Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s a past event, assuming you are referring to our most recent recession due to the housing bubble bust. Shall we list ever colossal waste of money by the government in the past? Because I can think of a few

What is the cost of hundreds of millions of Americans * the cost of an undergrad degree?

Then what policy will fund that amount of money. Like I said, I’d love everyone to have unicorns and free money too. It’s time to come back down to earth and explain how
Attachment 15891

This is a rightwing source -- so I'm not 100% on it.

But essentially forgiving all student debt is a little excessive. But that's only because it includes a lot of very expensive institutions. It gets more reasonable down toward the 50K mark. Keep in mind that can be adjusted so that the very poor get more than the less poor.

None of this is really being discussed though. Biden won. He never said he was going to forgive all student loan debt. He said like up to 40K only on public universities (which is because most previously public institutions are now private -- its a way of lowballing). He put precisely zero effort into pushing it through.

How you pay for it is very uninteresting. You take out debt -- then try to tax or cut a similar amount in other areas. If don't (we often don't) the value of the U.S.D might drop a small amount. This impacts certain areas more than others.

The reason I say might, is because the entire world uses USD as their reserve currency. It's always in demand and we get away with more being the United States than any other country as far as inflated our currency goes.

This is the pricing history of the USD:

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy/charts

There is no sharp declines in value after big spending. Notice the USD strength doesn't track particularly well with how good the economy is doing for ordinary people.

The fact is though, if you print more USD than you produce (which does go up every year), the dollar strength will be somewhere below where it could have been. At least in theory.

That is way more likely to matter if you purchase things on the global market frequently. Generally wealthy people. And as shown, it doesn't seem to matter as much as they would have you believe.

That's only reason they oppose it though. There is also the fact that this economy as is, doesn't really produce enough college-level jobs. Because of this, they really don't want more people going to college. They want people happier to get a job at amazon. Underemployed college graduates are a huge source of instability all around the world. They are poor people that know too much for their own (individual level) good -- its dangerous to power.

The federal government also is currently profiting off of loan payback. This is all more money they don't have to pay.

Many don't want increased competition for their fail sons. There is basically nothing particularly appealing about free college to the well-off. So it's not surprising the two elite parties find a way to explain that "we can't afford it."

Budgets are about priorities.
Last edited by Rogean; 04-17-2024 at 05:01 PM..
Old 10-01-2021, 06:20 PM
Banned

Remember when the government spent trillions on 5 wars and we're still not naked... Then cut taxes for the richest and highest earners, then did it again, and again, and again. We still not naked.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:23 PM
Banned

Lol excessive as in more expensive than literally anything else?

Yeah

So we give a tiny boost to a tiny segment of this generation who currently has student loan debt? And how do the low skill workers who never had an opportunity to rack up student loan debt get helped again?

Universities taking care of their voters, how adorable. My heart gushes
Old 10-01-2021, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol excessive as in more expensive than literally anything else?

Yeah

So we give a tiny boost to a tiny segment of this generation who currently has student loan debt? And how do the low skill workers who never had an opportunity to rack up student loan debt get helped again?

Universities taking care of their voters, how adorable. My heart gushes
That is what we call whataboutism.

But yea, those poor workers could you know -- go to college now. Unless some retard with more privilege decides their "too old."

Not everyone will which is this is not the only policy being suggested.

Edit:
Quote:
Among the Class of 2019, 69% of college students took out student loans, and they graduated with an average debt of $29,900, including both private and federal debt.
Last edited by JurisDictum; 10-01-2021 at 06:36 PM..
Old 10-01-2021, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is what we call whataboutism.

But yea, those poor workers could you know -- go to college now. Unless some retard with more privilege decides their "too old."

Not everyone will which is this is not the only policy being suggested.
Wait wait wait, you have it listed in your handy pic as forgive student loan debt

I assume you mean cost of CURRENT student loan debt. Remember when past things and current things trip you up?

So are the costs to forgive all current student loan debt AND any future debt for all Americans? Or is to forgive the current student loan debt? I might just me misunderstanding
Old 10-01-2021, 06:43 PM
Banned

Forgiving student debt is such a giant fuck you to the people that payed off their loans in the responsible manner. They get screwed 2.3x. 1 time for when they payed the loans originally, another 1 time for the "income support" they'd miss out on, and finally the .3x times for the income taxes that were payed on the original 1x.

I've never voted, but if student loans are forgiven, then I'll be a hard-line voting Republican moving forward.

Nevermind that the college educated might not be the group of people in this country that should be first in line to receive handouts. Perhaps solving the homeless problem should come before making a mockery of contract law.
Last edited by bomaroast; 10-01-2021 at 06:46 PM..
Old 10-01-2021, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Wait wait wait, you have it listed in your handy pic as forgive student loan debt

I assume you mean cost of CURRENT student loan debt. Remember when past things and current things trip you up?

So are the costs to forgive all current student loan debt AND any future debt for all Americans? Or is to forgive the current student loan debt? I might just me misunderstanding
I guess he did campaign on cancelling student debt, I forgot about that.

Can always count on a Dem to lie. 😎🍦
Old 10-01-2021, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forgiving student debt is such a giant fuck you to the people that payed off their loans in the responsible manner. They get screwed 2.3x. 1 time for when they payed the loans originally, another 1 time for the "income support" they'd miss out on, and finally the .3x times for the income taxes that were payed on the original 1x.

I've never voted, but if student loans are forgiven, then I'll be a hard-line voting Republican moving forward.
It’s also a giant fuck you to the current poor, who haven’t had a chance to actually generate some student loan debt. I don’t think the government is talking about an $85,000/each loan to them (probably more to afford to quit their jobs and be a full time student) for when they decide to go to college

So the costs are actually completely off. Unless the gov’t really wants to pass a bill to give free money to a current generation of liberals who voted for them (aka college students who aren’t old enough to have paid off their debt)

Like I said, my heart gushes for their compassion
Old 10-01-2021, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old dude with Pelosi right now asking Congress if they have any spare change
annnd we do!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-01-2021, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thats the total cost of what it would take to forgive all student loan debt compared to what it has costed so far to run all those other programs. So moving foward, forging strudent loan debt would cost less than the food stamp program. Food stamps is like 79.22 billion a year.

And that's if we are just like: "are you a college student with debt? Here's 50K!"

This is the Brookings institute. So they showed it in a way to make the expense look the least charitable they could. Probably by including private debt etc.
Closed Thread