PDA

View Full Version : Translocator operation

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 11:18 PM
As an FYI to the masses: Translocators will no longer always be up. They now will despawn after being available for transport for 100 seconds. They have a respawn all less than 13 minutes, and as such you'd have a maximum wait time of 23 minutes.

There are several reasons that this was done. There are several quests, such as the knight card quest among others that had to be curtailed due to the rapid transit that was available. These will now be made more available & actually work. The other is to actually give a benefit to those that choose to play teleporting classes & create more interdependence between players.

Morphnblorsh rejoice.

Jify
11-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Awesome. 8D

Vonyor
11-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Thats a clever solution, it should help my teleportation business too

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 11:25 PM
In other news a recent investigation shows Aeolwind recently bought into fish bait futures. Insider trader charges pending.

:)

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 11:26 PM
In other news a recent investigation shows Aeolwind recently bought into fish bait futures. Insider trader charges pending.

I cannot comment on an on going investigation....

yaaaflow
11-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow do I hate this idea so much. That was one of the things I was happy to just look at purely as an improvement over old eq.

foxdragoon
11-22-2009, 11:33 PM
The only problem I can see is for the evil races who might agro the wood elf npcs by the ocean of tears dock not having an easy way out by quickly running to the translocator. Of course, you can sometimes avoid them by running to the side, but it seems that a few times you will agro them. This wasn't a problem on old EQ, since you could just stay on the boat. Maybe if the translocator didn't place you in the middle of these two npcs it would help.

We'll see.

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 11:37 PM
The only problem I can see is for the evil races who might agro the wood elf npcs by the ocean of tears dock not having an easy way out by quickly running to the translocator. Of course, you can sometimes avoid them by running to the side, but it seems that a few times you will agro them. This wasn't a problem on old EQ, since you could just stay on the boat. Maybe if the translocator didn't place you in the middle of these two npcs it would help.

We'll see.

I foresaw this problem on Sister Isle and there are 2 solutions, one implemented and 1 player "driven".

Firrewhisper
11-22-2009, 11:38 PM
My evil enchanter has had no issues with using the translocator's in the Ocean of Tears. Perhaps I was just lucky.

Bones
11-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Wow do I hate this idea so much. That was one of the things I was happy to just look at purely as an improvement over old eq.

Its more of a convenience than an "improvement"

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Will they be on a timed schedule? Weren't the original boats exactly 20 mins or something like that?

Cribanox
11-22-2009, 11:41 PM
I find it hard enough to find a port as it is...

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 11:41 PM
It is based strictly off the respawn times of the NPC's and the timers. They are not interlinked. Simpler solution this time to let the server and DB deal with it than have the translocators just randomly decide to stop working.

Bigcountry23
11-22-2009, 11:45 PM
So the knight card quest is going to work when the server comes back? http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288&highlight=knight+card

Also, is there a way to set it up so the TL from BB that puts you at "brother island" (location 2 on this map). http://web.archive.org/web/20080125171124/www.eqatlas.com/ootmap1.html

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 11:49 PM
So the knight card quest is going to work when the server comes back? http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288&highlight=knight+card

Also, is there a way to set it up so the TL from BB that puts you at "brother island" (location 2 on this map). http://web.archive.org/web/20080125171124/www.eqatlas.com/ootmap1.html

Point 1, yes.

Point 2, as I said before I made it slightly more friendly on the dock already, I don't think this will be needed. While I want the destination to be relatively safe, there needs to be some drawback to playing an evil race or hosing your sister faction.

Takshaka
11-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow, this is certainly a clever solution. As much as I will now be unhappy waiting it is still a heck of a lot faster than taking the boat.

Spud
11-23-2009, 12:01 AM

HAHahahhaha

Bigcountry23
11-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Point 1, yes.

Point 2, as I said before I made it slightly more friendly on the dock already, I don't think this will be needed. While I want the destination to be relatively safe, there needs to be some drawback to playing an evil race or hosing your sister faction.

