PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana was overrated.

XDrake
09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh... And they sucked. If Kurt Cobain hadn't offed himself they'd be just as famous as Hole is today. :P

azeth
09-29-2010, 08:23 PM
the seattle grunge scene was a very nichey, people oriented music scene. i think its unfair to call out any specific band who grew in that era/region considering how heavily influenced they were by each other.

baub
09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
never been a nirvana fan

but dave grohl is the man~

RKromwell
09-29-2010, 09:51 PM
never been a nirvana fan

but dave grohl is the man~

QFMFT

Pezmerga
09-29-2010, 09:57 PM
the seattle grunge scene was a very nichey, people oriented music scene. i think its unfair to call out any specific band who grew in that era/region considering how heavily influenced they were by each other.

I agree. It was more a culture than a genre.

I do disagree about their music sucking though. I enjoy Nirvana, but I will say they are nowhere near my favorite band.

troll
09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Oh... And they sucked. If Kurt Cobain hadn't offed himself they'd be just as famous as Hole is today. :P

You may not like them but you can't deny they had massive talent and popularity. Hole's popularity never came anywhere close to Nirvanna. Perhaps your taste in music sucks.

Loke
09-29-2010, 10:30 PM
It is less about talent and more about innovation and influence. This thread is dumb.

Dantes
09-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Blasphemy! I was totally into Nirvana before Cobain offed himself. They were a million times more famous than hole way before then. Do you feel the same way about Sublime? Whether or not the lead singer died Sublime was still awesome, just like Nirvana.

Nirvana > Foo Fighters

Just like...

Soundgarden > Audioslave

Lucrio40
09-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Soundgarden > Nirvana

Nocte
09-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Everything Dantes said, multiplied by infinity and taken to the depths of forever.

Spectre
09-29-2010, 11:09 PM
God I have to log in after so long of not playing this fucking game just to piss on your grave. Eff you Nirvana was awesome, Dave Grohl #1 eff you, derka derka, Ghad, alramadan derka ghad. Hasbin can suck it, derka ghad, its not about the guitar its about the big picture you small minded %^$^. Derka, i look forward to pwnin all of you in nark.

purist
09-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Bleach and In Utero are both great albums.

Also, every Foo Fighters CD has been the definition of generic mediocrity.

Abacab niggah
09-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Bleach was ok...

But other bands from the Seattle scene including, The Melvins and Earth had for more creativity and talent but since those bands weren't exploitable in the way Nirvana was (cashing in on a culture) they simply remained underground and balls to the fucking wall awesome.

Seriously, Honeybucket rapes the shit out of Smells like Teen Spirit

Bodeanicus
09-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Bleach and In Utero are both great albums.

Also, every Foo Fighters CD has been the definition of generic mediocrity.

This. Nothing the Foo Fighters has ever done has been remotely exciting. As a matter of fact, the only tolerable song they have is "Monkey Wrench."

purist
09-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Bleach was ok...

But other bands from the Seattle scene including, The Melvins and Earth had for more creativity and talent but since those bands weren't exploitable in the way Nirvana was (cashing in on a culture) they simply remained underground and balls to the fucking wall awesome.

Seriously, Honeybucket rapes the shit out of Smells like Teen Spirit

Abacab is right, Melvins rape Nirvana's face.

Pezmerga
09-29-2010, 11:21 PM
All of that shit sucked.

A bunch of over simplified chord progressions with only fucking power chords. More than half of their songs have no inclination as to whether or not they're even supposed to major or minor keys. Fuck ambiguity, write better music.

Any dumbass can turn up the amps and kick on a pedal, play some power chords, and sound like that shit.

True it's pretty hard to reinvent the wheel, but it's not very hard to be a little bit more creative than power chords.

Ok do it then. Lets see you be creative.

Abacab niggah
09-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Even the Melvins performed their contemporaries songs better and more creative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8H_Mnfilw

Estolcles
09-30-2010, 12:42 AM
I was more about AiC than Nirvana. They had more skill and talent.

