PDA

View Full Version : Red Server Pains

Goobles
03-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Recently, the population has been declining. This worries me because of my recent efforts to breathe life into the server by adding new players. Red has finally reached a good balance between two top-tier guilds, and now its population seems to be dwindling again (refer to end of Holocaust days).

Here are some underlying causes to why I think the server is beginning to fail:

The exp rate is horrid. With scarce groups, and twink griefer newbs running rampant, people are discouraged from playing here.

Reputation as a toxic community, and global ooc. Everyone's incessant nagging is a deterrent to a lot of people.

Bug fixes Unrest is bugged to hell, and virtually unplayable unless you have a level 60 to pull for you.

Simulated Repops These need to be re-implemented (if they were taken out). Each day past the 1st has a higher chance to repop to encourage people to keep timers, AND be on the ready for timed repops as normal. An example of how this could be done is: Mobs repop on Sunday. Each day after has a chance to randomly repop, or timers will be kept as normal until it finally repops. (Monday 7%, Tuesday 14%, Wednesday 21%, Thursday 28%, Friday 35%, Saturday 42%, so on.)

I've had lots of fun playing on Red99, and I would hope that the GMs appreciate us as much as we appreciate them. I would like more people to play here, more pvp, more guilds, more competition, etc.

If you have any ideas, please share. This is not a flame or troll thread, so please don't treat is as such. Thanks.

Tradesonred
03-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Heres an idea, put xp back to where it was and let the pop do all the work for ya, who will recruit new blood on other forums in preparation for Velious, just because theyd love to see red grow. We will be hitting 250+ in no time.

But heres my problem, i dont think were getting it straight. Deru said things were coming "very soon" well see how that goes. I think theyre crippling the pop on purpose, they have every feedback they need to understand what would populate the server and they keep nerfing the pop each time it gets close to regular 200.

Sorry for "trolling" but at this point they dont really need more ideas, they just need to implement some of the easy tweaks thats been suggested.

Faerie
03-25-2014, 09:09 PM
What's wrong with Unrest? I leveled like all my characters there and it seemed fine.

Squire
03-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Recently, the population has been declining. This worries me because of my recent efforts to breathe life into the server by adding new players. Red has finally reached a good balance between two top-tier guilds, and now its population seems to be dwindling again (refer to end of Holocaust days).

Here are some underlying causes to why I think the server is beginning to fail:

The exp rate is horrid. With scarce groups, and twink griefer newbs running rampant, people are discouraged from playing here.

Reputation as a toxic community, and global ooc. Everyone's incessant nagging is a deterrent to a lot of people.

Bug fixes Unrest is bugged to hell, and virtually unplayable unless you have a level 60 to pull for you.

I've had lots of fun playing on Red99, and I would hope that the GMs appreciate us as much as we appreciate them. I would like more people to play here, more pvp, more guilds, more competition, etc.

If you have any ideas, please share. This is not a flame or troll thread, so please don't treat is as such. Thanks.

Group Bonus: 6 Man Group = The previous individual EXP bonus.

Staggered Week-long Variance = It rewards neckbeards but also creates more mobile people, scouting parties, and small scale PvP.

Remove the hybrid EXP penelty = It gets removed in Velious, but alot of people want to play SKs, Rangers, and Bards, rip that shit out.

Bring back Guises for a limited time only as a promotional event. You're welcome, Chewie.

Create a PvP token/symbol/reward system to supplement coin loot, which many find boring.

In game leaderboard.

+/- 4 PvP range

Have global OOC display your location.

Start banning people like Rellapse and Hateraid on the forums. Aside from obvious trolls, the community isn't all that much worse than blue's, just a few days ago people were prasing staff when we thought exp was turned back on. Morale was high and personalities were positive.

Go forth with teams server or a new ffa box and just merge Red into Blue. I only say this because a wipe is not possible.

Faerie
03-25-2014, 09:23 PM
When Velious is released, turn beta server into a new blue server that follows an accelerated timeline. When it catches up to where red is, merge the two into pvp.

Goobles
03-25-2014, 09:25 PM
Terrible idea Faerie, people will stack items onto a character, /copy

Sorry.

Squire
03-25-2014, 09:27 PM
When Velious is released, turn beta server into a new blue server that follows an accelerated timeline. When it catches up to where red is, merge the two into pvp.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/Y23R/da-fuq/image.png

Fame
03-25-2014, 09:28 PM

Faerie
03-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Grant blue characters silly rewards that don't break game for red achievements. Get a level 30 on red, earn an illusion potion on blue. Level 50 gets a title.

Etc.

