PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Weild what they wanna

Ashimar
09-30-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm not really raging, just saying how annoying it is that people think they can tell us what weapon to use. I dont want to use a fukken Obsidian Shard of Avalon. I dont wanna use a YAK those are 9k. I wanna use EXECUTIONERS AXE that someone gave me. What are you gonna do when every warrior, in the near distance future starts using only Wurmslayer and Lamentation.

Beyotch, i got a TAUNT button i use often.

Oh and by the way, if you're gonna nuke something for like 300 points of damage do you think a little shard is gonna stop a mob from coming over
and squishing you? Whats that you say? i NEED Shards because taunt is broken in this server? not my fault, tell the devs to fixit.

Japan
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm not really raging, just saying how annoying it is that people think they can tell us what buffs to use. I dont want to cast a fukken Spirit of Wolf on the puller. I dont wanna use my mana on stam buffs those are fuckin expensive. I wanna use TAINTED BREATH that costs almost no mana. What are you gonna do when every shaman, in the near distance future starts casting only torpor and tigirs.

Beyotch, i got a NUKE button i use often.

Oh and by the way, if you're gonna get hit by something for like 300 points of damage do you think a little stam buff is gonna stop a mob from rolling you over and sticking it in your ass? Whats that you say? i NEED stam because mitigation is broken in this server? not my fault, tell the devs to fixit.

Ashimar
09-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Being a Shaman is tough. I will listen to what you have to say, We Warriors are worthless without you. Oh CAN I GET A SOW PLZ?

Messianic
09-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Being a Shaman is tough. I will listen to what you have to say, We Warriors are worthless without you. Oh CAN I GET A SOW PLZ?

Bind Wound ftw!

HippoNipple
09-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Ashimar looks scary IRL

Daliant17447
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
A warrior's main function in a group is to hold agro and take damage, therefore you should use the weapons that enable you to do so (shard, yak, etc..). Executioner's axe is garbage and you won't be able to maintain agro through a fight without the rest of the group giving you a 10-15% head start or using root for proximity agro. Taunt alone will not be sufficient to hold agro over a decently geared rogue even if they are evading as much as possible.

Erasong
09-30-2010, 11:25 AM
A warrior's main function in a group is to hold agro and take damage, therefore you should use the weapons that enable you to do so (shard, yak, etc..). Executioner's axe is garbage and you won't be able to maintain agro through a fight without the rest of the group giving you a 10-15% head start or using root for proximity agro. Taunt alone will not be sufficient to hold agro over a decently geared rogue even if they are evading as much as possible.

hes basically saying.. L2P nub.

Dantes
09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
As warriors, the only thing we have to offer is our gear. Without good gear, we are useless, any group would rather have a paladin or SK.

Comparing the proc from an Obsidian Shard to a 300pt DD isn't exactly fair. Obsidian Shatter is a 30pt DD and an AC debuff. Mobs hate debuffs. Procs often happen in 3s, as most casters will tell you - if you try to debuff a mob 3 times in a row you'll shoot strait to the top of their hate list and stay there. Ykesha is a 75dd as well as a stun, stuns put you high on the hate list too. Hate generation is not based on damage alone.

Taunt is no more "broken" on here than it was on live. Why do you think our epic weapon procs +1000 hate? We need procs to maintain aggro.

guineapig
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM

This is no good. You should only be using taunt when you loose agro.

Using it when you already have agro is actually a bad thing simply because it adds nothing to your hate and if somebody grabs agro right after you used a useless taunt, then you really are stuck waiting for a proc to land or taunt to refresh.

I can't believe people still don't understand taunt mechanics after all these years.

Messianic
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Using it when you already have agro is actually a bad thing simply because it adds nothing to your hate and if somebody grabs agro right after you used a useless taunt, then you really are stuck waiting for a proc to land or taunt to refresh.

I can't believe people still don't understand taunt mechanics after all these years.

I spam taunt for funzies

Raavak
09-30-2010, 12:59 PM

"should" is the wrong word. Taunting when you have aggro is just a waste of keystrokes, it doesn't hurt anything.

Ashimar
09-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Why Didnt ALL warriors on live servers have proccing weapons then?? like i said, they all used wurmy/lammy/defiance. Warriors aren't made to weild stupid little shard/daggers.

korrowan
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Why Didnt ALL warriors on live servers have proccing weapons then?? like i said, they all used wurmy/lammy/defiance. Warriors aren't made to weild stupid little shard/daggers.

Kunark =/= Original

guineapig
09-30-2010, 01:43 PM
"should" is the wrong word. Taunting when you have aggro is just a waste of keystrokes, it doesn't hurt anything.

Perhaps I should rephrase my statement... Spamming taunt COULD be bad if somebody gets agro right after you spam taunt for no reason.
In certain situations (like in the planes for example) you can very easily get a caster killed in the amount of time it would take for your taunt button to refresh.