That's not to say they were more culturally relevant than Nirvana, they were just, technically (as in technical skill) better.

Crover_CT99
09-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Houdini - Honky were their best years in my opinion.

Mark D in Stoner Witch was no joke. My brother saw them 3 times I think during this era. Twice opening for Tool, and once at Liberty Lunch in Austin before it was closed. Apparently they played for 3 hours straight. He claims it was the best concert he has ever been to.

Fawqueue
09-30-2010, 01:01 AM
If we want to compare overrated, lets talk about the Beatles. I can't stand it when artists talk about "how influential the beatles are to our music". Give me a break Hanson (saw it on VH!). The beatles had nothing to do with fucking MMMbop...but everyone (whether they are in the music industry or just selling TVs at Best Buy) think the hip and cool thing to say is that they love the beatles. I'm not even a huge Nirvana fan, but lets be honest...Nirvana > Beatles. Hell, Dave Grohl playing Guitar Hero > Beatles.

Estolcles
09-30-2010, 01:33 AM
If we want to compare overrated, lets talk about the Beatles.

I agree with this.

Bodeanicus
09-30-2010, 01:38 AM
I agree with this.

I agree. The Beatles were fantastic, but they weren't that good. I'd argue Led Zeppelin had a bigger influence than them.

Bodeanicus
09-30-2010, 01:42 AM
If we want to compare overrated, lets talk about the Beatles. I can't stand it when artists talk about "how influential the beatles are to our music". Give me a break Hanson (saw it on VH!). The beatles had nothing to do with fucking MMMbop...but everyone (whether they are in the music industry or just selling TVs at Best Buy) think the hip and cool thing to say is that they love the beatles. I'm not even a huge Nirvana fan, but lets be honest...Nirvana > Beatles. Hell, Dave Grohl playing Guitar Hero > Beatles.

OK, you're trolling. Dave Grohl is a fucking hack compared to The Beatles when it comes to songwriting. His songs are mediocre shit, at best. Cobain was a much better writer, but he wasn't McCartney or Lennon. Not even close.

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 01:44 AM
I was more about AiC than Nirvana. They had more skill and talent.

That's not to say they were more culturally relevant than Nirvana, they were just, technically (as in technical skill) better.

I think AIC was worse than Nirvana, mostly because the message sent. I get it Layne is a junkie and hit high notes while Kurt can only say nonsensical things in the form of a mouthful of marbles.

but that was what grunge was, it's what Green Jelly and the Melvins stood for and bands such as Soundgarden and AIC kind of took the piss right out of the genre by setting the milestone for alternative rock.

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 01:50 AM
OK, you're trolling. Dave Grohl is a fucking hack compared to The Beatles when it comes to songwriting. His songs are mediocre shit, at best. Cobain was a much better writer, but he wasn't McCartney or Lennon. Not even close.

McCartney was always a terrible writer since he couldn't elevate himself above love ballads, as for Lennon it's give or take, yeah he could put together a song but his lyrically quality was nothing more than re-hashes of the same shit that had been spewed for the last decade.

I think Morrison and his less popular work had a more profound style of writing, as well as the band Salem Mass which had some of the most eerie lyrics of the time

Estolcles
09-30-2010, 01:57 AM
I think AIC was worse than Nirvana, mostly because the message sent. I get it Layne is a junkie and hit high notes while Kurt can only say nonsensical things in the form of a mouthful of marbles.

but that was what grunge was, it's what Green Jelly and the Melvins stood for and bands such as Soundgarden and AIC kind of took the piss right out of the genre by setting the milestone for alternative rock.

But you're now not paying attention to Jerry Cantrell's guitar work.

Plus, message or not, Cantrell and Layne's combined harmonies were pretty awesome in a time no one was really doing that... and honestly still aren't.

RKromwell
09-30-2010, 03:03 AM
McCartney was always a terrible writer since he couldn't elevate himself above love ballads, as for Lennon it's give or take, yeah he could put together a song but his lyrically quality was nothing more than re-hashes of the same shit that had been spewed for the last decade.