Telron
03-25-2014, 09:35 PM

Radical idea. = )

LulzSect
03-25-2014, 09:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mrsNdfj.jpg

Faerie
03-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Force a very strict raid rotation on blue that doesn't allow for "blue competitiveness". Offer naked transfers to red.

Squire
03-25-2014, 09:45 PM
your heart is in the right place but just stop lol

Faerie
03-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Guys never heard of brainstorming? :/

C'mon, no bad ideas at this stage.

Neea
03-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Just the zone ? Or /loc toooooo ?

Faerie
03-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Promotional events where a small number of people get to create "nonclassic" characters (gnome SKs, etc.).

GM events that encourage low level groups and friendly cooperation, punish pvp.

Faerie
03-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Forced roleplay. Anyone caught out of character permabanned ;)

Faerie
03-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Oooh allow beastlord creation on red. Okay I'll stop for now.

rollin5k
03-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Like that idea ooc reveal zone

dethbringre
03-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Yeah I think OOC revealing location would cut down on the shit talking pretty good

mtb tripper
03-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Keep classic xp, remove global ooc, add full group xp bonus like squire said.

dethbringre
03-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Keep classic xp, remove global ooc, add full group xp bonus like squire said.

I'd vote for this. Usually the simplest plan works best

Squire
03-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Make Faerie (or someone else, following a through vetting process) whatever the EQ equivalent of a "Seer" was in Ultima Online.

Seers were staff who had like no fucking power, but could create and run small RP events, quests etc. Aim this specifically at the low level population.

Faerie would probably squirt (regardless of gender or genitalia) at the prospect of this, has terrible mechanics ideas, but would likely run a great small event in Runnyeye for lowbie halflings or something.

Drakaris
03-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Ooc showing loc is awesome. Ooc at your own risk, smack talk and get hunted down.

Bamz4l
03-25-2014, 10:58 PM
wipe would be best

Vile
03-25-2014, 11:01 PM

I like this..

Faerie
03-25-2014, 11:09 PM
One small thing that would surely help is classic-style nerfing of terrible character names like Fecal Matter and Bowjobs. GMs really need to get on that imo.

Best solution is honestly to just merge blue into red, with 4+/- range and pnp heavily enforced.

Imago
03-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Best solution is honestly to just merge blue into red, with 4+/- range and pnp heavily enforced.

This would not work. Blue players did not sign up for PvP. They would be very vocal about this.

Gonna have a bad time.

BigHurb
03-25-2014, 11:35 PM
no it would be great... because people would be geared to put up defense, and not have to get slaughtered to oblivion by geared twinks.

the game would be spectacular with large scale pvp... and conversely is shit with small scale cheating scumbags shitting where they live

Squire
03-25-2014, 11:37 PM
One small thing that would surely help is classic-style nerfing of terrible character names like Fecal Matter and Bowjobs. GMs really need to get on that imo.

When I logged on for the first time, on launch day, in March of 1999, the first player in Everquest I ever saw was a dwarf named Dildobaggins.

Shits classic.

Faerie
03-25-2014, 11:39 PM
When I logged on for the first time, on launch day, in March of 1999, the first player in Everquest I ever saw was a dwarf named Dildobaggins.

Shits classic.

Oh god :(

I hope you stabbed him in his stupid face.

Tradesonred
03-25-2014, 11:47 PM
At this point, why not put Faerie in charge and watch the fireworks for lulz. Better to watch it burn down in a blaze of glory than have this chinese torture crap.

--

Blue merged with red

Enforced raid rotation (on a pvp server)

Big xp loss for a pvp death (because theres already too much pvp)

GM events that punish PVP

Enforced roleplay

--

What else did she propose

phacemeltar
03-25-2014, 11:50 PM
the only thing that keeps me from joining red is that most of the players seem very unfriendly(on forums). ofc thats the same case as on blue, but at least on blue there is a larger pool of people to choose from.

JPMorgan
03-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Group Bonus: 6 Man Group = The previous individual EXP bonus.

Staggered Week-long Variance = It rewards neckbeards but also creates more mobile people, scouting parties, and small scale PvP.

Remove the hybrid EXP penelty = It gets removed in Velious, but alot of people want to play SKs, Rangers, and Bards, rip that shit out.

Bring back Guises for a limited time only as a promotional event. You're welcome, Chewie.

Create a PvP token/symbol/reward system to supplement coin loot, which many find boring.

In game leaderboard.

+/- 4 PvP range

Start banning people like Rellapse and Hateraid on the forums. Aside from obvious trolls, the community isn't all that much worse than blue's, just a few days ago people were prasing staff when we thought exp was turned back on. Morale was high and personalities were positive.

Go forth with teams server or a new ffa box and just merge Red into Blue. I only say this because a wipe is not possible.

