PDA

View Full Version : My Axe(that means guitar, posers)

OMGWTF420
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
currently im rocking an LTD viper 100fm, stock ESP pick-ups, bottom heavy Ernie Ball strings...

im thinking about upgrading, the guitar sounds superb especially distorted, the cleans could be better but its definitely manageable. my only complaints are the action isnt that great and i get alot of fret buzz(not sure if this is the guitar, my strings or both, dude at the shop said it was just the guitar and there was nothing i could do about it) any ideas? suggestions? what are you playing?

also i need a new amp. should i go marshall or fender? or what about line 6? i hear those are good for solid state amps. on that note should i go tube or solid state? i play mainly rock/metal fwiw

lets talk about guitars

gcobb
03-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I guess it just depends on what sort of tone you're craziest about within 'rock and metal.' For instance, both Dimebag Darrell and Derek Trucks could, at times, be classified as rock guitarists. In my own experience/opinion, nothing out there beats a straight-up pedal-free unmediated instrument-to-amp combination of Gibson's 57 humbuckers and a quality Fender tube amp (be it Blues Junior, Blues Deluxe, Deluxe/Super Reverb) when it comes to clean tone.

That said, my own taste and style and ambitions tend to be way on out to the Derek Trucks end of the tonal spectrum. I'd like to be able to characterize my tone as warm and obese, hence my near-fanatical love for the Gibson guitar/Fender amp combo and comparative loathing for the pseudo-soulful thinness of your average Strat player's sound (Stevie Ray being a crucial exception, but only b/c he played with such monstrously thick strings that he ended up with a Gibsonian tone).

I know next to nothing about what sort of hardware would be good for a metal player (and your options would probably depend a lot on how much you play rhythm v. lead (if you're in a band or something)), but my gut tells me one would always be better off going with quality over gimmicky hardware (i.e. get the best tone possible first, then figure out how/whether to add certain effects). Though, as always, the one absolutely most inflexible and foolproof way to improve your sound is to improve your fingers. To practice.

gcobb
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
I play a Gibson SG standard, BTW, which I understand to have certain at least aesthetic things in common w/ the Viper. If you like the light weight, one-piece-of-woodedness-that's-perfect-for-playing-slide, and unparalleled high-fret access of the Viper, the SG might suit you.

Lune
03-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Picked this thing up in Mistmoore, but I'm thinking I might just sell it to a vendor. Been carrying it around for about a week now and still haven't played it

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/305/axef.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/axef.jpg/)

OMGWTF420
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I play a Gibson SG standard, BTW, which I understand to have certain at least aesthetic things in common w/ the Viper. If you like the light weight, one-piece-of-woodedness-that's-perfect-for-playing-slide, and unparalleled high-fret access of the Viper, the SG might suit you.

ya gibson SG's have always caught my eye, they are just a very aesthetically pleasing guitar. thats what turned me on to the viper was that it had that sg look. however ive also been looking at alot of jackson's, i played some jackson flying v(cant remember the exact model) in a pawn shop a few months ago and i fell in love, the action was sooooo smooth, the main problem i seem to be having is the guitars that sound good distorted and down-tuned often sound like shit when you try to play the cleaner sounds. i play everything from lamb of god to pearl jam so i need something that can hang with both, i may be asking for too much lol

OforOppression
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Solid states are really good if you don't have many pedals. Pedals are better, obviously, but my Line 6 Spider III has a good range of effects and I only really use my wah and flanger.

If you're a pedal nut I would recommend a Marshall.

I use my Telecaster mostly for normal fiddling but I also have a Dean VMNT Mustaine signature that gets really buttery clean sound and just nasty distortion.

OforOppression
03-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Forgot to mention, the action on the VMNT is really smooth, a little higher than most guitars I've played but it's not difficult.

OMGWTF420
03-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Solid states are really good if you don't have many pedals. Pedals are better, obviously, but my Line 6 Spider III has a good range of effects and I only really use my wah and flanger.

If you're a pedal nut I would recommend a Marshall.

