PDA

View Full Version : Nearly 15 years of gaming, and I'm back where I started????? AHHHH!

Gumblegut
02-22-2014, 01:19 PM
No, seriously, think about it! EQ was probably a lot of our first games. For me, it was my 2nd, Ultima Online sort of absorbed my life completely around the same time. My brother and I went to EQ after tram was released on UO. We figured if they were going to turn it into a PVE game, go to a better PVE game. I was 10 or 11 years old? I don't remember anything other than getting lost a lot.

I've played just about every major title released since that time. I've had fun here and there, but games seem to of gone in a different direction since the days of EQ. I'm not even entirely sure whats different about them, but its something. The fact that I can get on a game as old as EQ and have more fun is odd to me since most of these new titles have a lot of the same properties of EQ. But, then again, something is just different...

ANYWHO!!! I'm starting fresh on Project 1999 and I'm completely lost (ONCE AGAIN). Any tips of a good starting character? I've been hearing a lot of people say that some of these classes are gear dependent. Is there a certain class I should stay away from as a fresh start guy? Any good guides out there on starting stats and such?

THANKS!!

Hailto
02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Best to stay away from melee as a fresh start class. Mage or necro is a good choice and not very gear dependent.

Gumblegut
02-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Appreciate it!!

StinkyGreenBud
02-22-2014, 01:39 PM
No, seriously, think about it! EQ was probably a lot of our first games. For me, it was my 2nd, Ultima Online sort of absorbed my life completely around the same time. My brother and I went to EQ after tram was released on UO. We figured if they were going to turn it into a PVE game, go to a better PVE game. I was 10 or 11 years old? I don't remember anything other than getting lost a lot.

Jeez man, that is exactly the same way it went for me...Except i was 16ish and my brother was 20ish...

Millburn
02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Best to stay away from melee as a fresh start class. Mage or necro is a good choice and not very gear dependent.

I disagree completely.

Best advice ever is to play whatever interests you the most, regardless of gear or grouping considerations.

Classic EQ is all about the adventure and the struggle. Take your time getting to the top, don't be bothered by obstacles. Any class you play here on P99 is going to be viable and will have people to group with. Disregard min/maxing your play experience and just let it happen.

Sarajo
02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Welcome! It's like Hailto said, but if those don't sound fun to you, I wouldn't recommend them. In strategic planning terms, they're great for levelling up quick and getting rich to supply your next alt. If that doesn't sound fun to you either, I wouldn't recommend that course of action either.

nilzark
02-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Agreed. Play whatever interests you. If you are not power leveled, and you have a job/family like most of us, then it is going to take you a very long time until you care about high end gear. Have fun.

sox7d
02-22-2014, 02:10 PM

No. This player is way too optimistic to just want to be a farmer/maxer.

OP, play what race looks the coolest and what class sounds the coolest.

Hailto
02-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I disagree completely.

Best advice ever is to play whatever interests you the most, regardless of gear or grouping considerations.

Classic EQ is all about the adventure and the struggle. Take your time getting to the top, don't be bothered by obstacles. Any class you play here on P99 is going to be viable and will have people to group with. Disregard min/maxing your play experience and just let it happen.

Well op specifically mentioned certain ckasses being gear dependent. People play different ways, some people are interested in what is the most efficient.

Numbers_
02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
I rolled a monk as my first character and that was kind of a mistake. I'm level 47 and still incredibly poor. I then started a shaman. He's level 34 now with horrible equipment.

Now I'm leveling a enchanter, which is what I should have started with. I can get over 200 cha for pretty cheap. Equipment matters on here because everyone else is so twinked out that you'll group with.

Gumblegut
02-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys!!

Yeah, I'm just looking to have some fun. I would hate to make a character and spend all this time into it to find I've made a bad decision ruining the character or something. I'm mostly concerned about stat allocation.

I also don't want to get to a point where I'm stuck on a level because my character is too weak. I don't remember much from the game.

nilzark
02-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Read the wiki before you decide. http://wiki.project1999.com

Millburn
02-22-2014, 02:27 PM
You're not going to be stuck, this weird situation will never happen. People are overhyping the deficits some classes have because they've been there, done that and know to min/max their play experience. You're brand new here, have a new adventure. Don't over think it, just go with your gut and have fun.