You really don't need another reason than that. Good tanks keep that ability for when they need it because you never know from one second to the next what somebody else might accidentally do to rip aggro away from you.

Does this matter a ton in the case of an exp group fighting nothing but blue con trash mobs? Probably not. But if you make a habit of this it would end up leading to deaths in places where mobs are quadding for insane damage.

purist
09-30-2010, 01:54 PM
lol @ "I got that taunt button.." You're probably nub enough that you think spamming it "builds" aggro. Jeez, learn to play your fucking class. I really feel sorry for anyone with the misfortune of grouping with a ghetto warrior like you.

Raavak
09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
<stuff deleted>

True, but that's why not many people get to MT for a raid :p

Like u said I was generalizing. But it is a bad habit to get into. I admit I did this back in '99 thinking it built aggro but somewhere in my Sebilis crawls I got learnd about the game mechanics.

Dantes
09-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Not every Warrior knew how taunt mechanics worked back then. I used a pair of Wakizashis before Kunark came out, I couldn't afford yaks. Although people did tell me I should use Obsidian Shards, I told them that was stupid because I'd rather have a 7/21 weapon over a 6/25. In hindsight, I was retarded.

Plus, the very best weapons with proc that are released with Kunark aren't exactly easy to get. We all used Wurmslayers because they were cheap and easy to get. I suppose some people just assumed the damage ratio was enough to ditch the yaks.

Also don't forget about the patch that allowed Warriors to taunt mobs up to 5 levels higher. This made it easier for us to actually use taunt effectively, even without proc. As it stands now, it's almost completely impossible to taunt a white, yellow, or red mob. All you've got is proc.

Messianic
09-30-2010, 02:31 PM
lol @ "I got that taunt button.." You're probably nub enough that you think spamming it "builds" aggro. Jeez, learn to play your fucking class. I really feel sorry for anyone with the misfortune of grouping with a ghetto warrior like you.

YEAH MAN F U UR SO DUMB AND SUCK AT LIFE, I LOVE ATTACKING PEOPLE

DUMMY

HippoNipple
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm not really raging, just saying how annoying it is that people think they can tell us what weapon to use. I dont want to use a fukken Obsidian Shard of Avalon. I dont wanna use a YAK those are 9k. I wanna use EXECUTIONERS AXE that someone gave me. What are you gonna do when every warrior, in the near distance future starts using only Wurmslayer and Lamentation.

Oh and by the way, if you're gonna nuke something for like 300 points of damage do you think a little shard is gonna stop a mob from coming over
and squishing you? Whats that you say? i NEED Shards because taunt is broken in this server? not my fault, tell the devs to fixit.

You use an exe axe and you will look better. You use weapons that proc you will do your job in a group better.

Thats just how it is. I have been carrying around a goofy looking white mug that makes me look like I'm heading to a tea party since level 12 or so when I would much rather have the staff of writhing or words of darkness graphics.

It would make more sense to have a staff with a skull on it or a book being a necromancer, but instead I currently look like I'm about to cut some grass with my scythe while sipping some tea.

Henini
09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
It would make more sense to have a staff with a skull on it or a book being a necromancer, but instead I currently look like I'm about to cut some grass with my scythe while sipping some tea.

You mean you don't do that?

All this time I was seeing people with a mug and thinking, Where's the tea party!

Ashimar
09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Someone refresh me on just how exactly Taunt works then.

HippoNipple
09-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Someone refresh me on just how exactly Taunt works then.

Taunt will bring your hate up to the top of the list. If you are already on the top of the list it does nothing.

If someone steals the aggro from you, you taunt and move back to the top.

Thats simplified because I have never been a tank, it might move it to be equal to the top hated or close at least. Either way if you already have aggro using taunt is pointless.

Messianic
09-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Either way if you already have aggro using taunt is pointless.

Unless you're skilling up ;)

guineapig
09-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Pretty much what Hippo said.

so if enchanter has 1000 hate and you have 800.
A successful taunt will put you at 1001 hate instantly.
Now you need to follow that up with a kick or back or something to maintain that aggro especially if what caused the aggro is a dot or something.

This is why when facing tougher mobs a successful taunt on a mezed mob followed by a kick or bash to break mez is so effective at keeping the mob from attacking the enchanter.

Lazortag
09-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Most warriors on this server are completely awful players. The original poster is certainly no exception. Using an exe. axe in a group is basically not doing your job properly, equivalent to a cleric who can't heal, an enchanter who can't mez, a bard who can't twist, a mage who can't control his pet, a wizard who ninja-AFK's, etc, etc.

azeth
09-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Most warriors on this server are completely awful players. The original poster is certainly no exception. Using an exe. axe in a group is basically not doing your job properly, equivalent to a cleric who can't heal, an enchanter who can't mez, a bard who can't twist, a mage who can't control his pet, a wizard who ninja-AFK's, etc, etc.

true, though more analagous would be a rogue using an offhand Yak and a Trident of the Seven Seas just because he "wanted to"

Erasong
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
true, though more analagous would be a rogue using an offhand Yak and a Trident of the Seven Seas just because he "wanted to"

how bout.. or a ranger.. just being a ranger

HippoNipple
09-30-2010, 05:26 PM
how bout.. or a ranger.. just being a ranger

Yes,

A warrior using an exe axe is like a ranger playing to their full potential.