I use my Telecaster mostly for normal fiddling but I also have a Dean VMNT Mustaine signature that gets really buttery clean sound and just nasty distortion.

i have a few pedals, the main ones i use are my distortion and delay tho. i prefer using pedals for effects rather than using built in ones on the amps personally

OMGWTF420
03-18-2013, 08:04 PM
just broke a string and dont have any to replace it, fml

nichomachean
03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I would ask what kind of budget you're looking for?

Overall, in terms of amp, for the most legitimate sounds (both clean and overdriven), you can't be tube. There are plenty of boutique craftsman creating wonderful amps across a range of sounds and needs. Bad Cat amps, for example, have great class A overdriven sound and crystal-clear cleans. ENGL, on the other hand, makes face-melting, high gain monsters for the metalheads and shredders out there. I think tube amps are worth the investment, even if they are pricey.

In terms of guitars, most companies make great guitars, and tone is a matter of many things, including the wood combinations in the neck, fretboard, and body; which electronics you place in the guitar, and scale. In terms of your current guitar, I am skeptical things like fret buzz and high action cannot be adjusted (it sounds like your repair guy doesn't seem to know his stuff). I play an Ibanez S with EMG active pickups as my more "metal" guitar (it has exceptional clean sounds as well), and stick to a Dean Evo for my more classic rock, Gibson-Les-Paul-style guitar.

Solid state is great on a budget, but all-in-all one will not find the same tone from it as tube circuitry.

Just my 2 coppers.

OMGWTF420
03-18-2013, 10:48 PM
I would ask what kind of budget you're looking for?

Overall, in terms of amp, for the most legitimate sounds (both clean and overdriven), you can't be tube. There are plenty of boutique craftsman creating wonderful amps across a range of sounds and needs. Bad Cat amps, for example, have great class A overdriven sound and crystal-clear cleans. ENGL, on the other hand, makes face-melting, high gain monsters for the metalheads and shredders out there. I think tube amps are worth the investment, even if they are pricey.

In terms of guitars, most companies make great guitars, and tone is a matter of many things, including the wood combinations in the neck, fretboard, and body; which electronics you place in the guitar, and scale. In terms of your current guitar, I am skeptical things like fret buzz and high action cannot be adjusted (it sounds like your repair guy doesn't seem to know his stuff). I play an Ibanez S with EMG active pickups as my more "metal" guitar (it has exceptional clean sounds as well), and stick to a Dean Evo for my more classic rock, Gibson-Les-Paul-style guitar.

Solid state is great on a budget, but all-in-all one will not find the same tone from it as tube circuitry.

Just my 2 coppers.

awesome insight dude, i still consider myself a novice, ive only been playing for a little over 2 years so this is the kind of stuff i need to hear.

as far as my budget goes, im looking at around 300-400 on a new amp, a guitar will probably in the same ballpark area however ill be looking at used stuff too so hopefully i can get a good deal

nichomachean
03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Nice.

For a good little 5w tube amp, see if you can pick up a used Epiphone Valve Jr. It only has a gain knob, with nice cleans, and breaks up nicely as you ramp it up. You should be able to pick up the amp for about $100, and the matching 1x12 cabinet for $60-85.

In terms of guitar, in the $300-500 range there are all kinds of great guitars. I am actually a big fan of Schecter guitars, which for the price play really well and have room for upgrades. I am also a fan of Dean guitars in this price range, as well as some of the Ibanez (the S-series have some of the smoothest necks I've ever played). I would recommend the Schecter Omen series if you like fixed bridge, or the Damian series if you want to mess with the Floyd Rose vibrato. They both come with passive or active pickups.

Good luck!

