PDA

View Full Version : RIP spotify

Oleris
03-30-2015, 11:17 PM
https://youtu.be/egShCjfvi9s

musicians teaming up to charge $20 per month instead of free/$10 from spotify.

Herpa Derp
03-31-2015, 12:00 AM
What a joke.

Swish
03-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Hope it fails, greedy fucks.

dafier
03-31-2015, 10:33 AM
HA! They can do whatever they wish to try to 'protect' their assets (themselves). They will ALWAYS be a target for hacks. Why? Because they are all bitches with way too much money.

Sorry, but there is no talent there that can't be found elsewhere.

Swish
03-31-2015, 10:37 AM
If people buy Dr Dre Beats and other stupid shit, I'm sure $20 a month for these "artists" is nothing.

Definitely think there'll be some ddos'ing, and some disgruntled "fans".

Paleman
03-31-2015, 10:56 AM
so a small group of highly popular artists want to replace the spotify board of directors and enslave lesser artists with a contract probably no different from spotify?

no thanks.

norova
03-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Meh, nobody is being forced to switch. Their $10 price point is the same as Spotify's and delivers a similar product, with the biggest difference being the availability in each service's catalog. Right now you can watch all of Daft Punk's Electroma on Tidal. Spotify doesn't offer video as far as I know, and certainly not full length films.

The selling point of Tidal's $20 offering, for me anyway, is the lossless audio. I can finally stream shit from my phone or tablet straight to my receiver and get everything I want out of it. It's about being able to control the output to a higher degree, and with lossy formats that isn't possible. Yes, I know, you can't necessarily distinguish between 320kbps and 1411 FLAC with every piece of audio, but for me it's more about knowing I'm getting the complete unaltered data as the artist intended. How it sounds on my system is then up to me, not a codec.

Regardless, I don't give a shit how much money certain artists want to line their pockets with. If it means they keep making music I love, awesome.

JayN
03-31-2015, 11:49 AM
wtf is spotify; is that like pandora? why would anyone ever pay for music lol

Anichek
03-31-2015, 12:47 PM
wtf is spotify; is that like pandora? why would anyone ever pay for music lol

Bohab
03-31-2015, 01:48 PM
spotify is free. once you use spotify you will understand pandora is complete crap in comparison.

Thulack
03-31-2015, 01:53 PM
spotify is free. once you use spotify you will understand pandora is complete crap in comparison.

Personally i like just putting pandora on and letting it go. If i want to pick and choose what i listen to then i will open my music folder on my PC and play it.

Bohab
03-31-2015, 01:57 PM
Personally i like just putting pandora on and letting it go. If i want to pick and choose what i listen to then i will open my music folder on my PC and play it.

uhh... yeah spotify has a built in radio feature that is exactly like pandora...

JayN
03-31-2015, 02:01 PM
uhh... yeah spotify has a built in radio feature that is exactly like pandora...

So what your saying that its almost as good as free pandora and now its pay service? :eek:

Bohab
03-31-2015, 02:08 PM
its still free. the radio feature is there for dolts that would typically flock to pandora for music. the fact you can pick pretty much any song you can think of on the fly, listen to entire albums, and listen to shared playlists (which tend to be better than any AI radio program) and create your own playlists without paying a cent makes it 10x better imo. you can also create offline playlists...

Paleman
03-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Meh, nobody is being forced to switch. Their $10 price point is the same as Spotify's and delivers a similar product, with the biggest difference being the availability in each service's catalog. Right now you can watch all of Daft Punk's Electroma on Tidal. Spotify doesn't offer video as far as I know, and certainly not full length films.

The selling point of Tidal's $20 offering, for me anyway, is the lossless audio. I can finally stream shit from my phone or tablet straight to my receiver and get everything I want out of it. It's about being able to control the output to a higher degree, and with lossy formats that isn't possible. Yes, I know, you can't necessarily distinguish between 320kbps and 1411 FLAC with every piece of audio, but for me it's more about knowing I'm getting the complete unaltered data as the artist intended. How it sounds on my system is then up to me, not a codec.

