Just wish trademark/copywright only lasted 20 yrs (we'd be close to public domain for EQ) then again stuff just gets gobbled up out of the public domain quickly again these days thats profitable.

I want sony to get it's full due for EQ and it's content. No reason fans couldn't make a game without impinging their rights.

They are very very gracious to allow P99 to run under some guidelines. On the really up side we could get lots of info about the inner workings of game mechanics from devs kindly sharing with us openly about how things should be working.

maerilith
04-29-2015, 07:45 PM
I think if u want ur raunchy RnF ur going to have to create a new forum and group and desperate it officially from P99.

Pretty sure were'll have to be more adult about our trolling now.

Oleris
04-29-2015, 07:46 PM
more like... change of company name voided whatever agreement Rogean had earlier. Combine that with the fact DBG was rushing the progressive server.... trying to get beta out before velious launched to try and get people playing there instead. Also, I woudn't be surprised if the quarm server will be a classic server that is locked around PoP with code contribution from rogean/nilbog. I called it before and I'm calling it now. Save this post.

maerilith
04-29-2015, 07:47 PM
maybe the only way to be sure is to wipe it clean staff? so we know we have a clean and moderated forum? at least the RnF section that is the one with the worst posts. Could rename it 2 the Maidens Fancy and make it a bit more RP like

maerilith
04-29-2015, 07:48 PM
U could name the new forum/board Secrets Unseen

Formshifter
04-29-2015, 07:54 PM
RnF was a place that came close to freedom of speech in an increasingly sjw edited internet. i can understand why rogean is choosing to clean it up, since now because of the agreement theyre connected in some way to a legit company, but damn. these are sad times indeed for RnF. the question though, is what is the future of p99 looking like? it could go one of two ways from what i can tell, but its kinda early to know.

gosh darn it, it sure does suck that after all this time we get a release date for velious, and then it gets pushed back again.

Formshifter
04-29-2015, 07:55 PM
more like... change of company name voided whatever agreement Rogean had earlier. Combine that with the fact DBG was rushing the progressive server.... trying to get beta out before velious launched to try and get people playing there instead. Also, I woudn't be surprised if the quarm server will be a classic server that is locked around PoP with code contribution from rogean/nilbog. I called it before and I'm calling it now. Save this post.

post saved, bruh. we'll see how this unfolds

Beastro
04-29-2015, 08:03 PM
I don't look on it so much as a threat as a change of desire from the guys running Live keep the emulator community close instead of tolerating it on the fringe.

In the end DBs desperate situation could be mutually beneficial. I do hope part of the price is the P99 crew chipping in the give tips and information on how to make prog servers and the like more in line with Classic while they gain more legitimacy and possible help in fine tuning their own servers.

DBs said in the past that it's too much work to keep a server or two different from the up to date Live servers, but if there's enough profit in doing so we might see a change in that. IMO, even if they try to split the community between a subscription based Classic server with boxing allowed and P99 where its banned but free you'll get a good population on both - there are people on the Live board already saying the one and only reason they don't play here is because boxing is banned.

Formshifter
04-29-2015, 08:11 PM
well put, baby hitler. well put.

i think one of the possible outcomes is an increased server pop for p99, along with less asshattery and RMT due to big daddy daybreak peeking over everyones shoulders. i think that would be the best case scenario, but it could also hurt p99 in more than one way.

KagatobLuvsAnimu
04-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Honestly for the server itself this is probably a good thing (the merger/agreement, not the censorship). For me personally though, I've completely switched to TAK and am not coming back, less crowding and i personally feel that EQs peak included cats and planes.
I'm obviously just here to fuck around and I'm sure many others like having a place to vent. That will be a loss.

Danth
04-29-2015, 08:35 PM
DBs said in the past that it's too much work to keep a server or two different from the up to date Live servers, but if there's enough profit in doing so we might see a change in that.

Look at Jagex (Runescape) as an example: They once responded the same way to requests for old-style servers--too much work, not enough return, and so forth. Eventually they relented and opened up official "old school" servers. It proved a resounding success--profitable in its own right--and I believe continued growing to now represent nearly half their overall player base. Money talks, and eventually more corporations will realize that there's money to be made in offering old versions of once-popular online games.

Danth

Rararboker
04-29-2015, 09:05 PM
What happened? I feel like I missed something big.

Beastro
04-29-2015, 09:07 PM
well put, baby hitler. well put.

i think one of the possible outcomes is an increased server pop for p99, along with less asshattery and RMT due to big daddy daybreak peeking over everyones shoulders. i think that would be the best case scenario, but it could also hurt p99 in more than one way.

It's a risk but for the first time since the early days of playing VZTZ I'm happy and a tad optimistic about Everquest instead of being your typical cynical MMO grognard.

It can't hurt P99 to get an air of legitimacy and professionalism. The main constant in my time one emu since 2007 (besides the toxic nature of its PvP community) is the suspicion and outright paranoia around GM and dev corruption that is continually reinforced by new scandals and the ever present worry that admins aren't being completely honest with the community. When you're silent people just fill that space with their worst fears.