Point 2 rebuttle: It's not a safety issue, it's a zone access issue. I remember camping the sirens in the teens and aviarks in the later levels, which were easy to access from the boat from BB. As all TL take you to sister island, these islands are too remote to be worth the trip.

Setting it so that there were two TL paths (Freeport, Sister islsand, BB and BB, Brother Island, Freeport) which recreates the boat path would aliviate that and open the zone up (and put some Ebon War Spears on the market for the shammys).

Aeolwind
11-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Point 2 rebuttle: It's not a safety issue, it's a zone access issue. I remember camping the sirens in the teens and aviarks in the later levels, which were easy to access from the boat from BB. As all TL take you to sister island, these islands are too remote to be worth the trip.

Setting it so that there were two TL paths (Freeport, Sister islsand, BB and BB, Brother Island, Freeport) which recreates the boat path would aliviate that and open the zone up (and put some Ebon War Spears on the market for the shammys).

Oh oh oh! I got you now. I can certainly add that one in. Good catch. I coulda SWORN it was already there however. Will get it added. I'm in the process of scripting Doran now, depending on when the server comes back up it might not make it. But this will be on in short order.

Reiker
11-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Man if only those ebon war spears weren't lore I'd have a couple backpacks worth of them. So easy/common, especially if you're camping allizewsaur and bored.

Bigcountry23
11-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Oh oh oh! I got you now. I can certainly add that one in. Good catch. I coulda SWORN it was already there however. Will get it added. I'm in the process of scripting Doran now, depending on when the server comes back up it might not make it. But this will be on in short order.

And this is why I dig you man. :) Sorry, should have posted something about it a few weeks ago when the idea first struk me (and my still hammer of wrath weilding shaman).

Wildir
11-23-2009, 12:17 PM
well, if we had server populations at classic levels, this would not be a bad idea, but right now, it is nearly impossible to get a teleport from a druid or wizard, you can spam /OOC for hours and not get a bite at times.

Now, It will take an hour to run from faydwer to antonica for a group, since the population isnt big enough to keep multiple dungeons busy with LFP groups, now if I log out in unrest, I have an extra 25 min wait at the docks before I can get to the group that wants me in sola or uguk, not sure this is a good solution.

Wildir

Aeolwind
11-23-2009, 12:23 PM
well, if we had server populations at classic levels, this would not be a bad idea, but right now, it is nearly impossible to get a teleport from a druid or wizard, you can spam /OOC for hours and not get a bite at times.

Now, It will take an hour to run from faydwer to antonica for a group, since the population isnt big enough to keep multiple dungeons busy with LFP groups, now if I log out in unrest, I have an extra 25 min wait at the docks before I can get to the group that wants me in sola or uguk, not sure this is a good solution.

Wildir

The wait time will change throughout the course of the day. BB/FP are on 10 minute timers, OOT are on 13 minute timers. So it is entirely possible, to port to OOT, and the next translocator be up. In those scenarios you'd be able to clear the ocean in just a few minutes. But, all of them have a 100 second timer, and different spawn rates so it will continually change throughout the day.

adocious
11-23-2009, 01:14 PM
This kicks ass, thanks!

Tengo
11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Used FP-BB today, waited like 30 seconds for FP pop. Waited max respawn time in OOT, popped, ported to Butcherblock. This revamped system is money if you ask me. Even waiting for the pops you still travel instantly when they are up without the boat ride of classic. Total time spent: 10-13 minutes (whatever the OOT spawn was) to go from one continent to another. Two thumbs up.

guineapig
11-23-2009, 01:52 PM

Wildir

Hopefully Wizards and Druids will take note and realize how much profit potential is in it to spend an hour playing taxi.

Bubbles
11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Hopefully Wizards and Druids will take note and realize how much profit potential is in it to spend an hour playing taxi.

Not nearly as much as spending the time killing guards, not the mention missing out on xp.

Hell I give people back 90% death experience and it's not a worth my time financially. And clerics make the class choice based on being genreally sociable and decent human beings. GL on the wizards and druids ;) Invest in live bait.