Ronas
09-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Taunt will bring your hate up to the top of the list. If you are already on the top of the list it does nothing.

If someone steals the aggro from you, you taunt and move back to the top.

Thats simplified because I have never been a tank, it might move it to be equal to the top hated or close at least. Either way if you already have aggro using taunt is pointless.

Hmm, i was under the impression you would move up the list by one.

Example: Theres three people, and warrior is the third one on the hate list, a successful taunt would put you into second, another sucessful taunt would then put you top if you didnt drop down the hatelist between your last taunt.

Dantes
09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
No, you go to the top of the list +1.

And Hippo, I am pretty sure if you are already on the top of the hate list, a successful taunt still adds +1 more. Which may as well be nothing, because it's worthless to add just 1 more if you are already on top of the list. So you save your taunt and as soon as the mob turns on somebody else, you hit it. It's all about timing.

YendorLootmonkey
09-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Or, warriors, just group up a ranger with a pair of EBS's that proc root and you don't have to worry about all that complicated taunt +1 math bullshit! ;)

snwbrdr642
09-30-2010, 07:42 PM

So you are somewhat correct but also somewhat mistaken. I think you do understand the mechanics of taunt yet maybe you don't fully understand the mechanics of agro. At least how agro worked on live, I'm not sure if it is exactly the same on p1999.

Even when you restate what you mean a little more clearly, you are making a fundamental error.

Perhaps I should rephrase my statement... Spamming taunt COULD be bad if somebody gets agro right after you spam taunt for no reason.
In certain situations (like in the planes for example) you can very easily get a caster killed in the amount of time it would take for your taunt button to refresh.

You really don't need another reason than that. Good tanks keep that ability for when they need it because you never know from one second to the next what somebody else might accidentally do to rip aggro away from you.

Does this matter a ton in the case of an exp group fighting nothing but blue con trash mobs? Probably not. But if you make a habit of this it would end up leading to deaths in places where mobs are quadding for insane damage.

So first of all think of the mobs hate or agro as a list. Now say the tank is the first to engage the mob, he is placed at the top of the list. As other group members cast spells they are added to the list based on many factors. Taunt puts you at the top of the list, so yes, with this level of understanding you are right on. But, there's another factor that determines the mob's agro more than simply who is on top. There's a certain threshold of hate that you have to pass to steal agro away from someone. So back to our scenario with the tank at the top of the list, if a rogue starts building hate faster than the warrior he will start moving up the list and eventually be at the top himself. However, he will not steal hate away from the warrior just because he is +1 point of hate above the warrior. I don't know what the actual figure is but for this example lets say its like +10 hate. So if the rogue is at the top of the list and +9 hate above the warrior, the warrior will still have agro. If the warrior hits taunt at this time he will keep agro and get +9 points of hate added to his total and will be back on the top of the list. So by using taunt all the time you ARE actually adding to your hate because just because you are holding threat doesn't mean you are at the top of the list. Also, I'm fairly sure the threshold for pulling agro if you are out of mele range is even higher.

I also found a source because I know some fucker is going to say I'm talking out of my ass:
http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12046

This isn't the original thread I read on ZAM back in the day but it seems to be more accurate than that that thread was anyways.

snwbrdr642
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
So you are somewhat correct but also somewhat mistaken. I think you do understand the mechanics of taunt yet maybe you don't fully understand the mechanics of agro. At least how agro worked on live, I'm not sure if it is exactly the same on p1999.

Even when you restate what you mean a little more clearly, you are making a fundamental error.

So first of all think of the mobs hate or agro as a list. Now say the tank is the first to engage the mob, he is placed at the top of the list. As other group members cast spells they are added to the list based on many factors. Taunt puts you at the top of the list, so yes, with this level of understanding you are right on. But, there's another factor that determines the mob's agro more than simply who is on top. There's a certain threshold of hate that you have to pass to steal agro away from someone. So back to our scenario with the tank at the top of the list, if a rogue starts building hate faster than the warrior he will start moving up the list and eventually be at the top himself. However, he will not steal hate away from the warrior just because he is +1 point of hate above the warrior. I don't know what the actual figure is but for this example lets say its like +10 hate. So if the rogue is at the top of the list and +9 hate above the warrior, the warrior will still have agro. If the warrior hits taunt at this time he will keep agro and get +10 points (9 to catch up and 1 to be on top) of hate added to his total and will be back on the top of the list. So by using taunt all the time you ARE actually adding to your hate because just because you are holding threat doesn't mean you are at the top of the list. Also, I'm fairly sure the threshold for pulling agro if you are out of mele range is even higher.

