PDA

View Full Version : Donation vs payment

Dezante
05-30-2014, 11:12 AM
A good deal of the player population seems to not know the definition of a donation.

Example: "Porting to <insert various zones> for donation!"

If you, for your service, demand payment, it by definition ceases to be a donation, which is a freely given gift, and becomes just that, payment.

Learn the difference.

Argh
05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
If you could just find someone porting for commas you'd be fucking golden.

Rellapse40
05-30-2014, 11:16 AM
hhaha

Haynar
05-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Porting for bitcoins?

Bardalicious
05-30-2014, 11:18 AM

LOL!

Really though, why does it bother you that much? The implication of donation in said messages usually indicates that the porter doesn't demand a set price for the service.

P.S. one of these threads pops up every 3 months or so.

Bardalicious
05-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Porting for bitcoins?

I haven't been to mtgox lately. What's the current exchange rate for platinum pieces to bitcoins? :confused:

Dezante
05-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Really though, why does it bother you that much? The implication of donation in said messages usually indicates that the porter doesn't demand a set price for the service.

It does? To me it sounds like they'll only perform their service for payment. I can only guess as to why they call it a 'donation' - maybe they want to create the illusion that your payment is a voluntary gift, and not a deal breaker if not forthcoming, so they can appear altruistic.

Why do I smell Catholic Church...?

P.S. one of these threads pops up every 3 months or so.

Not surprising.

Imslap
05-30-2014, 11:46 AM
It does? To me it sounds like they'll only perform their service for payment. I can only guess as to why they call it a 'donation' - maybe they want to create the illusion that your payment is a voluntary gift, and not a deal breaker if not forthcoming, so they can appear altruistic.

Not surprising.

Just "Donate" in copper. Like hundreds of copper at a time. Make them waste their time going to the bank.

Erati
05-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I wont port you for less than 50 plat

if you give me less, you prob wont get ported a second time

moklianne
05-30-2014, 11:48 AM
OP must be a real new player. Look everyone! Someone new!

Bardalicious
05-30-2014, 11:56 AM
The misconception that you seem to have is that you're entitled to the services of other players. Let's face it: Porting for Plat vs. Porting for Donation messages isn't what's really bugging you here.

My advice? Take the boats and/or run from point A to point B enough times to realize that "donation" is usually worth it, no matter how the porter chooses to word it.

Dezante
05-30-2014, 12:02 PM
I wont port you for less than 50 plat

if you give me less, you prob wont get ported a second time

The misconception that you seem to have is that you're entitled to the services of other players. Let's face it: Porting for Plat vs. Porting for Donation messages isn't what's really bugging you here.

My advice? Take the boats and/or run from point A to point B enough times to realize that "donation" is usually worth it, no matter how the porter chooses to word it.

You both miss the point entirely. I've absolutely no objections to paying for services. What I'm addressing here is the wrong use of the term 'donation'. If you demand payment, call it payment - if you gladly perform your service for free, I greatly appreciate it and might donate some coins.

Bardalicious
05-30-2014, 12:06 PM
My next bit of advice?

Post a thread in RNF about how you demand every porter in the game conform to your standards of advertisement. Then make sure you let me know how you impacted the server after.

There's also the option of, ya know, advertising YOURSELF that you're seeking a free port. But then, I'm going to guess based off of the entitled attitude you display here, that you wouldn't get what you wanted fast enough that way.

Orruar
05-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Forumquest win

Whirled
05-30-2014, 12:15 PM
http://i1.wp.com/www.theminorityreportblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/McDummy.jpg?resize=500%2C375

Orruar
05-30-2014, 12:17 PM
If you spend this much time and effort into correcting people for incorrect verbiage, you must not have much time for anything else.