I think Morrison and his less popular work had a more profound style of writing, as well as the band Salem Mass which had some of the most eerie lyrics of the time

While you may not care for the music, calling Paul a terrible writer is just wrong. For the time and the type of music he wrote, he was better than anyone around him. Granted, he was at his best when working with Lennon.

Hasbinbad
09-30-2010, 03:08 AM
This thread is dumb.

Troy
09-30-2010, 03:12 AM
Zappa > all

I don't know about all, but he's certainly as awesome as Nirvana is terrible. (very)

Ledzepp02
09-30-2010, 03:37 AM
I'd argue Led Zeppelin had a bigger influence than them.

that's what's up

Fawqueue
09-30-2010, 03:58 AM

But McCartney and Lennon weren't even McCartney or Lennon. They were the boy band of their generation, and their music is boring at best, nonsensical bullshit at worst.

But to be fair, they did their thing and obviously they were important to enough people at the time to have this lasting legacy. My point though is not to troll them, but simply to troll the assholes who weren't even alive when the Beatles were making music, but claim that they are heavily influenced by them. Almost every time you hear someone claim that the Beatles are "one of my favs" or "totally changed music for me" it's because they're under the impression it makes them somehow more "into" music than the average listener. And that's the part that annoys me the most. So if we're going to say Nirvana is overrated, we need to assume EVERY major, super-marketed band is overrated. It's probably true.

Bodeanicus
09-30-2010, 04:08 AM
While you may not care for the music, calling Paul a terrible writer is just wrong. For the time and the type of music he wrote, he was better than anyone around him. Granted, he was at his best when working with Lennon.

You can disregard his opinion on anything to do with music. Have you actually listened to the shit he linked in the metal thread?

Bodeanicus
09-30-2010, 04:18 AM
But McCartney and Lennon weren't even McCartney or Lennon. They were the boy band of their generation, and their music is boring at best, nonsensical bullshit at worst.

OK, it's obvious you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. You're projecting your bias of today's prefabricated "no talent" bands onto one of the best bands to ever walk the planet, who became famous on their own merit and talent. The reason they're quoted as being my "favorite band" and "changed my life" by so many musicians is because they're that fucking good. Not the best band ever, like some claim, but damn close to it. I realize you were probably 4 or 5 at the most, or not even born when Nirvana broke out, and the "Nevermind" album is probably the soundtrack to your childhood, but to claim The Beatles were famous simply because it was a fad or trend is just fucking idiocy.

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 04:24 AM
You can disregard his opinion on anything to do with music. Have you actually listened to the shit he linked in the metal thread?

Right, it's a Heavy Metal thread, and surprise! I linked Heavy Metal and despite what you think in whatever you call a brain, Iron Maiden and Pantera aren't the only metal bands in the world and only reflect what 1% of the genre?

The average metal head probably has 10 gigs worth of extreme death metal/grindcore on his or her hard drive 90% of it being shit like Pig Destroyer and Suffocation.

So I understand that being an old fucker you totally don't know anything harder than Metallica because that's the fastest shit you hear on your local rock stations, but shit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0i_Zlv8uI0

has been the norm for Heavy Metal since the late 80's?

Bubbles
09-30-2010, 04:31 AM
It's all about 'Force of Personality' over all else.

Foo Fighters have more shelf life than Nirvana.. fine make that argument.

AIC/Melvins/Screaming Trees/Mudhoney/Whateverobscurebandyounametomakeyourselflook cool were probably better song crafters... fine.. whatever.

No one inspired more kids to pick up a guitar and start playing it at a young age than John Lennon and Kurt Cobain.

No one.. Not even Eddie Vedder & Stevie Ray Vaughan (who player theirs as well as anyone in history).

As a random side note: Audioslave... They should really get a free pass for Tom Morello alone.. In 30 years looking back on this era, It'll be surprisingly easy to see that Morello (via Rage/Audioslave) has done far more interesting things with a guitar than just about anyone in this era.

