PDA

View Full Version : EQNext in the gutter?

ewil
03-18-2015, 10:25 AM
is it?

Zadrian
03-18-2015, 10:26 AM
I mean, yeah... have you SEEN those character models? Pure cabbage

ewil
03-18-2015, 10:39 AM
They just fired half the fuckin development team, wtf is with that... Perhaps they need some crowdfunding... lol... jokes aside... this sucks...

Tiggles
03-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, EQN is donzo.

Unfortunately they had some really cool ideas if you get past the Wow graphics.

Apparently the whole thing was smoke and mirrors to try and find a buyer they apparently tried to sell SOE over 2 years ago when they announced EQN and they dressed it up and blew a bunch of smoke up peoples asses to try sell it but they wanted too much.

Thats why we saw an hour long sandart show and then another hour of straight unfounded hype from SOE then after that nothing. Because they had nothing they were just trying to entice some company to buy them out.

Storybricks AI was also a scam as well they couldn't do half of what georgeson pimped them out to be. They recently just closed down their studio the same time SOE got sold with zero games produced. They were looking for SOE to buy them out and once they realized it wasn't happening they disappeared.

Voxel world while not a scam has serious issues that are preventing it from being used in a true mmo sense. They islands you see in landmark are pretty much the maximum size you can make a voxel world hence the 100s of "islands" and not one seamless world.

A lot of people including myself bought into the hopium hardcore mostly because I really enjoy the EQ lore and wanted to experience it again but this will mostly go down in history as one of the biggest MMO failures in history.

Also, EQN will most likely be released btw they have a running working engine in landmark and they have a pretty big dev team working on it but with this new russian companies new cost cutting history and lack of experience in the gaming genre it will be a very generic F2P mmo that will release directly into failure.

Ele
03-18-2015, 12:42 PM
It was always vaporware.

Pay to alpha/beta the development engine, then have the player base do the actual work of building the world and pay for the privilege.

Nirgon
03-18-2015, 12:46 PM
When is War for the Overworld coming out god damnit

Galelor
03-18-2015, 12:46 PM
F2P is the fucking worst. I hope it doesn't go that way...

I understand the release of many of the leads and management of the development team. It happened because they were over paid and they under produced. This is not uncommon at all during acquisitions. You trim the fat, and remove the people who have the vision that caused the company to fail the first time around. This way the new company can be lean and work toward a vision that is successful. If Sony thought their current vision and direction was profitable, they would not have sold off...

Hopefully, the new company can whip this shit into shape and release a quality EQNext experience.

Nirgon
03-18-2015, 12:49 PM
o...

April 2nd

Highly recommend this 1

Ezalor
03-18-2015, 12:54 PM
some pretty good ideas in there with the landmark engine but basically SOE overpromising and under-delivering once again

sucks because a lot of us have been waiting for a new MMO to shake things up a bit

captnamazing
03-18-2015, 01:40 PM
what's the difference between EQN and Landmark?

kaev
03-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Wasn't Landmark a F2P testbed to let people play with the tech they planned to use for EQN? IIRC they had the brilliant idea to ask gamers to do terrain and building development for them. The result, of course, was an endless vista of twisted penises, each more malformed than the last.

azeth
03-18-2015, 02:20 PM
So... Pantheon is looking better and better...

Brad McQuaid, Bearer of the Dream

Ele
03-18-2015, 02:25 PM
what's the difference between EQN and Landmark?

Landmark is/was the world builder (minecraft) that people were going to use to build the new cities/buildings for EQN.

philjackson
03-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, EQN is donzo.

Unfortunately they had some really cool ideas if you get past the Wow graphics.

Apparently the whole thing was smoke and mirrors to try and find a buyer they apparently tried to sell SOE over 2 years ago when they announced EQN and they dressed it up and blew a bunch of smoke up peoples asses to try sell it but they wanted too much.

Thats why we saw an hour long sandart show and then another hour of straight unfounded hype from SOE then after that nothing. Because they had nothing they were just trying to entice some company to buy them out.

