PDA

View Full Version : Naming Policy

nalkin
09-16-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17488

Just wanted to be the one who started a thread that should get a lot of hits.

DISCUSS

Lazortag
09-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Dang, I was thinking of doing it first.

I think the policy is perfectly reasonable but pretty much unenforceable, considering how many names currently violate it.

Kimmie
09-16-2010, 06:27 PM
considering how many names currently violate it.

http://i52.tinypic.com/t6ql51.png

If we don't move, it can't see us...

zianlo1
09-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Ever since I had one of my names nerfed back on eqlive, I have been a name nazi; reporting and petitioning every name violation I see. If I cant have my name of awesomeness, no one can!!

=P

Glaani
09-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I so wished I'd named my character Tug McGroin.

ShadowWulf
09-16-2010, 07:44 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why was my Stalin mentioned in particular? :confused: Damnit.

Dominick
09-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I saw Theherpes in game

girth
09-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Cool. I bet the random name generator will get some use now that basically everything is against the rules.

oldhead
09-16-2010, 08:12 PM
one can only dream

oldhead
09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Rules seem fair to me.

Bubbles
09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Cool. I bet the random name generator will get some use now that basically everything is against the rules.

This.

On the bright side, this has the potential to be the "Final Straw" to allow a lot of people to be done for good and get on with their lives.

I'd much rather see the sale of accounts in EC banned instead of this drastic step be taken. This step would eliminate a lot of creativity and good clean fun. Most of the joy of naming your toons is making other people laugh anyways, not seeing 8 million Treehuggers and Gnomeslayers surnames running around, which, oddly enough, is what the naming nazis are going to force people into.

I'm 100% behind GMs not being saddled with having to change first names, but this does seem a bit excessive. I am, however, aware that this decision wasn't made in haste and probably has a lot of solid reasoning behind it.

Tork
09-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I agree with Bubbles - if the naming policy is too rigid, or too rigidly enforced, it takes away some of the fun and humorous aspects of the game.

I hope there's a balance between free for all and no soup for you.

thxer
09-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Is it April? 'Cause lol that looks like a fuckin' April Fools post.

Noselacri
09-16-2010, 08:45 PM
The policy isn't unreasonable, but they have their work cut out for sure. Fully half of the server violates it. I'm making a list for people who want their changed names to be known.

Jaxon
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Well shit, there goes Wangstrong Lancelong, possibly the greatest RPG character name ever conceived.

Noselacri
09-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah =/

Reiker
09-16-2010, 10:28 PM
So much for my necro named Aids

Kambris
09-16-2010, 10:49 PM
I agree with Bubbles

RKromwell
09-16-2010, 11:44 PM
I'd much rather see the sale of accounts in EC banned instead of this drastic step be taken.

While most of the stupid names don't bother me, this does. It is one step away from RMT and shouldn't be allowed.

yaeger
09-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Don't blame the name Nazis.

Blame the asshats that name their toons stuff like Fartface, and Pwnsnoobs who ruined it for everyone else.

Tseng
09-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Talk about creating unnecessary headaches for themselves....

That's the biggest reason I don't understand it. Why create the hassle? Is it really worth it?

thulseh
09-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I think the policy is perfectly reasonable but pretty much unenforceable, considering how many names currently violate it.

Like your guild name, which I thought was freakin hilarious when I saw it in game

Estu
09-16-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm all for it. My characters all have valid names according to the policy as is. While it's not an RP server, I'm tired of seeing characters with retarded names like 'tits' and 'shithead' running around. Granted, some of them are clever and funny rather than just being mouthbreathingly profane, but I can totally see the appeal of a server with all believable names. The idea that this would be some kind of last straw for people thinking of quitting the server is pretty hilarious. Not that people wouldn't leave because of this policy, just that it's such a dumb thing to leave over.

On the subject of character selling, yeah, I find it pretty tasteless. That and power leveling (the hardcore kind, not the buffing-lowbies-at-orc-lift kind). I wouldn't mind if they were banned as well.

ShadowWulf
09-16-2010, 11:58 PM
So this means alot of guild names are also getting wacked? Fair is fair...

Noselacri
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I think it's also about the simple matter of creating a Live-like environment. People didn't get away with many of the names we have here, some of which are starkly against any game's policy or letter-to-letter replicas of movie stars and shit. Having been Wangstrong Lancelong up until now, it's not as if I can play too offended, but I think it's a fair bit better than Fuckface Jewslayer or whatever bullshit we've seen. I petitioned to have my name changed when I saw the policy, and I have no problem with it. I'm guessing it has more to do with establishing a name convention closer to what we saw back in the day than sparing people's virgin eyes.

nalkin
09-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Now the real interesting thing is that ~60% of the server is going to have their names nerfed. The question is who will be the ones to go down silent and strong like wang up there ^, and who will be the squealers, the ones that point out all the other people to get nerfed, like Taxi.

mjavor
09-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Dammit, now I have to change my alt's name, Clint Eastwood.

Troy
09-17-2010, 12:39 AM
So is IB getting renamed? (along with half the server)

Bubbles
09-17-2010, 12:39 AM
I always thought the point of naming a character was to implement something from pop culture into the fantasy world without being blatantly obvious.

I mean lets face it: most of us got to 20 and the first thought was: "Whats the most amusing thing i can tack on for a surname with my given name?".

Uthgaard
09-17-2010, 01:26 AM
For all of you people crying about the naming policy being too oppressive, guess where it was pretty much derived from:

Customer Service Guidelines for EverQuest

Last Revised July 4, 2001

8.3 The EverQuest Name Policy: 60
8.4 Name and Surname Changes 62

It's nothing you haven't seen before.

Does this mean we're going to go on a rename crusade? Hell No
Does this mean we're going to drop everything we're doing because you got your name nerfed and so should that guy over there? Hell No
Does this mean we were tired of getting spammed with repetitive, bogus rename requests from people who just bought an account / wanted a clearly retarded name? Hell Yes

If it offends you / is the last straw for you / makes you reach for your last tissue in the box: Good Riddance - As they say, misery loves company, and your neediness probably spilled over into other areas, and spending all of your time getting butthurt was a waste of limited resources.

We're here to get a project done, not corner a market share.

Bubbles
09-17-2010, 02:47 AM
Does this mean we're going to go on a rename crusade? Hell No
Does this mean we're going to drop everything we're doing because you got your name nerfed and so should that guy over there? Hell No
Does this mean we were tired of getting spammed with repetitive, bogus rename requests from people who just bought an account / wanted a clearly retarded name? Hell Yes

Thats all the needed to be said, thank you. :)

Scroll
09-17-2010, 02:53 AM
I guess I'm stuck with Buttsniff

/sigh

Comapavik
09-17-2010, 03:25 AM
How did you have 2 chars named Phil?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 04:35 AM
The following types of names are considered unacceptable:

Copyrighted or trademarked names of products, characters, services, or concepts (e.g. Bigmac, Marlboro, Sony).
Names from popular media. These names can be either fictional (e.g. Rambo, Darthvader) or non-fictional (e.g. Garth Brooks, Pierce Brosnan, George Washington, Michael Jordan).

There is a blatant and unavoidable example of these naming violations well-known and obvious to everyone on this server.

Failure to act on that particular violation will clearly demonstrate favoritism on the part of the developers and administrators of this server, inequality in the application of the rules of the server and an overall corrupt server environment.

"Inglourious Basterds" is a 2009 American film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The Inglourious Basterds guild website found at http://ib.guildlaunch.com/ makes use of (copyrighted) imagery and music from the film.

The unusual spelling of the guild name and use of elements directly from the movie make it impossible to deny that the guild Inglourious Basterds has taken its name from the movie. This is inarguably analogous to having guilds with names like "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "World of Warcraft", "Coldplay: Parachutes", "New York Times", "Daytona 500" or "Facebook".

The integrity of this naming policy, the server staff, the server itself and the gaming community of Project 1999 dictates that the guild Inglourious Basterds be renamed. Any other action will demonstrate that this policy is only applicable to individual users with no political power on the server and not to large raiding guilds whose guild leader is a member of the development staff.