Yibz
03-19-2013, 11:25 AM
If you're considering buying a new guitar because of the fret buzz, hold off. Except for in very cheap guitars, this can be fixed 99% of the time by tinkering with the truss rod and adjusting the action. It's something they only recommend being done by a tech who knows what they're doing but it's easy enough to do by yourself. Just adjust the truss rod in small increments (1/8th of a turn) and you shouldn't have a problem. I love having a reason to go get a new guitar but the one you have sounds like a decent one.

quido
03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
tarathiel link us to your myspace so we can hear you play bro, I wanna listen

Aviann
03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Spider 3 was my first amp ever. Loved the shit out of it. I plan on upgrading to a Spider 4 when I get to the point that I need to rattle my windows. I play a Syn Gates custom model Schecter with the Floyd rose. Ernie Ball's on it, heavy lows high highs. Fucking shreds beautifully and I found with my Line 6 that I have all the sound I ever wanted. I do have a couple of pedals, one for extra low dist that I mess around with my boys when they are in drop C, and the other for looping... The spider 4 would abolish my needs for both of them. Marshall sounds fuzzy to me now.

Bodeanicus
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
currently im rocking an LTD viper 100fm, stock ESP pick-ups, bottom heavy Ernie Ball strings...

im thinking about upgrading, the guitar sounds superb especially distorted, the cleans could be better but its definitely manageable. my only complaints are the action isnt that great and i get alot of fret buzz(not sure if this is the guitar, my strings or both, dude at the shop said it was just the guitar and there was nothing i could do about it) any ideas? suggestions? what are you playing?

also i need a new amp. should i go marshall or fender? or what about line 6? i hear those are good for solid state amps. on that note should i go tube or solid state? i play mainly rock/metal fwiw

lets talk about guitars

First of all, stop playing homo-erotic faggot guitars that your homo-erotic faggot guitar heroes play. Do you really want to be onstage looking at a crowd of pimply faced, teenage boys who want to ask about your string gauge, stomp boxes and what potentiometers you use for your guitar's volume knob? Or do you want a hot chick to suck your knob after the show? Maybe you want one of the dudes to do it, fuck if I know.

Second, learn to set the fucking guitar up. It's not rocket science. There are fifty thousand videos on Youtube demonstrating how to do it. A retarded fucking ape could learn it.

Last, by a Fender G-Dec sample amp, since you're going to be playing shit. Don't waste your money on a good tube amp, you're not going to be playing anything worth hearing.

OforOppression
03-19-2013, 01:34 PM
^mad

bizzum
03-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Bodeanicus plays the MADolin.

OMGWTF420
03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
First of all, stop playing homo-erotic faggot guitars that your homo-erotic faggot guitar heroes play. Do you really want to be onstage looking at a crowd of pimply faced, teenage boys who want to ask about your string gauge, stomp boxes and what potentiometers you use for your guitar's volume knob? Or do you want a hot chick to suck your knob after the show? Maybe you want one of the dudes to do it, fuck if I know.

Second, learn to set the fucking guitar up. It's not rocket science. There are fifty thousand videos on Youtube demonstrating how to do it. A retarded fucking ape could learn it.

Last, by a Fender G-Dec sample amp, since you're going to be playing shit. Don't waste your money on a good tube amp, you're not going to be playing anything worth hearing.

hella mad

OforOppression
03-19-2013, 02:56 PM
You are dead to me. Nothing you ever say in the future will hold any value for me at all.

they are kill yourself

tubes are great and all but solids are so much more convenient.

Brysenjg
03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
If you're going to be playing metal..or anything with a heavy use distortion I would recommend a solid state amp.

If you were to use a tube amp for metal, you would absolutely need a distortion pedal. They aren't known for the use of heavy distortion. They are known for their warm, full bodied clean sound and natural break up as you turn it up. (I'm not suggesting you can't use a tube amp for metal, but I wouldn't recommend it.)

As far as brand of amp, I would recommend Marshall or Fender. There is the Marshall Class 5..nice little practice amp. They do make hybrids mix of tube/solid state as well (tube circuitry complemented with digital modeling and effects), check out the Super Champ XD by Fender. Extremely popular, versatile and affordable.

