Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

You can beat cliff golems without Torpor, but they're resistant enough that every now and then you'll get one that resists slow half a dozen times and leaves you practically out of mana right off the bat. On top of that, their drop rate is miniscule at best. The wife and I have killed hundreds of those things over the years and we've seen a Torpor spell drop only once. I regard cliff golems as something to do when you're bored and can't think of anything better. If you plan to fight these for your spell, it's possible you'll get a drop, but it's more likely you'll burn out and quit out of boredom first.

Danth
Old 12-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are a 60 shaman then your best bet is to farm the pp. Try to relax and remember that its about the journey: getting your epic and torpor ARE the game, not some prequel to the real game that will come afterwards. Have fun, make friends, farm cash. You can make a ton of pp solo doing very easy camps for a 60 shaman (even without torpor).

If you really want a torpor NOW the best bet is to join a guild that clears that stuff regularly.
You are Brad McQuaid and I claim my GBP5.

For you it might be about the journey. For a huge number of players (and by future developments after EQ, pretty much the vast majority, in fact many fold times the audience EQ achieved) its about enjoying the game with completed characters in raids, events and even PvP.

One of the nuttier aspects of the EQ design was that the best way to keep people playing was to give them repetitive, time consuming grinds in place of properly designed, varied end game content. The idea that you would be best spending 220 hour farming Seafuries or probably much more time trying to get lucky in a /random is as ridiculous today as similar mechanics were back in 1999.
Last edited by EdTuBrutus; 12-05-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Old 12-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I happen to agree with you, but not because of this argument.

The total number of shamans at lvl60 on p99 (not currently logged in) is greater than the number of 60 shamans on live servers in this era. So, there is something to be said about the skewed server population here affecting the demand for torpor. Like all other things on p99 players know how valuable this is for a shaman. The conditions on p99 def make Torpor harder to get your hands on here than on live during the same era.

I just happen to think that its a fair price and its more classic not to tinker with the drop rate than it is to make it more common. There are lots of things that fall into this category on p99, some of them make the game easier than it was on live...some of them make it harder. It is what it is, and I think the devs would do more harm than good if they tried to tune the knobs to make the server "feel" more classic.
This is at the heart of the question as to "what is Classic?". Is classic trying to reproduve the class distribution of 1999 or about trying to offer a realistic representation of what was like to play a class in 1999 or whether it should just be about creating the look and feel of the game in 1999.

My personal goal is the third of these, which P99 delivers. It looks like EQ 1999 and feels like EQ 1999. Delivering on that is enough for me, I don't need it to have the absolute skull numbing boredom of farming for hundreds of hours.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTuBrutus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is at the heart of the question as to "what is Classic?". Is classic trying to reproduve the class distribution of 1999 or about trying to offer a realistic representation of what was like to play a class in 1999 or whether it should just be about creating the look and feel of the game in 1999.

My personal goal is the third of these, which P99 delivers. It looks like EQ 1999 and feels like EQ 1999. Delivering on that is enough for me, I don't need it to have the absolute skull numbing boredom of farming for hundreds of hours.
Its in the eye of the beholder. There isn't much to do in a static EQ server, especially one that is helplessly behind the curve. Most of the players here have played this content ad nausiam for years on multiple fully "finished" characters. For those of us who keep playing past that point it isn't skull numbing boredom to log in and play just for the fun of playing: Meeting people, making a few k, helping someone out with a quest, random buffing, farming a rare item, etc.

Not everyone enjoys the game the same way. My sense is that as p99 gets older and approaches perma-static status the incentive to chase pixels for many of us dwindles, but we keep playing because the game is still fun for other reasons. There are tons of "casual" players on p99 that have amassed huge sums of plat just by playing here for years. One of the differences between live and p99 is that the extended nature of the servers allows even casuals who have been playing long enough to be loaded with items and cash.

In any case, my whole suggestion to the OP was that if you are the driven to get all the goodies the fastest way is to just join a guild. You'll be decked out in no time.
Closed Thread