Edit: Fixed link.

zianlo1
09-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Stuff

What this guy said. I would find it awesome if actually enforced, but I doubt it will be...cuz you know, that whole favortism/leaking of contested mob spawn times =P

nymphloa
09-17-2010, 06:43 AM
I agree they should enforce this, so they want us to take what there doing seriously... where is the problem with that?

Get over yourselves already! its free you muppets.

Eyry
09-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Actually,

That was rather fast!

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13578

Thanks Devs.

Extunarian
09-17-2010, 10:03 AM
What if your surname is just your occupation? Growing up in Halas, my character made a name for himself running trains of polar bears to the guards, and/or dying at their feet.

Also, I just made a new character yesterday using the random name generator. It took about a dozen random names before one was accepted. One of the random names was simply the letter "u".

Lazortag
09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
There is a blatant and unavoidable example of these naming violations well-known and obvious to everyone on this server.

Failure to act on that particular violation will clearly demonstrate favoritism on the part of the developers and administrators of this server, inequality in the application of the rules of the server and an overall corrupt server environment.

"Inglourious Basterds" is a 2009 American film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The Inglourious Basterds guild website found at http://ib.guildlaunch.com/ makes use of (copyrighted) imagery and music from the film.

The unusual spelling of the guild name and use of elements directly from the movie make it impossible to deny that the guild Inglourious Basterds has taken its name from the movie. This is inarguably analogous to having guilds with names like "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "World of Warcraft", "Coldplay: Parachutes", "New York Times", "Daytona 500" or "Facebook".

The integrity of this naming policy, the server staff, the server itself and the gaming community of Project 1999 dictates that the guild Inglourious Basterds be renamed. Any other action will demonstrate that this policy is only applicable to individual users with no political power on the server and not to large raiding guilds whose guild leader is a member of the development staff.

The policy is about character names, not guild names. The only restriction on guild names is that they can't be offensive.

Starklen
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Alawen

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 12:00 PM
The policy is about character names, not guild names. The only restriction on guild names is that they can't be offensive.

"Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Yes, we've all seen the commercials. Life Alert® is a registered trademark of Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc. While not as prominent as Inglourious Basterds, the guild name Life Alert also has no place on Project 1999. Naming a guild "Life Alert" is analogous to naming a guild "Kaiser Permanente", "Oxycontin" or "Gastric Bypass".

We all understand the naming rules and most of us understood them ten years ago. Some of us thought it would be cute or funny or cool or sexy to have the only anachronistic pop culture reference or cursing or lewd double entendre.

If the intention is to clean up the server for a genuine classic feeling, the same rules should be applied equally. That means "Inglourious Basterds" and "Life Alert" need to be changed along with "Gandalf" and "Justin Bieber".

Yes, Starklen, you finally caught me after all these years. I named my characters on Xev, Sullon Zek, Kane Bayle, Stromm, Blade's Edge, Stormreaver and Uldum servers after a famous NPC in a game that I'd never heard of before today. "Alawen" is clearly not a vaguely elf-sounding name generated by Sony's random name generator ten years ago. I'm surprised I wasn't found out long ago! Isn't everyone familiar with Alawen, the famous archer of Cyrodiil. Why, she's the master trainer in Marksman!

Messianic
09-17-2010, 12:23 PM

Yes, we've all seen the commercials. Life Alert® is a registered trademark of Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc. While not as prominent as Inglourious Basterds, the guild name Life Alert also has no place on Project 1999. Naming a guild "Life Alert" is analogous to naming a guild "Kaiser Permanente", "Oxycontin" or "Gastric Bypass".

We all understand the naming rules and most of us understood them ten years ago. Some of us thought it would be cute or funny or cool or sexy to have the only anachronistic pop culture reference or cursing or lewd double entendre.

If the intention is to clean up the server for a genuine classic feeling, the same rules should be applied equally. That means "Inglourious Basterds" and "Life Alert" need to be changed along with "Gandalf" and "Justin Bieber".

Yes, Starklen, you finally caught me after all these years. I named my characters on Xev, Sullon Zek, Kane Bayle, Stromm, Blade's Edge, Stormreaver and Uldum servers after a famous NPC in a game that I'd never heard of before today. "Alawen" is clearly not a vaguely elf-sounding name generated by Sony's random name generator ten years ago. I'm surprised I wasn't found out long ago! Isn't everyone familiar with Alawen, the famous archer of Cyrodiil. Why, she's the master trainer in Marksman!

I agree with your premise, but I can't muster the will to actually care what a group of people name their guild, even if it is "Reverse Vasectomy" or something weird like that.

Unless there's legal problems in the server allowing someone to have the guild name "James Bond," or something similar, I'm really not concerned, even if "The Rules Aren't Being Applied Equally."

Rules are rarely applied exactly equally.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I agree with your premise, but I can't muster the will to actually care what a group of people name their guild, even if it is "Reverse Vasectomy" or something weird like that.

Unless there's legal problems in the server allowing someone to have the guild name "James Bond," or something similar, I'm really not concerned, even if "The Rules Aren't Being Applied Equally."

Rules are rarely applied exactly equally.

You're okay, then, with different rules for different groups of players? Are you familiar with the concepts of rule of law versus rule of man? Do you believe that arbitrary justice will promote the growth and stability of this server?

jyaku
09-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Above all else, you may not choose character or guild name which, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Project 1999 Customer Service Staff, is deemed to be offensive or improper.

improper means breaking the naming policy rules, ergo "inglorious bastards" and "life alert" are improper guild names

Aasimon
09-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Character. Naming. Policy.

I sincerely doubt we can make it any more clear.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Character. Naming. Policy.

I sincerely doubt we can make it any more clear.

I think you need to read "The Project 1999 naming policy" again yourself.

Above all else, you may not choose character or guild name which, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Project 1999 Customer Service Staff, is deemed to be offensive or improper.

Aasimon
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I wrote the policy, Alawen. I don't believe I need to read anything again. The guild clause simply provides notice that we reserve the right to deny or change guild names that we feel are offensive or improper.

Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Starklen
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM

I'm not the one that cares if the naming rules are enforced. As you said though, equal enforcement for all.

yaeger
09-17-2010, 12:46 PM
All this finger-pointing, arguing, and backstabbing over something so trivial.

Grow up.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I wrote the policy, Alawen. I don't believe I need to read anything again. The guild clause simply provides notice that we reserve the right to deny or change guild names that we feel are offensive or improper.

Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I would say that rule of law versus rule of man is very much more than a mole hill. I would also say that you are making it very clear that equal justice does not apply on Project 1999, which is, of course, something you are clearly entitled to do. It is, at the end of the day, your sandbox, and you can make whatever arbitrary rules and rulings you so choose about who gets to play, with what and for how long.

I've said my piece.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm not the one that cares if the naming rules are enforced. As you said though, equal enforcement for all.

That sounds fine, Starklen. Rename Inglourious Basterds and I will accept a random elf name chosen by the staff.

Messianic
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
You're okay, then, with different rules for different groups of players? Are you familiar with the concepts of rule of law versus rule of man? Do you believe that arbitrary justice will promote the growth and stability of this server?

As I understand the rules, Guild Names can reference popular culture or celebrities. Names cannot. So I don't see this as bad application of rules or favoritism in that respect.

I am very, very familiar with the concept of rule of law, and politically quite libertarian. I don't think the analogy of the necessity of a strict rule of law holds as firm in the context of a closed, ad hoc situation like this server as it does in a complex society. I'm more concerned with some guy having his bank and medical records rifled through by undue process than I am of some person being renamed in a video game. They're not equal.

Let's say you're right, and this is an unfair application of rules, and any popular reference that guildnames have should be immediately corrected.

Would you then complain when judgment calls have to be made about what exactly constitutes a "popular reference?" Maybe not. But I think plenty of people would when arguing that case might prevent their name from being changed, thus heavily increasing the workload of the enforcers.