With regards to your guitar it sounds like it should be professionally set up. What gauge strings do you use? What frets are the strings buzzing on? How worn down are the frets? There could be a number of factors contributing to buzzing. Of all things it sounds like it may need a truss rod adjustment. But without actually seeing it, I couldn't say for sure. I'm building my guitar at the moment. I had a Gibson ES 335 for a while, and a Les Paul w/p90s..I always find myself going back to my MIA Fender Strat though. Something about single coil pickups just sounds right to me vs humbuckers.

Sodapop
03-19-2013, 06:27 PM
<< unknown mfc date, no serial, hot rodded Greco Les Paul Custom, seymore duncan pickup, some other pick up. Price = ??? Gift from a friend who worked at a guitar center and stole it.

nichomachean
03-19-2013, 06:41 PM
If you're going to be playing metal..or anything with a heavy use distortion I would recommend a solid state amp.

If you were to use a tube amp for metal, you would absolutely need a distortion pedal. They aren't known for the use of heavy distortion. They are known for their warm, full bodied clean sound and natural break up as you turn it up. (I'm not suggesting you can't use a tube amp for metal, but I wouldn't recommend it.)

There are plenty of modern tube amps with high-gain stages, running everything from EL34s to 6L6/6G6s with plenty of gain. Check out ENGL, Diamond, Diezel, Bogner, Krank, Mesa...the list goes on.

Granted, they're pricy (I think Kranks are the cheapest, and still run around 1200). Furthermore, there then comes the argument of voicing (British versus modern, etc. etc.), as well as pairings with speakers (Celestions still seem to be some of the most popular).

Bang for buck you can't beat solid state, but I don't think you'll ever get the same distortion out of the MOSFET circuits as you would from pushing valves.

Just my opinion. :D

Brysenjg
03-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Condition of the guitar cosmetically? Does it work? If you really want to know for sure, or even try to sell it. This would be a good start - http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/10556-greco-value.html

Brysenjg
03-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Nicho - Absolutely correct...but no where near his budget. Which is why I suggested if you are going the tube route, you need a distortion pedal of some sort. Yeah, I'm a fan of the Celestion greenbacks myself.

nichomachean
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Nicho - Absolutely correct...but no where near his budget. Which is why I suggested if you are going the tube route, you need a distortion pedal of some sort. Yeah, I'm a fan of the Celestion greenbacks myself.

Fair enough. I didn't know if you were just pooping on tube overall. :)

Greenbacks are great, though I started rocking some Golds in my 2x12 and some classic leads in my 4x12. I am considering checking out some Greenbacks, though. :D

Brysenjg
03-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Nooo, I love tube amps! I've actually got a 1967 Gibson Explorer GA-15 Tube amp and fender blues deluxe! I don't touch solid state amps anymore, nothing against them at all..just don't suit my taste.

Bodeanicus
03-20-2013, 09:37 AM

As far as brand of amp, I would recommend Marshall or Fender. There is the Marshall Class 5..nice little practice amp. They do make hybrids mix of tube/solid state as well (tube circuitry complemented with digital modeling and effects), check out the Super Champ XD by Fender. Extremely popular, versatile and affordable.

With regards to your guitar it sounds like it should be professionally set up. What gauge strings do you use? What frets are the strings buzzing on? How worn down are the frets? There could be a number of factors contributing to buzzing. Of all things it sounds like it may need a truss rod adjustment. But without actually seeing it, I couldn't say for sure. I'm building my guitar at the moment. I had a Gibson ES 335 for a while, and a Les Paul w/p90s..I always find myself going back to my MIA Fender Strat though. Something about single coil pickups just sounds right to me vs humbuckers.

You've obviously never played through a Soldano, Mesa Boogie Rectifier, or 5150.

Bodeanicus
03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Let's start the morning off right, with some Dragons of Faggotry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s

Bodeanicus
03-20-2013, 09:49 AM
The King of Faggot Shredding. Isn't he awesome?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ8ml7eENuI

quido
03-20-2013, 10:06 AM
MAB sucks lol, gimmick guitarist

Shawn Lane greatest guitarist last 40 years, no question

I use this to generate some heady sounds without pissing off the neighbors too bad http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-5-pro/

Alawen
03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Alawen/Careful.jpg

I've been playing this black Strat for about twenty years. It's usually strung with Slinkys. The whammy is a factory installed Kahler Spyder, but years go by when I don't use it at all. I've played through a lot of amps. I'd rather have a cheap amp and good hands than a great amp and few skills.

nichomachean
03-20-2013, 12:00 PM
I applaud folks who play Strats and Teles and other single-coil instruments.

