PDA

View Full Version : Classic Revisionism

XDrake
10-06-2010, 01:17 PM
I kind of mentioned this in another thread a moment ago, but let's look at some facts...

There is high competition for high end mobs and many mid to high level camps. This is a fact. It is even true many folks farm these places for long amounts of time or have rangers parked waiting so they can get tipped off and mobilize.

However, it is amusing how people talk about these problems as though this isn't Classic EQ Drama. If anything, it is Diet Classic EQ Drama here.

Am I the only one that remembers unplayable nights in LGuk because people were throwing trains at eachother...?

That two/three guilds would try to KS Nagafen or Vox from eachother...

I remember at least 10 posts a day in scammer alert forums on E Marr...

Ninja looters were rampant...

Didn't want to give up AC camp in OOT? Somebody would charm the PH.

You wanted Classic EQ instead of the easy instanced clicky horseshit that EQ became... Or the retard simple game WoW became. Classic EQ is hard and competitive. Don't like it? Go and play WoW or EQ Live. Bet you'll be back in a couple months when you are lvl 80 with your Robe of Fuckery with 800 AAs and some faggy title.

nilbog
10-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Am I the only one that remembers unplayable nights in LGuk because people were throwing trains at eachother...?

That two/three guilds would try to KS Nagafen or Vox from eachother...

I remember at least 10 posts a day in scammer alert forums on E Marr...

Ninja looters were rampant...

Didn't want to give up AC camp in OOT? Somebody would charm the PH.

Yes, thank you for this. I was wondering if Erollisi Marr just happened to be more hardcore than some of the other PVE servers. That was my home from 99-04, and I had pretty much all of those experiences.

I was a paladin and usually the puller for my Lower Guk groups. Competition was insane because there were usually 40-50 people in the zone on dial up (scary). Sometimes trains were created by people trying to pull all the npcs they could back to their group, due to the amount of groups vs. exp mobs.

Watched a buddy get the "too many bags in a trade window" scam done to him, and his entire suit of rubicite stolen. Lead GM Uini said they were aware of the bug, but would not assist in any way.

Long before item links, and before the group system announced who looted what item, ninja looting was extreme. People could do a quick loot/right click/stand and steal pretty much anything without being noticed.

You could follow your rival guild, and when they engaged raid npcs, you could open trade windows to trade 1cp to all their healers. (Interrupted spells)

In short, emarr was gangsta, and petitions didn't happen often.

Messianic
10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Ur wrong dude classic eq was fairy lollipop beer land

azeth
10-06-2010, 02:14 PM

GM event! Spawn Thunder Spirits in EC that drop Uthgaard's brew and Lollipops!

XDrake
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Damn right about the GMs. I loved Valtron, but he was never able to be around except an hour or two a week. I remember some guilds having to call Sony (which was a nightmare in 99-00 during peak hours) to get an AGM to come form new guilds. I never... NEVER saw item compensations until 04. NEVER.

Japan
10-06-2010, 02:55 PM
The bitching is classic. You bitching about the bitching is also classic. This thread sucks.

Messianic
10-06-2010, 03:13 PM
The bitching is classic. You bitching about the bitching is also classic. This thread sucks.

You complaining about a thread sucking because its complaining about complaining, which makes you complaining about complaining about complaining, is also classic.

Japan
10-06-2010, 03:20 PM
that's so zen bro

Messianic
10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
that's so zen bro

I was channeling a ninja

tinidas
10-06-2010, 04:02 PM
great... now I gotta figure out where robe of fuckery drops :/

Pico
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
wow? heh, sorry no. i play motherfucking everquest. vapid cretins.

purist
10-06-2010, 05:09 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Straw man
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informal_fallacy) based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. [1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man#cite_note-book-0) To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

Reasoning

The straw man fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy) occurs in the following pattern of argument:

1. Person A has position X.
2. Person B disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially-similar position Y. Thus, Y is a resulting distorted version of X and can be set up in several ways, including:
1. Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent's actual position has been refuted.[1]
2. Quoting an opponent's words out of context – i.e. choosing quotations that misrepresent the opponent's actual intentions (see contextomy and quote mining).[2]
3. Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender, then refuting that person's arguments – thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position (and thus the position itself) has been defeated.[1]
4. Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs which are then criticized, implying that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
5. Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking this oversimplified version.
3. Person B attacks position Y, concluding that X is false/incorrect/flawed.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious, because attacking a distorted version of a position fails to constitute an attack on the actual position.

Wizerud
10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
The opening sentence made my head hurt.

DekThai
10-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, thank you for this. I was wondering if Erollisi Marr just happened to be more hardcore than some of the other PVE servers. That was my home from 99-04, and I had pretty much all of those experiences.

I was a paladin and usually the puller for my Lower Guk groups. Competition was insane because there were usually 40-50 people in the zone on dial up (scary). Sometimes trains were created by people trying to pull all the npcs they could back to their group, due to the amount of groups vs. exp mobs.

Watched a buddy get the "too many bags in a trade window" scam done to him, and his entire suit of rubicite stolen. Lead GM Uini said they were aware of the bug, but would not assist in any way.

Long before item links, and before the group system announced who looted what item, ninja looting was extreme. People could do a quick loot/right click/stand and steal pretty much anything without being noticed.

You could follow your rival guild, and when they engaged raid npcs, you could open trade windows to trade 1cp to all their healers. (Interrupted spells)

Nice! I was from E Marr as well, I remembered Da Kor and Midnight Sojourn was the shitniz :) Good old time.

Flicka
10-07-2010, 02:57 AM
great... now I gotta figure out where robe of fuckery drops :/Get OUTTA my head :D

RKromwell
10-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Hehe, sounds like Xegony.

Stanlei
10-07-2010, 06:48 AM
I've got no idea what you guys are talking about. I beta tested and played in '99 on up. I never saw any of these actions on Rallos Zek or Sullon Zek. Anytime you were fighting for mobs, you would simply wait for the opposing group to pull a mob, then kill them and steal the mob. No one had to petition anything, no one cried. Guess the folks on Rallos and Sullon just knew how to get along better /shrug

mimixownzall
10-07-2010, 07:31 AM
I've got no idea what you guys are talking about. I beta tested and played in '99 on up. I never saw any of these actions on Rallos Zek or Sullon Zek. Anytime you were fighting for mobs, you would simply wait for the opposing group to pull a mob, then kill them and steal the mob. No one had to petition anything, no one cried. Guess the folks on Rallos and Sullon just knew how to get along better /shrug

Yep.

"oh, you're being a fuckhole? np, inc train"

Once a newt on SZ had bought a bard of my same faction and would use it to train fear and wipe our raid. We finally paid a goodie to come in and get rid of the bard. When bard gave up, we killed the goodie and got our money back. Thats hard core.

Cheech
10-07-2010, 07:35 AM

I do miss those E Marr days Nilbog. No one can bring them back, but you have gotten close my friend! <3 :)

Stanlei
10-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I do miss those E Marr days Nilbog. No one can bring them back, but you have gotten close my friend! <3 :)

Lol I can't tell if that was supposed to be nice or an insult. Wern't you all just talking about how d-baggy the GM's were on live? :p