Fame
03-26-2014, 12:16 AM
the only thing that keeps me from joining red is that most of the players seem very unfriendly(on forums). ofc thats the same case as on blue, but at least on blue there is a larger pool of people to choose from.

Give it a few weeks and you'll be bitter as fuck just like the rest of us.

Humerox
03-26-2014, 12:27 AM
How many times and in how many ways are we just going to keep repeating the same damn things over and over again?

A reasonable person would understand that - at this point - it doesn't matter. Play or don't play. But even I am getting sick of seeing the same damned people spout the same damned crap not only every day...but in a hundred ways every damned day.

Humerox
03-26-2014, 12:31 AM

What you see in the forums is far removed from what's in-game. Plenty of helpful people in-game. Plenty of idiots too...but even most of them want to keep newbs. Most of them...there are a few cavemen who just like to anal probe. But hey...that's part of what you sign up for when you go red.

Squire
03-26-2014, 12:56 AM
its true.

Hailto
03-26-2014, 01:48 AM
The problem is you all pride yourselves on being the dregs of the EQ Emu community. You make your little MS paint montages of peoples corpses, call people faggots and ******s incessantly, and then you wonder why no one wants to play with you. The problem with Red 99 are the Red 99 players, and thats not going to change.

Also, EQ pvp has always been a sub-group of the EQ population, that doesn't help you much either when there isn't as many people to draw from anymore.

Fame
03-26-2014, 01:50 AM
Terms of endearment really

Fame
03-26-2014, 01:52 AM
oh and the community art to come out of red is far superior to anything those pussies on the otherside of the fence have ever posted on this site.

Goobles
03-26-2014, 02:01 AM
The problem is you all pride yourselves on being the dregs of the EQ Emu community. You make your little MS paint montages of peoples corpses, call people faggots and ******s incessantly, and then you wonder why no one wants to play with you. The problem with Red 99 are the Red 99 players, and thats not going to change.

Also, EQ pvp has always been a sub-group of the EQ population, that doesn't help you much either when there isn't as many people to draw from anymore.

It's all trash talk. Once ooc gets removed, it's not that bad as long as you stay away from the forums.

Hailto
03-26-2014, 02:04 AM
It's all trash talk. Once ooc gets removed, it's not that bad as long as you stay away from the forums.

Yeah, but the select few of us who don't live on this game, play EQ to relax not as a job, and it gets old listening to man-children calling people ******s all night. Blue had global OOC for awhile and that didn't happen, why is the red community so much more toxic?

Bazia
03-26-2014, 02:17 AM
guises

freez
03-26-2014, 02:31 AM
i heard hateraid got his ass beat in his front yard over everquest once

Fame
03-26-2014, 02:36 AM
why is the red community so much more toxic?

Think of it like being intentionally trained over and over again, you learn to hate eachother.

Dubs
03-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Reds fail

Goobles
03-26-2014, 02:51 AM
Seriously, clean this shit up. This thread is for constructive discussion, not random troll posts. I think it's time to bust out the old school .gifs

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/RiddlN/shitting.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/RiddlN/media/shitting.jpg.html)

Hailto
03-26-2014, 02:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/G1MgZg7.png

Hailto
03-26-2014, 03:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ok3dlPE.jpg

Squire
03-26-2014, 03:06 AM
We're consistantly below 100 people online lately. RD crumbling exclusively due to exp nerf and its effects. My guess is this sunday will be a two guild, 80 person box once again.

As evidenced by the staffs' unwillingness to negotiate the exp bonus, or lack thereof, despite literally everyone but faerie, azure, and rellapse disagreeing with them it might be safe to say they (staff) do not want input or feedback.

Staff has their own perception of, direction desired, and plans for the box. Whether or not that aligns with community desires or preferences is yet to be seen, but what is known is those qualities dont seem to be essential.

You're in our world now.

oil
03-26-2014, 03:11 AM
i got an idea

how bout you remember they dont give a fuck about you red retards

Humerox
03-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Yeah, but the select few of us who don't live on this game, play EQ to relax not as a job, and it gets old listening to man-children calling people ******s all night. Blue had global OOC for awhile and that didn't happen, why is the red community so much more toxic?

This perception perpetuates the problem. Only a select few rejects do that in OOC. Most of OOC is fine, and on top of that most of the regular R99'ers are actually in TS talking to friends or in GC.

The community isn't more toxic than blue. You notice it more in OOC because the same neckbeard anti-socials that won't quit begging for attention make sure you notice them. That's the only social network they have.

Faerie
03-26-2014, 03:25 AM
We're consistantly below 100 people online lately. RD crumbling exclusively due to exp nerf and its effects.

As evidenced by the staffs' unwillingness to negotiate the exp bonus, or lack thereof, despite literally everyone but faerie, azure, and rellapse disagreeing with them it might be safe to say they (staff) do not want input or feedback.