Storybricks AI was also a scam as well they couldn't do half of what georgeson pimped them out to be. They recently just closed down their studio the same time SOE got sold with zero games produced. They were looking for SOE to buy them out and once they realized it wasn't happening they disappeared.

Voxel world while not a scam has serious issues that are preventing it from being used in a true mmo sense. They islands you see in landmark are pretty much the maximum size you can make a voxel world hence the 100s of "islands" and not one seamless world.

A lot of people including myself bought into the hopium hardcore mostly because I really enjoy the EQ lore and wanted to experience it again but this will mostly go down in history as one of the biggest MMO failures in history.

Also, EQN will most likely be released btw they have a running working engine in landmark and they have a pretty big dev team working on it but with this new russian companies new cost cutting history and lack of experience in the gaming genre it will be a very generic F2P mmo that will release directly into failure.

Have you considered taking a break from the world of Norrath? I see your name all around here these days, and with these posts + the gyno video where you fight over who killed nexona faster + the rumor that you laid pipe onto a certain "person" in this community..

What I'm trying to say is you need to seek help.

Tiggles
03-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Have you considered taking a break from the world of Norrath? I see your name all around here these days, and with these posts + the gyno video where you fight over who killed nexona faster + the rumor that you laid pipe onto a certain "person" in this community..

What I'm trying to say is you need to seek help.

I've been trying to quit for the past five years. Once Velious is released and I wake the sleeper I'll go quietly into the night.

philjackson
03-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Have you considered joining Elfpals? We're the premier AOL instant messenger group dedicated to helping those with "The Sickness" get the help they need and deserve.

Msg cast_eq for a trial period of being an elf pal.

Big_Japan
03-18-2015, 04:25 PM
you paid attention to EQNext? for even a second? you're pathetic

GnashingOfTeeth
03-18-2015, 04:26 PM
I turned the webcast off during the sand art shit, that summed up what was coming.

Big_Japan
03-18-2015, 04:27 PM
you watched a webcast about an EverQuest product? after 2003? you're pathetic

Ezalor
03-18-2015, 04:34 PM
how else are you going to evaluate whether it looks like shit or not?

Paleman
03-18-2015, 05:37 PM
that sand art shit made ma laugh. They might as well have done the whole presentation with finger puppets our of a cardboard box.

Lisset
03-18-2015, 06:22 PM
ok, apparently I missed something. What sand art is everyone talking about?

Ele
03-18-2015, 06:27 PM
The Founding of Qeynos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkNbBz2TH0

Big_Japan
03-18-2015, 07:07 PM
how else are you going to evaluate whether it looks like shit or not?

I go down this handy rule I have for videogame evaluations.

Is it being produced by a shitbox pay2win company that has never put out a decent game other than a lucky flash-in-the-pan that isn't really that impressive when you look at it from a disinterested perspective 20 years ago? then it looks like shit

Big_Japan
03-18-2015, 07:10 PM
^similar heuristics have also resulted in my spending no time or money on games like DayZ, Rift, WoW expansions, Call of Duty, console exclusives, and Zynga Facebook games. I highly advise you develop similar means for processing the vast amount of information reality requires you to parse lest you be led by your nose by marketers until the end of your pitiful obese life.

Ezalor
03-18-2015, 07:18 PM
so your solution to the time spent watching 2 minute preview footage is

- conduct a research project on the game developer's entire history
- determine their monetization model and judge accordingly
- do a research project on all their previous games released and whether successes were luck or actually good on merit
- illustrate a pi graph to traject likelihood of new games being good

this definitely sounds like a time saver and not autistic at all

Big_Japan
03-18-2015, 07:21 PM
naw man, what i'm telling you is that i expended literally zero effort or thought on determining the game would be shit because the truth was self-evident based on what i already knew.