Daldaen
05-30-2014, 12:29 PM
I like when I tell people I'll pay for a port. We land and I /split 100, giving them 50 play, say thanks and disband... Then they send me a tell going "wtf where's my moneys". Learn2read noobs. I don't have time to waste waiting on you to hit accept trade button.

r00t
05-30-2014, 12:29 PM
I haven't been to mtgox lately. What's the current exchange rate for platinum pieces to bitcoins? :confused:

mtgox got "hacked" for millions of dollars a couple months ago and is no longer functional. It was just another nail in the coffin for fake scammy internet currrency

isiah
05-30-2014, 12:40 PM

r00t
05-30-2014, 12:43 PM
After watching Shanna port on her druid and the measly scraps yall donate, if that is acceptable then I found out I have tipped too damn high these past 15 years

Dirtynads
05-30-2014, 12:43 PM
As for myself running <Dial-A-Port> I generally encourage all our members not use use the word "Donation" as we are a pay for port service. Those who do use it give up the right to bitch if someone stiffs them for a ride. With that being said we also don't charge a set amount for a ride either and leave it up to the portee to decide the amount given and for the most part the majority of the player base is very kind in what they give.

I think that most players follow a porting etiquette and make it more then worth while to offer any kind of porting service, with that being said there are those who don't and give amounts that are basically a slap in the face. When this situation happens to me I will still port the individual but then add them to my ignore list and not do so again as will many of my members.

Supremacydru <Dial-A-Port> GL

Dezante
05-30-2014, 12:48 PM
As for myself running <Dial-A-Port> I generally encourage all our members not use use the word "Donation" as we are a pay for port service.

Thank you, someone who understands what I'm advocating.

Dezante
05-30-2014, 01:04 PM
they still take donations you dumbass he just said the members cant bitch about being fucked over by dumbasses

His guild members take payments, and if one of the members mistakenly ask for a donation and doesn't receive any pay for porting then it's their own fault for using the term 'donation' - this is what he said.

But that is not about what I posted, and it seems a number of the people responding here still don't know what this thread is about, so I'll boil it down to this:

By definition, the term 'donation' no longer applies when it is demanded.

Aviann
05-30-2014, 01:09 PM
I try to go at least 50pp minimum. Goes higher the quicker I get a response, the nicer they are, and if they are not a wood elf.

Glenzig
05-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Why does this aggravate you so much man? You're really not going to give someone money for a port just because they aren't demanding.a certain amount? Of course they want plat. Otherwise they would just say, "porting to anywhere for free."

Ahldagor
05-30-2014, 01:15 PM
this is rant worthy? why is this allowed? mein volk, mochtest besser?

r00t
05-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Is it really doing volunteer work when a judge makes it mandatory?

Dezante
05-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Why does this aggravate you so much man? You're really not going to give someone money for a port just because they aren't demanding.a certain amount? Of course they want plat. Otherwise they would just say, "porting to anywhere for free."

I see I'm still not understood despite having clarified before in this thread. Allow me to reiterate:

I am not against paying for being ported, quite the contrary, I pay, and I pay gladly.

This thread is about definition. Read through the thread, and it should be clear.

Glenzig
05-30-2014, 01:26 PM
I see I'm still not understood despite having clarified before in this thread. Allow me to reiterate:

I am not against paying for being ported, quite the contrary, I pay, and I pay gladly.

This thread is about definition. Read through the thread, and it should be clear.

Oh you're just being an overly sensitive hyper grammarian. Ok. Waste of a post then.

Cecily
05-30-2014, 01:27 PM
ped·ant noun \ˈpe-dənt\
: a person who annoys other people by correcting small errors and giving too much attention to minor details

Tecmos Deception
05-30-2014, 01:30 PM

Not surprising.

You're right, Dezante. This is the first time in human history that a phrase has taken on a meaning that isn't precisely what the dictionary says. This is truly an outrage.

Ahldagor
05-30-2014, 01:44 PM
ped·ant noun \ˈpe-dənt\
: a person who annoys other people by correcting small errors and giving too much attention to minor details

[img]http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/23/17/b3e61d8ed0c9576c7c27dd8ab627518e.gif/img]

Ahldagor
05-30-2014, 01:44 PM
http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/23/17/b3e61d8ed0c9576c7c27dd8ab627518e.gif

Draxx
05-30-2014, 01:52 PM
You're right, Dezante. This is the first time in human history that a phrase has taken on a meaning that isn't precisely what the dictionary says. This is truly an outrage.

^This.

It's the polite way to say pay me for the time I'm taking to save you some time.