Gumblegut
02-22-2014, 02:30 PM
You're not going to be stuck, this weird situation will never happen. People are overhyping the deficits some classes have because they've been there, done that and know to min/max their play experience. You're brand new here, have a new adventure. Don't over think it, just go with your gut and have fun.

Cool. Sounds like a plan.

Sarajo
02-22-2014, 02:57 PM
There is a post somewhere in these forums called "Ravager's 1k twink guide" which helps with planning gear that will last a long time for just 1000pp. How much is 1kpp in perspective?
I dont farm money or rare stuff. I vendor everything. I hit 1kpp at around level 15. That was just from quest rewards(gnoll fangs -> moonstones) and selling rusty weapons with the occasional bronze and asking (always asking) guard killers if I could loot the bodies(kaladim guards, highkeep guards, etc) that they left to rot for a few minutes.
1kpp will definitely happen by level 15 if you do the bandit sashes in West Karanas and turn them in in Qeynos.

loramin
02-22-2014, 03:25 PM

This.

dannytaki
02-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Dude fuck these noobie money making staregies like gather stacks of bone chips to sell for 10pp. Just spend that time begginf from EC level 60 tunnel rats. I started a warrior with no gear. Now at level 32 i have full crafted/cobalt pieces, fbss, lammy, jade mace. Just beg say u just started, say u need money for spells. U can get great gear for under 300pp!

Millburn
02-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Dude fuck these noobie money making staregies like gather stacks of bone chips to sell for 10pp. Just spend that time begginf from EC level 60 tunnel rats. I started a warrior with no gear. Now at level 32 i have full crafted/cobalt pieces, fbss, lammy, jade mace. Just beg say u just started, say u need money for spells. U can get great gear for under 300pp!

^^
Classic as hell, but don't be that guy lol.

Numbers_
02-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Haha for sure. I remember when people used to beg me at the freeport bank back on live. God that was annoying. Begging is classic as hell.

HalflingWarrior
02-22-2014, 07:17 PM
GEAR dependent or not warriors and rogues will certainly be GROUP depdendent. If you dont wanna spend unknkown amounts of time lfg sverytime u login avoid those 2 classes on ur first go round.

You can always roll a warrior/rogue as ur first alt, when u can not only twink them somewht but more importantly have a network of ppl to find groups

Sirken
02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
ANYWHO!!! I'm starting fresh on Project 1999 and I'm completely lost (ONCE AGAIN). Any tips of a good starting character? I've been hearing a lot of people say that some of these classes are gear dependent. Is there a certain class I should stay away from as a fresh start guy? Any good guides out there on starting stats and such?

THANKS!!

Welcome to Project 1999!

Sarajo
02-22-2014, 09:59 PM

I remember a thread from a week or two back when we talked about the "groups that won't invite a rogue unless the rogue has epic" or "groups that expect a tank to have a fungi", and the one thing they all seemed to have in common anecdotally was:
They were all made of low-quality people. Well, low-quality players. Maybe they're not shitty people outside of Project 1999, I don't know.

But in the game, if someone's making demands like that, they're group you do not want to join, because they're only trying to get you to do all of the work and carry them.

HalflingWarrior
02-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Don't forget the groups that refuse to invite Hybrids!

Man I felt so bad the other night; a 53 Pally was shouting LFG for over an hour I shout LFG once on my Warrior get an invite.

So I decided to surprise em by giving my spot to the Pally! hahahahaha

Clark
02-22-2014, 11:18 PM

Agreed. Shaman/Ench also good.

Welcome to the server man :)

Millburn
02-23-2014, 01:07 AM
Don't forget the groups that refuse to invite Hybrids!

Man I felt so bad the other night; a 53 Pally was shouting LFG for over an hour I shout LFG once on my Warrior get an invite.

So I decided to surprise em by giving my spot to the Pally! hahahahaha

http://i.imgur.com/39r3T.gif