For example, say IB's guildname is changed, but "Drifters" (not a real guild, just an example) isn't. Just because one popular reference is more overt, enforcement on rules could be argued as unfair (and "Drifters" could have legitimate applications as a guild name). In that sense, the rules could be argued as de facto enforced against only overt popular references, and therefore unfair.

More argument will ensue when people accuse others of having popular references when the correlation was entirely coincidental - for example, your name being the same as some random NPC in another game (silly argument by that guy, but there are better examples). Some people choose names they like, yet unconsciously chose a name that was extremely similar or the same as some celebrity or famous character. A friend of mine chose the name "Punjabi" and was forced to change it on live, even though he chose the name without knowledge of what the word meant.

I just think that you can go forever if you want - eventually this stuff comes down to a judgment call that doesn't necessarily rest on things that can be absolutely determined. Although "reproducing the classic experience" is the vision, it's not something that could be 100% reached without absurdities. Judgment calls are made, and those calls are made for the benefit of the server from the perspective of those in charge.

Remember, nearly everything in the world has a correlation to causing cancer if we go down far enough (to parts per trillion or beyond). "Perceived inequities" can always be dug up and blown out of proportion if we really want to find them for some personal gain or vendetta.

I just hope it never becomes policy to rename the character I named "Bolt" ;) I really wasn't thinking of the movie dog (whose movie I never saw) when I made it. I just knew I could make a funny first name/surname combination with it =D

Uthgaard
09-17-2010, 12:56 PM
So we've gone from the rule so oppressive that it was unbearable, to a complete change in postition. Suddenly everyone wants the rule enforced across the board immediately. For all of your mindless nitpicking, none of you have managed to come across one of the most significant part of the rules.

This naming policy should be considered retroactive at the discretion of the Customer Service Representatives, and will be enforced as the project's limited support resources permits.

The rules aren't even all that damned different from before, but suddenly your attention has been called to it and you feel like flailing your arms about: "AHMGAD!, what about my name? Nowait, what about HIS NAME!".

So let me break this down Barney style for you. Just because some of you personally have the time to scour everything that passes before your eyes for something to cry about, does not mean we have the time to care about it. These are a guideline for US. NOT FOR YOU.

Messianic
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM
So we've gone from the rule so oppressive that it was unbearable, to a complete change in postition. Suddenly everyone wants the rule enforced across the board immediately. For all of your mindless nitpicking, none of you have managed to come across one of the most significant part of the rules.

The rules aren't even all that damned different from before, but suddenly your attention has been called to it and you feel like flailing your arms about: "AHMGAD!, what about my name? Nowait, what about HIS NAME!".

So let me break this down Barney style for you. Just because some of you personally have the time to scour everything that passes before your eyes for something to cry about, does not mean we have the time to care about it. These are a guideline for US. NOT FOR YOU.

inb4 whining about gms and guides being jerks and "not caring about the playerbase"

Gorgetrapper
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Hah, give me the power to give people a chance to change their name, and I'll personally make a section of the forum whose name was changed from "this" to "that" so there is no confusion, and I'll even have fun doing it.

Friday
09-17-2010, 01:48 PM
This shit is Salem 1691 all over again

Japan
09-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Friday? prepare to become Jibobtik

Mindsplatter
09-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Not to interject, but, is my name (Kellygoosecock) safe? I have alot invested into it :(

Eyry
09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
The only way he can become Jibobtik is if he faces the "Trials of Jibobtik" and defeats him...which we all know can and will never happen...

Japan
09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
How about that spammer Fatcock****** from awhile back, is he gonna make it through these tough new regs?

HippoNipple
09-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Everyone should just grow up and pick an animal body part as their name like me.

purist
09-17-2010, 02:51 PM
ITT:

http://www.tooconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/this-is-an-outrage.jpg

Lazortag
09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Alawen, you are being incredibly obtuse. You first made a really long post saying that IB had violated the [character] naming policy with their copyrighted name. You then posted overly thorough reasoning defending this position, even showing that it couldn't be a coincidence because of the spelling, as if anyone was plausibly going to deny that:

This was fine at first because it was clear that you just misunderstood that the character naming policy applied to characters, not guilds, and that the clause at the end was just to specify that the guides have the power to change really bad guild names too:

I can understand someone taking issue with the use of the word "improper" here, because what constitutes an "improper" guild name is undefined - but that's no reason to assume that "improper" means "in violation of the CHARACTER naming policy", which someone else suggested. If a guide made this suggestion I'm sure you'd all be outraged at their own selective interpretation of the word "improper".

So I clarified what should have been a matter of simple english and reading comprehension here:

To which you responded with something that totally ignored my post:

And then again:

I would say that rule of law versus rule of man is very much more than a mole hill. I would also say that you are making it very clear that equal justice does not apply on Project 1999, which is, of course, something you are clearly entitled to do. It is, at the end of the day, your sandbox, and you can make whatever arbitrary rules and rulings you so choose about who gets to play, with what and for how long.

I've said my piece.

And then again:

That sounds fine, Starklen. Rename Inglourious Basterds and I will accept a random elf name chosen by the staff.

Yet at no point did you ever respond to my assertion that the character naming policy applied just to characters. You just made another overly thorough post showing that LifeAlert is copyrighted (really? I totally didn't know that) as if that was somehow relevant. You then made two other posts basically restating the same stupid point that was already responded to (and at one point even clarified by the one who wrote the policy) - that there's somehow a double standard because Inglourious Basterds and LifeAlert aren't going to get renamed under the new policy, which displays your complicate misunderstanding of what the policy is targeted at.

Now that I've made my own TLDR post to thoroughly respond to everything you've said, can you please drop it and admit that you were being silly the whole time?

nalkin
09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I think I get what Alawen is saying and I think I pretty much agree, although let me say that, as pretty much always, I don't really care that much one way or the other.

What is the reason of this whole naming policy thing? Is it to enhance immersion or to get rid of any racist or slanderous names? If its the latter why not just get rid of those names and let the funny phrase names be able to stay. So really the reason behind it must be to make us feel like we are really in elf land even though we are taking dumps in fecefied socks.

Basically any reason as to why they are doing this policy, logically must include that the guild names should be changed to fit accordingly. Why change someones funny phrase name and make it an elf name when there is going to be a "Life Alert", or "IB" tag right below their name? (No I don't want the name Life Alert or IB changed, just using them as an example). Logically, whatever their reason is its contradictory.

That said, I don't care what happens, I'm not mad at the devs or anyone or whatever.

Tokum-6n0m3
09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
What is the reason of this whole naming policy thing? Is it to enhance immersion or to get rid of any racist or slanderous names? If its the latter why not just get rid of those names and let the funny phrase names be able to stay.

I think they loosely worded it for one simple reason, they dont really care about the funny names, but for instance i planned on being Tokum Someherb, now this name isnt racist at all, and to most people wouldn't be offensive, however if they received a petition about it, from someone who's son was shot by a pot-head, they'd remove it, and cause i know the name policy, I wouldn't have a reason to complain about it.......

They're covering there asses. You guys complain to much.....

ryuut1
09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Names of religious, occult, or significant historic origin (e.g. Jesus, Allah, Satan, Stalin).

is this unfair to people who's names are Jesus? the guy who does my lawn is named jesus.

ryuut1
09-17-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm all for it. My characters all have valid names according to the policy as is. While it's not an RP server, I'm tired of seeing characters with retarded names like 'tits' and 'shithead' running around. Granted, some of them are clever and funny rather than just being mouthbreathingly profane, but I can totally see the appeal of a server with all believable names. The idea that this would be some kind of last straw for people thinking of quitting the server is pretty hilarious. Not that people wouldn't leave because of this policy, just that it's such a dumb thing to leave over.

On the subject of character selling, yeah, I find it pretty tasteless. That and power leveling (the hardcore kind, not the buffing-lowbies-at-orc-lift kind). I wouldn't mind if they were banned as well.