I also found a source because I know some fucker is going to say I'm talking out of my ass:

This isn't the original thread I read on ZAM back in the day but it seems to be more accurate than that that thread was anyways.

Molitoth
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes,

A warrior using an exe axe is like a ranger playing to their full potential.

I know rangers get a lot of shit, and its always been blown out of proportion. Rangers get some of the best DPS weapons in the game, and along with the dots, they are usually near the top of the DPS list if you parse. Consistant dps, that never has to waste time medding.

I would rather have a ranger being used to its full potential because I'm a smart player and understand the classes in this game rather than stereotyping classes because once upon a time someone cool thought it would be funny to dis on rangers.

Do some parsing on a ranger with Mistwalker/Spined Dragon Claws/Briarzephyr/etc and see the results.

snwbrdr642
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
ok i thought I hit edit, apparently I hit quote, sorry delete this post and the mistaken post pls.

Molitoth
09-30-2010, 07:56 PM
But yeah; if you are a warrior in a group you should be using a proc weapon that holds agro. That is YOUR JOB.

Ronas
09-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Tried the stun whips from PAW? How do they go in terms of agro?

Serith
09-30-2010, 08:43 PM
wield*

Shannacore
09-30-2010, 08:54 PM
wield*

I before E except after C

Rellika
09-30-2010, 09:25 PM

What about the word their huh huh?

Ashimar
09-30-2010, 09:42 PM

You fukken idiot, let me see a warrior crit for 150 with a fukken obsidian shard of avalon

Dantes
09-30-2010, 09:45 PM

So first of all think of the mobs hate or agro as a list. Now say the tank is the first to engage the mob, he is placed at the top of the list. As other group members cast spells they are added to the list based on many factors. Taunt puts you at the top of the list, so yes, with this level of understanding you are right on. But, there's another factor that determines the mob's agro more than simply who is on top. There's a certain threshold of hate that you have to pass to steal agro away from someone. So back to our scenario with the tank at the top of the list, if a rogue starts building hate faster than the warrior he will start moving up the list and eventually be at the top himself. However, he will not steal hate away from the warrior just because he is +1 point of hate above the warrior. I don't know what the actual figure is but for this example lets say its like +10 hate. So if the rogue is at the top of the list and +9 hate above the warrior, the warrior will still have agro. If the warrior hits taunt at this time he will keep agro and get +9 points of hate added to his total and will be back on the top of the list. So by using taunt all the time you ARE actually adding to your hate because just because you are holding threat doesn't mean you are at the top of the list. Also, I'm fairly sure the threshold for pulling agro if you are out of mele range is even higher.

You aren't making a whole lot of sense here. We have no way of knowing how much hate other DPS are generating. So we can either SAVE our taunt for when the mob actually DOES change aggro to somebody else.... When it's a sure thing. OR we can just repeatedly mash taunt and hope that somehow it's benefiting us.

I'd rather have it primed and ready to go to snap aggro back as soon as the mob turns. That stops people from getting dead. If I'm waiting on taunt to refresh because I think some rogue might be generating more hate than me... it would really suck to see an enchanter drop while I'm waiting for that button to light up again, would you agree?

When you need taunt, you need it immediately.

Ronas
09-30-2010, 10:12 PM
You fukken idiot, let me see a warrior crit for 150 with a fukken obsidian shard of avalon

So really you all about dps and seeing high hits?

Something for you to aim for then Soul Leech Dark Sword of Blood ( 9.5 WT, DMG 30, DLY 45, 2HS, Shadow Knight/Warrior)

But imo i think you should play something else. I want to be dps warrior doesnt really work too well in classic EQ. This arnt no fury spec warrior game.:confused:

mimixownzall
09-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Ashimar looks scary IRL

I guess... if you think bowl hair cuts that went out of style 20 years ago is scary

mimixownzall
09-30-2010, 10:40 PM

If you want to do dps as melee, you chose the wrong class. I remember in classic I made a warrior for dps cause I wanted to wield weapons and look badass doing dmg. Then I saw a monk punching mobs for 64 dmg while my Yak was doing 30 dmg. My e-peen went flacid.

