PDA

View Full Version : Torches and lighting

trailmix
12-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Does anyone else remember this? EQ Classic originally turned the lights off when you entered into the tunnel that leads from Qeynos Hills into Surefall. There were other places that went dark too but I can't recall those exactly, I remember this one because I played a druid in that first year EQ1 came out. Unless you were holding a torch, firebeetle eye or greater lightstone, everything went too dark to see just a few feet into the tunnel and stayed that way until you got close to where the barrel/wall torch is.

That was when I learned about turning up gamma settings in my graphics driver software.

It seems like light sources were more important in the original game than they are now. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I am just wondering if anyone else remembered what a pain it used to be to start a new character and have no light source.

Doil_Boil
12-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Does anyone else remember this? EQ Classic originally turned the lights off when you entered into the tunnel that leads from Qeynos Hills into Surefall. There were other places that went dark too but I can't recall those exactly, I remember this one because I played a druid in that first year EQ1 came out. Unless you were holding a torch, firebeetle eye or greater lightstone, everything went too dark to see just a few feet into the tunnel and stayed that way until you got close to where the barrel/wall torch is.

That was when I learned about turning up gamma settings in my graphics driver software.

It seems like light sources were more important in the original game than they are now. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I am just wondering if anyone else remembered what a pain it used to be to start a new character and have no light source.

The last patch had an intended fix for this, but I will vouch that it did not make the game look very classic. It darkened the gamma but to me also seemed to wash the colors out on the game. It also definitely did not work in the same way the old light settings did in classic.

webrunner5
12-12-2014, 02:34 PM
That patch was a TOTAL FAIL on the lighting thingy as evidenced by several quick patches since. Not EVERY class was blind in there and looked like nighttime even in the daytime.

I am not really sure they can ever get it right with the Titanium Client. :confused:

maahes
12-12-2014, 03:53 PM
That patch was a TOTAL FAIL on the lighting thingy as evidenced by several quick patches since. Not EVERY class was blind in there and looked like nighttime even in the daytime.

I am not really sure they can ever get it right with the Titanium Client. :confused:

Vision had nothing to do with class, however, racial abilities did effect vision. Sure that was typo, just wanted to point it out.

I think the attempt to fix this was a worthy effort. When I first logged into p99 as my human monk all those years back bothered me a great deal I could see at night. Hopfully the dev team has a different idea as many people had huge issues with the patched attempt.

But yeah, who knows if they can get it to work right with the Titanium Client. I would love if they could though! Shit since I care so much and have the means, I should look into this myself.. hmm.

Danth
12-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Note that the Titanium client only brightens things outdoors. Dark indoor dungeons, like Befallen, remain properly dark.

The Titanium client accomplishes its object by adding a sort of ultravision-style effect. If you log on outdoors at night, sometimes you'll notice some seconds of time elapse before the client switches the lights on, so to speak. This is the effect which must be disabled for night time to look correctly dark. Darkening the entire game (including the UI) strikes me as a ham-fisted, non-classic, and pointless attempt to counter this effect.

Danth

maahes
12-12-2014, 04:41 PM
I am able to see just fine in a dungeon with a human character on P99. This is in no way classic. Back in classic I remember logging into a buddies human druid after playing DE's up to this point. I truely believed there was something wrong with my video card (always run TINY UI mods so didn't notice UI was still up, nor did I know better then :)), I proceeded to call him and he informed me I needed to use a vision spell. Boom lights came on. So I have a very hard time believing the comments about Titanium client only effecting outdoor zones. Never once have I needed to use a vision spell on P99. Heck I even remember asking for vision spells on my DE characters back in live, because it even helped DE vision then.

Dunes
12-12-2014, 04:48 PM
I could be completely off base here, but could something be done about the lighting through ENB? I only know enough to be dangerous, but when I have tried it out on several older games over the years it has worked wonders for ambiance. The difference is even more dramatic on newer games (Skyrim, etc), but even if it can be used to make sources of lighting more dynamic, that would be fantastic.

I think ENB is client-side though, so it may not be something that can be implemented server-wide. Maybe someone that knows more about how it works and what can and cannot be done could chime in on it.

Danth
12-12-2014, 05:10 PM
For the sake of comparison, I'll post screenshots of what Befallen looked like on my PC when I had a light source equipped and when I didn't. The "didn't" picture obviously displays the lack of Titanium's ultravision-style light effect in this indoor dungeon. These are old shots from shortly after P1999 opened so the recent lighting tweaks are not relevant to them.

kuuky
12-12-2014, 07:55 PM

One of my first characters on EQ was a human druid and I got lost in this tunnel because I couldn't see. I must of zoned back and forth 5 times. Then I bought that useless druid summon light spell LOL. Good times back then.

Doil_Boil
12-12-2014, 09:24 PM
It made the game so much scarier to be wandering around not able to see very far and feeling like you were likely to run into anything.

iruinedyourday
12-12-2014, 09:36 PM

hey respect the work that H put into it dude. it wasnt a total fail he just doesnt have a team of people to test every video card that everyone in the world uses.

respect

Doil_Boil
12-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Anything that was learned from is never a failure.