Because Jorklach Kebantik Treeslayer is such a believable and reasonable name.

druziil
09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
I know i would be pissed if i lost my name. I've used this name since 2001 (before i played Everquest or even knew there was a Druzil in the EQ universe) for almost every internet function that required a user name, even at one point on EQ live.

ryuut1
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Alawen, you are being incredibly obtuse.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/Rbless/obtuse-demotivational-poster-1238561610png.jpg

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Nalkin gets it; Lazortag never will.

I really don't care about appropriate names. I've never participated in any of the name nazi antics. I don't really care if my name gets changed. I am super amused that Starklen immediately launched into google to search for my randomly generated elf name.

My entire point is consistency and even a vague semblance of fairness. I like Cyrius and I think Uthgaard is alright, too, but they both are taking the server farther in the direction of "because I said so", which I personally consider a mistake. Without the player base, this server is just another personal playground in that long list of emulator servers we all ignore every time we launch the software.

Maybe you don't think that can happen here. You would be wrong.

Uthgaard
09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
What is the reason of this whole naming policy thing?

If only someone had answered this question already. Oh wait:

There's a little button by my name in the quote. When your knees stop jerking, you should click it. Go on.

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Err unless I am mistaken wasn't the only recent change to the naming policy that they would no longer do name changes by request?

Like as far as I can remember it was always against the rules to name your character Mickey Mouse or whatever, am I wrong?

Shannacore
09-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Err unless I am mistaken wasn't the only recent change to the naming policy that they would no longer do name changes by request?

Like as far as I can remember it was always against the rules to name your character Mickey Mouse or whatever, am I wrong?

There was no official posting about it 'til now

Uthgaard
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Yes, there was. Posted by Wenai, clearly labelled "ROUGH DRAFT", and it wasn't much different from what's there now. Which is why it's so hilarious to watch the usual teardrops fall from the usual people, over something that didn't really change.

TLDR: The only change that happened, was we're not going to rename people at their own behest any longer - and you can thank those who abused the privelege and spammed the shit out of staff with retarded name requests.

Shannacore
09-17-2010, 05:34 PM
TLDR: The only change that happened, was we're not going to rename people at their own behest any longer.

UUUUGH how am I supposed to bug guides with a billion surname changes a day.

/siiiiiiigh

ryuut1
09-17-2010, 05:34 PM
can we get a custom name change if we approach you with our bad names first, instead of you having to hunt us?

Aasimon
09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
UUUUGH how am I supposed to bug guides with a billion surname changes a day.

/siiiiiiigh

Players may continue to request surname changes. :)

can we get a custom name change if we approach you with our bad names first, instead of you having to hunt us?

Assuming that we have the time and/or inclination to "hunt" you down: sure.

Shannacore
09-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Who may I direct my complaints to if a guide gives you a surname without your request for said surname?

WILL I BE "TRALINA REMOVAL" FOREVER?

Aasimon
09-17-2010, 05:46 PM
After carefully weighing your complaint over the course or 4.31 seconds, I have decided that you will be Tralina Removal for life.

Shannacore
09-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, thank you for slaving over my request. The time and effort is very appreciated~

Eccentricaa
09-17-2010, 05:52 PM
So is IB getting renamed? (along with half the server)

I was wondering the same thing...

Starklen

I really don't care about appropriate names. I've never participated in any of the name nazi antics. I don't really care if my name gets changed. I am super amused that Starklen immediately launched into google to search for my randomly generated elf name.

My entire point is consistency and even a vague semblance of fairness. I like Cyrius and I think Uthgaard is alright, too, but they both are taking the server farther in the direction of "because I said so", which I personally consider a mistake. Without the player base, this server is just another personal playground in that long list of emulator servers we all ignore every time we launch the software.

You should change your name for the sake of consistency imo.

Uthgaard
if a guide gives you a surname without your request for said surname?

WILL I BE "TRALINA REMOVAL" FOREVER?

[Tue Sep 14 23:05:56 2010] [09/14-09:47PM] (44540)Tralina: Would like a surname removal when the time is availabl~

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 05:53 PM
You should change your name for the sake of consistency imo.

I wonder if you realize that you are never funny or clever or interesting or cool. Stop eating the paste, mouthbreather.

Shannacore
09-17-2010, 05:59 PM
[Tue Sep 14 23:05:56 2010] [09/14-09:47PM] (44540)Tralina: Would like a surname removal when the time is availabl~

Ahaha, Uthgaard, you are a smartass.

Where did the 'e' on available go :(

Pico
09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I wonder if you realize that you are never funny or clever or interesting or cool. Stop eating the paste, mouthbreather.

you are pretty much the definition of mouth breather after your giant rant about being terribly oppressed on a video game emulator

ryuut1
09-17-2010, 06:10 PM
i breathe through my mouth after a heavy night of the yeyo.

Starklen
09-17-2010, 06:13 PM

And you're a bitter old hermit. Get fucked.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:14 PM
you are pretty much the definition of mouth breather after your giant rant about being terribly oppressed on a video game emulator

You clearly won't ever get it, either. I could not give less of a fuck about who is named what on this emulator server. It's all stupid pseudo-bureaucratic bullshit. It's an easy decision. Either you treat everyone the same or you say, "Fuck you, we do what we want," and stop explaining or responding to criticism.

The stupidest thing is for the community forums to be administered by the staff. Now that is not classic.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:15 PM
And you're a bitter old hermit. Get fucked.

Oh no *gasp* Starklen told me *inhale* to get fucked. *pant*

umb?

Starklen
09-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Didn't you say you were leaving RnF forever?

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:26 PM
The stupidest thing is for the community forums to be administered by the staff. Now that is not classic.

So open up your own community forums like people did back in classic? Don't really understand this complaint tbh. I seem to recall that sony did host everquest forums, and people just chose to use other sites instead, am I wrong?

Anyways, good luck with your crusade to do whatever it is you are attempting to do by posting some walls of text in this thread about a topic you don't care about !

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:27 PM
So open up your own community forums like people did back in classic? Don't really understand this complaint tbh. I seem to recall that sony did host everquest forums, and people just chose to use other sites instead, am I wrong?

Anyways, good luck with your crusade to do whatever it is you are attempting to do by posting some walls of text in this thread about a topic you don't care about !

Yes, you're wrong.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your thoughts on a game you stopped playing six months ago.

Pico
09-17-2010, 06:29 PM
You clearly won't ever get it, either. I could not give less of a fuck about who is named what on this emulator server. It's all stupid pseudo-bureaucratic bullshit. It's an easy decision. Either you treat everyone the same or you say, "Fuck you, we do what we want," and stop explaining or responding to criticism.

forgive my ignorance, valiant philosophical warrior. i wish you well in your quest to restore justice in the corrupt lands of project99

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Yes, you're wrong.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your thoughts on a game you stopped playing six months ago.

So to be clear, Sony did not host Everquest forums?

Thanks for clearing that up for me dude

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Didn't you say you were leaving RnF forever?

Well actually *gasp* I wrote a sort of *snort* parable. *sucks wind*

Did you know that when you cast ignite bones on large hit box raids mobs that the melees miss more damage as they reposition themselves than your spell generates? No, obviously you didn't.

You... mad... bro?

Starklen
09-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Well actually *gasp* I wrote a sort of *snort* parable. *sucks wind*

Did you know that when you cast ignite bones on large hit box raids mobs that the melees miss more damage as they reposition themselves than your spell generates? No, obviously you didn't.

You... mad... bro?

So, you aren't leaving?

ryuut1
09-17-2010, 06:33 PM
noone else wants to talk about cocaine?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:35 PM
So to be clear, Sony did not host Everquest forums?

Thanks for clearing that up for me dude

So to be clear, you didn't actually play on live and your post was pure speculation?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:36 PM
So, you aren't leaving?

I think you should see a doctor.

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:37 PM
I did play on live and I do recall on occasion reading the everquest forums hosted on the official website. However to say that my memory is perfect would be far from true, and you seem so assured of yourself that surely I must be mistaken.

I am mistaken right?

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Cause tbh I don't think I am mistaken and I think you are making up shit to try to make your point stronger, but surely you wouldn't do that?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:40 PM
I did play on live and I do recall on occasion reading the everquest forums hosted on the official website. However to say that my memory is perfect would be far from true, and you seem so assured of yourself that surely I must be mistaken.