Lazortag
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM

It is true that a warrior probably can't do a 150 damage critical with an obsidian shard. I'm not sure how this makes me a "fukken idiot".

anthony210
09-30-2010, 10:57 PM

Your job is not to crit for 150 damage. Your job is to hold agro so the classes that are meant to do dps are not getting the agro.

purist
09-30-2010, 11:03 PM
So much animosity in this thread

Fuck you, bitch.

purist
09-30-2010, 11:07 PM
j/k I love you, will you ever forgive me

Japan
09-30-2010, 11:07 PM
itt purist trolls everyone

Bubbles
09-30-2010, 11:50 PM
lol @ OP. You suckers are getting trolled sooooo hard.

snwbrdr642
10-01-2010, 02:27 AM
You aren't making a whole lot of sense here. We have no way of knowing how much hate other DPS are generating. So we can either SAVE our taunt for when the mob actually DOES change aggro to somebody else.... When it's a sure thing. OR we can just repeatedly mash taunt and hope that somehow it's benefiting us.

I'd rather have it primed and ready to go to snap aggro back as soon as the mob turns. That stops people from getting dead. If I'm waiting on taunt to refresh because I think some rogue might be generating more hate than me... it would really suck to see an enchanter drop while I'm waiting for that button to light up again, would you agree?

When you need taunt, you need it immediately.

Honestly it depends a lot on the situation, I was trying to critique a common misconception implied by a post, not comment on what is the better practice.

If your of the opinion that 100% of the time spamming taunt is "DOING IT WRONG" then that's fine. I disagree, but I have no interest in trying to convince anyone of the contrary.

Messianic
10-01-2010, 08:26 AM
You guys talking about Zords?

Briac
10-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but from what i was told and seen in game the taunt works as follows:

Hitting taunt puts you to the top of the hate list +1 (which has been stated here already).

However I thought the main reason why you don’t mash taunt is because of this fact: if for example you taunt and go to the top of the list +1, then carry on to generate say +10 more hate over anyone in your group, the next time you taunt, you simply drop down to the second placed hate members hate level but +1, so effectively lowering your hate overall...

Henini
10-01-2010, 09:43 AM
can anyone explain how taunt works one more time!

Ashimar
10-01-2010, 10:42 AM
OBsidian Shard isa FUKKEN rogue weapon. EXE AXE is a FUKKEN WArrior WEAPON. I'm a Warrior, not a fukken rogue trying to poke a mob with a little shard.

Besides, mobs go down ALOT faster with a Axe of the Slayers/Executioners Axe.
Sorry im not rich enough to afford a fukken yak, alot of people in EC try to charge ridiculous prices as it is.

Jaxon
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Can't afford the best? Be a gimp like the rest.

guineapig
10-01-2010, 11:04 AM

So first of all think of the mobs hate or agro as a list. Now say the tank is the first to engage the mob, he is placed at the top of the list. As other group members cast spells they are added to the list based on many factors. Taunt puts you at the top of the list, so yes, with this level of understanding you are right on. But, there's another factor that determines the mob's agro more than simply who is on top. There's a certain threshold of hate that you have to pass to steal agro away from someone. So back to our scenario with the tank at the top of the list, if a rogue starts building hate faster than the warrior he will start moving up the list and eventually be at the top himself. However, he will not steal hate away from the warrior just because he is +1 point of hate above the warrior. I don't know what the actual figure is but for this example lets say its like +10 hate. So if the rogue is at the top of the list and +9 hate above the warrior, the warrior will still have agro.

Yes, you are correct. This is why I also mention doing kick + bash and hope for a proc after you land the taunt.
I know what I'm talking about.
I never said taunt alone will take agro back. And anyway my point was letting the OP know that spamming taunt can often be A: useless or B: detrimental if you loose agro right after it.

Dunes
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Yeah, Ive got one of those goofy white mugs too. I just tell myself that is filled with blood, eye of newt, and other scary necro goodness.

Hildatoon
10-01-2010, 11:26 AM

First I'm not flaming you so don't freak out. I played a tank a long time on live and did tank a few raids , so I may have an idea or two that helps out.
Your job is not dps ina group. Your job is to hold agro and take a beating. Most other classes will out dps you. Inorder to hold agro you want a weapon that hit fast and procs. You see it's not how much damege you do , it's how often you hurt it. Slam, kick , bash what ever but unless skilling up save taunt for when it counts.I've never lost agro to a 300 point nuke or any nuke as long as the castert wasn't chain casting.
Now about the axe. If I remember correctly it's a heavy hitter but kind of slow. save it for when you're not mt you'll give them time to keep agro and you'll see the high crits you want.

Dunes
10-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Now about the axe. If I remember correctly it's a heavy hitter but kind of slow. save it for when you're not mt you'll give them time to keep agro and you'll see the high crits you want.

I played a warrior on live for a few years. If I remember correctly, i had atleast 1 10 slot bag filled with "alternate" gear. This included resist gear and dps weapons. It was all about utility as a warrior, so depending on your role in the group, you had a second (or third) way to make youself useful. By all means, break out the exe axe if someone else is tanking or if your intent is to "burn down" a mob ASAP. Otherwise, have yourself a pair of 1handers that trade out dps for threat generating procs.

Dantes
10-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Sorry im not rich enough to afford a fukken yak, alot of people in EC try to charge ridiculous prices as it is.