Welcome to life. You have to read in-between the lines in everyday life all the time. Same with social interactions online...

Dezante
05-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Oh you're just being an overly sensitive hyper grammarian. Ok. Waste of a post then.

No, it's about definition, not grammar.

That aside, I see that this thread has generated quite a load of animosity, which is not surprising. Ridicule and crass claims is the standard retort by fools, markedly when they realize their folly.

Language will continue being butchered, I had no illusions this thread would change any of that, rest assured.

Lictor
05-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Having leveled a Druid to 39 for the sole purpose of being a port bitch while auctioning off stuff in EC, I find it absolutely retarded to pay anything over 20p for a port.

Click one button, load, click a second button to gate back to EC. Trying to sell others on the idea you are a 'service' provider or a small business owner that demands time/money/respect is ridiculous.

Gaffin 7.0
05-30-2014, 02:13 PM
http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/23/17/b3e61d8ed0c9576c7c27dd8ab627518e.gif

aww yiss good ol street fighter

Ahldagor
05-30-2014, 02:13 PM

That aside, I see that this thread has generated quite a load of animosity, which is not surprising. Ridicule and crass claims is the standard retort by fools, markedly when they realize their folly.

Language will continue being butchered, I had no illusions this thread would change any of that, rest assured.

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vg/image/1337/36/1337367268203.jpg

Glenzig
05-30-2014, 02:36 PM

You're cool. Can you be my dad?

Sirken
05-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Porting for bitcoins?

confirmed RMT

cs616
05-30-2014, 02:51 PM
You're being pedantic, which is an annoying trait that no one likes. On top of that, you aren't even correct. You're using the narrowest definition of "donation" to bitch about something trivial. You know what they mean, so shut up.

do·na·tion [doh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
a gift, as to a fund; contribution.
Origin:
1375–1425, for an earlier sense; late Middle English < Latin dōnātiōn- (stem of dōnātiō ), equivalent to dōnāt ( us ), past participle of dōnāre to give ( dōn-, stem of dōnum gift, + -ātus -ate1 ) + -iōn- -ion

Related forms
pre·do·na·tion, noun
self-do·na·tion, noun
su·per·do·na·tion, noun

Synonyms
2. offering, benefaction, gratuity. See present2 .

Notice the terms "contribution" and synonym "gratuity". A gratuity (commonly referred to as a "tip") is exactly what they are asking for when they use the word "donation". If you go to a restaurant and have a meal, you are 100% not required to leave a tip even if the service was excellent. Just because you are not required to tip (just as you're not required to donate for a port), you're still an asshole if you don't.

Being pedantic is annoying. Being pedantic and incorrect about it is even worse. Unless of course you think every single person who uses the word "gratuity" to describe tipping at restaurants is also wrong.

Ahldagor
05-30-2014, 02:56 PM
You're being pedantic, which is an annoying trait that no one likes. On top of that, you aren't even correct. You're using the narrowest definition of "donation" to bitch about something trivial. You know what they mean, so shut up.

Notice the terms "contribution" and synonym "gratuity". A gratuity (commonly referred to as a "tip") is exactly what they are asking for when they use the word "donation". If you go to a restaurant and have a meal, you are 100% not required to leave a tip even if the service was excellent. Just because you are not required to tip (just as you're not required to donate for a port), you're still an asshole if you don't.

Being pedantic is annoying. Being pedantic and incorrect about it is even worse. Unless of course you think every single person who uses the word "gratuity" to describe tipping at restaurants is also wrong.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/207/253/1322244389559.png

Orruar
05-30-2014, 04:40 PM
mtgox got "hacked" for millions of dollars a couple months ago and is no longer functional. It was just another nail in the coffin for fake scammy internet currrency

Kind of like when you claimed bitcoin was about to crash and burn back in September 2013. You know, when it was $100 and now it's been holding steady around the 400-600 mark for months? You would think you would have learned your lesson and would stop trying to claim it's about to die a glorious death. I'll be sure to bump this thread in another 9 months when you're still wrong.

Gadwen
05-30-2014, 05:06 PM
If I am porting, I always advertise that I'm selling ports.