I am mistaken right?

Remember when you were going to fight Modus but then you couldn't find your scrotum and then "something came up"?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Cause tbh I don't think I am mistaken and I think you are making up shit to try to make your point stronger, but surely you wouldn't do that?

Please point me to the official EverQuest server forums, boy genius.

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah it was unfortunate that he backed out of his offer for the duel (god loot vs god loot) and refused to duel me right away, but when it came down to either a) passing up my invitation to play in a poker tournament at Bioware or b) spend my saturday evening logged into everquest I somehow chose choice a.

Why are you changing the subject I don't get it, weren't you trying to tell me how there were never everquest forums hosted by sony during classic EQ?

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:45 PM
eh, passing up = accepting if that isn't clear enough.

Is this what you are looking for? http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/forums

it's funny I don't think the url has even changed in 10 years

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:46 PM
c/p failure :( http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/forums/list.m

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah it was unfortunate that he backed out of his offer for the duel (god loot vs god loot) and refused to duel me right away, but when it came down to either a) passing up my invitation to play in a poker tournament at Bioware or b) spend my saturday evening logged into everquest I somehow chose choice a.

Why are you changing the subject I don't get it, weren't you trying to tell me how there were never everquest forums hosted by sony during classic EQ?

Are you fucking stupid? Link the fucking server forums. I played on Xev, Sullon Zek, Kane Bayle, Venril Sathir and Stromm. Please link the official Sony-hosted server forum for any or all of those servers. An archive.org link would be fine. A current link would be even better--I'd love to catch up with some old friends form live.

Remember when real money trades were banned and fucking whores like you quit the server because they couldn't pimp it for $50 anymore?

Shannacore
09-17-2010, 06:49 PM
So many bad vibes in this thread~

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:49 PM
So many bad vibes in this thread~

You're right. I'm wasting my time with morons like mouthbreather and real money trade whore. The fog has burned off some; I think I'll go for a walk.

Starklen
09-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Says the guy who proudly declared he wasn't going to post here. I guess we'll have to wait for another one of your zen moments before you leave again.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Says the guy who proudly declared he wasn't going to post here. I guess we'll have to wait for another one of your zen moments before you leave again.

Post a link, mouthbreather. I wrote a story. You read into it what you chose to read into it.

I bet you'll still cast ignite bones tonight.

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Err what? I've never done any real money trades on p99 dude sorry to disappoint I guess you have me mixed up with someone else? Maybe you should get together with finawin and make up some more stuff together, you can talk about how I afk levelled myself while farming shit and selling it for real money or something?

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 06:55 PM
and camp stealing too, put some camp stealing in there ;)

Starklen
09-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Post a link, mouthbreather. I wrote a story. You read into it what you chose to read into it.

I bet you'll still cast ignite bones tonight.

You're the grown ass man who threw a temper tantrum and got kicked to the curb. I regret ever sticking up for you.

Bagzan
09-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow, Alawen bringing up, complaining, and getting self righteous about something before having a moment of mental clarity and trying to leave the discussion like he's taking the high road. This sure is a new development in the personality of Alawen and I must say, I for one, am shocked.

Autotune
09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
I like where this is going :)

well everything past the initial post about the name changing...

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
You really don't want to throw down with me, boys.

I will rape your fucking guild like you've never imagined could happen. If you haven't noticed, you are in trouble. You can't get 20 full members online. You are in desperate need of new recruits. If you don't think true stories of the shithole that is Inglourious Basterds will lead to an even lower standard of shitty recruits, you are sadly mistaken.

purist
09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Alawen, shut the fuck up already. You're fucking more annoying than Finawin (didn't think that was possible) and nobody gives a shit about your opinion.

Nothing more pathetic than someone narcissistic enough to make a "Goodbye" thread and then comes crawing back and shits up a thread with 7 pages of pure nerd-rage.

Uthgaard
09-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Why yes, you are correct. There were official Everquest boards. Shockingly, every single one of the common debates that pop up here are quite classic.

In response to a player who was upset regarding the censorship and locking of threads on the official EverQuest boards, Absor responded that although there can be a limited number of off topic threads, the amount must be controlled. (http://web.archive.org/web/20001109122600/http://eq.castersrealm.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=2858)

NAMING POLICIES
Gordon explained to a player about why first names in Everquest are not changed under the majority of circumstances. (http://web.archive.org/web/20000520084528/http://eq.castersrealm.com/)

I BAN THEE - AND WITH GOOD REASON
Abashi explained on the EverQuest forums that even though Verant will not discuss circumstances surrounding the banning of accounts, this does not mean they do not have sufficent proof to justify their actions. (http://web.archive.org/web/20000816000412/http://eq.castersrealm.com/)

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 07:14 PM
To be fair he does make a somewhat valid point that forums for each individual server were not hosted on the everquest website and it instead fell to the community to make and populate a forum for their particular server.

This comparison to p99 of course falls apart entirely when one considers that there is only one p99 server, and with the exception of the Rants and Flames forum every single subforum on project1999.org has an equivalent over on the official EQ forums.

Lazortag
09-17-2010, 07:18 PM

This isn't really a fair account of what happened in this thread. You asserted that IB was somehow going to be favoured by not getting its name changed, after which it was clarified that the policy wasn't aimed at guild names. This is what you said in response to Aasimon concerning this:

I would also say that you are making it very clear that equal justice does not apply on Project 1999, which is, of course, something you are clearly entitled to do. It is, at the end of the day, your sandbox, and you can make whatever arbitrary rules and rulings you so choose about who gets to play, with what and for how long.

As far as I can tell (since I can actually read, and you can't), this isn't at all consistent with Nalkin's interpretation of the meaning behind your posts in this thread - which is curiously what you stuck to in the end. Nowhere in your post does it say, "it's inconsistent that the policy applies to character names and not to guild names". Maybe Nalkin has a point, but you never did. You just kept repeating things that were already adequately responded to. I actually can't believe that I had the courtesy to respond to everything in your enormous TLDR posts and you didn't respond to one word in mine.

Also, on an unrelated note, Estu is very smart.

My opinion in the end is that this "policy change" will change very little and people are overreacting, since the guides will probably just adhere to something resembling the old standard and only change really egregious names that they see or are petitioned to them. If the old standard was technically the same as this one as Uthgaard and others have said, then I think some fault lies with whoever wrote the old policy, because it does seem overly strict (names that are anachronistic, or references to real-world media, are probably harmless, but like Nalkin I care really little either way and can't fathom why people like Alawen have shat a brick over this. Also, it's pretty much classic, so I can't complain).

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Alawen, shut the fuck up already. You're fucking more annoying than Finawin (didn't think that was possible) and nobody gives a shit about your opinion.

Nothing more pathetic than someone narcissistic enough to make a "Goodbye" thread and then comes crawing back and shits up a thread with 7 pages of pure nerd-rage.

No you shut up!!!!!!!!!11111one

I'm going to explain a couple things. I'll use small words so you have some vague hope of understanding.

This thread didn't begin in R&F. It was moved here about the time Starklen aka mouthbreather decided made it personal.

There has been no elevation in my heartrate throughout the entire thread. I have no horse in this race. None of my character names violate the policy.

"Inglourious Basterds" clearly violates any reasonable naming policy. I don't really care if the name continues to exist; I simply pointed out the glaring inconsistency in the policy.

I knew, even as I wrote my original post and then went to bed last night, that one of the learning disabled IB defenders would go off on it. Yes, that's you, Starklen, Gwence and Glith.

Still waiting on links to those Sony server forums, Magicflow, but I'm sure you're much too busy grinding out your next $50.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 07:27 PM
To be fair he does make a somewhat valid point that forums for each individual server were not hosted on the everquest website and it instead fell to the community to make and populate a forum for their particular server.

This comparison to p99 of course falls apart entirely when one considers that there is only one p99 server, and with the exception of the Rants and Flames forum every single subforum on project1999.org has an equivalent over on the official EQ forums.