I hear you on that. I've seen folks selling or offering to buy just 1 for 18k. It's insane. And I've seen twinks who aren't even level 10 running around with them. Damn thing doesn't even proc yet, it's a shame. They should just give it to me until they get to 37. :D

Seaweedpimp
10-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Can't afford the best? Be a gimp like the rest.

Thread over.

Lazortag
10-01-2010, 03:28 PM
OBsidian Shard isa FUKKEN rogue weapon. EXE AXE is a FUKKEN WArrior WEAPON. I'm a Warrior, not a fukken rogue trying to poke a mob with a little shard.

Mobs go down faster (maybe) but the cleric has to waste more mana healing squishier people who should not be getting aggro. Your job is to hold aggro and ideally be the only one who takes damage. Warriors have much higher AC and HP than casters and melee DPS classes so it's much more preferable that just they get hit. If you don't understand this you have to be a massive noob.

Also, "it's a fukken rogue weapon" is (a) an assertion and (b) dumb, by account of every good warrior on this server (I'll just define "good" by high-leveled, knowledgeable, probably raids often or has experience raiding, etc.) I guarantee that 99% of the level 50 warriors on this server think you're talking out of your ass.

And for the love of christ, learn how to spell "fucking", you just sound even stupider saying "fukken" every sentence.

Molitoth
10-01-2010, 03:28 PM

I tried to feel sorry for you, but after this post... I've decided not to care.

Lazortag
10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I tried to feel sorry for you, but after this post... I've decided not to care.

<3

purist
10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
This guy either epicly trolled us all or is the most retarded Warrior on the server.

Messianic
10-01-2010, 03:57 PM
This guy either epicly trolled us all or is the most retarded Warrior on the server.

Strange how close those can be

azeth
10-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm a Warrior, not a fukken rogue trying to poke a mob with a little shard.

Im a rogue, but i got a big "fukken" shard nomsan?

Ashimar
10-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Mobs go down faster (maybe) but the cleric has to waste more mana healing squishier people who should not be getting aggro. Your job is to hold aggro and ideally be the only one who takes damage. Warriors have much higher AC and HP than casters and melee DPS classes so it's much more preferable that just they get hit. If you don't understand this you have to be a massive noob.

Also, "it's a fukken rogue weapon" is (a) an assertion and (b) dumb, by account of every good warrior on this server (I'll just define "good" by high-leveled, knowledgeable, probably raids often or has experience raiding, etc.) I guarantee that 99% of the level 50 warriors on this server think you're talking out of your ass.

And for the love of christ, learn how to spell "fucking", you just sound even stupider saying "fukken" every sentence.

i dont raid often, im not high level, and i don't give a shit. I'm just saying i dont wanna use a fukken Obsidian shard of avalon.

Ashimar
10-01-2010, 09:11 PM

I'm a retarded warrior because i wanna use an axe instead of a shard? Plz buff me u retard.

Seaweedpimp
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
hhahaha

Ridic
10-01-2010, 10:48 PM

Cause, taunt worked differently. You could get away with using a Lamentation / Jade mace when kunark came out - to hold aggro. Mainly because taunt become a spamming ability.

Ridic
10-01-2010, 10:49 PM
i dont raid often, im not high level, and i don't give a shit. I'm just saying i dont wanna use a fukken Obsidian shard of avalon.

Then you'll be soloing alot :P

Daldaen
10-01-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm a retarded warrior because i wanna use an axe instead of a shard? Plz buff me u retard.

What is the purpose of being a warrior... if you don't get aggro with your weapons? That is your primary role in every setting, you take aggro and keep it. Why on earth would you use some shitty fucking axe which has no aggro proc on it?

liveitup1216
10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I refuse to believe this guy is serious.

Lazortag
10-01-2010, 11:38 PM
ugh I got trolled hard. I'm ashamed to have fallen for it. But in my defense lots of warriors on this server are stupid so it wasn't that far-fetched that he could be for real-reals.

aggresor223
10-01-2010, 11:59 PM

GOOD LUCK! I know I wont be grouping with you =D:eek:

Taminy
10-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure if the OP is serious. Eh. Whatever.

I played a warrior on live for 5 years (1999-2004) and play one here. I will try to consolidate all the info in the thread and add a few of my own thoughts/experiences.

Taunt: Other posters were correct here. A successful taunt puts you on top of the hate list. If you're already at the top of the hate list it is pointless. You can test this by letting someone get aggro, then neither of you do anything else to it. Press taunt repeatedly. At one point (when taunt succeeds) the mob will turn to face you. Also, taunt does not work on whites, yellows, or reds. Ever. On live it would work on whites but not yellows and reds. Eventually they changed it so that taunt would work on yellows as well (late kunark? I can't remember).