Regardless, I don't give a shit how much money certain artists want to line their pockets with. If it means they keep making music I love, awesome.

so you think that streaming lossless between 2 recievers retains audio quality? You think that your audio device DAC or the speakers/phones you use isnt altering that audio data? it almost always is, and streaming is always going to do something negative to your audio

take pono for example, its getting slammed because they market the quality being akin to vinyl, and neil young claiming the algorithm in which audio is converting to data is flawed and leaves things out.

if you want to hear what an artist intends you to hear, go see them live.

Paleman
03-31-2015, 02:11 PM
forgot to add this about pono, it uses the same kind of DAC as a computer just adds a nicer preamp to it, even though the preamp is pretty mediocre.

norova
03-31-2015, 02:23 PM
so you think that streaming lossless between 2 recievers retains audio quality? Yes. Just because it is a wireless stream does not mean it must be lossy.

You think that your audio device DAC or the speakers/phones you use isnt altering that audio data? it almost always is You are correct in regard to the DAC/output/etc. I stated that my main concern is getting the highest fidelity audio delivered to me. How I deal with it from there is on my head.

and streaming is always going to do something negative to your audio Incorrect.

if you want to hear what an artist intends you to hear, go see them live. There is a reason the artists create and record albums.

loramin
03-31-2015, 02:37 PM

Actually as a long-time Pandora user who switched to Spotify for about 6 months ... and then switched back, I promise you Spotify is not exactly like Pandora. Spotify's radio station algorithm will play the same 20 songs over and over and over again. You can create new stations, but there's no way to combine them in to one station or listen to a mix of all of them (both things you can do on Pandora).

So both services will let you make a station based off an artist, but Pandora's will have more variety and (far more importantly) Pandora will let you create multi-artist stations and let you play a mix of all of your stations. Spotify can't do either.

Also, Spotify mixes censored music in with normal music far more than Pandora, which is really annoying. Really the only thing Spotify has going for it is it's ability to hear specific songs (which you can just do on Youtube), and a slightly wider library (which doesn't matter when you can only hear a very small number of songs on any one station).

Of course, nowadays I spend at least half my listening time in the Project 1999 room of Plug.dj :D

Thulack
03-31-2015, 02:46 PM

Yeah and i already use pandora so no reason to switch to spotify.

katrik
03-31-2015, 02:49 PM
If they get enough big wigs and musicians on board and get them to only use this service, and nothing else, it could be big. Idk tho.

Bohab
03-31-2015, 02:52 PM
Actually as a long-time Pandora user who switched to Spotify for about 6 months ... and then switched back, I promise you Spotify is not exactly like Pandora. Spotify's radio station algorithm will play the same 20 songs over and over and over again. You can create new stations, but there's no way to combine them in to one station or listen to a mix of all of them (both things you can do on Pandora).

So both services will let you make a station based off an artist, but Pandora's will have more variety and (far more importantly) Pandora will let you create multi-artist stations and let you play a mix of all of your stations. Spotify can't do either.

Also, Spotify mixes censored music in with normal music far more than Pandora, which is really annoying. Really the only thing Spotify has going for it is it's ability to hear specific songs (which you can just do on Youtube), and a slightly wider library (which doesn't matter when you can only hear a very small number of songs on any one station).

Of course, nowadays I spend at least half my listening time in the Project 1999 room of Plug.dj :D

I used Pandora for several years and I would hear the same songs over and over on my stations... I switched to Spotify cause I found they had far more variety when it came to the radio... so our experiences couldn't be any different. Once I discovered the shared playlists and I haven't used the radio option since.

I dropped the 99 cents for 3 months of Spotify Premium during a promotion and I love it. I won't be going to any other source for music. I use to use youtube for single songs but now I can't stand it. Every time I put in a song I get an add and the quality always has to be adjusted. I just can't agree that using two platforms (pandora/youtube) vs just using Spotify is a better option. But w/e use what you like...

JayN
03-31-2015, 03:02 PM
I used Pandora for several years and I would hear the same songs over and over on my stations... I switched to Spotify cause I found they had far more variety when it came to the radio... so our experiences couldn't be any different. Once I discovered the shared playlists and I haven't used the radio option since.