The only reason anyone ever read the official forums was for patch notes. The rest of it was a bunch of trite and obvious crap. Real community discussions happened on private servers, usually on EZ Board, which has no become Yuku or something like that. Real class discussions happened on private sites, i.e. Monkly Business, Safehouse, Steel Warrior and so on.

The fact that the Project 1999 forums are administered and censored by the same individuals who run the server is very much not classic.

Oh wait, you said you read the official forums. Never mind.

Starklen
09-17-2010, 07:28 PM
You got mad that I insisted you change your name to be consistent. I know you take things seriously enough to interpret that as an insult so you get a pass I guess.

ryuut1
09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/Rbless/cocaine-300x223.jpg

Bagzan
09-17-2010, 07:32 PM
"Reasonable" is subjective and it's been stated multiple times that the name is fine by people that actually have the power to make that claim so clearly it doesn't violate it. Do you realize, and this isn't a flame about you, just a statement of fact, that you try and pass off your (often biased or flat out wrong [in the case of the shaman questions thread where you said only Ogre shaman can solo things like Lodizal]) opinions as fact or do you honestly believe that everything you say is the unfiltered truth?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 07:32 PM
This isn't really a fair account of what happened in this thread. You asserted that IB was somehow going to be favoured by not getting its name changed, after which it was clarified that the policy wasn't aimed at guild names. This is what you said in response to Aasimon concerning this:

As far as I can tell (since I can actually read, and you can't), this isn't at all consistent with Nalkin's interpretation of the meaning behind your posts in this thread - which is curiously what you stuck to in the end. Nowhere in your post does it say, "it's inconsistent that the policy applies to character names and not to guild names". Maybe Nalkin has a point, but you never did. You just kept repeating things that were already adequately responded to. I actually can't believe that I had the courtesy to respond to everything in your enormous TLDR posts and you didn't respond to one word in mine.

Also, on an unrelated note, Estu is very smart.

My opinion in the end is that this "policy change" will change very little and people are overreacting, since the guides will probably just adhere to something resembling the old standard and only change really egregious names that they see or are petitioned to them. If the old standard was technically the same as this one as Uthgaard and others have said, then I think some fault lies with whoever wrote the old policy, because it does seem overly strict (names that are anachronistic, or references to real-world media, are probably harmless, but like Nalkin I care really little either way and can't fathom why people like Alawen have shat a brick over this. Also, it's pretty much classic, so I can't complain).

I didn't respond to you because you're simply not interesting. It was clear what bandwagon you were part of with the silly pop culture references of both your guild tag and your forum name. The dialog you wanted to have was extremely obvious. Going through the exercise of that dialog would have been tedious at best.

Do you feel more respected now that I quoted your post and typed some words to you?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 07:35 PM
You got mad that I insisted you change your name to be consistent. I know you take things seriously enough to interpret that as an insult so you get a pass I guess.

I'm still not mad, Starklen. I was sincerely amused that you went after my randomly generated elf name in Google. I could seriously care less if my name was changed to another randomly generated elf name; this is just the one people recognize me by. I don't even particularly like it. People always called me Al or Ala and I think those are both kinda clunky names.

You, on the other hand, were obviously quite pissed off when I called you a mouthbreather. Mouthbreather.

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 07:35 PM
The only reason anyone ever read the official forums was for patch notes. The rest of it was a bunch of trite and obvious crap. Real community discussions happened on private servers, usually on EZ Board, which has no become Yuku or something like that. Real class discussions happened on private sites, i.e. Monkly Business, Safehouse, Steel Warrior and so on.

The fact that the Project 1999 forums are administered and censored by the same individuals who run the server is very much not classic.

Oh wait, you said you read the official forums. Never mind.

Oh good you fit in one more personal attack in there dude, I hear that those are very good ways to support an argument!

My point: in classic EQ there were forums hosted by Sony that held roughly the same purpose as the project1999.org forums

Your point: The forums that most people used for each individual everquest server was hosted independently.

My point: So why not host your own forums for the project1999 community if you feel that strongly about it.

Your point: You said you'd duel a guy and then you didn't! You sold p99 stuff for real money! I don't know what, or when, or to who, but if I say so it must be true!

Starklen
09-17-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm still not mad, Starklen. I was sincerely amused that you went after my randomly generated elf name in Google. I could seriously care less if my name was changed to another randomly generated elf name; this is just the one people recognize me by. I don't even particularly like it. People always called me Al or Ala and I think those are both kinda clunky names.

You, on the other hand, were obviously quite pissed off when I called you a mouthbreather. Mouthbreather.

Hermit.

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Also it's sad how me and alawen always used to get along really well :( You tell a dude that he's acting like Hasbinbad and suddenly he hates you for life :(

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 07:43 PM
"Reasonable" is subjective and it's been stated multiple times that the name is fine by people that actually have the power to make that claim so clearly it doesn't violate it. Do you realize, and this isn't a flame about you, just a statement of fact, that you try and pass off your (often biased or flat out wrong [in the case of the shaman questions thread where you said only Ogre shaman can solo things like Lodizal]) opinions as fact or do you honestly believe that everything you say is the unfiltered truth?

Yes, I actually do realize it. It's called confidence. It is not my job to remind you that I am capable of error. I gave my opinion about shaman races and it was sincere. If you find fault with my strong wording, then you find fault with it.

I actually think you're pretty bright, Bagzan. I don't think you'll be in IB six months from now after you figure out all the unending bullshit in that guild. I didn't start out despising that pile of shit. I was dedicated and loyal. I suspect you will travel a similar path.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Also it's sad how me and alawen always used to get along really well :( You tell a dude that he's acting like Hasbinbad and suddenly he hates you for life :(

I wonder if it has occurred to you that I am not Hasbinbad, that I don't have his radical mood swings and authority issues and that I didn't raise hell within the guild for its own sake. Everything I did or said within that guild was marginalized until I ceased to give a fuck.

Log in some time and do /who all inglo. I guarantee that you will recognize less than one third of the names. Do you think that's because everyone who has left are uncontrollable assholes? Or do you suppose it's because the management treats the membership like entry level McDonald's employees and churns through new members at a similar rate?

You chose to alienate me. I've never had a particular beef with you.

Autotune
09-17-2010, 07:59 PM
I wonder if it has occurred to you that I am not Hasbinbad

Wait, you're not Hasbinbad?

Bagzan
09-17-2010, 07:59 PM
It's one thing to have strong wording, it's another when your wording goes from opinion to a statement of fact when your "fact" isn't really a fact and merely an incorrect opinion.

Believe it or not, but at the end of the day I really don't give a shit one way or another but the fact of the matter is you came out and called out individuals and an organization for something that is within the rules, reasonable based on the people in charge opinions, and overall completely pointless and irrelevant. Then you started off on random tangents that didn't address points and calling people names like you were getting into a fight on the playground in kindergarten; you're a mid 40's year old man who obviously wants to come across as intelligent (based on what and how you type), stop acting like a petulant 7 year old that didn't get his way and now has decided to throw a fit because of it.

Bagzan
09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Log in some time and do /who all inglo. I guarantee that you will recognize less than one third of the names. Do you think that's because everyone who has left are uncontrollable assholes? Or do you suppose it's because the management treats the membership like entry level McDonald's employees and churns through new members at a similar rate?

This is totally an accurate way to judge, because you know, every other guild has had a totally static membership base. You could say the exact same thing about every single other guild on the server, and frankly, on live too.

You're grasping at straws that aren't even there, Alawen. Stop digging for your own sake.

yaaaflow
09-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I wonder if it has occurred to you that I am not Hasbinbad, that I don't have his radical mood swings and authority issues and that I didn't raise hell within the guild for its own sake. Everything I did or said within that guild was marginalized until I ceased to give a fuck.

I actually think it's mostly because classic EQ just doesn't have that much content. I have kept in touch with a few IB dudes who stopped playing around the same time as me, and we are all a) excited to come play again for kunark and b) happy that we will still be valuable, well geared members of IB once we do start playing again.