:cool:

Big_Japan
03-18-2015, 07:23 PM
i havent played a shitty game since Vanguard :cool:

having standards has rly improved the amount of quality gaming time I get, and reduced the amount of overall time spent on games

Ezalor
03-18-2015, 07:29 PM
fair enough. i'll admit i lol'd pretty hard at the zynga facebook games line

Big_Japan
03-18-2015, 07:55 PM
well okay that's cool but I already typed this up as part of the trolling arms race. totally serious tho. other useful heuristics for the adult gamer:

never purchase a game on release day
never pre-order
never pay enough attention to brain-rotting corrupt videogame hype machine websites to want to pre-order
never purchase non-Nintendo console exclusives
never pay for item shop items
never play a game that has item shop items that have any impact outside of aesthetics (if you break this rule whatsoever, you are literally a tumor on videogaming)
rarely play any game more modern than 3 yrs old
realize that the only big media companies still producing/delivering content occasionally worth paying for are called Valve, or are Japanese
know in your heart of hearts that Valve is the only thing standing between us and a very depressing future where American videogaming closely resembles Hollywood. even recent developments with the indies have proved that independent gaming will never be able to stand on its own against the jewish propaganda apparatus that demands all media be a device for delivering a specific political message. The only escape is by supporting sound companies and sound games, and not being misled by the Jewish press into giving your money to Jewish-owned corporations in exchange for godawful interactive propaganda.

Patience and sound judgment are the ultimate virtues in this modern world of scientifically calibrated propaganda campaigns friend, and the key to happiness

Ezalor
03-18-2015, 08:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4LO2CWY.jpg

Paleman
03-18-2015, 08:15 PM
or, just stop paying for ideas and just pay for things that are good, and reviewed positively by trustworthy sources... I mean if they are promoting it at best buy or gamestop with sweet new DLC, or have to sell you on shit that hasnt even gotten created yet.

theres some merit to "I'll believe it when I see it" folks. Im nearing my 30s and it seems like people 5-10 years younger than me tend to buy into bullshit alot easier. They never got a chance to go outside and see what is real and what isnt it seems or something like that.

Big_Japan
03-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Are there even trustworthy sources to fall back on for videogame reviews though?

radditsu
03-18-2015, 08:17 PM
My gaming purchase strat? Add it to steam wishlist and when it goes to 75% off i ask myself....do i REALLY want this? And keep up with humble bundles.

radditsu
03-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Are there even trustworthy sources to fall back on for videogame reviews though?

Literally youtube. Mute the yappy brits(they are all yappy brits) and watch the game be played for 5 mins.

jarshale
03-18-2015, 09:28 PM

Jim Sterling is a p cool guy.

Paleman
03-18-2015, 10:40 PM

I think that youtube reviewers are pretty close. Some of them overpraise certain things but you can still extract whats fun and what isnt from them. I mean have you read shit or watched shit on IGN? im sure you can tell when someone is bullshitting you or just overhyping a certain point by now right? Its all about understanding what is being said and unsaid.

But yeah, I like Jim Sterling, some of angry joe ( sometimes he acts like a fanboy but atleast he seems genuine, and he does sponsered content but he shits on things when they need to be shit on.)

voxxy
03-19-2015, 03:11 AM
i havent played a shitty game since Vanguard :cool:

having standards has rly improved the amount of quality gaming time I get, and reduced the amount of overall time spent on games

You obviously played Vanguard closer to release and not at the end of it's life because it ended up being a great game and had a very loyal core player base near the end. If you played Vanguard within the last year of it's existence and claim that it was shitty then I'd argue everything you type here means nothing at all. Yes it had bugs (it was a great game built on a shitty foundation) but the hardcore folks that stuck with the game until the end would strongly disagree with you.

Pyrion
03-19-2015, 05:10 AM
I am following EQN and landmark all the time, and really nothing much has changed. They fired a few people, yes, but as far as i understood, all the developers are still there, just some public figures missing.
They never said anything about a release date, so even if that is a bit farther away now, they are breaking no promise. What people in landmark are building is simply amazing.
I am still a bit sceptical about the eqnext game design, we will see how that turns out. I expect an alpha late this year or next year.

radditsu
03-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Jim Sterling is a p cool guy.

