Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You vastly overestimate North American broadband and telecomm infrastructure. There were still many many many people on dial up in the early '00's and even on a 56k modem most weren't getting 56k speeds on their crappy antiquated phone lines.
I was on less than 56k dialup until I went to college in 2001 and had cable internet in the dorms for the first time. Thankfully eq requires very little in terms of data transfer rates so the speed of the connection (size of the pipe) for this game is less important than the stability of the connection and physical proximity to the server.

Going LD every time someone picked up the phone was fun.

It wasn’t until closer to 2010 that I ever experienced pings reliably under 200 even with “high speed” internet.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-20-2019, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallzDeep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My memory of ToV back in the day was around 100+ people in the zone and it was frame by frame.
I remember casters/healers turning to face walls and/or pointing the camera directly at the ground in those situations to reduce the lag to a playable rate. I don't know how the hell melee and tanks functioned.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know how the hell melee and tanks functioned.
Turn off particles and look at the mobs' feet, and make sure there was proper air circulation around the modem.

At least getting blinded is acceptable in the Velious UI. Remember getting blinded with Classic UI? OMG it was like your entire computer locked up mid-frame.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Banned

Not classic

Should have forced mob rotations with one attempt first

You're desecrating Brad's vision
Old 08-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by enesis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember we worked a few times with PS/Core vs the AM zerg... now (some) Riot folks are slinging shit the same way AM did during that period. Take a look at the bigger picture fellas and try to keep your noses clean.
There's a lot more history here than you're considering -- certainly more than "during that period".

This is like going to your class reunion and seeing that the jock asshole everyone hated through elementary, middle, and high school has gotten fat and is the assistant manager at the local Dairy Queen.

I don't think any of the commentary by Riot members has been disparaging toward AEGIS. If so, that would be over the line IMHO.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:03 PM
Sarnak

I seem to recall Aftermath relentlessly bagging on AW/PS for AoW team ups. We've now come full circle!
Old 08-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Aviak

Monrezz has an excuse for that too. It all makes perfect sense.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:44 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercanuck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your memory is waning.
It's not bad memory. It's a folie a deux shared by everyone on the server except a select group of AM assholes who spend too much time on RnF.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercanuck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your memory is waning.
Nope, I was there. Something, something feeder guild...
Old 08-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Fire Giant

Oh well, my example was because as soon it became available by provider before it was announced i had it pre hired. But its true would be hard to simulate a 56k
Closed Thread