PDA

View Full Version : I am an unrepentent idiot...but I'd like to play here again

jawgoat
09-26-2014, 08:41 PM
I don't care if I look like a noob...I just don't care anymore. I used to play on this server as I had a friend that set it up for me. Well, computers being fickle as they are...it died...as did my p99 experience. I lost track of my friend that originally set it up and I simply cannot figure it out. Is there any option between $85 on Amazon and unlimited spyware on "the bay" to play here? Even if I could choke past the viruses I couldn't figure out the install from the "free" download site (I know because I tried and ruined a computer in the process). I would like to resume my adventures here but because I am an ignorant tool, I cannot figure it out. I mean...I just can't...and Tunare knows I have tried. I'm on a clean computer that I'd just as soon stay that way. If the popular free option is the only way other than the costly proprietary way, just tell me so I can move on...but if maybe another way exists (that's idiot-proof and not a hundred f-ing dollars) please enlighten me. Any advise or insults would be welcome.

Even if I cannot make it back on, my thanks to to all who made my previous visits possible...its wonderful work you've done here.

Trelaboon
09-27-2014, 12:26 PM
I don't personally know of any other way to get on, if you can't afford the discs, perhaps someone you know from years past has the you could borrow?

lostclover
09-27-2014, 01:06 PM
When you are on the bay... make sure to click the "get this t**rent" green link, and not the big download buttons. Dont click the download buttons! :)

Also, accept private messages here and people will be able to help you out.

Crawdad
09-27-2014, 05:10 PM
When you are on the bay... make sure to click the "get this t**rent" green link, and not the big download buttons. Dont click the download buttons! :)

Also, accept private messages here and people will be able to help you out.

This is good advice for any website really. Tons of trojans/adware to be had on the ubiquitous "Download Now!" buttons.

Just make sure you get the correct file (I believe its 3.7gigs), install using DaemonTools and you shouldn't have any issues. I've downloaded/installed 3 times on my computer and on two friends' without a problem.

Derubael
09-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Once you've acquired the correct (virus-free) download (someone usually will try to help guide you to the correct one... all I can say is to grab the one with the most seeds on a search for "Everquest Titanium") there is a handy, "idiot-proof" installation guide on how to install EQ from an ISO, found here:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Everquest_Titanium_Installation_Guide

Once you have it installed, there is a handy, step-by-step "idiot-proof" setup guide for the p99 files and launching the game found here:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

This was recently updated and much easier to follow than the previous guide.

jawgoat
09-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Thank for the advise but I guess I didn't properly impart the "I'm an idiot" part. Install with Daemon tools? May as well ask me to install in Mandarin Chinese :P Thanks for trying. Once on a game I'm OK but to be sure, the intrawebz > me.

Hyperbase-1999
09-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Damon tools will allow you to mount the .Iso image as a virtual DVD drive.

Alternatively you can use 7zip (Or equivalent zip software) to extract the. Iso to a folder.

Personally if this is a once off thing I would not bother with D-tools and just extract the Iso to a folder and run the Install from there, when you are all set (append "patch me" to the eqgame.exe shortcut target path) delete the extracted folder leaving the I so as backup media.

If you have not obtained the .iso file yet then I would recommend a pop-up blocker of your choice alongside a torrent program (uTorrent) and remember to use the magnet links from your chosen torrent site.

Mistle
09-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Pretty sure 90% of what you just said he has no idea what you mean. Sadly I don't think he wants to even make the effort to learn what you mean either. Some people are proud of being unable to grasp computers.

NegaStoat
09-29-2014, 12:59 AM
find and download Utorrent or a similar client program. Install it.
web search for Everquest Titanium for a torrent. P Bay's okay, just remember to click on the red Magnet icon link instead of anything else.
Open the downloaded folder and you will find a Daemontools installer and 5 CD file folders. Click on the Daemontools icon to install that program, and you will be prompted to restart your computer at the end.
You will now have a red Daemontools icon listed in your My Computer as well as down on your lower screen task bar. Right click on either one and select the Mount Image menu option. From here, select the contents of the CD 1 folder to be mounted.
The Everquest Installation process should begin. When you are prompted to "insert disk #", move your mouse back down to your task bar and right click on the daemontools icon, and mount image to disk. Select the CD folder contents as the next thing to be mounted from the appropriate folder number (so it matches the disk).
Press on the "Okay" selection from the Everquest installation pop up so that the procedure keeps going. Continue to mount new images with each prompt.
Once you are finished, you can uninstall daemontools and/or Utorrent as you won't need either one from here out.

Head over to the Home page for P1999 and select the red lettering 'getting started' section, and pay close attention to each step. Have fun.

Kich867
09-29-2014, 01:08 AM
Thank for the advise but I guess I didn't properly impart the "I'm an idiot" part. Install with Daemon tools? May as well ask me to install in Mandarin Chinese :P Thanks for trying. Once on a game I'm OK but to be sure, the intrawebz > me.

C'mon man =P... it's 2014. By now you should know to just google and unknown phrase or keywords.

Google UTorrent, google Daemon Tools, google pirate bay, google "how to download a torrent".

And for even more knowledge start googling unknown phrases or keywords in conjunction with the thing they relate to: you'll see words like "Seeders" and "leechers" on "torrent" websites. So google "torrent seeders" and "torrent leechers" until you're familiar with them.

The internet contains just about all of the information you could ever need to learn how to do anything you'd ever want to do, don't be afraid of it!

Hogfather
09-29-2014, 02:32 AM
If you're in Windows 8 you can just right click and mount ISOs as DVD drives, no need for daemon tools etc. Windows 7 too ... I think?

Derubael
09-29-2014, 04:39 AM

The links I provided have clear, step by step instructions with full color pictures written by a professional technical manual writer on how to install from an ISO.

It even has instructions on how to install Daemon tools. All you have to do is download daemon tools lite from the publishers website.

You literally don't have to have any working knowledge of anything except how to use your mouse and turn on your computer.

Arkaan
09-29-2014, 10:28 AM
If you're in Windows 8 you can just right click and mount ISOs as DVD drives, no need for daemon tools etc. Windows 7 too ... I think?

That feature started with Windows 8. Software like DT or Alcohol is still better. Well, depending on what you want to do.. a quick mount and install for a standard iso? Yes it works great.

NewbieEQ
09-29-2014, 11:42 AM
This thread was helpful. I sailed the seven seas of the internet like a pirate with my parrot Bay and came across loot I've never seen before. I think one of the sailors Utorr said it was titanium in one of the chests. I don't know what he was talking about though. Bloody drunk sailors.