PDA

View Full Version : Portasaurus I need your help.

radditsu
03-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Portasaurus,

You wonderful connasuier of meat. You Baron of Bernaise...You Fountain of Wayne.

I have tried....and alas failed to cook a London Broil on two seperate occasions. My friend, I do not wish to ruin any more meat in my attempts to perfect this cuts particular cooking piccadillos. Do you have any advice for me...or any other mid tier culinary-linguists?( teehee)

Tiggles
03-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Are you marinating it first?

radditsu
03-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Are you marinating it first?

I dont soak it. I crust it with salt and pepper and whatever rub spice selection tickles my fancy. I used a savory blend i got for christmas this year. It just seems so uneven. Ill get a bite of bland. the meat doesnt want to seem to cook evenly. I am not interested in a heavy sauce or bbq type maranaide. I was doing it on a flatiron grithat makes most over things terrific and even. I have cooked much thicker cuts no problem.

radditsu
03-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Grill that*

Please tiggles I am not a pleb

Portasaurus
03-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Sounds to me like you forgot to use Jug of Sauces.

radditsu
03-17-2015, 08:22 PM

Do you have a jug o sauces recipie? Or do you just buy it from the shopkeeper?

I can check eqtraders i guess. I really thought you would be a wizened expert on the subject

Portasaurus
03-17-2015, 08:24 PM
By the way - and this is probably the most common mistake I see - you have to use a WHOLE jug on each steak or else it doesn't come out right.

It looks like a lot at first, but don't worry, it will cook down.

radditsu
03-17-2015, 09:08 PM
a1 sauce

You ruin life sir.

Bardalicious
03-17-2015, 09:16 PM
First off, if you're rubbing and grilling, it's not a "London Broil". Perhaps you bought it from the butcher or store labeled as such, perhaps not. If you have, they've likely just sold you a plain old flank steak.

Typically the name refers to a flank steak that has been marinated and grilled or broiled. The act of marination is key as it tenderizes this otherwise rather tough cut of meat.

Google is your friend for finding specific recipes. Good luck!

radditsu
03-17-2015, 09:29 PM
First off, if you're rubbing and grilling, it's not a "London Broil". Perhaps you bought it from the butcher or store labeled as such, perhaps not. If you have, they've likely just sold you a plain old flank steak.

Typically the name refers to a flank steak that has been marinated and grilled or broiled. The act of marination is key as it tenderizes this otherwise rather tough cut of meat.

Google is your friend for finding specific recipes. Good luck!

Flank Steak is a tad thinner cut at the market I shop. I Realize its just what they labeled the cut. I was using thicker steak techniques i use for others. And fuck your google comment. Its called embracing tbe community you retard. Port is the foremost steak expert in norrath. I just wanted to pic his brain.

Please continue to ruin fun.

Tiggles
03-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Second on what bard said.

That's why I asked. "London Broil" is a fancy name butchers give to tough flank steak they are trying to unload.

A London broil is a cooking technique where you marinade the roast then cook it under high heat in a broiler.

The acids in the marinade break down the normally tough meat making it more palatable. If you are just putting rub on it(hearesy BTW) you are not going to get the tenderness that London broil is known for.

Sounds like you are using the wrong cut of meat for what you want to do.

Here's what you do. Get a nice rib eye steak let it sit to room temp then salt and pepper it and put a bit of extra virgin olive oil on it. Then take a cast iron skillet and put it in your oven at 500degrees until that sucker is red hot. Turn on your top burner and when your ready take the skillet out of the oven and place it on the burner put the steak on for 2 minutes each side.

This will pop and smoke but DO NOT TOUCH IT its making an awesome crust. After the flip and final two minutes put a tbls of butter on top and put it back in the 500 degree oven until its internal temp hits 125 for medium rare.

Let sit for 15 minutes and your good to go.

This is how 90% of your "higher" end steaks are cooked in restraunts unless you are a sou vide baller.

Fuck grilling, fuck marinating, and fuck London broil

Source: Father was a butcher Mother is a chef.

Sidelle
03-17-2015, 09:52 PM
a1 sauce
Went on a date once with a guy who seemed perfectly normal and charming. He then proceeded to eat his beautiful and perfect medium rare steak....... with ketchup. Motherfucking ketchup!!!!

I would have been less appalled if he'd simply had sex with the steak right there at the table.

Tiggles
03-17-2015, 09:54 PM
Went on a date once with a guy who seemed perfectly normal and charming. He then proceeded to eat his beautiful and perfect medium rare steak....... with ketchup. Motherfucking ketchup!!!!

I would have been less appalled if he'd simply had sex with the steak right there at the table.

HAD a friend who ordered prime rib well done and put ketchup on it.

arsenalpow
03-17-2015, 10:01 PM
... let it sit to room temp ...
This is where most people fuck up when it comes to preparing meat. It might be the most important step. Probably the smartest thing Tiggles has ever posted.

Tiggles
03-17-2015, 10:17 PM
This is where most people fuck up when it comes to preparing meat. It might be the most important step. Probably the smartest thing Tiggles has ever posted.

Cold steak causes uneven cooking and is a major cause of overdone spots.

Very very common mistake.

Lune
03-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Steak elitists are the worst. Biggest bunch of fucking autists on Earth. Listen to you fuckers talk.

Everybody is eating cow wrong but ME

portbitch69
03-17-2015, 10:38 PM
wtf is this food network?

BurgyK
03-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Here's what you do. Get a nice rib eye steak let it sit to room temp then salt and pepper it and put a bit of extra virgin olive oil on it. Then take a cast iron skillet and put it in your oven at 500degrees until that sucker is red hot. Turn on your top burner and when your ready take the skillet out of the oven and place it on the burner put the steak on for 2 minutes each side.

This will pop and smoke but DO NOT TOUCH IT its making an awesome crust. After the flip and final two minutes put a tbls of butter on top and put it back in the 500 degree oven until its internal temp hits 125 for medium rare.

Let sit for 15 minutes and your good to go.

This is how 90% of your "higher" end steaks are cooked in restraunts unless you are a sou vide baller.

Fuck grilling, fuck marinating, and fuck London broil

Source: Father was a butcher Mother is a chef.

This. Been cooking steaks this way and was never disappointed. Although I use a marinade I got from google by typing in "best steak marinade" (lol) the one with a shitload of basil, but I little extra flavor. Whatever floats your boat though but this is the best way to cook a steak.

radditsu
03-17-2015, 11:28 PM
since they are so thick they may not be completely Room temp. Ill drop a thermometer in it next time.

All these autists think i am throwing frozen meat on a grill. Give me some damn credit. I have been cooking for years. but a colder temp in the center explains a ton.

Aviann
03-17-2015, 11:41 PM
Steak elitists are the worst. Biggest bunch of fucking autists on Earth. Listen to you fuckers talk.

Everybody is eating cow wrong but ME

It is more along the lines of "Everyone is sharing tips to making a steak even more incredibly delicious with the most affectionate texture."

Utmost
03-18-2015, 12:04 AM
SOFA

Lifebar
03-18-2015, 12:27 AM

I swear to god you are a light in the darkness GG /hug

captnamazing
03-18-2015, 01:46 PM
ya tiggles dropping the bombs, second what he said

baakss
03-19-2015, 11:34 PM
The only real way to cook cow is to flash fry that motha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz_zRuTX4Rc&t=0m30s