Really, the only contemporary who has the "force of personality" to bring a cult following to a fevered pitch would be Maynard... ainec. No one else has such a rabid and unrelenting hold on american youth.

Bodeanicus
09-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Right, it's a Heavy Metal thread, and surprise! I linked Heavy Metal and despite what you think in whatever you call a brain, Iron Maiden and Pantera aren't the only metal bands in the world and only reflect what 1% of the genre?

The average metal head probably has 10 gigs worth of extreme death metal/grindcore on his or her hard drive 90% of it being shit like Pig Destroyer and Suffocation.

So I understand that being an old fucker you totally don't know anything harder than Metallica because that's the fastest shit you hear on your local rock stations, but shit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0i_Zlv8uI0

has been the norm for Heavy Metal since the late 80's?

I don't listen to any of it anymore, because I'm not a fucking child. Angst all gone. No need to punish total strangers anonymously for a week on a video game because my pussy hurts. You'll understand in 10 years. You'll still be a little bitch, though.

Bubbles
09-30-2010, 04:36 AM
I hate bringing up Maynard only because their is nothing that could set RnF off for an epic 20 page struggle than a Tool fan defending maynard lol.

RKromwell
09-30-2010, 04:40 AM
I like Tool, they are not the be all end all but for today's music...they are solid.

Estolcles
09-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I don't listen to any of it anymore, because I'm not a fucking child. Angst all gone

Actually, call me insane, but I listen to groups like Slayer and Sepultura and Pantera and the like to chill out and cool off. Basically, not because I'm angry and angsty, but to curb my angry and angstry thoughts. >_>;

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 04:49 AM
I don't listen to any of it anymore, because I'm not a fucking child. Angst all gone. No need to punish total strangers anonymously for a week on a video game because my pussy hurts. You'll understand in 10 years. You'll still be a little bitch, though.

Right because when you hit a certain age you should stop listening to certain genres because it's "childish and angsty" you're fucking ignorant. Granted people's tastes and music does change but I don't think when we all hit 45 we should strictly listen to C&W because all that other music is for children, because if that was my reasoning for changing my tastes and interests, I'd totally be a socially impressionable fuckwit.

But since you seem to change interests based on how many people don't show up to your birthday anymore, do you have a calender set up telling you at what age you should go from a two-door to a ford pick up? When you should stop buying T-shirts and buying nothing but formal wear? What haircut you should get? What beer you should drink? What brand of smokes you should buy? What cellphone... Well you get what I'm saying.

I bet now that your older you did cash in that cool car for a pick up, I bet you did change your beer preference to bud, I bet you did buy a slew of khakis and button downs and put the graphic T's in the Salvation Army box, I bet you did all of those things.

So enjoy your country and western and being an old fucker who somehow outgrows "heavy metal" but doesn't outgrow trolling a message board til morning and playing video games all night.

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 04:51 AM
So enjoy your country and western and being an old fucker who somehow outgrows "heavy metal" but doesn't outgrow trolling a message board til morning and playing video games all night.

Just quoting this for truth, because big Bodean is an adult with refined tastes and hates childish things like loud music.

Lagaidh
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I was 14-15 and just learning to play the guitar when Nirvana exploded onto the US as a popular act.

I had begun to study guitar because of Randy Rhoads. I felt that Nirvana was way overrated. Having about 3 months of guitar experience under my belt, I proved to a friend that they were not "musical geniuses" by playing the chord progression to teen spirit...

... with my feet.

Theldios
09-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Huuu ??? I am no child and Yes I do listen to metal. It is a totally enjoyable type of music to listen to. you sir need to take the stick out of your ass, and learn to relax and not let the world pass your tight ass blind view self by. if not your just gonna sit there and rot like an old dusty crusty turd. you will understand in 10 years or so.

ryuut1
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
your mom was overrated and i was equally disappointed, but i didnt make a thread about it.

go kurt yourself.

guineapig
09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
After many years of internets, I have learned that most people out there will not share my musical view points and it is fairly pointless to try and argue musical taste in general with people online.