Shit like Null giving his RL friend a fully decked out Monk and Gronkus gettinf donations for a new computer only to kill VZTZ, use the pieces for his own comp and sell the ones he didn't have and the like still linger with those who played back then.

maerilith
04-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Wow. Such eloquence.

Champion_Standing
04-29-2015, 09:48 PM
You pretty much are harry potter OP

Faron
04-29-2015, 10:57 PM
lol people taking time off work, planning trips and parties for this. fucking lol

Formshifter
04-29-2015, 11:00 PM
You pretty much are harry potter OP

we of RnF all are harry potter in this, and the GMs are the dursleys.

FoxxHound
04-29-2015, 11:25 PM
we of RnF all are harry potter in this, and the GMs are the dursleys.

lol

Formshifter
04-30-2015, 10:34 AM
its not funny foxx, i bet theyre lying to us about how our parents died too

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Are you guys actually serious a rnf section could somehow bother Daybreak?

I guarantee you a few of the genuine old timers there look at this board and go, ah yes, now *that* is what eq used to be like.

Good gaming has always been, in part, about a wild wild west kind of attitude. Smed probably visits this board just so he can have a nostalgia fix.

webrunner5
04-30-2015, 10:54 AM

Man speaks the truth. It was sort of coinsdental wasn't it to have it happen when it did.. :eek:

Formshifter
04-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Are you guys actually serious a rnf section could somehow bother Daybreak?

I guarantee you a few of the genuine old timers there look at this board and go, ah yes, now *that* is what eq used to be like.

Good gaming has always been, in part, about a wild wild west kind of attitude. Smed probably visits this board just so he can have a nostalgia fix.

p99 is affiliated with daybreak now, so if some feminazi gets its quadtransunibiattackhelicoptersexual panties in a knot and decides to sue daybreak, RNF could be cited as evidence that daybreak condones the shit we discuss here. its just legal bullshit, even though we're two separate entities.

Guide.Chroma
04-30-2015, 01:13 PM
p99 is affiliated with daybreak now, so if some feminazi gets its quadtransunibiattackhelicoptersexual panties in a knot and decides to sue daybreak, RNF could be cited as evidence that daybreak condones the shit we discuss here. its just legal bullshit, even though we're two separate entities.

"Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC."

Formshifter
04-30-2015, 01:32 PM
"Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC."

Why the censoring then? I assumed it was due to legal reasons concerning the agreement. Maybe associated/affiliated is the wrong term, but considering there's an official agreement, there's a connection now no matter how minuscule or insignificant.

Sirken
04-30-2015, 01:39 PM
It's a risk but for the first time since the early days of playing VZTZ I'm happy and a tad optimistic about Everquest instead of being your typical cynical MMO grognard.

It can't hurt P99 to get an air of legitimacy and professionalism. The main constant in my time one emu since 2007 (besides the toxic nature of its PvP community) is the suspicion and outright paranoia around GM and dev corruption that is continually reinforced by new scandals and the ever present worry that admins aren't being completely honest with the community. When you're silent people just fill that space with their worst fears.

Shit like Null giving his RL friend a fully decked out Monk and Gronkus gettinf donations for a new computer only to kill VZTZ, use the pieces for his own comp and sell the ones he didn't have and the like still linger with those who played back then.

you have been spewing & spreading a lot of misinformation, as ive been following your posts on the EQLive forums as well.

firstly, its a joke to try and compare what was VZTZ to what is now R99. VZTZ had ZERO hack detection, had ZERO boxing detection, had no dev team, no resources, and averaged ~75 individual players (maxing out around 165 as vztz pop maxed at 330 with 2 boxing allowed).

Secondly, it was Voidd that decked out his RL pal with a monk, how dare you slander Null's good name.

learn your history and facts before you go slandering things you clearly know nothing about.

<3
Sirken

Champion_Standing
04-30-2015, 04:40 PM
He died--he died as so many young men of his generation, before his time. In your wisdom Lord you took him. As you took so many bright flowering young men, at Khe San and Lan Doc and Hill 364.
http://imoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/3-The-Big-Lebowski-quotes.gif

tankh
04-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Wow my post got deleted . Milk monitors have dinged.

/mourns RnF

Formshifter
04-30-2015, 05:15 PM
rip in peace

Littlegyno 13.0
04-30-2015, 05:32 PM
you have been spewing & spreading a lot of misinformation, as ive been following your posts on the EQLive forums as well.

firstly, its a joke to try and compare what was VZTZ to what is now R99. VZTZ had ZERO hack detection, had ZERO boxing detection, had no dev team, no resources, and averaged ~75 individual players (maxing out around 165 as vztz pop maxed at 330 with 2 boxing allowed).

Secondly, it was Voidd that decked out his RL pal with a monk, how dare you slander Null's good name.

learn your history and facts before you go slandering things you clearly know nothing about.

