Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default So How are mages?

I am not looking for the most uber class out there in the late levels I want something that can farm relatively well and may go into dungeon crawl. Thought about necro but thats almost cheating [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

My biggest concerns are pet tanking and pet agro I know even on live pet can have a hard time holding agro from mage.

I havnt done much mage on live so fairly low experience on this class max lvl 15-20 if I recall right.

If I make one might go human or gnome.

Human: pros str is much higher carrying bags and loot easier.
cons: bland race and no vision at night.

Gnome: pros small can fit into tight spots good faction if agnostic
cons: average str plp like to punt gnomes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Religion while usually it doesn't matter too much is there anything cool I am missing out on by not taking one ... or even going an evil gnome/human mage for flavor both can worship The Plague Bringer?

(Human can worship more good gods not sure if anything useful there item wise)
Last edited by solduios; 03-11-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Planar Protector

Mages are the scourge of Norrath.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Skeleton

Religion wise it's better to be agnostic; there's really nothing amazing for mages that is religion specific and agnostic makes faction way less complicated whether you are a good/evil race. As far as race goes, just pick whatever looks cool. It's very easy to hit the int cap and mages really don't need gear at early levels.

As far as soloing pet tanking really isn't a problem. Most people are going to recommend you solo with the fire pet, I leveled my mage fairly quickly using the fire pet exclusively (the innate damage shield on the firepet typically outweighs the benefit of the increased HP of the earth pet).

Make sure you do the Sol magician quests for the mage focus items ASAP, Torch of Alna, Shovel of Ponz ect. These items increase the HP of your pet and make a very big difference, especially at lower levels.

If you're pulling aggro from your pet, then you're doing something wrong. Your basic routine is going to be:

1. Use level 1 nuke to pull mob
2. Send pet in
3. Wait
4. Once mob starts to run either use the clicky from your focus item or hard cast reclaim energy. This will kill your pet; the reason to do this is that you've done almost no damage to the mob, your pet has done all the work. If your pet does more than 50% damage you only get 50% experience from the kill. The solution is to reclaim your pet then nuke the mob down, getting full exp.
5. Resummon, rinse, repeat.

There are some variations to the above (you can chain summon etc.) but generally that is what is safest/easiest. The real problem with mages is that they have no CC: you will be able to dungeon crawl solo to a degree but will inevitably reach camps that you cannot break yourself (which is lame, we don't even get root). This really isn't a huge deal if your interest is farming plat; mages make pretty good farmers and require no gear to be effective, though the clicky cinder bolt staff certainly helps.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

doesn't really matter what race you pick, you can lvl a mage up to 50 more or less naked.

DE has hide ability..i guess that's kind of cool?

[ANONYMOUS] dip|o the Conjurer
Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

Mages the most broken non-classic class on P99. Stay away.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mages the most broken non-classic class on P99. Stay away.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 03-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Fire Giant

I love my mage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love my mage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one said you can't have fun with them but the class does not play even close to the way it did on live.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one said you can't have fun with them but the class does not play even close to the way it did on live.

In what way? Just curious...

Kadatha Sharptail <BDA> ~ Level 40 Iksar Monk
Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aborath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In what way? Just curious...
Pet threat.
Closed Thread