Kick/bash/slam/etc: Doesn't really add any more aggro than regular melee attacks. Maybe a little but I sure can't tell. It certainly doesn't hurt to save them until after a successful taunt.

Procs: Procs that debuff, stun, or cause outright hate (enraging blow and warrior epic proc) make mobs mad. Procs that DoT or DD cause some hate, but not as much.

More regarding procs: Procs are great but they're not the be all, end all. How procs really suck is that sometimes you get lucky with a lot of procs and sometimes you get none. If I couldn't use yaks, I would certainly rather use bloodfire and spined dragon claws instead of obsidian shards. Sure every once in awhile I would get a lot of procs and hold aggro with the shards, but if I didn't get any procs things would suck horribly. Both for dps and aggro. The bloodfire and claws would at least be relatively consistent aggro and be good deeps ;) there is a certain break even point where a superior damage/delay non procing weapon overtakes a procing one.

Fast vs slow weapons and 2h vs dual wield: fast weapons hold aggro better than slow weapons. Part of this is due to potential damage (damage bonus, potential to quad hit with 1handers, etc) - it seems that potential damage plays a bigger role than actual damage. Yes exe axe hits hard, but in that same time you get 2 hits with it, you could potentially get 8 hits with yaks.

Oh and exe axe also sucked when I was leveling up here if grouped with a shaman or enchanter because the haste proc would overwrite haste buffs. If not grouped with a haster sometimes it was good.

rainingvodka
10-02-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure if the OP is serious. Eh. Whatever.

I played a warrior on live for 5 years (1999-2004) and play one here. I will try to consolidate all the info in the thread and add a few of my own thoughts/experiences.

Taunt: Other posters were correct here. A successful taunt puts you on top of the hate list. If you're already at the top of the hate list it is pointless. You can test this by letting someone get aggro, then neither of you do anything else to it. Press taunt repeatedly. At one point (when taunt succeeds) the mob will turn to face you. Also, taunt does not work on whites, yellows, or reds. Ever. On live it would work on whites but not yellows and reds. Eventually they changed it so that taunt would work on yellows as well (late kunark? I can't remember).

Kick/bash/slam/etc: Doesn't really add any more aggro than regular melee attacks. Maybe a little but I sure can't tell. It certainly doesn't hurt to save them until after a successful taunt.

Procs: Procs that debuff, stun, or cause outright hate (enraging blow and warrior epic proc) make mobs mad. Procs that DoT or DD cause some hate, but not as much.

More regarding procs: Procs are great but they're not the be all, end all. How procs really suck is that sometimes you get lucky with a lot of procs and sometimes you get none. If I couldn't use yaks, I would certainly rather use bloodfire and spined dragon claws instead of obsidian shards. Sure every once in awhile I would get a lot of procs and hold aggro with the shards, but if I didn't get any procs things would suck horribly. Both for dps and aggro. The bloodfire and claws would at least be relatively consistent aggro and be good deeps ;) there is a certain break even point where a superior damage/delay non procing weapon overtakes a procing one.

Fast vs slow weapons and 2h vs dual wield: fast weapons hold aggro better than slow weapons. Part of this is due to potential damage (damage bonus, potential to quad hit with 1handers, etc) - it seems that potential damage plays a bigger role than actual damage. Yes exe axe hits hard, but in that same time you get 2 hits with it, you could potentially get 8 hits with yaks.

Oh and exe axe also sucked when I was leveling up here if grouped with a shaman or enchanter because the haste proc would overwrite haste buffs. If not grouped with a haster sometimes it was good.

To add to/comfirm what Taminy said,

i played a raid mt from 2003-2006 (PoP through DoDH and a little past)

Taunt is close to worthless in most situations (esp. on classic). nukers wanna get the nasty (read: red) mobs down fast and tend to overnuke/nuke too fast from my experience.

at low levels the warrior is almost worthless as a tank compared to an SK or Pal who has the same gear, damage mitigation, and also stun/dot spells for hate.

dd only procs do nothing more than damage based aggro. stun procs are far superior and (based on non classic mechanics at least) whether the stun could even conceivably land or not, much better aggro. most higher end warriors when i left live around 2006 were split on whether an enraging blow (400 hate) aug was better than a 175dd + stun aug -- the general consensus was they were pretty damn well equal really. the decent dps + stun proc from the yak is why they've traditionally been the go-to weapon for warriors.

and looking forward -- the war epic hate proc is generally < stun proc because the hate from war epic is fire based, which most mobs have great resistance too.

Ashimar
10-02-2010, 02:27 AM
GOOD LUCK! I know I wont be grouping with you =D:eek:

Cool. Guess what my alias is then?

Secrets
10-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Ashimar looks scary IRL

He looks like an older Trent Reznor.

Ashimar
10-02-2010, 02:34 AM
You all suck dikk. When velious arrives and every warrior uses a wurmslayer you gonna tell them to use a fukken shard? good luck you idiots.