<3
Sirken

all truth.

rip in piss vztz

Eunomia
04-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Wow my post got deleted . Milk monitors have dinged.

/mourns RnF

Did you miss my post?

Don't consider this official, but these are the instructions I'm following:

No hate speech

Hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.

No nudity or obscene graphics

Other than that, I ask before taking action.

-TK-
04-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Did you miss my post?

I'm not a fan of a lot of the stuff here but it sounds like it's honestly time to take out the 'Flames' and 'NSFW' for the forum title. Maybe rename it 'Well Articulated and Thought-out Politically Correct Rants'?

tankh
04-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Yeah i read it, did you read this forum NSFW ? Used to be the norm seeing chicks with dicks , people using the N word but now the mods have sold thier soul. Only time will tell if it was worth it x

Barkingturtle
04-30-2015, 06:29 PM
This change is long overdue.

Forum has become a wasteland where bigoted teens share pictures of titties and butts. Time for stimulating debate between Norrath's top minds. Take this as an opportunity to expand your repertoires, young peckerwoods.

-TK-
04-30-2015, 06:33 PM
This change is long overdue.

Forum has become a wasteland where bigoted teens share pictures of titties and butts. Time for stimulating debate between Norrath's top minds. Take this as an opportunity to expand your repertoires, young peckerwoods.

Teens? Try young and middle-aged adults lol. Isn't 'Off Topic' where all the intellectual conversation is supposed to happen?

tankh
04-30-2015, 06:34 PM
I have teens pictures of titties and butts. Time for stimulating young peckers.

your strange

Formshifter
04-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Take this as an opportunity to expand your repertoires, young peckerwoods.

The P word is a derogatory slur (aka 'hate speech') for european americans.

Eunomia, please ban this racist scum from the forums.

Formshifter
04-30-2015, 06:36 PM
also he's insinuating that only anglo-saxon-americans can be racist, which is a bigoted generalization.

Raidz
04-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Dumbledor dies bro, he fucking... dies!!!

RIP 9/11.

Formshifter
04-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Why has barkingturtle not been banned for his use of vulgar racial slurs? i thought we had a new and improved "no hate speech" rule.

Skinnah
05-01-2015, 01:10 AM
I like this guy

Skinnah
05-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Sirken youre my hero bro!

Formshifter
05-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Racist double standard mods still havent removed Barkingturtles comment. i guess when they said "no hate speech" they meant "dont talk about blacks or jews unless youre metaphorically sucking their dicks", not "no hate speech".

Formshifter
05-01-2015, 10:26 AM
all i want is equality and consistency. is that too much to axe?

maerilith
05-01-2015, 10:42 AM
The P word is a derogatory slur (aka 'hate speech') for european americans.

Eunomia, please ban this racist scum from the forums.

The word pecker is a triggering term for male anatomy. Plz use diktree instead

Formshifter
05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
The word pecker is a triggering term for male anatomy. Plz use diktree instead

Peckerwood is a disparaging term for poor european-americans and originates from the term used to refer to members of neo nazi groups like the aryan brotherhood (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=peckerwood)

BAN BARKINGTURTLE FOR HIS USE OF RACIAL SLURS OR THE MODS ARE RACIST

Barkingturtle
05-01-2015, 11:01 AM
I assure you, Forumshitter, I have only ever used the word as a term of solidarity and endearment. I had no idea there was an alternative, mean-spirited definition.

If it evokes such negative feelings in you then I suggest you search your heart for a reason why you're so easily baited.

Formshifter
05-01-2015, 11:04 AM
I assure you, Forumshitter, I have only ever used the word as a term of solidarity and endearment. I had no idea there was an alternative, mean-spirited definition.

If it evokes such negative feelings in you then I suggest you search your heart for a reason why you're so easily baited.

i take racism very seriously

Formshifter
05-01-2015, 11:05 AM
and it seems that the mod's double standards and special treatment extend beyond coddling their rl tmo pals

Barkingturtle
05-01-2015, 11:26 AM
and it seems that the mod's double standards and special treatment extend beyond coddling their rl tmo pals

I think it's just as likely that they simply don't like you.

I don't know, just throwing it out there. Don't really know you well enough to judge you and I don't really judge people, anyway, because I try to remain inclusive despite our differences.

Formshifter
05-01-2015, 11:30 AM
emotion has nothing to do with how rules are enforced

Champion_Standing
05-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Rnf has seen some hard days. From hbb posting a new thread about every topic he read on reddit to kagatabs dating profile getting posted and even the no name noon that exposed rellapses secret online life. They were hard days but good days, RIP rnf you were too good for this world.

Formshifter
05-01-2015, 01:09 PM
these mods need to tighten their shit up and remove all racial slurs if theyre going to remove any.

maerilith
05-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Awww i missed the revealing of rellapse, someone plz pm me something juicy, i always wanted to know more about him