I dropped the 99 cents for 3 months of Spotify Premium during a promotion and I love it. I won't be going to any other source for music. I use to use youtube for single songs but now I can't stand it. Every time I put in a song I get an add and the quality always has to be adjusted. I just can't agree that using two platforms (pandora/youtube) vs just using Spotify is a better option. But w/e use what you like...

garbagify your life for a low fee and all your personal info what a steal of a deal bro, carryon.....

Bohab
03-31-2015, 03:07 PM
garbagify your life for a low fee and all your personal info what a steal of a deal bro, carryon.....

rofl you sir are naive if you don't think your "free" pandora account isn't creating a lil JayN database ;) you're on the internet sir, don't pretend your off the grid!

Ravager
03-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Not classic.

Freakish
03-31-2015, 03:36 PM
I listened to Spotify radio for a day. It played 3 different versions of gotye somebody I used to know then two versions of that popular fat girl song before I gave up and went to my collection.

iruinedyourday
03-31-2015, 04:28 PM
I seriously doubt jayz has the artists in mind.. He surely has a select few artists in mind, but thats it.

Oleris
03-31-2015, 04:30 PM
the people in the video received 3% equity with jay z getting the remaining amount. I wouldn't be surprised to see record labels pull music from spotify and pandora.

iruinedyourday
03-31-2015, 04:35 PM
the people in the video received 3% equity with jay z getting the remaining amount. I wouldn't be surprised to see record labels pull music from spotify and pandora.

for sure, this is going to be a shitty time to be a music streamer.. Its so frustrating all the bullshit that you have to go through to just listen to music.

I am 100% positive that Tidal will pay indipendant artists exactly the same as Spotify pays them now, and this super group of artists they brought out on stage will get a huge huge huge return...

all while we'll be forced to not listen to bands that sign to spottily, not listen to bands that wont sign to title and insist on selling albums still (Tswift!!) and being forced to subscribe to like 5 different music streaming services just to be able to listen to Springstene & Daft punk back to back...

its going to suuuuuuuuuck...

Errakus
03-31-2015, 04:54 PM

I completely agree with your Pandora review. In my opinion for listening to a "radio" station that isn't spamming the same songs over and over again Pandora is far superior to Spotify... I do like that you can listen to individual songs on Spotify though.

I pay for Pandora and wouldn't for Spotify. (I like the desktop application Pandora has.)

slappytwotoes
03-31-2015, 05:54 PM
I pay for Pandora and wouldn't for Spotify. (I like the desktop application Pandora has.)

You can know you just install adblock and never listen to an ad on Pandora again right? Its free and blocks Youtube and website ads too.

How do most people still not know about adblock by now?!?

iruinedyourday
03-31-2015, 05:57 PM
You can know you just install adblock and never listen to an ad on Pandora again right? Its free and blocks Youtube and website ads too.

couple years ago I read that google doesnt care about adblock, because 4% of the webs traffic uses it.

So be glad that nobody knows about it! :)

loramin
03-31-2015, 05:58 PM

Adblock blocks in-stream commercials in Pandora (and doesn't just leave an awkward silence)? I'm impressed, never knew it could do that.

Either way though, I'm happy to pay for Pandora. It's a small amount of money, I want artists to get paid, and I want Pandora to not fail as a business. $5 (or whatever it is now) a month isn't much to pay for that.

Of course it helps that I'm a Linux user, and the Linux Pandora client (Pithos) allows for infinite skipping. Without that I might not be as much of a fan of Pandora.

Errakus
03-31-2015, 06:17 PM

I use adblock, you know I said I use the desktop app. right?

Adblock is for the browser... :/

Dizey
03-31-2015, 08:33 PM

This

Although Spotify is really nice for listening to a single artist/song, and checking out shared playlists, Pandora's station customization options are what set it apart from Spotify's. Personally, I've found that I seem to prefer the variety that Pandora throws in with the stations I create versus Spotify's selections, but that's just me. Additionally, Pandora's unpaid version, like Spotify's, will select a limited number of songs and throw them on repeating playlist, so in that respect, they are equal.

toolshed
03-31-2015, 09:41 PM
I am supporting Tidal because I like worker owned co-ops and I feel like this is the first step in the right direction: music artists owning their own distribution methods and having a larger percentage of profits gained from music streaming services