But we all know that when people say porting for donations they are trying to politely say they are selling ports. It's classic.

Champion_Standing
05-30-2014, 05:10 PM

Fuckin a, you should have been around for the sow vs sow argument. You would have loved that shit.

Orruar
05-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Having leveled a Druid to 39 for the sole purpose of being a port bitch while auctioning off stuff in EC, I find it absolutely retarded to pay anything over 20p for a port.

Click one button, load, click a second button to gate back to EC. Trying to sell others on the idea you are a 'service' provider or a small business owner that demands time/money/respect is ridiculous.

It's nice that you have determined the proper maximum price for ports in all situations. If only the Soviets had you in charge of their economy, they might have avoided the economic collapse of the 80s.

Scrubosaur
05-30-2014, 05:50 PM

r,o,f,l

Draxx
05-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Fuckin a, you should have been around for the sow vs sow argument. You would have loved that shit.

I don't care what anyone says about sow I will always pronounce it like "soh" like sowing a crop as opposed to some people I know that pronounce it "sou" as in a female pig.

r00t
05-30-2014, 05:59 PM
soh is the correct way to say it

captnamazing
05-30-2014, 06:02 PM

Great jerb, man. As someone else said, the 'donations' request is an EQ cultural thing. Accept the fact that people hope to get contributions for spending their time and mana (more time) moving your ass from place to place.

Dumb thread. Porters will keep porting, and if you aren't a scumbag, you will tip them a fair amount. 1pp per level is a good rate, unless youre high level then you best be dropping 50pp

Thulack
05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Porting for bitcoins?

RMT right there :P

captnamazing
05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
it's sow like squeal like a piggy

jarshale
05-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Paying .001 bitcoins for a port pst

Champion_Standing
05-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Sow like a pig = noun Sow like to plant = verb

Spirit of wolf is a noun, which leads us to the correct conclusion that saying sow as in a pig is the proper way to say it.

You can tell the difference between those who say it properly and those who don't, because the people who don't say things like "would you sow me plz?" instead of "can i get a sow"? You shouldn't use an acronym in a manner that doesn't make sense when you say the entire name "would you spirit of wolf me plz" sounds fucking retarded, so stop saying it and L2SoW.

Glenzig
05-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Actually it depends on the usage. If you're saying that you currently have sow as a buff then it would be a noun. But if you're asking for the buff it would be a verb.
Example: "this corpse run won't take as long since I have a sow."=Noun.
"excuse me could you please sow me for a corpse run."=Verb.

What we must do is come to a consensus as to whether or not it should be pronounced the same either way. Or if you should have separate pronunciations for each case.
Discuss.

Champion_Standing
05-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Actually it depends on the usage. If you're saying that you currently have sow as a buff then it would be a noun. But if you're asking for the buff it would be a verb.
Example: "this corpse run won't take as long since I have a sow."=Noun.
"excuse me could you please sow me for a corpse run."=Verb.

What we must do is come to a consensus as to whether or not it should be pronounced the same either way. Or if you should have separate pronunciations for each case.
Discuss.

Spirit of wolf is not a verb. You can pretend it is and use it like one, but that doesn't make it one.

Sororf
05-31-2014, 11:24 AM
soh is the correct way to say it

Youlath
05-31-2014, 11:38 AM
kind of like how "donation" to the server is more like "payment" for immunity to rmt/training bans

Champion_Standing
05-31-2014, 11:38 AM
kind of like how "donation" to the server is more like "payment" for immunity to rmt/training bans

lol'd

justin2090
05-31-2014, 12:39 PM

rofl

Glenzig
05-31-2014, 01:23 PM
Spirit of wolf is not a verb. You can pretend it is and use it like one, but that doesn't make it one.

It is if you use it in the tense of.a verb as I pointed out.
"sow me bro."=Verb because you're using it to express an action.

Dragonsblood1987
06-01-2014, 01:06 AM

Arclyte
06-01-2014, 08:10 AM
op is a fucking faggot shut up forever

Skywarp
06-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Stfu dick tamer. I forgot to tell you that before in that other thread.

Oh ya. Donate for rides and don't be a dick tamer like Autotune.