Someday you will all learn this as well.

Messianic
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
After many years of internets, I have learned that most people out there will not share my musical view points and it is fairly pointless to try and argue musical taste in general with people online.

Someday you will all learn this as well.

UR MUSIX SUX MIN3 RUL3Z LOLZ N00B

guineapig
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
UR MUSIX SUX MIN3 RUL3Z LOLZ N00B

Yup, pretty much just like that ;)

Troy
09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=Lagaidh;151775
I had begun to study guitar because of Randy Rhoads.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I still play a Jackson RR1 in part to show that influence.

Side note: I have ~200 gigs of metal on my computer, NONE of which features yelling/screaming/growling. Stop with the stupid assumptions that all metal is like that and start listening to some Masterplan.

Messianic
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Me too. I still play a Jackson RR1 in part to show that influence.

Side note: I have ~200 gigs of metal on my computer, NONE of which features yelling/screaming/growling. Stop with the stupid assumptions that all metal is like that and start listening to some Masterplan.

Most "Metal" im familiar with:

KASDFLKASDLKASLGJDLI GLD GWWWRAAAAAAARR AJSFLASJDKLAS ASDF KALAKSFAS

::decent guitar work, crazy drums::

ADSKA AJSDKLASJDSA GGGGGAAARURJG KJADKSDKFKDS

Troy
09-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Try:
Adagio
Agent Steel
Aina
Altaria
Andromeda
Angra
Arachnes
Ark
Artension
Astral Doors
At Vance
Avantasia
Axxis
Ayreon

... and hundreds of other bands who don't sound like idiots puking into a mic.

guineapig
09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Linkin Park > all

The following symbol: >

Is often used as shorthand for the following phrase: "is the crapiest of"

True story.

Molitoth
09-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Linkin Park > all

I'd maintain your Taco Bell Shtick instead if I were you.

Molitoth
09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
as for the original topic.....

Nirvana was not very techinical in thier song writing. fact.
Nirvana (the project) was a huge success. fact.
Nirvana is a great sound. opinion.

Molitoth
09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Don't get me wrong 4th meal, I really enjoyed Hybrid Theory when it came out, and don't think LP is a horrid band, however; there are a ton of bands that are >>>>>>>>>> LP.

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Try:
Adagio
Agent Steel
Aina
Altaria
Andromeda
Angra
Arachnes
Ark
Artension
Astral Doors
At Vance
Avantasia
Axxis
Ayreon

... and hundreds of other bands who don't sound like idiots puking into a mic.

I youtube'd a few of those bands, the moment I hear synth intros, falsettos, and fantasy lyrics I quickly click the "X" and pretend none of this existed.

Seriously, all those bands have album artwork that has dragons, pirates, and flaming swords... Could you be any more of a powerfag? I wouldn't consider any of this "Heavy Metal" on the merit that it resembles Asia and Rush albums more than the traditional Black Sabbath sound

ryuut1
09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA abacab is right.

i like the band that made the TMNJ theme song.

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
To redeem the fall of Troy here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zguCFjHyVeM&feature=related

Fuck yeah! Death!

Bodeanicus
09-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I youtube'd a few of those bands, the moment I hear synth intros, falsettos, and fantasy lyrics I quickly click the "X" and pretend none of this existed.

Seriously, all those bands have album artwork that has dragons, pirates, and flaming swords... Could you be any more of a powerfag? I wouldn't consider any of this "Heavy Metal" on the merit that it resembles Asia and Rush albums more than the traditional Black Sabbath sound

I'm sorry you suck at your instrument. I understand you have to hate on those who can actually play more than one note a second, and those who can sing, rather than grunt like a gorilla being buttfucked by a rhino to make yourself feel better, but those bands sound like fucking Mozart compared to what you defend. Or did Mozart suck too, Captain Caveman?