Zarniwooop
11-24-2009, 01:13 AM
As much as I hate it, it makes sense.

Although getting groups will be a much vaster pita in the midlevels.

I wish wish wish the boats would work =(. Why won't they? Network code hopelessly boggled?

Bigcountry23
11-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Point 1, yes.

Point 1 Rebuttle. Knight Card quest is still broken (I hand Doran Vargnus the card, he hands it back). This is the knight card from Kaladim for killing the rogue sweeper (not confusing the card with the junk cards from the testimant quest).

stormlord
11-24-2009, 04:07 AM
As much as I hate it, it makes sense.

Although getting groups will be a much vaster pita in the midlevels.

I wish wish wish the boats would work =(. Why won't they? Network code hopelessly boggled?

As far as I understand it, this is actually faster than boats since there's no wait-time when you're ported (you're not on a boat). So while the time is about the same, it might be a tiny bit faster. In any case, if we had boats, finding groups would be about equal to what we have now. So ,if you were to base this entirely on how fast it's to get from freeport to BB, for the sake of finding a group, then you'd have to get rid of boats because they're downtime. Why should crossing those zones be instant anyway???? I can't cross west karana instantly. I can't go from west karana to north karana to east karana instantly. I have to travel. The pita about translocaters/boats on timers is that because there's no traveling involved (except with boats, but you still wait), it's even more boring waiting!

Enable swimming so that we can swim from freeport to BB (or run if we have lev). They're zones just like any other zone. Perhaps running with lev could actually be faster than waiting for the timer/boat. Downside is you can't train fishing :/

Dreadder
11-24-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm more curious as to why we can't have boats because I'm pretty sure SOD has them and they run off of Titanium to I believe.

Zarniwooop
11-24-2009, 08:37 AM
So if we get on the boat in butcher. We decide for some reason to get off the boat on sister island and wait another 13 minutes?

What?

That's not right. If you're going to make us wait, then give us the option to port directly to freeport. It NEVER took 26 minutes to get from butcher dock to freeport dock (worst case). You got on the boat and you stayed there.

Aeolwind
11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
So if we get on the boat in butcher. We decide for some reason to get off the boat on sister island and wait another 13 minutes?

What?

That's not right. If you're going to make us wait, then give us the option to port directly to freeport. It NEVER took 26 minutes to get from butcher dock to freeport dock (worst case). You got on the boat and you stayed there.

Would be a 23 minute pause if it were a direct shot.

I'll be adding a translocator to "Brother" Isle shortly. I didn't really notice one was missing there...I mean, i #zone everwhere I need to go lol. Remember, let me know if there are mobs that need to be moved in OOT. I may add an option for evils to get dropped off in the water instead of the docks. I could make it automatic as well.

Morfnblorsh
11-24-2009, 12:19 PM
That's racist!

Aeolwind
11-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Never, I hate everyone equally.

President
11-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Would be a 23 minute pause if it were a direct shot.

I'll be adding a translocator to "Brother" Isle shortly. I didn't really notice one was missing there...I mean, i #zone everwhere I need to go lol. Remember, let me know if there are mobs that need to be moved in OOT. I may add an option for evils to get dropped off in the water instead of the docks. I could make it automatic as well.

Aeolwind, At first, I thought this was a good idea because it made it more "classic." That was, until last night.

We had a group going in Mistmoore in need of replacements. As you are probably aware, most people don't "hang out" around Fawdyer, the only people there are in CB, Mistmoore, or Unrest. Everyone else is chillin the FP or surrounding areas.

I had two people who I can't remember there exact location, but in the FP area who were duoing some mobs. They basically straight up told me that the now 40 minute run due to translocator change wasn't worth it even though it would probably be better xp than what they were getting.

One of the replacements I finally found took 1 1/2 hours to get there because he was evil, died in OOT because the Translocator wasn't up and got aggroed by the wood elf, and then had to try to find an invis to get back through after death. Yes this probably would have gone quicker if he had found an invis quicker, or had invis himself, but it literally took that long.