I love the tone of single coils but I have such a hard time getting over the signal noise that accompanies them. I am hoping some day I will just get over myself, go out and find a really nice Telecaster or soapbar guitar, and never look back. ;)

Bodeanicus
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Alawen/Careful.jpg

I've been playing this black Strat for about twenty years. It's usually strung with Slinkys. The whammy is a factory installed Kahler Spyder, but years go by when I don't use it at all. I've played through a lot of amps. I'd rather have a cheap amp and good hands than a great amp and few skills.

That is a real guitar.

Bodeanicus
03-20-2013, 12:33 PM
I applaud folks who play Strats and Teles and other single-coil instruments.

I love the tone of single coils but I have such a hard time getting over the signal noise that accompanies them. I am hoping some day I will just get over myself, go out and find a really nice Telecaster or soapbar guitar, and never look back. ;)

There are many ways around the 60 cycle hum of single coils.

These guys sell pickups that eliminate, or severely reduce the interference:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pickups_c_7.html

Alawen
03-20-2013, 01:21 PM
I kinda like the hum. It's like the subconscious murmurs of an old friend.

This will probably be my guitar until the day I die. There's something special about the way it feels and sounds. If I were in the market, though, I've always had a thing for PRS.

Brysenjg
03-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Cool strat Alawen! I'm still currently working on mine, working out some neck adjustment issues but it should be finished soon. I don't mind the hum either..from my experience noiseless single coil pickups sound sterile to me..kind of lifeless.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s387/Brysenjg/IMG_20130221_154821_662_zpsc423ee67.jpg

nichomachean
03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
There are many ways around the 60 cycle hum of single coils.

These guys sell pickups that eliminate, or severely reduce the interference:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pickups_c_7.html

Interesting. I would be curious to hear how they manage noise canceling of 60 hz hum whilst remaining a single coil. I've put a few different dual-rail, single-coil-size pickups into a couple different Strats and Teles, but those are obviously humbuckers and their sound reflects that.

May be worth a purchase and investigation; thanks for the tip!

Bodeanicus
03-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Interesting. I would be curious to hear how they manage noise canceling of 60 hz hum whilst remaining a single coil. I've put a few different dual-rail, single-coil-size pickups into a couple different Strats and Teles, but those are obviously humbuckers and their sound reflects that.

May be worth a purchase and investigation; thanks for the tip!

I think they have a small dummy coil in there that's not active. It's essentially a stacked humbucker in single coil mode, If I remember correctly. I may be wrong, though.

Bodeanicus
03-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Nice guitar, by the way.

Crazrum
03-21-2013, 06:54 PM
I have a Blackstar HT-5R that I absolutely love. It's tube, only 5 watts, but it will get pretty loud (for home use) and it still sounds great at bedroom volume if that is a concern. It has a hard time keeping up with a drummer though. It runs around $400-450. If you're playing metal, you will need an overdrive with it. I used a cheap Boss SD-1 ($30 new, cheaper off craigslist or whatever) for a long time and it sounded great. Nowadays, I use a Keeley mod SD-1 and with EMGs, the tone is just absurd.

For $400 there are a lot of good choices for guitars. I may have missed it, but do you have a particular style of guitar in mind? I had an Ibanez S470 at one point. It was great for rock and metal, and cost $399 I think. These days I prefer my Les Pauls though. I'm too lazy to have anything but a fixed bridge anymore.

RipinpeaceTMO2013
03-21-2013, 07:35 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd9y05-kQFcmiwCtJTJy8_OJwsT3Bw49vG13hXYEAyYc-xz8sh

OforOppression
03-21-2013, 07:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nCKbBup.png