Staff has their own perception of, direction desired, and plans for the box. Whether or not that aligns with community desires or preferences is yet to be seen, but what is known is those qualities dont seem to be essential.

You're in our world now.

They griefed themselves off of the server by being so stubborn. It's the same game they were playing a month ago, if they were getting xp back then they can continue getting it now. We shouldn't settle for a watered down game simply to appease those who feel entitled to level 60.

The GMs assure us that positive changes are coming soon, and they're sincere people that care for the server and have information that we don't. Doubt is a hindrance, and it makes enemies of our very selves.

You guys can all jump ship if you want, but I'm going to be spending my online time PLing newbies, porting people and handing out rezzes.

Tradesonred
03-26-2014, 03:49 AM

haha you werent there in 2010 when the AND YOU LOVE IT guy was around on blue were you, nothing compares to that guy

But yeah u got a bunch of manchilds here for sure.

Red dawn was the first time i met people beside the occasionnal off one in az or nihilum where i went shit, normalish people! I dont consider myself normal but im not usually an asshole. Thats what i mean by "normals", people whos entire life doesnt revolve around harrassing people and trying to make other people feel miserable because theyve got low self esteem or their life is shit and gotta take it out on somebody.

Basically you get this viewpoint because moderation is pretty much non-existent on forums, GMs like more posting videos of darth vader in a thread, than banning someone whos talking shit about someones RL in the very same thread.

Its really not that bad if you find the right crew, and RD is your best bet if youre looking for that laid back, chill out play the game vibe. (Edit, HB quit, RD probably gonna die now, oh well)

Clark
03-26-2014, 06:10 AM
no ooc
classic exp
wipe? would be best

BeautBabeC
03-26-2014, 06:41 AM
If 99% want wipe they should make it so

Tassador
03-26-2014, 07:47 AM
The heat play the pacers tonight wowzies!!!

Zoolander
03-26-2014, 08:03 AM
blue one way server transfers with no drops only is the last frontier for red !

Gaunja
03-26-2014, 08:22 AM
1. Exp bonus
Exp is already challenging. Add pvp and only your hardcores will be patient enough to endure.

2. Make fresh red server
This will mitigate/eliminate twinks and griefers to some extent.
Will allow certain groups, guilds, and communities to start and flourish correctly
Keep server around long enough for it to grow healthily

3. Merge both red servers
Population fixed
Perception of server fixed

Tassador
03-26-2014, 09:02 AM
1. Exp bonus
Exp is already challenging. Add pvp and only your hardcores will be patient enough to endure.

2. Make fresh red server
This will mitigate/eliminate twinks and griefers to some extent.
Will allow certain groups, guilds, and communities to start and flourish correctly
Keep server around long enough for it to grow healthily

3. Merge both red servers
Population fixed
Perception of server fixed

You solved it man holy fuck!!!! Bravo

Gaunja
03-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Just giving some ideas. Dont have to mock my suggestion. Id love to play on pvp server, but not in red99s current state.

mgellan
03-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Turning off global OOC would be mandatory, really don't want to listen to a bunch of neckbeards trash talking...

Regards,
Mg

Squire
03-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Should one be so inclined, ooc can be turned off in the options menu, language filters are on by default, and should you encounter someone particularly offensive to your delicate sensibilities you can use the in game /ignore command.

pharmakos
03-26-2014, 11:39 AM

lol awesome idea

Zoolander
03-26-2014, 11:51 AM

I like this, a lot !

Goobles
03-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Global OOC needs to go. PERIOD.

It promotes an active, live R&F forum where people antagonize each other for no reason, and defecate from their mouths. Revealing location in OOC won't solve anything, just further toxicity.

ghostofsnufz
03-26-2014, 12:58 PM
It's real funny checking forums every once in awhile, and seeing the same theorycrafting "What we NEED to do to save Red 99" threads.

Sorry, your ideas aren't original, and GMs don't care.

That's the underlining fact you spergs don't get, GMs hate you, and want you to suffer.

JPMorgan
03-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Should one be so inclined, ooc can be turned off in the options menu, language filters are on by default, and should you encounter someone particularly offensive to your delicate sensibilities you can use the in game /ignore command.

Global OOC needs to stay. Fucking playing EQ as a single player game. Turn it off if you don't want to read it.

Azure
03-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Unrest works just fine. Rogues are fuked

Goobles
03-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Unrest works just fine. Rogues are fuked

werebats, hags spawning outside house? Rooms empty? Unrest is borked dude.

Liba60
03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
I was playing a gnome necro, leveled VERY easily to 16, but without exp bonus just not worth to play on red now.