I also received a ton of just "no's" even though I would have expected a yes, without an explanation.

After about 12 midnight EST which I would still consider somewhat peak time it was nearly impossible to keep the group together as replacements were needed and people who weren't nearby were uninterested in the trek.

Yes, I want it to be as classic as possible, but this is going to hurt grouping especially at the lower level.

Danth
11-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I disagree with the revised implementation because it's no more classic than the prior version of translocators, while also less convenient. That's the worst of both worlds on a low-population server.

Danth

Tollen
11-24-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm more curious as to why we can't have boats because I'm pretty sure SOD has them and they run off of Titanium to I believe.

>> http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6612&postcount=12

Zarniwooop
11-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Then it sounds like we're left to abandon Fadweyr (sp).

That's a miserable run to check to see if you can slip into a mistmore group.

If there WAS a boat, it would be tolerable. Knowing it's just an artificial irritation isn't enjoyable. Last post on the subject. I'll let it go now.

stormlord
11-25-2009, 06:16 AM
I'd like to know how a boat would help you to get groups faster? According to what has been put out there, this is actually a tiny bit faster than what boats offered. So if they implemented boats rather than translocaters w/ timers, how would that be any different??? Sure, you get to ride on a boat (yipee), but the downtime is still present. Evil races still have to wait for the boat and risk dying. You still have to cross from one continent to another in a similar timeframe.

President's post underlined this for me. Classic was hard, and why would we expect any different? Still, the population is an issue. I play on this server often when it has between 80-140 people online. In live classic there were probably 2500-3500 people online. I remember there were a couple servers with 4000+ at some point. Even the conservative number is 27x more players than I see online with me. That's 27x more potential for someone to give you a sow, or an invis, or a port, or a bind, or a group. If there's a greater population, you have less reason to jump continents to find a group because groups are all over the f@$^!@! place. That would make things a lot more easier than boats would (yipee, a boat!). I don't think boats would make any of this better. The issue is downtime and population.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't see how boats would change anything beyond the "wow it's a boat!" factor.

It seems to me that the majority of people don't want timed translocaters OR boats. They both have the same drawback (downtime).

IMHO, we should just allow people to swim or lev/run across the zones to cross continents. Can we presently do that? Why have instant teleporters between freeport and bb, but not between west karana and east karana? Why not have instant teleporters between qeynos and freeport? IMHO, it's more consistent and balanced just to remove the translocaters AND boats, and just allow people to swim or lev/run across the zones like they do in all the other zones. This would remove the confusion and keep the issue from being a target.

Plus, evil races could just run (with sow, like they do in all the other zones they pass through) and wouldn't have to sit and die (because there's no place to go without a boat/translocater). This whole mess started with boats, and translocaters haven't changed it.

So my argument is that since we don't have the population to support the boat/translocater dynamic, lets just get rid of both of them and allow people to run from one continent to the other (or swim). This is more in line with the flavor of classic (that's how we travel most of the time without a porter class). It also would make things a bit easier for evils, but nobody would be getting anything for free.

The best thing is you don't have to fish. You're not forced to sit an wait. No buggy boats. You can go afk while crossing zones too. Downside is that those who do it this way would want levitate, and sow, preferably. Maybe it could be an alternative.

Oh, and a way to know when the translocater will pop or the boat will arrive would be nice to decide whether to do this.

Bottom line, don't blame this on a lame translocater. The wow-ness of boats would not make this any better. They're fun for most people the first couple times, but after that the only thing you'd see in the forums are people complaining about downtime and boat bugs.

Aeolwind
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.s214135040.onlinehome.us/strip19.jpg

Tollen
11-25-2009, 01:07 PM
^^

/galfclap

Zarniwooop
11-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Please fix the translocators.

If you are stupid and tired and you're going to freeport and you accidentally hit your Butcherblock key on sister island you start over.

It's just miserable even when you don't mess it up. No nostalgia factor at all.