Bodeanicus
09-30-2010, 11:28 PM
OK, I admit "Death" is one of the better old school death metal bands, but you make fun of "fantasy" lyrics in other bands, while linking this?

Inside crystal mountain
Evil takes its form
Inside crystal mountain
Commandments are reborn

Let me finish it:

Frodo takes the ring,
off his hobbity cock.
Throws in the fire,
Screams "Sauron you suck!"

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry you suck at your instrument. I understand you have to hate on those who can actually play more than one note a second, and those who can sing, rather than grunt like a gorilla being buttfucked by a rhino to make yourself feel better, but those bands sound like fucking Mozart compared to what you defend. Or did Mozart suck too, Captain Caveman?

Are you doing this again dawg? Didn't you get laughed at enough yesterday for being a toolbag? If you want to spend another 6 hours foaming at the mouth trading forum posts back and forth, I'm game.

I'm just letting you know once again that

No one gives a fuck

Abacab niggah
09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
OK, I admit "Death" is one of the better old school death metal bands, but you make fun of "fantasy" lyrics in other bands, while linking this?

Inside crystal mountain
Evil takes its form
Inside crystal mountain
Commandments are reborn

Let me finish it:

Frodo takes the ring,
off his hobbity cock.
Throws in the fire,
Screams "Sauron you suck!"

No cause that's not fantasy theme'd, as it's more spiritual in nature, singing about taking your bardic group to the age of middle earth to swing your holy blade more or less is pure Tolkein-esque faggotry.

and yes by the statement I am saying that Led Zeppelin wrote some faggy ass shit

Bubbles
09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA abacab is right.

i like the band that made the TMNJ theme song.

I remember that "band!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLGRidfFo4

Bubbles
09-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Apparently all 5 people on planet earth who still buy death metal albums all play classic everquest...

What were the odds of that? :)

Troy
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM

Death metal is just as cheesy in its own way. Oh look, skulls and pentagrams and growling incoherently about mutilated walrus carcasses! :rolleyes:

The vast majority of all metal is super cheesy, that's just how it is. That's why it will never be terribly popular. Every song is not about being in love or being heartbroken like radio rock.

You're going to cite some examples of death metal bands with semi-interesting lyrics like Death or Nile, but those exist on the other side of the fence too. Twilightning's Delirium Veil is a bouncy power metal album full of synths that is about mental illness. The only difference is I can actually understand the lyrics in power metal without looking them up :cool:

I am guilty of listening to some death-ish stuff though like Dark Tranquility and Mercenary, just wish they would drop the gay growls.

Also: the high pitched vocals by any of those guys posted are NOT falsetto, these guys can actually sing so they don't have to resort to that in order to get that high.

Abacab niggah
10-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Death metal is just as cheesy in its own way. Oh look, skulls and pentagrams and growling incoherently about mutilated walrus carcasses! :rolleyes:

The vast majority of all metal is super cheesy, that's just how it is. That's why it will never be terribly popular. Every song is not about being in love or being heartbroken like radio rock.

You're going to cite some examples of death metal bands with semi-interesting lyrics like Death or Nile, but those exist on the other side of the fence too. Twilightning's Delirium Veil is a bouncy power metal album full of synths that is about mental illness. The only difference is I can actually understand the lyrics in power metal without looking them up :cool:

I am guilty of listening to some death-ish stuff though like Dark Tranquility and Mercenary, just wish they would drop the gay growls.

Also: the high pitched vocals by any of those guys posted are NOT falsetto, these guys can actually sing so they don't have to resort to that in order to get that high.

Not all death metal is about death and dying, skulls and pentagrams, really the only bands that push that to an extreme are bands like Cannibal Corpse and Deicide which shove that shit down your throat almost to the point of fetishism.

I just hate synth, because unless it's Tom Sawyer it just is out of place, especially in core infused metal

Troy
10-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Fortunately I avoid anything -core like the plague. Synths are great but some people just can't handle music that happy sounding I guess. It's cheesy as hell, but I love stuff like The Final Countdown and Rainbow in the Dark or anything by Rhapsody. I also love classical music though and a lot of the power metal synth playing is just ripped straight from Vivaldi/Bach/Beethoven which is never a bad thing in my book.

