PDA

View Full Version : STFU and PTFG: a suggestion, a question and a thank-you

laughinghorse
10-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Howdy y'all!
So, I've been playin P99, like the rest of you, and am having a great time overall! I would like to /Shout a wildly emphatic "CONGRATZ, WOOT and Well Fuckin'Done!" To all those involed with bringin this game back to life. I think it's rad that a few folks decided to dedicate a portion of their time/lives so that we all could play this classic game for free and enjoy it for what it was: a truly unique and exhaustive fantasy experience. Pulling off something like this takes heart. I respect this effort and am truly thankful. I hope you devs play as much as you program!!!
Like many of you, Evercrack was a gateway drug into the MMORPG habit that has caused me to roll many a character over the years. Some of you may be EQ-curious and playing for the first time and I say to you Welcome and Enjoy! This game set a certain standard and has been a bar from which to judge later games. Check your MMORPG glossaries and you'll see that the vast majority of terms were coined right here in Norath. I'm not sayin it was the best or the worst but it was one of the first and let's be honest: we're all here because this game kicked ass, blew our minds and we all fuckin' dug it.(In the beginning at least, haha)
Now, I've also been reading various forums and noticed a common thread within the threads: Bitching...
"Why isn't this quest done, damnit!", "Melee BUG makes this game not worth my time","exp penalties suck and I won't even group with an SK TRL", "Loot split; WTF!?", "KUNARK NOW!".. etc,etc,etc.
I'm not talkin about reporting bugs or suggesting fixes or who's poopsocking what and how lame that may or may not be or which guild is full of horde/ninjalooting assholes or what the true value of 1pp in EC is today. That type of player dynamic is as unavoidable as a loading screen. I'm talking about boldfaced, ALL CAPS, unappreciative whining.
My 2cp: People, these folks who created, run and maintain this experience are doin it for the love of the game and of a good time! It's a hobby and a project (maybe an obsession?) for them, (get it, "project1999". It's supposed to be no strings attatched FUN! There's no payroll dept. for them. No overtime check for staring at code for hours on end. Your account balance is ZERO and yet some of you think your time is better spent attacking them for being somehow defficient at providing a service for which you didn't spend a dime on rather than logging in and enjoying yourself. These gamers owe you/me/us NOTHING! They committed to giving a gift out of the patience and goodness of their hearts and some of you just shit on it.
If I didn't find this somehow amusing as an example of how rotten some people can be in the face of kindness I might have to quit smiling and hate some of you. Seriously, if you have issues that you can't get past then /campdesk immediately. Delete all files, buy a Live account, switch back to WoW or EVE or whatever and GL to you! The new Star Wars game will be out soon and you can, FOR A FEE, UBER-emote around with the rest of the whining, 12 year old, lightsaber wielding zergers who wouldn't notice a well crafted game through today's dazzling graphics if you sat down and explained one to 'em.( no disrespect to the Stars Wars fans, I'll probably try that one out too, haha)
Before I draw aggro for being a hypocrit, let me state that this thread isn't meant to bitch at, sit in judgement of or attack anyone. I just wanted to state plainly a trend I see and ask some of you to temper your frustrations as not to sour the devs attitude towards this whole "project" and just say "fuck it, I quit".
To the rest of us, both behind the scenes and on the screens, who are gonna stick around for as long as we remain interested I offer this mantra: STFU and PTFG... (Check those glossaries if you still need THAT translation)
Many thx and take care!

YendorLootmonkey
10-09-2010, 02:23 PM
That's right... Punt The Fuckin Gnomes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(except Ninik <3 )

jerkstore
10-09-2010, 03:20 PM
format your text

Noser
10-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I paid to play on the terris-thule for about 5-6 years and a GM never once helped me out with a legitimate issue. Here, I've seen GM's go above and beyond, punting people that are getting cycle killed. Helping with CR's that resulted from server/bug issues, etc.

Try playing on the EqMac server. They haven't patched a bug since 2002 and i hear their GMs stop in about..every 2 months. We get regular patches on this server with many active devs and gms, for free. There really isn't a whole lot to complain about.