Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 11:29 AM
Aviak

Greetings Norrath!

The day has come to face off in the 3v3 Team Test of Tactics tournament, and have some fun doing so. Come watch or participate at the Arena adjacent to Lake Rathetear, at 8PM EST. There will be prizes raffled off for both participants and spectators.

Please try to get there at least 30 minutes early. <Dial-A-Port> is aware of the event and will make efforts to have members online as early as 6PM EST to shuttle people. Feel free to reach out to them if you need a port.

There has been overwhelmingly positive reception to this event, and the initial brackets are already full, however we will be making every effort to squeeze in teams that still want to participate but have not yet registered.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Hope to see you all there!
Last edited by meathook; 07-31-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Old 07-31-2020, 11:33 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiva [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looks like Kingdom retracted their contribution? That's the only change I noticed.
Nope - Kingdom's contribution is still in the prize pool.

Have fun today and good luck.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:43 AM
Kobold

Concur about boulders and shuriken of tranquil - these are broken items for the era and should be restricted to no use the same way that clickys can't be used.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Hype for tonight, Someone please Stream or Record the event!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:43 PM
Skeleton

no shadowstep or jboots, yikes.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:59 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I misread meathoook's response with shurikens.. apparently "he won't be using them" but can just as easily lend them to another guildie? You see the issue with them by you not using them yourself, why is it so difficult to not just ban them entirely? When the vote was made on banning the items, BL did not vote, and would like proof of the vote even happening? 272 dmg every 1.5 seconds on casters with no counter play is unplayable. There are enough issues with melee correctly jousting/being able to find hit box with ping; while using this you can easily hit from end to end on the arena platform every time.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:05 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathook [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In the interest of transparency, I'm going to answer some of the concerns here.

You are correct that I have Shurikens. You are unfortunately, not correct that I make the rules, since the rules are mostly virtual copy/pastes from the original ToT documents. However, there were several sticky issues that were brought up, including the use of Shuriken of the Tranquil and Throwing Boulders that I recused myself from. Instead, the decision to allow these (among other matters) was made by 4 representatives of the guilds who sponsored the event, including guilds that individuals criticizing these items are members of. They unanimously agreed to allow both items.

Even with that, the problem is that if I enter the tournament and place with Shurikens, it's a bad look regardless. So I will not be using them.
You might not be using them yourself, but that won't stop you from giving a guildie your stockpile to use. Melee pvping in this game is hard enough; with ping and hit box timing for jousts or just meleeing in general. Casters will rarely land any spells at all. While monks who have been stockpiling these will auto win, except against other monk teams who did the same. It's 272 dmg roughly every throw that lands on a caster every 1.5 seconds, and can hit from anywhere on the platform. Boulders/Shurikens are literally the only "game breaking" non clicky items out, there is no reason to be worried about going down a rabbit hole on banning anything else. I didn't realize this was such a difficult decision to make?
Last edited by LimittzW; 07-31-2020 at 02:29 PM..
Old 07-31-2020, 02:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimittzW [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't realize this was such a difficult decision to make?
It shouldnt be. Even if this is as close to the original pvp event from 20 years ago im sure they would have banned them back then if they had the knowledge we have today. The same way GMs nerf known bugs on the server today even if they want to stay as classic as possible.
The only way to counter this is being out of los from whoever is throwing and since running around the firepots and throne is forbidden it makes it really nearly impossible. I can only think of running around your own pet as a meatshield like a way to dodge it but with all the other things going on its not realistic.

I agree it would look bad if OP were to use them being the one arranging this and actively trying to buy them recently, but its still going to look bad if any monk using them are on the winning team. This thread has raised the awareness of the perks with the shurikens and im sure more monks are using them if OP doesnt disallow it.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Had to hop on a flight last minute to head out of town today, sad I won’t be able to watch the event. GL all and hope there are some videos
Old 07-31-2020, 03:33 PM
Banned

oof economy class
RiP
Closed Thread