Ashimar
10-02-2010, 02:43 AM
He looks like an older Trent Reznor.

how do you even know its me you fukken retard?

Ridic
10-02-2010, 02:44 AM
If you're using a post-nerfed wurmslayer, you are dumber then we thought!

Ashimar
10-02-2010, 03:13 AM
If you're using a post-nerfed wurmslayer, you are dumber then we thought!

Right. See me running around lately with a Wurmslayer? of course im not the only one.

Eccentricaa
10-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Cool. Guess what my alias is then?

No need to guess your name... We will just ignore any War holding an ax.

Slade_the_Slide
10-03-2010, 10:29 AM

That's a weird rule ;)

Loftus
10-03-2010, 10:56 AM
No need to guess your name... We will just ignore any War holding an ax.

^ this.

Ashimar
10-03-2010, 11:19 AM
^ this.

Ok. Good luck having the Druid tanking because you are racist
against Lumberjacks and hate Axe's.

Intricus
10-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Somewhere in this abortion of a thread I saw someone say theres lots of 'animosity' in this thread (or something like that). Well, theres also no shortage of IGNORANCE and SARCASM as well......like the guy with the blue face, red dildo hat, and white shaving cream calling someone 'scary' looking. (no offense to that guy, but he looks like someone with no friends, a somewhat vivid imagination, and a total FRUITCAKE all at once) And someone else trying to say his haircut 'went out of style 20 years ago'.

You know, considering this is a private server, emulating a game that basically 'went out of style' 8 years ago, I seriously wouldent think I would be witnessing so many of the pop-culture dependent, band-wagon jumping, trend-whoring, SHEEPle that I do in this community. I really didn't think that having the latest trendy hairstyle and listening to Lady Gaga were necessary to be in this community.

And to the OP...if you really want to play a warrior who does well in a group, and maybe someday is raid-material, then you might want to take some of the advice these people are offering. Its kind of unfortanute, seeing as what TOOLS some, no....MOST of them are, but its facts. Otherwise, fuck them...play a warrior that swings an axe, if thats what you like. I used to play a monk that weilded hammers beacuse that was my personal preference, even when H2H and 2HB weps were more trendy, and now on here, I play a SK...not an ogre or troll like most SKs on here do, but an Erudite...I know, that's ridiculous, ain't it? How can I ever expect to be in a top raid as an erudite tank? But Ive soloed 98% of my way to the 40s, and Im sure I can to 50, and i've enjoyed it.

Intricus
10-03-2010, 01:24 PM
*EDIT*
white shaving cream *beard*
*to be accepted in this community*

Edit button broke gone missing??

Intricus
10-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Fuck, another Edit...

Edit button broke? Gone missing???
Hey, what happened to the 'Edit' button?

Eccentricaa
10-03-2010, 01:36 PM
No edits in rants. Make sure you say what you mean... cant change your mind.

Intricus
10-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Ah I see. Well, I meant what I said, and I said, what I meant. And what I said, I meant. I just wanted to look more professional saying what I meant to say, and meant it. And I never wanted, or intend to, change my mind. Thank You.

kinztz
10-03-2010, 03:13 PM
How did people manage to get trolled for 10 pages on this one? Well played good sir.

KilyenaMage
10-05-2010, 04:00 PM
but instead I currently look like I'm about to cut some grass with my scythe while sipping some tea.

Sounds like an illegal immigrant from England...

KilyenaMage
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM

And prices are only getting worse every day.

You should have planned for this and leveled a class you don't like to 50 just so you can spend endless hours farming plat/gear for the class you actually intend to play.

KilyenaMage
10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Cause, taunt worked differently. You could get away with using a Lamentation / Jade mace when kunark came out - to hold aggro. Mainly because taunt become a spamming ability.

I played a Warrior from classic ----> PoP and MTed basically every raid mob from PoHate ---> Bertoxx

The MAIN reason warriors could get away with using weapons like Lammies/Jade Mace was simply because their ratio (and they DPS they provided as a result) made up for the lack of a proc.

I grouped a LOT in Karnor's Castle (I played on Tallon Zek - KC was the lightly-controlled dungeon due to its proximity to Fironia Vie.) I know at this point I was wielding a Lammy and eventually got a Jade Mace while xping there. The only time I had trouble holding aggro with those wepaons was MTing raids. I **NEVER** had any issues holding aggro in group situations.

Mind you, this is largely due to competent group members as well. I think people on this server get used to grouping with SKs (who basically CANT lose aggro.) Then they get in a group with a warrior and think they can just spam their noob-nukes just the same.

Of course once a Warrior gets his epic it changes everything.

girth
10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I believe Taunt does work on white cons on this server, it's just very rare.

And warrior agro is fine if you have your gear. I have trouble keeping agro off dual-wielding yak warriors if they get proc happy.