PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Vs. Warrior

beev
09-23-2014, 06:07 PM
So I'm planning on rolling an alt soon and was wondering if anyone experienced both of these classes? I like the idea of being an ubreakable wall of badassery in a warrior but I'm wondering if the Rogue has a bit more utility or fun.

It seems like all warriors are good for is taking damage but rogues there may be ways to sneak through some dungeons to camp specific spawns and what not.

What would you recommend? My main is a druid so I'm looking to play the other end of the spectrum.

Kender
09-23-2014, 09:53 PM
rogues don't make great item campers, if you're wanting a melee dps that can do some item camping, monk is a better option

basically you'll need to decide if you want to tank or do damage

Estu
09-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Both classes are very one-dimensional. The only* thing a warrior is good for is tanking (and they're not very good at that in many situations, since they can't hold aggro worth a damn). The only** thing a rogue is good for is DPSing. If you're looking for versatile, interesting-to-play classes, you're choosing between the wrong ones. That being said, warriors and rogues can be fun to play; just be aware what you're getting yourself into.

To me, the appeal of a rogue is that it's the best*** DPS class in the game. You can melt down enemies as long as you have a tank and a healer with you, or if you're duoing with someone who can fear/aggro kite with you. And you don't really have to worry about taking damage, because your evade ability lets you drop aggro really well. You'll take a few hits once in a while but generally speaking you'll be one of the last people to die if shit goes south. Go halfling rogue and you carry around a tiny EXP bonus to boot. People will love to have you in their groups (halfling or not).

The appeal of a warrior is that you're the only viable tank on a lot of raid encounters (because of disciplines), and you are the best class at soaking up damage in general (because of best STA->HP returns and best defensive skills... and disciplines). It's also more interesting to gear warriors than to gear rogues, because you have to balance a bunch of different stats that are important (HP, STA, DEX, to some extent STR, AC, resists). But again, your aggro-holding ability is awful. Even when you're well-geared, you'll have trouble holding aggro in many situations. So the class is kind of annoying IMO.

Personally I'd go rogue over warrior.

*They can also do OK DPS if berserking, but it can be tough to manage that.
**OK, so rogues can pick locks (this is useful but in very niche situations), and they can pull with sneak + bow (but they can't feign death or lull, so other pulling classes overshadow them).
***Well, wizards are sometimes better at DPSing raid bosses, but even this is not always true.

capco
09-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Both classes are very one-dimensional. The only* thing a warrior is good for is tanking (and they're not very good at that in many situations, since they can't hold aggro worth a damn). The only** thing a rogue is good for is DPSing. If you're looking for versatile, interesting-to-play classes, you're choosing between the wrong ones. That being said, warriors and rogues can be fun to play; just be aware what you're getting yourself into.

To me, the appeal of a rogue is that it's the best*** DPS class in the game. You can melt down enemies as long as you have a tank and a healer with you, or if you're duoing with someone who can fear/aggro kite with you. And you don't really have to worry about taking damage, because your evade ability lets you drop aggro really well. You'll take a few hits once in a while but generally speaking you'll be one of the last people to die if shit goes south. Go halfling rogue and you carry around a tiny EXP bonus to boot. People will love to have you in their groups (halfling or not).

The appeal of a warrior is that you're the only viable tank on a lot of raid encounters (because of disciplines), and you are the best class at soaking up damage in general (because of best STA->HP returns and best defensive skills... and disciplines). It's also more interesting to gear warriors than to gear rogues, because you have to balance a bunch of different stats that are important (HP, STA, DEX, to some extent STR, AC, resists). But again, your aggro-holding ability is awful. Even when you're well-geared, you'll have trouble holding aggro in many situations. So the class is kind of annoying IMO.

Personally I'd go rogue over warrior.

*They can also do OK DPS if berserking, but it can be tough to manage that.
**OK, so rogues can pick locks (this is useful but in very niche situations), and they can pull with sneak + bow (but they can't feign death or lull, so other pulling classes overshadow them).
***Well, wizards are sometimes better at DPSing raid bosses, but even this is not always true.

Whirled
09-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Warrior can be fun; but as Estu pointed out very well the versatility of the rogue will keep you entertained earlier on as compared to waiting till 52+ to get good Warrior buttons to press. Another possibility is if you're into damage dealing would be to go wizard (if you don't mind afk med times.)

beev
09-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Thank you all for the feedback! Sounds like rogue may be more my style. Plus I can gear out my rogue better than I can with a warrior due to trade skills on my druid. This way I won't have to pay through the nose.