How can you listen to something like this and not feel good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Gqd0XPKsI

Abacab niggah
10-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Fortunately I avoid anything -core like the plague. Synths are great but some people just can't handle music that happy sounding I guess. It's cheesy as hell, but I love stuff like The Final Countdown and Rainbow in the Dark or anything by Rhapsody. I also love classical music though and a lot of the power metal synth playing is just ripped straight from Vivaldi/Bach/Beethoven which is never a bad thing in my book.

How can you listen to something like this and not feel good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Gqd0XPKsI

Mostly cause I live for underground shows, I thrive in the pit, and it's blood for blood and the rush I get from some sludgecore band chugging along with such ferocity and energy is just aces for me.

I can't get that sheer adrenaline rush form a powermetal band, yeah the audiences can get into the music but epic long synth solos just don't have that punk grit that I enjoy

Troy
10-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Probably explains why I'm a lead guitarist and singer as opposed to a bassist (I think you play bass, right?)

If it doesn't make me want to play air guitar and sing along, I'm not interested generally.

Abacab niggah
10-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Probably explains why I'm a lead guitarist and singer as opposed to a bassist (I think you play bass, right?)

If it doesn't make me want to play air guitar and sing along, I'm not interested generally.

Yeah dude I play bass pretty religiously might I add :o

My current rig is a 72' Sunn coliseum slaved through an 180watt Green matamp (power unit) driven hard through two Sunn 2000s 2x15's

only effects I really use is an old sovtek big muff and a crybaby wah but as you can see my rig is designed by nature to produce heavy, low, fuzzy tones due to the vintage tubes and the heavy magnets and well of course the archaic set ups :) (pretty much I'm crunchier than a guitarist powerdriving 3-4 orange heads )

What are you rockin' with bro

ryuut1
10-01-2010, 01:25 AM
testament.

Troy
10-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Jackson RR1 -> '83 Boogie Mark IIC+ -> white Marshall 4x12

I use some effects for recording, but for rehearsal and live all I have is wireless and a tuner. The Boogie kicks enough ass on its own, no need to jazz it up with anything :lol:

Abacab niggah
10-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Jackson RR1 -> '83 Boogie Mark IIC+ -> white Marshall 4x12

I use some effects for recording, but for rehearsal and live all I have is wireless and a tuner. The Boogie kicks enough ass on its own, no need to jazz it up with anything :lol:

Ever try plugging your guitar into a vintage bass head/cab? It'll give you a much more organic "bassy" sound that is primo for rhythms if you're looking to get that 70's golden age guitar tone that is quite absent in most modern amps and guitar cabs.

Troy
10-01-2010, 01:56 AM
I've never really had the opportunity to try that, our old bassist had shit gear and we currently have no bassist at all. It makes a lot of the songs sound really boring when we've got 2 guitars playing some harmony and there is absolutely nothing underneath them except the kick drum. One of these days we'll find the right guy and get back to playing shows and recording a decent demo.

taxi2
10-01-2010, 01:22 PM
I just hate synth, because unless it's Tom Sawyer it just is out of place, especially in core infused metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42BgB6Y-u_s

Bubbles
10-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Since we're sidetracking a decent debate with drivel pouring in from the metal thread, I'll just add this:

Stryper was seriously underrated.

http://www.the80schild.com/images/stryper-music.jpg

Bubbles
10-02-2010, 03:23 AM
as was WASP.. honestly why have this debate without even posting the amusing pics?

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/3284902.jpg

Hasbinbad
10-02-2010, 01:13 PM
..where is that pesky quote about this thread being stupid.. ??

Troy
10-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Stryper is a damn fine band. I still listen to the To Hell With The Devil album relatively often. I never cared for the vocals in WASP though

Slade_the_Slide
10-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I like old Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. I thought Nirvana was OK, but definitely not the best.