Classic EQ just doesn't have all that much to offer after a while imo. I've got a few level 50 characters, had undoubtedly the best geared mage on the server until I returned my dragon loot to the guild, killed every single pre-sky raid mob with 3 groups or less. I've got manastones, full sets of rubi, thex daggers, you name it. I "beat" classic EQ a long time ago, and once I beat a game I lose some of my interest in it, like most people do.

Once kunark comes out I fully expect IB to continue to be the dominant raiding force on the server. Can you really blame the people who already beat the game for stopping playing it and waiting for new content?

Also once Hasbinbad and Reiker were both removed from IB I never felt anything remotely like "Or do you suppose it's because the management treats the membership like entry level McDonald's employees" but I don't tend to take shit from video games too seriously so maybe I just wasn't seeing it.

zianlo1
09-17-2010, 08:19 PM
I actually think it's mostly because classic EQ just doesn't have that much content. I have kept in touch with a few IB dudes who stopped playing around the same time as me, and we are all a) excited to come play again for kunark and b) happy that we will still be valuable, well geared members of IB once we do start playing again.

Classic EQ just doesn't have all that much to offer after a while imo. I've got a few level 50 characters, had undoubtedly the best geared mage on the server until I returned my dragon loot to the guild, killed every single pre-sky raid mob with 3 groups or less. I've got manastones, full sets of rubi, thex daggers, you name it. I "beat" classic EQ a long time ago, and once I beat a game I lose some of my interest in it, like most people do.

Once kunark comes out I fully expect IB to continue to be the dominant raiding force on the server. Can you really blame the people who already beat the game for stopping playing it and waiting for new content?

Also once Hasbinbad and Reiker were both removed from IB I never felt anything remotely like "Or do you suppose it's because the management treats the membership like entry level McDonald's employees" but I don't tend to take shit from video games too seriously so maybe I just wasn't seeing it.

Can I have one or two of your manastones and maybe a full set of armor for a rogue? Toss me a pm here, thanks! :D

Lazortag
09-17-2010, 08:27 PM
I didn't respond to you because you're simply not interesting. It was clear what bandwagon you were part of with the silly pop culture references of both your guild tag and your forum name. The dialog you wanted to have was extremely obvious. Going through the exercise of that dialog would have been tedious at best.

Do you feel more respected now that I quoted your post and typed some words to you?

What the fuck? What "bandwagon" am I on? What does my guild name or forum name have to do with any of this? I thought my forum name was just a silly misspelling of a shitty game, but according to you it has some hidden significance. Why is it that me supposedly being on a bandwagon makes it so you don't have to respond to anything I say? Bagzan stated it pretty well:

It's one thing to have strong wording, it's another when your wording goes from opinion to a statement of fact when your "fact" isn't really a fact and merely an incorrect opinion.

Believe it or not, but at the end of the day I really don't give a shit one way or another but the fact of the matter is you came out and called out individuals and an organization for something that is within the rules, reasonable based on the people in charge opinions [sic], and overall completely pointless and irrelevant. Then you started off on random tangents that didn't address points and calling people names ...

This is a 100% accurate description of your involvement in this thread. You go about making massive overly complicated posts qualifying your silly views with words like "clearly", "obviously", etc. to try and pass them off as fact, and when people point out that most of your concerns were entirely irrelevant, you ignore them and just keep repeating yourself. Later you actually tried to tell us that what you were "really trying to say" was that there was an inconsistency in the application of this policy to player names and not guild names, when you actually never, at any point, said anything of that nature.

Holy fucking shit Alawen, are you for real-reals, or just for play-play?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Yes, it's just a coincidence that I used the words "favoritism" and "inequality" in my first post. You've got me all figured out. My real point was... wait, what was it?

I went off on random tangents because there's nothing here to discuss with any of you. The people from IB love to play rules lawyer even though they lose that game to DA almost every time and, of course, they're all thinking OH MY GOD YOU CAN'T CHANGE OUR NAME WE ARE IB!!! The powers that be made it clear that the answer to my concern is "we'll do whatever we please" and I'm quite alright with that. The rule of man works fine until you piss off all the neighborhood kids and you're sitting in your sandbox alone.

Starklen wanted to get personal, so we got personal. He seemed to get upset! None of my early posts were directed at any individual or I would have named the individual(s). Then the post was moved to R&F and got ridiculous, so I got ridiculous back.

I hope at least some people reading this have the perspective to realize how funny it was; I laughed out loud at both some of the things I said and at some of the things you said after the thread was moved.

I wonder if you, Bagzan, can see the irony in your personal attacks on me. I don't communicate the way I do in order to impress you; I communicate this way because this is the way I communicate.

TL;DR Yes, the second half of this thread has been an exercise in immaturity. I'm over myself, are you?

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 09:00 PM
P.S. Yes, dear Hasbinbad, THAT REALLY IS IRONY!

Starklen
09-17-2010, 09:09 PM
You should probably reread the thread. I suggested you change your character name to be consistent. Consistency was what you wanted, not me. I personally don't even much care for our guild name to be honest, I just think you're a bitter old man that is so in love with his own views you can't help but make sure that everyone else knows and agrees with them. I am glad you laughed though. It was entirely intended to be satire before you turned the flame jets on.

Lazortag
09-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes, it's just a coincidence that I used the words "favoritism" and "inequality" in my first post. You've got me all figured out. My real point was... wait, what was it?

I went off on random tangents because there's nothing here to discuss with any of you. The people from IB love to play rules lawyer even though they lose that game to DA almost every time and, of course, they're all thinking OH MY GOD YOU CAN'T CHANGE OUR NAME WE ARE IB!!! The powers that be made it clear that the answer to my concern is "we'll do whatever we please" and I'm quite alright with that. The rule of man works fine until you piss off all the neighborhood kids and you're sitting in your sandbox alone.

You STILL don't get it? It has nothing to do with favoritism. It's not like they are allowing IB or LifeAlert to keep our copyrighted guild tags just because they love us, or out of "discretion". It's because it's actually not against the rules for us to have such names. Their answer to your idiotic concern wasn't that they have the "right" to not change IB's name - it was pretty clearly that the rule in question simply doesn't affect guild names. I've been saying this for the past three posts. How can you act like you're justified in ignoring everything I say as if you can predict where it's going to lead, when you're still at fucking square one?

And stop with the doomsday-prophetic nonsense. It's really just asinine.

Bagzan
09-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Starklen wanted to get personal, so we got personal. He seemed to get upset! None of my early posts were directed at any individual or I would have named the individual(s). Then the post was moved to R&F and got ridiculous, so I got ridiculous back.

"He started it!" Glad to know a man in his mid 40's reverts to 2nd grade on the internet. Mature indeed.

I wonder if you, Bagzan, can see the irony in your personal attacks on me. I don't communicate the way I do in order to impress you; I communicate this way because this is the way I communicate.

I never personally attacked you. I never said you were a petulant child, merely that in this instance, you were acting like one which, while opinion, seems to be pretty accurate given everything that's gone down. The way you came off in this thread, along with some others you have posted in is incredibly self-righteous with a heightened sense of self-importance and an arrogance that even Donald Trump would envy. You state your opinions as fact, even when they are patently wrong, and you have an agenda you're quite clearly trying to push but you try and put on a facade of being somebody that's "been there, done that" and is merely doling out advice to less enlightened journeyers than yourself. Get over yourself.

Lastly, as far as the guild name, I play the game to kill things, what the name of the guild I'm in is, I could care less. It could be <Slappy's Fun Time> or something actually offense like <Poopdick Asspiss> and I honestly wouldn't care one bit as long mobs still died.

Harrison
09-17-2010, 09:33 PM
What this guy said. I would find it awesome if actually enforced, but I doubt it will be...cuz you know, that whole favortism/leaking of contested mob spawn times =P

Newsflash: IB doesn't need leaked spawn times to beat shitbag clowns like DA to spawns.

DA are the talentless hacks who were caught using leaked, hacked, stolen, or otherwise unlawfully gained information to leapfrog guilds to the spawns at the correct times.