If by that you mean self interested hypocrite then yeah. All that anti corporate bluster is meaningless. That dude is just interested in building his "brand". Just like an Alex Jones, Glenn Beck, or *leftist example here* . The dude truely does not give one actual shit about anything else.

Which is unfortunate because in his bluster he stumbles into a ton of truths.

Yes i know he plays a "character" in the youtube/old escapist shit. I watched all the escapist stuff. But the dude is all about that brand To the determent of credibility.

Like i said. Mute a gameplay video that is not "official".

radditsu
03-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Angry joe is fine. I have a hard time believing his enthusiasm. I think Total Biscut is ok...but he kinda sucks at actually playing the games.

Neno
03-19-2015, 09:20 AM
You obviously played Vanguard closer to release and not at the end of it's life because it ended up being a great game and had a very loyal core player base near the end. If you played Vanguard within the last year of it's existence and claim that it was shitty then I'd argue everything you type here means nothing at all. Yes it had bugs (it was a great game built on a shitty foundation) but the hardcore folks that stuck with the game until the end would strongly disagree with you.

i'll second the motion that vanguard ended up pretty good. i started playing it around a year and a 1/2 or so before it shut down and had an incredible time. joined a great guild, got my epics and killed almost all of the raid content in the game. the lack of content at the end killed it for me but the time i spent going from a lvl 1 bard in rags to being in full raid gear was some of the best time i ever had in an mmo. the faction grind for the end game armor was fucking balls though but it felt awesome once you completed it.

maestrom
03-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Is there an article somewhere that talks about EQ:Next's recent development issues or is this just grapevine stuff.

Paleman
03-19-2015, 10:02 AM
well of course they are developing a brand, of course they have agendas. They are popular to the tweens and teens of this current era. But they do offer good criticism of games. Like I said its up to you to extract good information from anything now a days, there isnt any honest opinion out there.

Man0warr
03-19-2015, 11:46 AM
never purchase non-Nintendo console exclusives

Bloodborne.

But yeah this is generally true.

Ezalor
03-19-2015, 12:37 PM
ITT:

"everyone except me mindlessly buys shit like Tiger Woods Golf '12 based on a IGN 9.0 rating and with no forethought whatsoever. if only they had my internet savvy to watch a JoeBiscuityMcSterling's "let's play' video on youtube."

Glenzig
03-19-2015, 01:06 PM

I only half way agree with this. Yes VG was a great game built on a bad foundation. However, the last year/year and a half of VG was nearly as bad as the first. Tons of lag. Tons of bugs that resurfaced. Zero cares from the staff. The sweet spot for VG was at about year 3-4. That was a glorious MMO. The last year would have been a total waste of time if not for the players that stayed. VG had the best community in any MMO I have played yet. Period.

Paleman
03-19-2015, 01:11 PM
ITT:

"everyone except me mindlessly buys shit like Tiger Woods Golf '12 based on a IGN 9.0 rating and with no forethought whatsoever. if only they had my internet savvy to watch a JoeBiscuityMcSterling's "let's play' video on youtube."

hey its " that guy"

myriverse
03-19-2015, 01:38 PM
that sand art shit made ma laugh. They might as well have done the whole presentation with finger puppets our of a cardboard box.
Nah. They did that with Classic EQ.

Arclyte
03-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Angry Spic and TotalFatass both suck

Paleman
03-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Nah. They did that with Classic EQ.

would be awesome if they did a punch and judy style thing where georgeson just beats and rapes firiona. I think that the SOE crowd would understand it.

Big_Japan
03-19-2015, 04:05 PM

ya i played at release until level cap. quit for a month, and when I came back the only people still at level cap on the server had literally all moved into a collective house in the same city. game was awful and players were creepy, never gave it another shot :cool:

Voland
03-19-2015, 04:15 PM

Russian company? I checked Daybreak Games at wikipedia and they are in CA.

Blitzers
03-21-2015, 11:49 AM
I only buy what the government tells me to buy. I'm sure the FCC review on EQNext will be be thumbs up. Fuck your net neutrality bastards