PDA

View Full Version : Best Rogue Race

Boatz
08-03-2010, 04:05 AM
What is the best Rogue race to start with for min/maxing, and how should points be allocated?

Bubbles
08-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Dwarves have great all around stats where it matters, have the barrel roll jump, and a great starting newbie area with two of the most uber quests in the game : bone chips in the Kaladim Paladin Guild, and CB Belts from the Warrior guild.

Barbs get incredible STR and STA but are lacking in agility and dex. They start in Halas/Qeynos section of the world, which has the ol' gnoll fang quest from Black Burrow...

Basically if you go dorf you get Crushbone/Butcher/Unrest/ Mistmoore progression without even leaving Fayder. If you go Barb you have Everfrost, BlackBurrow, Permafrost, and the Karanas.

If you want to evaluate it based on wealth, you'll make a lot more mone being a Barb, since the bandits and such in the Karanas + perma/Blackburrow is going to net you more coin and loot than Fayder or the black hole of Commons/Ro/Oasis...

But Fayder a close second. It's based on preference. Some really like barbs, some really like dorfs.. Halfling is the 3rd choice, who has really solid starting stats in STR/STA/AGI/DEX, but you're stuck in the black hole of Commons/Ro/Oasis/Misty as your starting areas, and it wont get decent at all till you are levelled enough to get into HighPass/HighKeep.

Boatz
08-03-2010, 04:34 AM
Think I am gonna go barb cuz I get slam and also can use hero bracers. How should I allocate points? All strength rest into dexterity?

Taluvill
08-03-2010, 04:39 AM
well, str is quite easy to max. I would put points into sta tbh. just max sta, because with end game gear it is easier to max everything but stamina.

Boatz
08-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Also, does diety matter for a rogue?

Bubbles
08-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Agnostic always best choice when available, allows you to use DE mask to get into places like oggok and grobb.

Barb probably the best choice.. 103/95/92/80 is a killer str/sta/agi/dex lineup, the low DEX is almost preferable since you don't want to be a proc'n machine in the first place.

gprater
08-03-2010, 07:48 AM
What is the best Rogue race to start with for min/maxing, and how should points be allocated?

Nekkid at night across Kithicor, first one to make it across wins the race and gets clothes!

seriously always like halflings for rogues. but a race with more STR would be good

tj218
08-03-2010, 08:06 AM
I think it all depends on how you want to play.

If you want the best most uber rogue for end-game, then yes go dorf or barbarian, all stats into STA.

If you are more of a mid-game type of player then it really doesn't matter, and I would put more points into STR.

Truth is nobody will withhold you from a group because you are a human rogue and not a dorf. Go with what you want, and what suits your style.

Reiker
08-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Min/maxing rogue = Barbarian.

/thread

Estu
08-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Not saying they're better from a min/max standpoint, but halflings get the 10% halfling exp bonus and the 9% rogue exp bonus stacking, so your overall exp becomes 1.1*1.09 = 1.199, i.e. 19.9% bonus, which is pretty badass. Granted, you'll be sharing it with your group, but it's a nice little gift.

Jeice
08-03-2010, 11:17 AM
HALFLING!

(but thats my choice... end game it doesn't mater unless you are one of those elitist fucks that is sad he is hitting for 1 less dmg)

renegadeofunk
08-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Not saying they're better from a min/max standpoint, but halflings get the 10% halfling exp bonus and the 9% rogue exp bonus stacking, so your overall exp becomes 1.1*1.09 = 1.199, i.e. 19.9% bonus, which is pretty badass. Granted, you'll be sharing it with your group, but it's a nice little gift.

I believe the halfling bonus is only 5%. Still nice, though.

Boatz
08-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Yah, I am set on Barb, but do I put all points into stamina? Or better to put points into strength and dexterity?

HippoNipple
08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
The people who say all points into stamina are the people who are big into raiding and end game. You won't be maxing out your stats until you have already been playing for several months if you are a casual player. Even then you can always substitute core state gear for resist gear or hp gear later on if you have your dex maxed as one example. You won't be as good leveling up if you put all into stamina, they say stamina because its harder to get stamina gear to max yourself out later on. You shouldn't be taking a lot of hits anyways as a rogue and to be useful in groups you want to be able to deal out dome dps.

These are the same people who say an enchanter or wizard should max out stamina, which is only useful if you are a huge twink from the start that max out their intel right away. If you are asking for others advice then you are not this type of player and shouldn't go all stamina.

Seritaph
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
The people who say all points into stamina are the people who are big into raiding and end game. You won't be maxing out your stats until you have already been playing for several months if you are a casual player. Even then you can always substitute core state gear for resist gear or hp gear later on if you have your dex maxed as one example. You won't be as good leveling up if you put all into stamina, they say stamina because its harder to get stamina gear to max yourself out later on. You shouldn't be taking a lot of hits anyways as a rogue and to be useful in groups you want to be able to deal out dome dps.

These are the same people who say an enchanter or wizard should max out stamina, which is only useful if you are a huge twink from the start that max out their intel right away. If you are asking for others advice then you are not this type of player and shouldn't go all stamina.

This makes sense. If your rogue is an alt you're twinking and P/L'ing to get to raid then all stamina is logical. However, if you're actually going to have to level the character the slow and painful way, then you may want to reconsider bumping up some other stats as well.

I made a barbarian rogue I'm leveling from scratch, and it's a lot of fun. Starting starts are decent and the EF newb area is excellent for getting some starter weapons and making/questing yourself some newbie armor. There are also several quests you can easily do to get some money and exp boosts. I've also noticed people like to make shamans, and others hunt Blackburrow, so there is a real decent grouping population to access.

The only real downfall are those damn Vengefuls, but they keep you on your toes.

guineapig
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Leveling slowly won't account for the fact that eventually you will hit 50 and when that time comes you will find that your strength above 200 and is always maxed in groups (due to shaman or druid buff). Your boosted dex will offer diminishing returns as you can only proc so often (and do you really want to be stealing agro from the tank with every pull?)

This will leave you looking at hitpoints and resists. Resists are definitely a raid type stat to be looking at and people usually swap out gear specifically for resists.

So that just leaves hitpoints... which brings you right back to stamina. Be it now or six months down the line. Unless of course you just quit playing your rogue all together the moment you hit max level, in which case this thread looses its purpose.

Gratal
08-03-2010, 08:27 PM
What about the rogue "Evade" ability...is that in the game? I know it was added before Velious cause there were problems with some orc being evaded and the rogue being able to kite him cause he agroed on anyone else in zone.

Reiker
08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Evade's in, and as a general rule you shouldn't listen to HippoNipple.

Go sta or go home.

Cyrano
08-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Evade is just turning off attack and hitting hide to lower aggro slightly. Do it every chance hide is up and your dex won't matter.

However since you only need 189 str in classic to max it out on raids (with a shaman or druid+potion), it's not majorly important end game.

Currently the max BS is 285 so for those of us at that point survivability becomes the most important ability (i.e. if you're able to stay in AOEs longer). While people say STA is the way to go, I've found that high HP items often yield more overall HP than STA. I put all of my points as a Barbarian into STR then the rest into STA. With that said, I have am able to maintain max str quite easily while having a ton of latitude with resist/hp/sta items due to my high STR and I feel this will only continue onward into Kunark and Velious.

To each their own at the end of the day, but good rogues will figure out how to stay alive anyways. The min/max thing isn't very important so long as you stay alive and actively hitting. I'd take a crafty wood elf rogue any day over a moron playing a decked out barb/dwarf who won't get out of AOE and dies every boss fight early on.