Continue with the name-change crusade that I think went on for pages after this guy's comment lol

Bagzan
09-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Can't edit but wanted to say that while you may, in my opinion, be acting like a petulant child now, that I'm not dumb, I know you aren't somebody that does nothing but but stir shit up craving the attention from a response. I'm sure there are plenty of instances where you come across as mature, level-headed, and intelligent. This, however, is not one of those cases.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Isn't that interesting how I say immature and then you say immature and then I say I'm over myself and you say get over yourself?

Have you ever wondered what it's like when a dog is on a chain and he runs to the end of the chain and feels himself yanked backwards?

The really interesting part is that I could have written all of your posts myself last night. I just didn't know who it would be. I thought it would be Starklen, Glith and Gwence. I had no idea you'd come to play, too, Bagzan. I wonder if you realize that your posts are irrelevant. Your precious guild name was never at risk.

Many years ago, I had two cats. One day they were both sitting in the window, watching a humming bird. Their tails and their heads and their ears all moved in unison.

Do you think they have free will? Are free will, randomness and destiny mutually exclusive?

ryuut1
09-17-2010, 10:20 PM
she dont lie
she dont lie
she dont lieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(crowd) COCAINE!

Lazortag
09-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Isn't that interesting how I say immature and then you say immature and then I say I'm over myself and you say get over yourself?

Have you ever wondered what it's like when a dog is on a chain and he runs to the end of the chain and feels himself yanked backwards?

The really interesting part is that I could have written all of your posts myself last night. I just didn't know who it would be. I thought it would be Starklen, Glith and Gwence. I had no idea you'd come to play, too, Bagzan. I wonder if you realize that your posts are irrelevant. Your precious guild name was never at risk.

Many years ago, I had two cats. One day they were both sitting in the window, watching a humming bird. Their tails and their heads and their ears all moved in unison.

Do you think they have free will? Are free will, randomness and destiny mutually exclusive?

Do you know what it's like to read someone's post and want to post nothing other than a short, sweet, simple "stfu"? I've resisted the temptation for every one of your asinine posts in this thread, hoping you would eventually understand what I've been saying to you again and again and which you keep ignoring. How exactly does drafting a policy that affects only player names demonstrate IB favoritism? Do you believe that the devs harbor favoritism towards LifeAlert as well? Obviously they must favor us because they aren't going to change our name.

girth
09-17-2010, 10:36 PM
You're psycho Alawen. What a piece of garbage.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Do you know what it's like to read someone's post and want to post nothing other than a short, sweet, simple "stfu"? I've resisted the temptation for every one of your asinine posts in this thread, hoping you would eventually understand what I've been saying to you again and again and which you keep ignoring. How exactly does drafting a policy that affects only player names demonstrate IB favoritism? Do you believe that the devs harbor favoritism towards LifeAlert as well? Obviously they must favor us because they aren't going to change our name.

It could be that I am incredibly dense and completely incapable of understanding your complex thought process.

On the other hand, you could be the guy who has no idea what's actually going on but thinks that it will be helpful to repeat something about ten times even though no one is paying attention to him.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 10:49 PM
You're psycho Alawen. What a piece of garbage.

That's the spirit, tank who never tanks, puller who never pulls!

Gwence?

New England Patriots
09-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Gwence?

Wow dude u got alot of hate towards IB lol your a little pisst about them booting you out alawen? i remembered u talked all that shit towards me for getting "booted' and now look at you bashing IB more then anyone in the history of IB your a fucking crazy dude you might want to take a step back and re read ur shit and relize how crazy ur sounding right now over a video game lol

by the way i thought you quit? didnt u fly away on a dragon or some nonsense?

girth
09-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Gwence?

Ya man I never tank...you're fucking retarded. I'm only MA like 85% of the raids I make.

Uthgaard
09-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I thought about changing IB's guild name, whoever made that guild seriously didn't know how to spell. Basterds isn't spelled with an e!

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Ya man I never tank...you're fucking retarded. I'm only MA like 85% of the raids I make.

This really makes me feel kind of guilty. I'll try to stop now.

regatta
09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
I thought about changing IB's guild name, whoever made that guild seriously didn't know how to spell. Basterds isn't spelled with an e!

Blame Quentin Tarantino!

Lazortag
09-17-2010, 11:22 PM
It could be that I am incredibly dense and completely incapable of understanding your complex thought process.

On the other hand, you could be the guy who has no idea what's actually going on but thinks that it will be helpful to repeat something about ten times even though no one is paying attention to him.

Yeah I have no idea what's "actually" going on. You have access to some magical secret about the devs and their evil, evil ways that no one else knows about, and throughout this thread you've been transmitting this secret to us in some mysterious code that only a select enlightened few can decipher. It's not that you've been ignoring everything that exposes how flagrantly wrong you are, parroting the same tired mantra again and again about how oppressed we are and how much of a double standard it is that IB's name isn't being changed.

IB's isn't in violation of the naming policy, end of fucking story. Anything you say which disregards this I can only assume is trolling on your part.

Alawen Everywhere
09-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah I have no idea what's "actually" going on. You have access to some magical secret about the devs and their evil, evil ways that no one else knows about, and throughout this thread you've been transmitting this secret to us in some mysterious code that only a select enlightened few can decipher. It's not that you've been ignoring everything that exposes how flagrantly wrong you are, parroting the same tired mantra again and again about how oppressed we are and how much of a double standard it is that IB's name isn't being changed.

IB's isn't in violation of the naming policy, end of fucking story. Anything you say which disregards this I can only assume is trolling on your part.

I'm still not quite clear on what you're trying to say..?

Harrison
09-18-2010, 12:49 AM

I present to you:

The following types of names are considered unacceptable:

* Vile, profane, rude, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, and homonyms of these words.
* Combinations of words that produce an offensive result (e.g. Hugeazz, Tug Mcgroin).
* Names of religious, occult, or significant historic origin (e.g. Jesus, Allah, Satan, Stalin).
* Copyrighted or trademarked names of products, characters, services, or concepts (e.g. Bigmac, Marlboro, Sony).

Notice the bolded portion? Yeah, IB is copyrighted.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/

If you really, honestly, can't see how this doesn't apply...you are fucking retarded. Flat out, pants-on-head fucking derrrrrped.

Alawen Everywhere
09-18-2010, 12:54 AM
omg lol

Fawqueue
09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
I think this argument is attempting to make a point, but it's from a slanted perspective. Yes, many guild names would violate the character naming policy due to being outside the realm of fantasy, or a copyrighted work. However, here's how we fix this issue: If folks that are NOT in IB are being named-changed due to this policy, make sure that folks that ARE in IB are also receiving name changes where applicable. As far as guilds, let them stay what they are and as long as none are forced to change, then IB won't have any kind of "favortism". Ta-da! All will be fair and equal in the lands of project 1999, and we can all get back to arguing about something that matters, like football or religion.

Noselacri
09-18-2010, 01:40 AM
It would be useless to argue that IB isn't in violation with the naming policy. They obviously are, and it's not even as if it's an amusing or clever name to compensate for the fact that they ripped it off one of last year's most popular movies. Whether or not the admins choose to enforce the policy is up to them, though it should be clear to everyone how it'll look if they don't address the most prominent infraction of the policy on the entire server, and especially when it concerns that particular guild. It would look especially strange if they were to actively and aggresively refuse to do it when called out on it.

Aasimon
09-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Hi. It's a character naming policy. I wrote it. Character. Naming. Policy.

I appreciate all the illiterate petulance between pages 2 and 5, however.

Uthgaard
09-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Aaactually, before the first teardrop formed in any of your eyes:

Yesterday, 10:17 AM
So I just thought of something, I hate how I only think of stuff after things are already published!
Since we don't make a profit, we don't have a duty to remove names that are copyright infringements.

Since I'm getting tired of this getting lost in the childish banter, I'm gonna make sure this stays visible. The only thing about the rules that changed was that we're no longer doing them at player request. If you really think there's some conspiracy going on, no one's making you stay!